Post event thoughts of weekend from Showmasters

If there is going to be a fourth day next year, could we have a confirmation on next years dates ?. So far I hear it's 22nd - 24th july 2016, that's 3 days

Jason said in the original post to expect the preview night to move to Thursday and Friday to become a whole day, so you're looking at preview night on Thur 21 July, with the main con on Fri 22 - Sun 24 July.

Okay I see now what jason is saying. I'll be attending next year the full 3 days and preview on Thursday

Genuine non-snarky question: I've been attending the last 4 or so years, sometimes summer, other times winter. I didn't get to summer this year, so having not seen it with my own eyes, is it worth travelling a long distance without going gold or diamond? I can't really afford to spend a lot on one guest (after travel, hotel etc) and I'd hate to travel hours having bought a ticket and not meet someone. Would it still be worth it?

So long as you are coming for the whole weekend the following is probably true.

If you are coming for a few specific guests then standard will do you.

If like me the number of guests you wanted to see is in dounle figures then gold is the way to go.

If you want to guarantee to see a specific guest and they are diamond, then that is the way to go but remeber that a diamond pass is for that guest only. It does not get you in the venue and has no Q-jumping power apart from that guest\guests. Only with a gold pass can you join the back of any non-diamond guest Q be it autograph or photoshoot.

If you are buying a diamond pass you realy need to attend all weekend, I know of people who had MJF diamond passes but only expected to come for the one day, most were accomodated but some were turned away.

Something else I learnt this year was that if you were a trader your pass acted as the same as a gold pass.

Jason -

Here was the original post about The Empire Strikes Back (note that the actual thread has now been deleted!)

"LFCC 2015 will be celebrating 35 years of The Empire Strikes Back

With this land mark year we will be bringing you some rare guests and important people that make this amazing film happen 35 years ago.

There will be first time signers and many things to do and see and opportunities to celebrate our love for this wonderful film

we just wanted to warn all the Star Wars fans out there this will be a big aspect of 2015's LFCC

see you all there

May the force be with you"

Ok we got a few first time signers and people who *could* be considered rare signers but where were the "many things to do and see" that were promised? None of the main cast were in attendance (Dave & Kenny aside but they do attend a LOT of cons) and there wasn't even so much as a prop / photo shoot related to the film. How on earth can this be considered a "big aspect"? Did some people pull out?

I bought my ticket based almost exclusively on this announcement and I feel quite let down by it.

Edited by jaythree
  • Like 4

Just one more question, how did some people get vip passes ? The only ones I seen availible was gold, diamond, Yalc or entry

I'd imagine the only people that get VIP passes are guests, sponsors and guests families

I wondered how people got them, now I know. Thanks

It's taken me a while to get round to this, but here's my experiences from last weekend. We had bought the weekend tickets ages ago, when physical tickets where still sent out. I was sold at the time by Colin Baker in his sixth Doctor costume photo shoot. As the time went on I was pleasantly surprised by the additional guests who where announced. Usually Showmasters announce guests whose work in the past I'd really enjoyed but hadn't thought of since. Although I didn't go for them myself (and it was only by a hair) I was majorly surprised by the reveal of both Michael J Fox and Sigourney Weaver. I hope this calibre of guests continues into the future.

We arrived at about 10.30am on Saturday and where dismayed to find the crowd stretching back through 6 streets. It took 10 mins to get to the end of the queue, which is quite daunting as you're walking past all the other attendees. My big concern was that I'd miss my 12.30 photo shoot with Colin Baker, however I needn't have worried. The queue moved continuously and my wife and I where in within 40 minutes. My friend joined us later in the afternoon and got straight in.

It seems to have been a lot more crowded this year, however given the high profile guests in attendance that was expected. I actually didn't get to look around many of the stalls as I ended up going from one photo shoot to the next. I have to praise Showmasters for the leap forward in photo technology. I remember previous cons where you had to wait an hour then crowd round a table to get your picture along with everyone else. The instant print was an absolute master stroke and made things so much easier.

One issue I had on the Saturday was at the Christopher Lloyd photo shoot. There where so many people waiting to go in there was barely any order, just a scrum of people. I'm not blaming the blue shirt supervisors for this (I can't think of an alternative myself). It must be difficult to control a crowd of so many people. However once the gold tickets and batches 1 and 2 made their way in things settled down. The lines do move pretty quickly after that.

