Post event thoughts of weekend from Showmasters

Being prepared by reading all the info is one thing. But plenty of people here have been going for years (myself included), so don't tell people that moaning about overcrowding is due to being unprepared. I knew it would be busy, so picked the quietest of the three days, made a printed schedule, got extra fivers out, you name it. Still ended up struggling to get around the venue because of the sheer volume of people.

So you were there for one day only? With a load of things to do? Not being flexible to change times? And it was overcrowded, so the ticket number should be limited? Of course, limited for other people, not for you, because YOU need to be there of course ;)

I had 2 clashes and 1 photoshoot where I was told to come back to a later one (all on Friday). I was constantly running between 2 photo areas. I don't say, that it was easy... all I say is that it was not surprising, because I knew it in advance (Floor plans have been released on Monday, the photo time table even before that). I knew about my clashes and I knew where the photo areas will be.

If you read the comments here, some people seem to be thinking the con should be a "walk in the park" with only a handfull of people in queues and less ticket sales, so they can be comfortable. Of course, less tickets means that OTHERS shouldn't get any - not themselves...

That's not how it works.

As for heat - yes, people know it'll be hot in July. But look out the window today - grey and windy. Friday and Sunday were peeing it down with rain. And I remember an Entertainment and Media Show in October that was so hot people went around in t-shirts - outside.

Oh, so the weather is also a matter of Showmasters?

It's July, so the chances for having a very hot day are quite "good". It's nice if it's not that hot, but if it is, it should not be surprising at all. That's what I meant to say...

BTW: I had to put my jacket on during MJF Talk at Superstage on Saturday because of the A/C being quite cool...

• Like 1

I said it before and I say it again. Im not happy with the photo ops here at the London Con. I went to many many conventions and usually the photos are not that close like here and I dont understand why. Someone here told me no problem just tell the photographer to take it like you want but everyone who was at the convention knows, thats not how its working. I tried but it was so busy and actually some photographers did like I said but not everyone. Im very unhappy with a few pictures. For example if you wanna get it signed afterwards or whatever, its always nicer if its not that close. I compare here now a pic from london and a pic from another convention somewhere else. Am I the only one who is not happy with that?

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1463506937301902&l=5d4b8694d6

To be honest, I'd rather have one like the left hand one, a bit closer so I can see faces better. Just my personal view though, and we're equally entitled to them, neither's right or wrong!

I too prefer the Showmaster Pic, I went to another event this year and the pictures where full body shots with lots of background around the edges

very Meh

1 - Have the preview afternoon by for ticket pickup and vendors only. No signing/photo ops. This would mean that people can be processed without being rushed and also gives people a chance to have a proper look around the vendors (something that I wasn't able to do this year). Also maybe have an hour set aside before doors open each day to process tickets that weren't done at the previews.

Regular tickets were processed in the queues before the start on Saturday, I saw wristbands being handed out.

Ticket pickup the day before makes sense, you have people inside setting up anyway. But its the vendors who take the longest to set up. An afternoon might be possible I suppose.

Diamond pass for Chiristopher Lloyd worked really well and i will defo do it again for big guests.

A big thank you also to the female crew member on chris lloyds desk on sunday. I had a paid power rangers talk to get to and was v worried i wouldnt get my autograph but she gave me my ticket and promised it would be ok. Went away and the talks were running late and i sent my friend along to get the auto and she remembered i was the girl in the green power rangers dress and had my pass punched and let him get my auto for me whilst i was in the talk.

sounds like a little thing but after paying all that money i was v worried and she was super. If she is reading these forums well done :)

Definately agree diamond passes are the way forward, would also suggest maybe VIP ones and you get lunch or something

Only gripe I had was they turned the lights in the auditorium down during sigourney weavers talk on Sunday and had to strain my eyes to see. Near the end during the Q and A she even asked for he lights to be turned up as she couldn't see who was speaking to her.

I said it before and I say it again. Im not happy with the photo ops here at the London Con. I went to many many conventions and usually the photos are not that close like here and I dont understand why. Someone here told me no problem just tell the photographer to take it like you want but everyone who was at the convention knows, thats not how its working. I tried but it was so busy and actually some photographers did like I said but not everyone. Im very unhappy with a few pictures. For example if you wanna get it signed afterwards or whatever, its always nicer if its not that close. I compare here now a pic from london and a pic from another convention somewhere else. Am I the only one who is not happy with that?

