Post event thoughts of weekend from Showmasters

We will not stop over the table photos , we like this and we try to get this to happen every time we can and push back a lot to keep this an option for you the fans.

I'm glad you said this as I really like over the table photos. I'm not cheap, I'm happy to pay for a photo shoot too. I just like to have a more casual picture at the table too.

A suggestion - I know when it's busy these photos aren't possible and a sign will be put up. It seems like this sign often isn't taken down when it gets quieter though. On Sunday afternoon a majority of the guests on level 3 seemed to have a sign up, even when they were sat there bored. If I thought I'd be allowed to get a photo as well, I would have went up and paid for an autograph.

Edited by para50
  • Like 2

• Showmasters Admin

Please please please address the issue with pit bosses physically manhandling people into photoshoots, no attendee should ever have to have someones hands placed on them unless they're doing wrong. The MJF shoot on Sunday was one of the worst I've encountered in 13 years of attending events.

Thank you

i am sorry i was there no one was manhadling anyone all they did was have there had behind you and moved it to tall you when it was your time to move forward , the shoot was a long distance from the photographer and it was hard to her the photographer say next like in other shoots , i know it might have seemed odd but it was just a way to let the person know you are good to move forward , hundreds of people went through this shoot i was there over seeing it and directing people just out from he shoot and i only saw happy people that did not feel in any way violated , i do think you are over reacting on this on one is there to upset or push or do something wrong with anyone , we just wanted it to go right for everyone and that has to included MJF who had an amassing time and loved being apart of the event even though he found it very hard work and took a lot out of him , but he would not have changed it for the world as he did really enjoy meeting so many people that had so much love and energy , and he told that to me himself.

Jason

• Like 2

I had a Diamond Pass for Christopher Lloyd and Michael Gambon. One thing I noticed which might explain the larger queues on the weekend for CL was that Friday was quite quiet and even when I went to get his autograph the lady asked where all the Diamond Passes were. This is something completely outside SM control - at least this time - maybe next time they need to assign a day to collect and autograph - but it was only ever Diamond Passes that were guaranteed a autograph.

For those saying that Diamond Passes were used for priority on other shoots - this was untrue for me - I had about ten photo shoots and the only time Diamond Passes where called first were for those that had Diamond Passes; CL, MG and MJF and it was only the former two that I got the priority.

I think the response from Jason has been really fair. The stair problem was swiftly solved by Sunday and the walls put up around Photo Area A were very handed (I'm sure Luke appreciated it). Using the trading lifts is also a good idea moving forward.

The only suggestion that I really do agree with is giving diamond pass holders an allotted slot for signings, to guarantee they get them and for non Diamond Pass holders to avoid the bedlam that was at the Christopher Lloyd signing on Sunday.

I managed to get autographs from Paxton, Weaver and Gambon with out DPs so it is definitely doable, but with Lloyd and Englund I think it was a mix of slow signing and poor queue management.

All in all though, everything ran as smooth as it could for me, I got all the autographs I wanted bar Englund & Lloyd (which of course weren't a given anyway), I got to all 18 photo shoots across the weekend and made the BTTF Cast panel. Only thing I missed was the MJF talk and the sales desk kindly refunded me with autograph vouchers.

All in all, it seems Jason and the team have taken the feedback on board and I think going forward things will be great. But yeah, an allotted signing time for DP holders would be good all round I think, if the DP holder has a photo clash with the signing time, allow them to use it any time.

The weekend did seem a little stressful at times but it worked out in the end. Thanks to SM for delivering the best line up yet.

Please please please address the issue with pit bosses physically manhandling people into photoshoots, no attendee should ever have to have someones hands placed on them unless they're doing wrong. The MJF shoot on Sunday was one of the worst I've encountered in 13 years of attending events.

Thank you

Whoa, wait, are you seriously saying a pit boss touched you without your consent, while you were doing nothing that warrants a pit boss, who is not security as far as I know, to physically intervene??