My friend and I, both being BIG horror fans, went to meet Tom Savini (an absolute quality announcement for us). However he'd disappeared when we went to meet him. This was mid to late afternoon. I don't think he had a shoot (I'm sure his attendant would have told us) but he was gone for a good 20 mins. I had to leave to get to a shoot after that. It was disappointing but since he was there both days I figured I'd catch him later or on Sunday.

I had booked photo shoots with Zach Galligan and Robert Englund. These happened to clash at around 5 o clock (I think there was about 5 mins or so between them starting). I got my photo with Zach on the ground floor then raced upstairs to get the the Robert Englund shoot. I was told to go behind the cosplay area to get there quicker, however another attendant turned me away and told me I had to go the long way. Once I got to the photo shoot area I found out the R.E shoot had been moved upstairs to floor 3. This was massively frustrating (as Christopher Lloyds shoot had also been moved). However I made it in time. I had an issue with a fellow attendee during the queue for Englund. When I arrived I was last in the queue, shortly after 6 people joined. The man at the back decided he couldn't be bothered queueing and began sauntering down the side of the line to push in once we where nearer. I reported this situation to the blue shirt attendant at the door who, after a lot of nervous discussion with a colleague, politely informed the man that someone claimed he had pushed in. I came forward and vocalised that I'd made the complaint and that it wasn't fair to everyone else who had waited patiently in line. However he got away with it by pleading ignorance and claiming he didn't realise we had to queue. That left a very bad tasted at the end of the day but, again, this is not showmasters...or the attendants fault, simply the bad manners of a fellow attendee.

Overall we really enjoyed ourselves on the Saturday. The only issues where the last minute changes of photo shoot points. I can't help but think having all photo shoot points in one area, rather than spread across three floors, would be a lot more convenient for clashing shoots. Our feet where killing us as well after all the standing and walking around. Obviously there where issues with the main stair case but once we found the side stair cases it was just as easy to get about. All in all a good day. You better believe we slept long and deep after that.

Since my first photo shoot wasn't until 2pm my wife and I had time to pop our suitcase into Euston station and take a wander around Camden. Leaving for the con at 11.50pm we managed to get the overground with no issues to the venue. Once we arrived it was pretty much straight in. As I had time wandered about getting photos with cosplayers and mooching the stalls. Now one of the reasons I come to the cons is to pick up Blu Rays/DVDs I couldn't ordinarily get here. There used to be a lot of stalls in the past with special edition Blu Rays/DVDs from the states. I was quite disappointed that there where no such dealers this time round (or if there where I didn't see them). I don't blame Showmasters for this, or anyone really, I suppose it's luck of the draw who turns up and is selling what......I was also hoping to pick up some Garbage Pail Kid Flashback stickers but, despite sticker sellers being there, they didn't carry those. Anyway it was still lovely to browse through the toys I once had and DVDs and Blu Rays that where there.

First port of call was to meet Tom Savini. My friend had already made her way over and was gushing over him. He wasn't the most communicative celebrity I'd ever met but he wasn't rude, just quiet, plus the man is such a legend that I was just made up to meet him anyway. Following the signing he was my first photo shoot for the day. Again, very quiet, but it's a picture I'll treasure because I never thought I'd get to meet him.

My second, and final, photo shoot of the day was with Katherine Tate. Unfortunately this shoot had the exact same issue as Christopher Lloyd and was massively subscribed. No line or order (and the poor guy in charge had lost his voice at that point). However similar to Lloyd, once gold ticket holders and batches 1 and 2 went in it began moving quite quickly. Unfortunately the crowd was obstructing passers by and didn't seem incredibly safe. I can imagine it being very stressful for someone who suffers from anxiety issues.

Once I had collected my photo I took a leisurely stroll around the ground floor again. Browsing stalls, looking for stuff to buy. There where some amazing T-Shirts and cracking pictures that I would have loved to pick up. Unfortunately travelling by tube, then all the way back to Liverpool, meant a very real damage risk to the glass and frames. Maybe next time though.

Finally managed to get around to the authors section and had a nice chat with Robert Rankin and his wife. I'd been looking for him all weekend and only just found him before we left. I wanted to meet some of the illustrators too but by that point my wife and I where so tired we just wanted to leave.