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1463506937301902&l=5d4b8694d6

To be honest, I'd rather have one like the left hand one, a bit closer so I can see faces better. Just my personal view though, and we're equally entitled to them, neither's right or wrong!

I too prefer the Showmaster Pic, I went to another event this year and the pictures where full body shots with lots of background around the edges

very Meh

The other event I believe prints photoshoots at a size which is 48% larger than that which you receive from Showmasters. It is a considerably larger print.

You also have 100% of yourself and the actor in the photo, whereas you might have only 25-30% in standard showmasters landscape head-n-shoulders. But I guess it is a matter of preference indeed!

I would say though, if you shoot 3/4 length portrait (so the floor isn't showing) or full-body (if you have a backdrop which also extends onto the floor), you still retain the ability for the customer themselves to crop to a landscape head-n-shoulders if they so desire. That's not an option if you are only shooting landscape head-n-shoulders.

Personally if I'm paying for a photo of me and an actor, I'm in the camp that prefers to have as much of myself/actor in the photo as possible.

Being prepared by reading all the info is one thing. But plenty of people here have been going for years (myself included), so don't tell people that moaning about overcrowding is due to being unprepared. I knew it would be busy, so picked the quietest of the three days, made a printed schedule, got extra fivers out, you name it. Still ended up struggling to get around the venue because of the sheer volume of people.

So you were there for one day only? With a load of things to do? Not being flexible to change times? And it was overcrowded, so the ticket number should be limited? Of course, limited for other people, not for you, because YOU need to be there of course ;)

I had 2 clashes and 1 photoshoot where I was told to come back to a later one (all on Friday). I was constantly running between 2 photo areas. I don't say, that it was easy... all I say is that it was not surprising, because I knew it in advance (Floor plans have been released on Monday, the photo time table even before that). I knew about my clashes and I knew where the photo areas will be.

If you read the comments here, some people seem to be thinking the con should be a "walk in the park" with only a handfull of people in queues and less ticket sales, so they can be comfortable. Of course, less tickets means that OTHERS shouldn't get any - not themselves...

That's not how it works.

As for heat - yes, people know it'll be hot in July. But look out the window today - grey and windy. Friday and Sunday were peeing it down with rain. And I remember an Entertainment and Media Show in October that was so hot people went around in t-shirts - outside.

Oh, so the weather is also a matter of Showmasters?

It's July, so the chances for having a very hot day are quite "good". It's nice if it's not that hot, but if it is, it should not be surprising at all. That's what I meant to say...

BTW: I had to put my jacket on during MJF Talk at Superstage on Saturday because of the A/C being quite cool...

If it matters, I had 4 photo shoots. I planned just fine and wasn't rushed at all. I ended up adding another shoot because I could fit it in.

I'm far from the only one thinking it was overcrowded, if you read the thread. Lots of people are saying numbers should be limited - I'm one of many saying that more venue space is fine, if it means we have space to move around in. More venue space but more people gives the same problem we had this time. Keeping the entrance ticket numbers limited would apply to everyone - I'd have just the same chance as anyone else of getting one, depending on how quickly I could get online, have the money, or decide to go. If they announce a lot of Star Wars guests and all the SW fans buy all the entrance tickets meaning that there are none left by the time a guest I want is announced, then I don't go - pretty simple, and expected.

I'd not planned to go Saturday or Sunday this time, because Saturday is past busy and Sunday I was due to run a 10K race. Then they announced Jonathan Pryce and I got injured. I deliberated, unable to decide if I should go or not, and then they sold out - they hit their quota and that's it. No complaints, because it's no-one's fault. (In the end I ran/walked the 10K, had a great time and got to run a lap in the Olympic Stadium, so you know, goodness of a different kind).

Most people asking to cap attendance as it is while expanding venue space are going to be the same - they won't buy a ticket until there's someone they want to see, they can afford it and they know they're free. If it's sold out in the meantime - you accept it, and see if there's another way to do it - such as going on another day, or crewing (which I did look at this time, but discounted).