I can confirm this happened. MJF Delorean shoot late Sunday afternoon. I was batch 4. We were told to start moving as soon as the flash had gone for guest before, even if they weren't up yet. I did this but had to hesitate as the gentleman kneeling by MJF hesitated (I think he wasn't sure if his pic had been taken). In my hesitation I was pushed from behind by pit boss. Not violently but enough to make me move forwards and the hand didn't move until I'd started walking once the guy had gotten up. It was happening to others before I got there as well. Hands placed on backs and pushed forwards. It was a shocking photoshoot and was obviously vastly oversold and/or trying to get it done in a very short, tight near-impossible timescale.

I can confirm at one of my photo shoots the crew member put their hand on my back and when it was my turn pushed me forward. didnt bother me too much but if it had been someone infirm they might have fallen over

• Showmasters Admin

I found it bizarre why Bergman's thread was closed when his request and reasons are 100% reasonable. He did try and get another photo and the red crew man told him no. When good money is spent, a reasonable explanation is warranted.

Will also be interesting to find out more of an explanation of why Robert Englunds Sunday autograph appearance was cancelled last minute when the make up shoot had been discussed for months.

Bergman issue is something i will look into , and if we are in the wrong i will work that out with him , i do feel that is should be a matter of talking to us directly through email and not in a public forum , the thread was closed no deleted as i am happy for people to read it but i did make a statement at the end and it did cover all the points brought up, as to Robert he did not feel he could do autographs after his make up shoot as he will have been in make up for over 6 hours by that time , so he asked that we tell people that is would not posable to happen after the shoot , hope that helps cover your points and Bergman do please contact us thanks you.

Jason

On the Sunday, the guy running photoshoot A , had pretty much lost his voice. I was quite far back in the crowd of people , and couldn't hear him when he tried to make an announcement, and couldn't always see the whiteboard he was using.

Maybe it's time to invest in a small public address system for the crew to use , specially at the photoshoots?

• Showmasters Admin

Two things i have picked up on

I read the term "oversold" i am sorry it was not over sold as the heath and safety officers , council officers , security venue management and our own director heath and safety director signed off and agreed the numbers so it was busy it was tight at times also but it was safe and it was legal totally , big events in the US are the same lots and lots of fans taking over a big venue that all .

one other point that i would like to point out if we have all photo ops in one place 1 some of the guests will all have to travel alone way to get to them as the guests would not be in the same place as the shoots , and also what if everyone that has there autographs disideds not to leave this zone and just what till there shoot is called like a lot of you do ? , with having soots apart it means you cannot set up a base and clogs up the space and stop it from working ? i agree its good to have more of them closer and that will happen but not all together in one hall or room , we have planes already for next year and we have learnt a lot from this years event so we feel we are on top of it .

Thanks for the feed back

Jason

On the Sunday, the guy running photoshoot A , had pretty much lost his voice. I was quite far back in the crowd of people , and couldn't hear him when he tried to make an announcement, and couldn't always see the whiteboard he was using.

Maybe it's time to invest in a small public address system for the crew to use , specially at the photoshoots?

Was this for the Robert Englund photo? It was really packed in that area because everyone with a diamond pass was there. People knew it was in pass order, whether they worked it out for themselves or whether they were told. But people with higher numbered passes were still crowding round. I agree it maybe time for something like a public address system, but I think the ownership is on us con goers too. If people relaxed and didn't go to a photo shoot at the opening and went at a time more appropriate for their number pass/batch number I don't think a member of staff would have lost their voice from shouting at people to move back.