So again, Sunday was very enjoyable, I don't know if it was my imagination but it seemed a little less crowded walking about. The same issues with the photo shoots as Saturday but so long as folk don't miss out then it's not a great issue.

Overall it was a very enjoyable weekend. Yes there where teething problems, as there always will be with an event of this size in a new venue, but the issues did seem to be addressed quickly. I think the problems with this event will be rectified for the next. As mentioned above maybe have the photo shoot areas in closer proximity rather than spread across different floors. It's difficult to get from the bottom right hand corner of the ground to the far left of floor 3 in a few minutes. However it didn't cause major issues this time. My friend, my wife and I all enjoyed ourselves and are already planning our return to meet George Romero in November.

• Like 3

This is the first con I have been too for a quite some years and I was mostly very happy. The guests I met Iain glen, the other GOT guests, The Musketeer and Penny Dreadful guests were wonderful and very sweet AND my anxiety behaved itself so I survived both Saturday and Sunday and was super happy with my photos and autos.

My only complaint was the heat which I found unbearable at times with the shear numbers of people there especially on Saturday I’m amazed I didn’t pass out or have an anxiety attack. But if the air cons are on and it still this hot I’m not sure what else SM can do apart from reducing the numbers of people in the venue at one time. It will be interesting to see what the temperature will be like at the London Winter Con.

Reading others comments I agree that photo shoots should be closer to the signing guests because getting from level 3 which is where I was most of time down to the floors below for photo shoots was very uncomfortable because of the heat and took ages to get to the right photo booth.

I found the crew that I spoke to very helpful and nice, the toilets were easy to find. On Saturday I arrived at 8.20 and the queue seemed enormous but as soon as the doors opened we got in within about 45 minutes and on Sunday I was there at 7.30 and when doors opened at 9am I was in by 9.15 easily so I was really pleased about that.

Overall it was with the exception of the heat and large numbers of people a very happy experience and one that will stay with me for a very long time.

Thanks SM.

• Like 1

It was by far the most stressful Showmasters event I have ever been to and do not want to go to another like it. Meeting the guests was enjoyable, but the event itself was not. The management and running of the show needs to be smoothed out and streamlined before it gets "even bigger". There is no point trying to run before you can walk. Badly run shows will alienate fans and ultimately guests too (and I saw a fair few of them look unhappily stuck in the crowds trying to get from place to place in time - just like the rest of us!).

This paragraph sums up my experience very well. I was there for only a single day (Sat), had travelled 3 and a half ours by car and had a lot I wanted to get done in a single day. I had DPs for MJF and CL but needed to take my chances with Bill Paxton and Sigourney Weaver autographs. On top of that, I wanted autos from all the BTTF cast and RDA. Because the layout changed overnight, my carefully laid plans went right out the window and it was noon before I finally got a handle on where everything was. There was chaos in some of the DP guest queues and even though I had a DP for him, I was VERY worried that I would not get my CL auto, considering how many other guests I wanted to meet and CLs other non-auto commitments (this was a bigger worry to me).

Simply put, this was one of the most stressful things that I've ever done. I can't say that I actually enjoyed myself on the day because of the stress of trying to secure autos or photos from the DP guests (even the ones I was guaranteed to get via my DPs and photo ticket purchases). It was chaos at some points and I agree with those who have said that both loud speakers and light up boards are necessary to help manage the folk queuing around in these areas.

If I was to return next year, I will certainly try and do less in a day and that might let me actually enjoy the other things that were there for us to see and do.

One thing that I have not seen anyone mention yet (forgive me if I've missed it somewhere in the 15 pages) would be the impact on the guests of adding an extra day. Jason, have you tested the waters with any guests to see if they would be willing to do a maximum of 3 and a half days? What concerns me is the possibility of the guests being burnt out by Sunday and dropping like flies. I learnt the hard way last year to not put all my hope on the last day (Stan Lee, too exhausted to do his full day) and it appears that certainly a few faces were missing from this Sunday too.

EDIT: I've just read that back and realised that I didn't say how HAPPY I was that I was able to meet so many wonderful guests. Sure, it was stressful and I was ill the next day from dehydration and fatigue, BUT I got to meet Sigourney Weaver, Michael J Fox, Bill Paxton, Chris Lloyd and loads of the BTTF cast. This was amazing and for many of us, this was a once-in-a-lifetime chance. So HUGE thanks to Jason and the SM team and all the blue and red shirts for putting this event on and making it happen.