As for turning round and saying it's all about ME and limiting so I get what I want... The way your original post read was "I had no problems because I planned it perfectly, so anyone who is complaining didn't plan enough". Maybe that wasn't your intention, but it read that way. Plenty of the people here complaining and making suggestions have been to multiple events, over many years. So if newbies didn't prepare, then your comment is valid. But plenty of veterans know how to plan, and had issues.

I've been to some brilliant SM events - ones where the only real problem was having to wait while they sent photos out for printing and you had to wait hours to see if there was a problem with the photo or not. Crowding round a table to spot yours as they laid them out. But crew largely knew what they were doing, you could move around, good range of vendors, talks you could get into and hear... What we're saying is the quality was there and has suffered a little while the size has grown. We want to get the quality back. SM have shown how good they can be - that's why we want them to get back to that, rather than constantly growing with problems.

And I never said SM controlled the weather. They're powerful, but have a limit! You were the one saying "Stop complaining people, it's July you should expect it to be hot". My point was that you can't expect July to be *anything* - it's England, being random with weather is what we do best.

Edited by Firecracker
  • Like 6

I read about the problems on Twitter on Saturday but on Sunday everything seemed to run smoothly. Just a couple of things that could be improved. The Michael J Fox shoot on Sunday in Photo Area A - this was obviously a popular shoot but the area was also near the back steps meaning a constant flow of traffic was trying to get through all the people waiting to have their MJF photo taken. This through traffic did include people in wheelchairs who were having difficulty getting passed all of us waiting. It was impossible for us to all stand next to the wall out of the way as there were so many people for the shoot - standing at the back you couldn't hear if your batch number was being called. For popular photoshoots more space away from the people traffic flow would be appreciated - particularly as it was so hot and crowded - not comfortable waiting conditions at all.

Another thing was that because there were so many people - by the time the MJF shoot was starting one of the showmasters crew had lost his voice from shouting out numbers and trying to make himself heard to everyone. He had a board to write things on and hold up, but why can't they have headset mics - they wouldn't lose their voices - people would be able to hear the batches being called and then could stand back a bit and not crush forward trying to hear.

Also all the batches were in one big crowe - could there not be signs at the front for people to queue behind - perhaps - Diamond & Gold up front then Batch 1, Batch 2, Batch 3, Batch 4.

Downstairs there wasn't really anywhere for people to relax - when they bought food they had to sit on the floor in a very small area - comicon is exhausting so it would be nice to have a bit more space for time out to eat and drink - the cafeteria area on floor 1 was constantly full so no seats there.

All in all though this was one of my favourite cons as with so many stalls it was much easier to stay all day as you never ran out of things to do. This kind of event would take so much organisation so well done on sorting out some of the problems over the weekend.

Sorry for delay...i wish to thanks everyone here in the forum for aswering my questions (even the silly questions,but it was the first time in a Comic Con) and the guys of the crew (everyone very kind)...especially the big red one (it's wookie here in the forum, i suppose)...there is many ways to do this job,but your way is the best one,definitely.

I spent three great days...see you in November!

I read about the problems on Twitter on Saturday but on Sunday everything seemed to run smoothly. Just a couple of things that could be improved. The Michael J Fox shoot on Sunday in Photo Area A - this was obviously a popular shoot but the area was also near the back steps meaning a constant flow of traffic was trying to get through all the people waiting to have their MJF photo taken. This through traffic did include people in wheelchairs who were having difficulty getting passed all of us waiting. It was impossible for us to all stand next to the wall out of the way as there were so many people for the shoot - standing at the back you couldn't hear if your batch number was being called. For popular photoshoots more space away from the people traffic flow would be appreciated - particularly as it was so hot and crowded - not comfortable waiting conditions at all.

Another thing was that because there were so many people - by the time the MJF shoot was starting one of the showmasters crew had lost his voice from shouting out numbers and trying to make himself heard to everyone. He had a board to write things on and hold up, but why can't they have headset mics - they wouldn't lose their voices - people would be able to hear the batches being called and then could stand back a bit and not crush forward trying to hear.

Also all the batches were in one big crowe - could there not be signs at the front for people to queue behind - perhaps - Diamond & Gold up front then Batch 1, Batch 2, Batch 3, Batch 4.