• Like 1

Two things i have picked up on

I read the term "oversold" i am sorry it was not over sold as the heath and safety officers , council officers , security venue management and our own director heath and safety director signed off and agreed the numbers so it was busy it was tight at times also but it was safe and it was legal totally , big events in the US are the same lots and lots of fans taking over a big venue that all .

one other point that i would like to point out if we have all photo ops in one place 1 some of the guests will all have to travel alone way to get to them as the guests would not be in the same place as the shoots , and also what if everyone that has there autographs disideds not to leave this zone and just what till there shoot is called like a lot of you do ? , with having soots apart it means you cannot set up a base and clogs up the space and stop it from working ? i agree its good to have more of them closer and that will happen but not all together in one hall or room , we have planes already for next year and we have learnt a lot from this years event so we feel we are on top of it .

Thanks for the feed back

Jason

I had a good time just hope you guys do this next year as well with the horror guests,loved meeting all the Nightmare on Elm Street guests,Ken kirzinger & also Neve Campbell...more horror for next year 😆....but hopefully you guys get heather Langenkamp this year#Glasgow👍

• Showmasters Admin

Funny saying the Diamond passes worked well when clearly there were people with them who missed out on Robert Englunds autograph as he wasn't signing on Sunday due to someone somewhere not allowing for how long the makeup thing would take. Surely something that should have been known and factored in waaay in advance.

Also it would have been nice if the diamond passes for Sigourneys autograph had been split between saturday and sunday like they were supposed to have been. I complained to the pit boss about this as no-one was checking the numbers on the passes as I knew it was going to limit the number of normal VTs they would get through but was told that they were just letting anyone join and didn't care about the supposed day split. Same with photo sessions, no accounting for batch 1 or 2.

This meant my friend nearly missed out on getting the autograph despite having been queuing since before 6:30 and having a decent VT number as there was little time left once all diamonds had gone through although thankfully she did get it.

Honestly, if you're going to say you have a system in place to split things over two days please stick to it. There was no reason to change anything other than they couldn't be bothered and were just letting any pass number in. That was the general gist of what I was told. Not fare on those ordinary ticket holders who had VTs. Some would have stood a much better chance if only those diamonds that were supposed to get the auto on Saturday had been allowed to do so.

This is one of the big problems I have. We're told in advance that this and that will happen but on the day it often seems to go out the window and I don't think it's fair. Sure it didn't affect me much but if only half the Diamond passes had been allowed into the autograph queue on Saturday that would be a lot more VTs that would have stood a chance.

Same with VTs. I had none of mine for other guests taken off me. Every year we're told this won't happen again but it does, even when I had the numbers checked in the queue. Maybe that's one of the reasons a lot of people missed out, people were coming away and giving the uncollected ticket to a friend so low numbers were in constant circulation.

And please, please, please have barriers or tape cordoning off photo and auto queues, I'm sick and tired of people pushing past as if it's a thoroughfare or working their way to the front just to take a photo of the guest at the table and would actually indicate where the queue is and and separate it from the people just milling around.

All basic stuff and really needed with the number of people there.

And maybe I missed it but I saw no sign of any food, drink or toilet facilities when queuing up on either Friday, Saturday or Sunday. Maybe I just missed that but there was certainly nothing obvious when walking up from the station to join the queue.

Food and drink was available in the lines just had to ask the secretary staff that was outside from 3 am and walking up and down all morning they were there to help and did help many 1000s of fans and most thought this year they did a great job.

Toilets were also available as above just ask and you would have been taken out of the line and guided to them and taken back to your line as that was all in place for everyone

As to Robert not signing that was down to him not us not knowing how long it takes to put the pack up on i am sorry we do work these things out we do not just guess but things in life change and people are human.

Jason

• Like 1

I enjoyed meeting the guests on Friday when it was quiet, and on the third floor on Saturday just waiting for Hayley attwell and the musketeers. I found on Saturday though you could not move on the first floor it was too crowded and hot, which I hated as last year. Before last year the lfacc was great and less crowded you should maybe limit tickets sold and why did the price of tickets shoot up this year?.

I have been coming to the lfacc since it started but next year I may give it a miss because of the crowding remember London is not San Diego.

It seems it's getting impossible to get autographs now, lucky I got most of mine Friday.