Edited by Lucifer Adams
  • Like 1

I used to be a forum member years ago, but thought I would re-join after reading the posts concerning this years summer comic con.

Last year was awful, queued for over 7 hours with no staff in sight. By the time we got in, there was no chance of getting autographs (I really wanted John Hurt's) and to be honest we were exhausted and just needed water. So this year, we booked our tickets in advance and aimed to get to the venue no later than 8.30am.

The queues outside the tube station was chaotic, but there were staff present and giving out directions. We went with the flow and found the right queue. The queue was well managed and we got in by 9.30am. The venue was fantastic, I think moving there is the right way forward. There were teething problems with the layout, but Jason has talked about them and taken on board comments, and I think he has already got some good ideas to use next time (I agree with moving things round so they sit together better). It was very busy, but that was to be expected.

My personal good points: Was able to move round a bit better than in previous events (it was still busy, but I expected this). Thought the different floors was a great idea. Choice of guests was great (well varied). Stalls were well laid out. There was staff on hand. Liked the maps that gave you an idea of where to head. My personal bad points: The movement of people up & down floors was worrying, stuck to the lifts in the afternoon. Lack of signs, most of the time I stumbled upon where I wanted to get to. The information between staff (who I think did a fab job) was not handled correctly. We were queuing for the Michael J Fox talk on the Saturday and there was a lot of confusion of where to go. The girl who was manning the doors took a lot of flack from people (me included if I am honest), but she quickly found a solution to the problem, and everyone got in (so thank you to her for sorting it!!) Lack of a sitting area on the lower floors proved a bit hit & miss, but there was plenty of space on the top floors (but no-one really knew that these floors were there). My other gripe, but I need to remember it was the end of the day and the lovely Bill Paxton was a top billed guest (in my opinion), was that the staff looking after that area treated us as cattle. Money was exchanged to be shouted at and told to move quickly along, I suspect he felt rushed too, as he has made an error when signing stuff for the person in front of me (the staff member passing the stuff to him treated it like a conveyor belt, so I can see why he struggled keeping up with the speed they wanted).

I am still not a fan of the passes, but I can see the benefit of them and why they are here to stay. I just hope that it doesn't become a case of you need a pass more than just a general entry ticket to have a more enjoyable experience/guaranteed autos/photos. I think that certain stars should have passes allocated to help control the amount of people they meet (so not to stretch them to past the point of sheer exhaustion).

On the whole though I felt like it was a much more enjoyable comic con than last year, and I felt like that the problems that came up last year had been addressed (I'm not saying it was perfect, but I appreciate that I could see the team are doing the best to improve the event and listened to people).

Anyway that's my thoughts of comic con :o)

I would like to start off with a huge thank you for getting back to people on here Jason.

I would like to share my opinions of the weekend the good points and not negatives but ideas and feedback for next time.

1. First of all I think we have to start with the Diamond passes, Wow thank you so much these were a god send I could only afford two (Christopher Lloyd and Bill Paxton). To me these were exactly like you said only way to grantee I would get a Signature and that’s how I used them. On the Feedback side I would like to see more of these Autograph based as I have read other people say their not to interested in the photo side and well you can book photos with the guest before hand you cant book a signature, Maybe two types an autograph one and a Photo based one. Also to me the Diamond pass extras need work! I feel you are on the right track but you just let yourself down at the finishing post so to speak. The exclusive prints were just awful and not really exclusive at all as they were just screen grabs with LFCC branding. I can’t understand why/how you didn’t get the artist who did the amazing Back to the Future print or one of the many independent artists that you have attending working on all the prints with the Diamond passes! This would have actually been exclusives and unique. Also the T-shirts I have the same issue with the two back to the future ones were ok I suppose but the Freddy one was just awful in my opinion and again why didn’t you get one of the companies at the show help I loved Hard Time clothing’s Back to the future T-shirt and in fact all there designs were amazing and wouldn’t surprise me if you could have a done a deal with them seen as was selling at the show as well. As I say I never bought my diamond pass for these items but I know you could sell more if you put more in to these little things and Diamond pass holders would 100% leave with more satisfaction and non Diamonds that little bit more jealous.