Downstairs there wasn't really anywhere for people to relax - when they bought food they had to sit on the floor in a very small area - comicon is exhausting so it would be nice to have a bit more space for time out to eat and drink - the cafeteria area on floor 1 was constantly full so no seats there.

All in all though this was one of my favourite cons as with so many stalls it was much easier to stay all day as you never ran out of things to do. This kind of event would take so much organisation so well done on sorting out some of the problems over the weekend.

I couldn't agree more with your comments :)

• Like 1

My two cents, is that LFCC is growing too fast for a suitable venue (outside the excel center) to host it. This was my 6th, and probably my last, LFCC. Several factors have lead to that decision, the lack of a decent venue is the main one. I only went for Signourney Weaver, and - not having a diamond pass or being in the queue before 8am. I'm not gonna moan about diamond tickets. If people are willing to pay nearly $400 for autographs and photos, Showmasters would be mad to stop, or even reduce the amount. But I feel like I've been priced out of the big guests.

Good:

The comics section at the top. Not as crowded, and yes, you could feel the air con. I got to get John Wagner's autograph- who was aghast at how much people were paying for Michael J. Fox, and didn't hold it against me that I thought he had a cameo in Dredd (that'll teach me for not checking IMDB) when he didn't.

The red shirt with the long brown hair and jean shorts, who had a whole bunch of people wanting her help, but she dealt with my question about where Weaver's autograph queue was, so give her a bonus.

The stalls. I'm kicking myself for not some pop vinyls, but my girlfriend did at that big table doing a deal on 3, and that one stall doing fudge was pretty good too.

Catherine tate was nice to my girlfriend, while getting an autograph.

Bad:

Lack of proper signage. With most of us funneled around the floors, it was near impossible to read the signs for the virtual queues, if there was anything written at all. I checked on the Weaver queue around noon and there was nothing on it. I had idea of what numbers had been served, so I couldn't really figure if my VT (303) would be seen. So what with the heat, and my girlfriend's disability I cut my losses after a blue shirt said I was highly unlikely to get seen before 3 or 4pm. Also, having really large signs, pointing to major guests, or certain zones would have saved most people so much time, as it seemed most people needed help trying to find their way around.

Lack of space. This is kind of a three-part thing. The event is getting bigger each year, and while limiting the ticket sales stopped the awful pile ups of last year. The Olympia wasn't easy to walk around. The lanes between stalls was only wide enough for two rows of people, so when someone wanted to stop and look at something (which we've all done) then everything grinds to a halt. And it was even worse around the photo booths. That's not all SM's fault, there's a lack of decent-sized, modern, con venues in London. Earl's Court needing knocking down (but replaced with a new one, not posh flats) had all that space outside, where you could take a breather. Also, we're all guilty of this, but people need to be more aware of their surroundings. We're all gonna bump into each other, it's inevitable, but don't just stand there, chatting with your mates, right at the only proper entrance/exit. Or in the middle of any floor, for that matter.

Unrelated to the event, but it would help if the admin here got forum accounts verified quicker. I got an email on the Friday of the event, reminding me to get my tickets. I got worried, thinking it was something to do with the ticket validation (it's a booking fee, just call it that), so I tried to sign on here and I couldn't post a question. Luckily, someone else asked about it, because I nearly ended up not going.

Things change, the guests and crowds are getting bigger, but the costs are just getting too high- in terms of money and dealing with crowds and a boiling venue.

Unrelated to the event, but it would help if the admin here got forum accounts verified quicker. I got an email on the Friday of the event, reminding me to get my tickets. I got worried, thinking it was something to do with the ticket validation (it's a booking fee, just call it that), so I tried to sign on here and I couldn't post a question. Luckily, someone else asked about it, because I nearly ended up not going.

Sorry for that, but I am currently flying solo as an admin. That was the one show in 2 years I actually attended and I was travelling from Thursday on. Unfortunately I had to learn the hard way that the admin centre doesn't quite work on mobile phones when trying to do stuff there.

• 3 weeks later...

My thought on improving LFCC would be- have autographs all on same floor, have photo shoots all on same floor, move YALK to winter con & FINALY keep the num of tickets sold this year when adding the 3 extra halls next year DON'T add more tickets till the glitches with crouds are sorted.