I find the prices charged to the autographs has got worse and not in line with other cons, when I first started coming no autograph was over £25.

I'm sorry I have been moaning at you, you have done great jobs over the years(except the last two).

Please make next year not too busy and crowded.

I found it bizarre why Bergman's thread was closed when his request and reasons are 100% reasonable. He did try and get another photo and the red crew man told him no. When good money is spent, a reasonable explanation is warranted.

Will also be interesting to find out more of an explanation of why Robert Englunds Sunday autograph appearance was cancelled last minute when the make up shoot had been discussed for months.

Bergman issue is something i will look into , and if we are in the wrong i will work that out with him , i do feel that is should be a matter of talking to us directly through email and not in a public forum , the thread was closed no deleted as i am happy for people to read it but i did make a statement at the end and it did cover all the points brought up, as to Robert he did not feel he could do autographs after his make up shoot as he will have been in make up for over 6 hours by that time , so he asked that we tell people that is would not posable to happen after the shoot , hope that helps cover your points and Bergman do please contact us thanks you.

Jason

Thank you, Jason. I will switch the discussion to a more private channel.

Thanks for the feedback Jason, it's always nice to hear it from the organiser's point of view. I think this is the first LFCC I've been to (I've been to everyone apart from the first one as didn't know about it then) that I didn't see you, I usually see you or one of your trademarks shirts! I hope you have recovered from the weekend now?

Overall I'd like to thank you for putting on an amazing con, it was crazily busy as we knew it would be and it took a while to get used to the new venue. I agree what a few others saying about putting the photo shoots all on one floor, the second level looked ideal for this as could fit a good amount of people and 5-6 photo shoot areas. Though I found the second level a nice area to escape to at times and sit on a carpeted floor which was a bit more comfortable.

This was the first ever con where I wasn't able to meet a guest, which was Sigourney Weaver, I was a standard weekend ticket, but missed out on Saturday by 17 VQ tickets, I was 147 and she got up to 130. I was a little disappointed but as a friend in Canada helped me get her autograph last year it wasn't the end of the world.

If I'm being honest I am not interested in a Diamond pass as I don't always want the full package of autograph, photo shoot, prop shoot, talk or limited edition merchandise. I much prefer getting the guest's autograph rather then getting a photo shoot with them, in fact this weekend I didn't get any photo shoots, but got over 65 autographs! What would interest me though is a Diamond autograph pass that give you 2 autographs, now if you had something like that for Weaver for around £180, I would have been straight online to purchase a ticket for it. I was wondering Jason if this was something you would consider doing as I spoke to a few people over the weekend who are in the same situation as me and would take up that option any day.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and I am already looking forward to Winter LFCC.

Best wishes,

Graham

• Like 1

Funny saying the Diamond passes worked well when clearly there were people with them who missed out on Robert Englunds autograph as he wasn't signing on Sunday due to someone somewhere not allowing for how long the makeup thing would take. Surely something that should have been known and factored in waaay in advance.

Also it would have been nice if the diamond passes for Sigourneys autograph had been split between saturday and sunday like they were supposed to have been. I complained to the pit boss about this as no-one was checking the numbers on the passes as I knew it was going to limit the number of normal VTs they would get through but was told that they were just letting anyone join and didn't care about the supposed day split. Same with photo sessions, no accounting for batch 1 or 2.

This meant my friend nearly missed out on getting the autograph despite having been queuing since before 6:30 and having a decent VT number as there was little time left once all diamonds had gone through although thankfully she did get it.

Honestly, if you're going to say you have a system in place to split things over two days please stick to it. There was no reason to change anything other than they couldn't be bothered and were just letting any pass number in. That was the general gist of what I was told. Not fare on those ordinary ticket holders who had VTs. Some would have stood a much better chance if only those diamonds that were supposed to get the auto on Saturday had been allowed to do so.