2. Gold Pass well all I can say is this thing saved my bacon it got me in Saturday extremely earlier then expected allowing me a very low Sigourney Weaver VQ and Robert Englund and Richard Dean Andersons Signature which is all I wanted it for so it did its Job. Feedback side although it was sorted by the Saturday Friday the queue in was horrendous they were YALC ticket holders walking in that had queued less then 5 minutes why Gold pass members that had been there over an hour left still waiting and I'm almost positive I saw the general queue start going in before I did. The vouchers were awesome idea but left me rather upset/angry that I had planed how I needed to use them on the Friday to then see people using them on the Saturday! I know this isn’t a huge deal but did as I say leave me a little angry. I didn’t expect much in terms of value in the Gold pass goodie bag so how surprised was I with the X-men First Class cap I actually love this but I do admit I expect more items not of value but little things bag or crisps show program leaflets bottle of water etc.

3. Floor Plan/Layout I found it to be a great set up with only minimal exceptions I never found a set of stairs that wasn’t dead baring once which I will talk about in a second, I really enjoyed the layout created bigger environment. Feedback although I didn’t have a problem with the photo shoot areas been a part and new how to go between them with ease the one on level 3 I believe was F shouldn’t have been that far away from the rest as that was difficult to get to if you had a short gap in time. Also Photo shoot 3 the location of the queuing arrows were right in front of one set of stairs to level 3 and looked like it was causing problems for little while. I also think on a personal stand point it might have been better for the comic artists to have swapped places with the independent artists think this would have helped with pushing the Comic in Comicon J and having the local artists with the YALC just seems a better fit for me!

4. Staff, Wow thank you to everyone who volunteered I never got anything other the politeness and a smile you are a credit to yourselves. Feedback knowledge it didn’t seem like everything was briefed to staff I handed over on the Friday a £10 auto voucher for a £10 guest and was advised didn’t no what it was so could not except it, she then did ask the staff member with the guest next to her and he advised what to do and what it was so got their in the end but this shouldn’t have happened. Add then that I saw people using them Saturday it proved my point that not all staff had the right/same information! Personally it seems like might be an ideal to invest in more walkie talkies maybe?

5. Last item but just a few general things I feel like LFCC lacks a little in visual atmosphere some areas seem very bland and no colour seems like you could use more advertising here posters dropdowns music/audio adverts etc also some bigger companies having creative stalls like you see at SDCC. Maybe even an outside section. On SDCC I would like to see a lot more promotional companies coming to these events and a lot more LFCC exclusives like the Stan Lee Funko in 2014 and the Doc and Marty this year. Please get more of these from different companies maybe even a LFFC exclusive marvel Cover. Would love a LFCC/Showmasters exclusive Funko or personally Funko Reaction figure and I would put money on they are happy to come down to an event in future to help boost UK sales as none of the USA’s big companies have the presence in the UK toy market like they would want

Well that’s it from me I apologise for been so long but I had an amazing time at the show and wanted to share my thoughts and its took me over a week to come back down to reality. Again Thank you Jason and all of the Shomasters team.

James Merchwithamouthx Jackson

Just one more question, how did some people get vip passes ? The only ones I seen availible was gold, diamond, Yalc or entry

There was only one guy I already saw him last year too, I can be wrong, but if you see him, he seems to be very arrogant, and wears a fancy suit all the time, and at every photoshoot he could pass the q ( diamond pass, gold pass every one ) , to take immediately his picture. And did not bother him to push people away, to get through to be the first etc, and he really don´t have to push anyway, because if one of the Showmasters crew sees him its like oh you carry on, be the first, or whatever it takes that you don´t have to wait at all.

Edited by timlux
  • Like 1

It was incredibly busy though I expected that with the caliber of guests there, I would just like to say a massive thank you to the lady at Christopher loyds shoot on the Saturday. The staff really helped after someone stole my brothers tickets. They were able to track my order and validate me with id and my brother was allowed to have his photo shoots. Thank you so much. This has prompted me to become a crew member and I'll be crewing Sheffield now.

I met some amazing people, saw some fantastic cosplay like the alien queen at sigourney weavers shoot.

• Like 2

I did have a blast. It was a great weekend. I got everything, I wanted (12 photos and 9 autographs, including MJF and CL) by Saturday 16:15!
And why is that? Because I was prepared!

This was my very first con, so I went to the website, to this forum, to the unofficial facebook page and grabbed any information in advance. I was not surprised about queuing, about heat, about 100,000 people, about VQTs, about short meeting times. All of that was clear to me before the event even started.

So, I am sure: Everyone who moans about heat, "overcrowding" and stuff like this was not really prepared. I queued 2-3 hours before the opening times on all 3 days and got in pretty fast. First thing, I did, is run for VQTs. I got Diamond Passes for MJF and CL, because this meant guaranteed auto and photo (I don't care about the T-shirt and prints at all). So I had to get them. If you didn't, you're not guaranteed. And of course, everyone who bought them, gets priority. If you want priority as well, buy them!

I had 2 clashes, but I knew, I should tell the pit boss and they managed everything for me. No problem in the end.

So yes, I had an excellent weekend. Nothing to complain about! It was crowded and it was hot... but it was top guests and it was July! What do you expect?

Nobody touched me, but if you feel so uncomfortable, when someone actually puts his hand on your back (not your bum or your chest, you know?), you maybe should not attend a show with 100,000 visitors. It may sound a little hard, but do you call for 2 meters space around yourself when you go to a concert? Oh, you don't attend concerts? Nevermind...

So for me it's just time to say THANK YOU SHOWMASTERS! It was a great weekend. I spent 900 pounds on tickets only, but it was worth every penny!

• Like 8

Don't post often but felt I had to after the event. So doing it now after having some time to collect my thoughts and properly look back at the weekend as a whole. First time going gold with my Mum and one of my brothers. Did meet a lot of great guests - can't fault any of them at all - and enjoyed the talks we went to. Made the decision before the event not to go for any Diamond guests (this proved to be a good decision with hindsight).

Friday

1 - YALC getting 'special' treatment. They were mixed in with the Gold queue (confusing for us) then they got processed while in the queue and then let in before Gold. This was an issue all three days but it was the first thing we spotted on Friday. While I understand the Gold had to be separated (physical tickets in one door and e-tickets in another) for processing, I don't get why YALC were processed before opening.

2 - Layout. Bit confusing to begin with. Took a while to find everything. Bit cramped in places but I understand space was limited.

3 - Gold Pass room and bag pickup. Took a while to find where the room was and also that we had to go to the room to pick up our included bag & vouchers. As we were going to use some of the vouchers on Friday guests this was important to do quickly. Once we found the room, it was all okay, but in the confusion, I ended up getting separated from my Mum - who had the pass order with her as they were in her name - and it took a while to find her again. At the room, pickup was easy so that was good.

4 - Little bit of an issues with photo areas being moved and some crew not really being sure what was going on. The crew member I dealt with did know what was going on when Reeve Carney's shoot was moved but the crew member my brother spoke to in relation to RDA wasn't as well informed.

Saturday

1 - Too. Many. People. This was a serious problem. Made it almost impossible to move in the signing and photo areas without bumping into just about everyone.
Photo areas in particular were very congested.

2 - Level 3. While I did enjoy having lots of open space (and be able to feel the air conditioning), it felt very disconnected from the rest of the event, access was limited and there were no clear signs to direct people around the floor.

3 - Crew. While some were helpful and polite....so were not. As time went on, the number of people crowding in started to trigger a panic attack in my mother. While this doesn't happen very often, my brother and I knew the best way was to get her out of the building as quickly as possible. So we headed for the stairs where we came in (by photo E) to head for the Gold entrance/exit. As we got to the stairs, while happy to see they were clear going down, we were shouted at by a SM crew member that we were NOT allowed to go down the stairs at all with no reason given as to why. So we stepped away from the crowd coming through the door as we tried to figure out the best way through. As we tried to do this, the same crew member - who was still watching us - shouted at us again for "blocking the stairs". so we were then left with no alternative but to try and get our visibly distressed (and somewhat agitated) mother through the crowds across two of the busiest floors to get to an exit. This was utterly unacceptable no matter what way you look at it.

Sunday

1 - Information. It was very difficult to get some important information. When picking up a CL VQT for my friend, I was told to join a long line for the VQT only to be told at the front that he was only signing for a short period of time. Also trying to find out about Robert Englund - also for my friend - was very difficult and it was only when I went upstairs to L3 to get an Iain Glen VQT that I was able to get information about what was happening. I then had to try and get down to L1 as quickly as possible to tell my friend before his photoshoot began. Even first thing it was crowded and took a long time - though now having clearly marked stairs helped.