This is one of the big problems I have. We're told in advance that this and that will happen but on the day it often seems to go out the window and I don't think it's fair. Sure it didn't affect me much but if only half the Diamond passes had been allowed into the autograph queue on Saturday that would be a lot more VTs that would have stood a chance.

Same with VTs. I had none of mine for other guests taken off me. Every year we're told this won't happen again but it does, even when I had the numbers checked in the queue. Maybe that's one of the reasons a lot of people missed out, people were coming away and giving the uncollected ticket to a friend so low numbers were in constant circulation.

And please, please, please have barriers or tape cordoning off photo and auto queues, I'm sick and tired of people pushing past as if it's a thoroughfare or working their way to the front just to take a photo of the guest at the table and would actually indicate where the queue is and and separate it from the people just milling around.

And maybe I missed it but I saw no sign of any food, drink or toilet facilities when queuing up on either Friday, Saturday or Sunday. Maybe I just missed that but there was certainly nothing obvious when walking up from the station to join the queue.

Food and drink was available in the lines just had to ask the secretary staff that was outside from 3 am and walking up and down all morning they were there to help and did help many 1000s of fans and most thought this year they did a great job.

Toilets were also available as above just ask and you would have been taken out of the line and guided to them and taken back to your line as that was all in place for everyone

As to Robert not signing that was down to him not us not knowing how long it takes to put the pack up on i am sorry we do work these things out we do not just guess but things in life change and people are human.

Jason

That's nice and all but no mention was made on here as far as I'm aware, or sign posted at the event. I had zero idea food, drink and toliets were available!

Thank you

i am sorry i was there no one was manhadling anyone all they did was have there had behind you and moved it to tall you when it was your time to move forward , the shoot was a long distance from the photographer and it was hard to her the photographer say next like in other shoots , i know it might have seemed odd but it was just a way to let the person know you are good to move forward , hundreds of people went through this shoot i was there over seeing it and directing people just out from he shoot and i only saw happy people that did not feel in any way violated , i do think you are over reacting on this on one is there to upset or push or do something wrong with anyone , we just wanted it to go right for everyone and that has to included MJF who had an amassing time and loved being apart of the event even though he found it very hard work and took a lot out of him , but he would not have changed it for the world as he did really enjoy meeting so many people that had so much love and energy , and he told that to me himself.

Jason

You cannot tell people they're over-reacting about how being touched/shoved/treated by crew members, you can't dictate their experience. You've been doing this for years, as you keep saying, so you must be aware that touching people can lead to adverse problems, such as panic attacks, falling over etc. please address this problem professionally. No one questioned whether MJF was happy with the event, that's an unnecessary addition to your reply.

• Like 3

• Showmasters Admin

We are not permitted to put signage outside the venue that is down to the council, most events had pervasions for toilets and you just have to ask , last year i think there was an issue as Earls Court 1 had construction taking place inside it preventing it from being used something we did not know till on the day , but most venues have this planed out before hand you just have to ask the security teams that are outside of the venues , we are not aloud to handle this as this is outside of our remit .

Hope that is if some help

Jason

Thank you

Jason

You cannot tell people they're over-reacting about how being touched/shoved/treated by crew members, you can't dictate their experience. You've been doing this for years, as you keep saying, so you must be aware that touching people can lead to adverse problems, such as panic attacks, falling over etc. please address this problem professionally. No one questioned whether MJF was happy with the event, that's an unnecessary addition to your reply.

Nail on head. No need to comment on MJF experience as that is completely irrelevant to the post and shined away from a genuine concern from one of your customers.

• Like 1

48 miles haha Crikey! phones are amazing for logging distances, your shoes better have been bloomin comfortable!

Mind you some people were in the smallest clothing/costumes possible and still sweating, so everyone is very different. I even saw some people with massive heavy leather jackets, that blew my mind I would have litterally died haha

i myself had to get around a lot and walked over 48 miles over the 4 days but heat was not the issue for me so thinking about what you are going to wear is important unless you are in costume then its a labor of love

jason

Jason

That's nice and all but no mention was made on here as far as I'm aware, or sign posted at the event. I had zero idea food, drink and toliets were available!