2 - Crowd levels. While an improvement on Saturday, it still felt very overcrowded in places. This was most apparent during the 'special' shoots (BTTF cast with props/cars, costume and make up shoots) as people were arriving to photo areas far too early and not leaving. Photo A was impassible during the afternoon. Also some shoots were 'rushed' as other guests were waiting. This happened during the first session for Harry Treadaway as Lea Thompson arrived before Harry as she was able to get through the crowds quicker. So his shoot was rushed so she wasn't kept waiting too long.

3 - Diamonds being called for non diamond guests at photoshoots. This happened more than once but it caused the most confusion at Hayley Atwell's first session. This was the only mistake they made with their information regarding this shoot but it did cause problems as there were people behind me with Diamond passes trying to get through.

Going forward, I'd suggest that SM try and stabilise things at Olympia rather than always looking to increase/expand. With that in mind, I'd like to make some slight suggestions:

1 - Have the preview afternoon by for ticket pickup and vendors only. No signing/photo ops. This would mean that people can be processed without being rushed and also gives people a chance to have a proper look around the vendors (something that I wasn't able to do this year). Also maybe have an hour set aside before doors open each day to process tickets that weren't done at the previews.

2 - Pass visibility. If this show is trying to emulate SDCC then why not have the colour coded/labelled laynard passes? These are clearly visible to everyone, can be issued prior through the post (or at my proposed altered preview). They can also be extra advertising space for a sponsor as everyone will be issued one?

3 - Clear sections. Have each type of thing all together. Say vendors on the ground floor, all photo ops on the balcony above, signing in the L1 hall etc. Having everything all sectioned off and properly organised will help so much. This year just felt a little mish mash with some cohesion in parts but not in others.

This year did have it's good moments for me but there was more bad. Not sure if we'll be making the trip again in future if this is going to be the norm. Hopefully the issues can be resolved to the benefit of the attendees and guests. Maybe once the event has stabilised in a permanent location and we're not seeing post after post of people having a lot of the same issues as us then maybe we'll reconsider our decision.

There was only one guy I already saw him last year too, I can be wrong, but if you see him, he seems to be very arrogant, and wears a fancy suit all the time, and at every photoshoot he could pass the q ( diamond pass, gold pass every one ) , to take immediately his picture. And did not bother him to push people away, to get through to be the first etc, and he really don´t have to push anyway, because if one of the Showmasters crew sees him its like oh you carry on, be the first, or whatever it takes that you don´t have to wait at all.

I noticed him to Tim Lux. I just assumed he must be associated with Showmasters in some way.

• Like 1

I said it before and I say it again. Im not happy with the photo ops here at the London Con. I went to many many conventions and usually the photos are not that close like here and I dont understand why. Someone here told me no problem just tell the photographer to take it like you want but everyone who was at the convention knows, thats not how its working. I tried but it was so busy and actually some photographers did like I said but not everyone. Im very unhappy with a few pictures. For example if you wanna get it signed afterwards or whatever, its always nicer if its not that close. I compare here now a pic from london and a pic from another convention somewhere else. Am I the only one who is not happy with that?

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1463506937301902&l=5d4b8694d6

• Like 1

The only thing I would say is that I can't get Fridays off (I'm a teacher) so I'm likely to miss out on any guests who can only make that day.

I will be attending with my sis and her boyfriend (he's a teacher so won't be able to get Friday off!) I think big guests will always do the Saturday anyway and I doubt many guests will just do Friday only. It's probably just as well I will only be attending 2 days as I don't think I have the physical stamina to cope with more than that!

If you check the date for next year's LFCC, you'll find that it's later in the month! So, hopefully, Friday will be "doable" for you after all. :D

• Like 1

I said it before and I say it again. Im not happy with the photo ops here at the London Con. I went to many many conventions and usually the photos are not that close like here and I dont understand why. Someone here told me no problem just tell the photographer to take it like you want but everyone who was at the convention knows, thats not how its working. I tried but it was so busy and actually some photographers did like I said but not everyone. Im very unhappy with a few pictures. For example if you wanna get it signed afterwards or whatever, its always nicer if its not that close. I compare here now a pic from london and a pic from another convention somewhere else. Am I the only one who is not happy with that?

To be honest, I'd rather have one like the left hand one, a bit closer so I can see faces better. Just my personal view though, and we're equally entitled to them, neither's right or wrong!

• Like 1

I did have a blast. It was a great weekend. I got everything, I wanted (12 photos and 9 autographs, including MJF and CL) by Saturday 16:15!

And why is that? Because I was prepared!

This was my very first con, so I went to the website, to this forum, to the unofficial facebook page and grabbed any information in advance. I was not surprised about queuing, about heat, about 100,000 people, about VQTs, about short meeting times. All of that was clear to me before the event even started.

So, I am sure: Everyone who moans about heat, "overcrowding" and stuff like this was not really prepared. I queued 2-3 hours before the opening times on all 3 days and got in pretty fast. First thing, I did, is run for VQTs. I got Diamond Passes for MJF and CL, because this meant guaranteed auto and photo (I don't care about the T-shirt and prints at all). So I had to get them. If you didn't, you're not guaranteed. And of course, everyone who bought them, gets priority. If you want priority as well, buy them!

I had 2 clashes, but I knew, I should tell the pit boss and they managed everything for me. No problem in the end.

So yes, I had an excellent weekend. Nothing to complain about! It was crowded and it was hot... but it was top guests and it was July! What do you expect?

Nobody touched me, but if you feel so uncomfortable, when someone actually puts his hand on your back (not your bum or your chest, you know?), you maybe should not attend a show with 100,000 visitors. It may sound a little hard, but do you call for 2 meters space around yourself when you go to a concert? Oh, you don't attend concerts? Nevermind...

So for me it's just time to say THANK YOU SHOWMASTERS! It was a great weekend. I spent 900 pounds on tickets only, but it was worth every penny!

Being prepared by reading all the info is one thing. But plenty of people here have been going for years (myself included), so don't tell people that moaning about overcrowding is due to being unprepared. I knew it would be busy, so picked the quietest of the three days, made a printed schedule, got extra fivers out, you name it. Still ended up struggling to get around the venue because of the sheer volume of people. When you book photo tickets, you don't know the timing between them - SM themselves don't know at that point either. 5 minute gap between two people in the same area? Fine. 5 minutes between two photo shoot areas you didn't know would be on different floors? Not your fault, and the sheer volume of people makes it difficult to get between them, no matter how many print outs and maps you've made.

When you're talking about hundreds of people in any ticket group, and thousands overall, you can't predict them as easily. I don't think I can remember a time in multiple events, where crew have had to say sorry, there are too many people to get through in the photo shoot, so if anyone is here Sat/Sun can we swap you to that - that's been asked in advance before a show a few times to lessen the burden on Saturday by moving folks to Friday or Sunday - but it's never been a problem on Friday with too many for a shoot, and certainly never as the actual shoot is about to start. Plenty of people got to the RDA photo shoot 2 on time, being prepared - I was one of them. But too many people had been unable to get through in shoot 1, so photo shoot 2 was hopelessly overcrowded.

As for heat - yes, people know it'll be hot in July. But look out the window today - grey and windy. Friday and Sunday were peeing it down with rain. And I remember an Entertainment and Media Show in October that was so hot people went around in t-shirts - outside.

Plenty of people have been going a lot longer than you, we know exactly how to prepare and get the most we can - there are still unknown things and crowd issues to throw a wrench in things.

Edited by Firecracker
  • Like 3

To be honest, I'd rather have one like the left hand one, a bit closer so I can see faces better. Just my personal view though, and we're equally entitled to them, neither's right or wrong!

yeah but dont forget, if you get the digital pic afterwards you can zoom in and you still got a very good quality, but if you get that pic that close you cant zoom out anymore. I just think if you wanna put your pic on the wall or on your desk it just looks better. To be honest guys at the convention asked me how they can get a pic like I did, but it was hard to ask all the time the photographer.

Seriously SM, you deleted a thread i created that had no foul or abusive language; just asking for comment and feedback regarding The Empire Strikes Back "event". Is asking for feedback or reasoning on posts and advertisements that YOU made really that worrying to you that you feel the need to delete a thread?

• Like 1

Seriously SM, you deleted a thread i created that had no foul or abusive language; just asking for comment and feedback regarding The Empire Strikes Back "event". Is asking for feedback or reasoning on posts and advertisements that YOU made really that worrying to you that you feel the need to delete a thread?

It wasn't deleted, it was merged into another thread, with an explanation, here:

http://showmastersonline.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=90042#entry1948393

• Like 1