I didn't see any mentions of toilets whist queuing, but then again, I kinda expect to have to wait until I get in. People were selling drinks, I think someone walked up and right round quite frequently. I also saw a food van just after the cash machine where the queue was.

What's the point of making GP get VQ tickets for DP guests when they get in earlier and will get lower VQ tickets anyway

And yes it is fair it's the reason you pay £225 (upfront) aswell I might add

They can prevent VQ's no matter how low from joining the queue if they like, and just let the DP's get their guaranteed autograph. You're not paying £225 for the right to join a DP guests queue though, as it's specified upfront you can't do this. So that argument is invalid.

no but it does mean you can join the que and be ahead of regular ticket holders for photo shoots

And apart from DP guests you can join the back of any autograph que without a VQ ticket

And please explain how they can stop you from Joining a que if your VQ number is called (apart from when the que is to long)?

And yes I still think it's fair to go before people with standard entry sorry

I know its not Showmasters fault but I hope the venue has functioning air conditioning next year! After the sweatpit of Earls Court last year I was hoping for a slightly cooler event.

Perhaps an arrangement can be made that venue staff must run a thorough check to show this is working and they present it to Showmasters leading up to the event.

the air con was working 100% all day every day the thing is in the UK the air con is not that good as there is only about two weeks a year they need it so its never that amazing , there are a lot of you at the event we were light clothing and that seems to work , i myself had to get around a lot and walked over 48 miles over the 4 days but heat was not the issue for me so thinking about what you are going to wear is important unless you are in costume then its a labor of love :-)

jason

Have to agree with you on this one. It is July so you now it will be quite hot. I attended all three days in shorts and t-shirt and had two bottles of water with me.

With the amount of people inside Olympia the air conditioning will have little effect with everyone in close proximity to one another.

• Like 1

• Showmasters Admin

Thank you

Jason

Alice i think you seem to be looking for a argument ? i am not i a, telling you the truth and thats all , for the shoots where the photographer is a long way from the person going next a tap on the shoulder or a light touch on the back is not unusual also can i point out that EVERY person will have seen this happen to the person infant of them so EVERYONE will know what to expect.

How else are we to be affective and efficient in letting you know you are ready to go, these please are noisy and if the camera is set up a bit a way the photographer cannot shout all day or make it work properly , there is a big difference between a list tap or light contact then a shove and no one shuved anyone i was there.

now lets not make this into something it was not that is a wast of everyones time , i am on here talking to you all so you get the answers you need and so you understand a little more about what and why things happened and what we plan to do in the future , we do this because we care and we care that you get what you want , constructive criticism is great intel is also great arguing and trying to make something into something is was not is not helpful or good for anyone so lets move on.

Jason

• Like 2

I would like to start by saying that by the looks of all the reports we heard about the Saturday, I am actually quite glad now we were only there on the Sunday :smile:.

We had a fantastic day and me and my husband only encountered a couple of things that really should have been planned about better which were..........

The fact that everyone who had a "normal" pass for the Back to the Future talk ended up having to go outside could have been easily for seen right from the very start! Showmasters new how many tickets had been sold and how busy it would get. It only takes a bit of forward planning to work out how to organise it best and let everyone know before the event happens.

The other thing was some of the autographs queues stopped doing the virtual queue tickets and went to open queuing. I understand this may work in principle, how ever when you have a virtual queue ticket of 87 (which I had for Bill Paxton) and you go away thinking, excellent, I'll come back later, say after lunch and I should be able to walk straight up. To come back and see a massive queue cause it had gone to open queue was very frustrating!!! Either do one or the other, otherwise you are gonna annoy people.

Now onto things that I feel may work better in the future......

Cutting the number of people down by filtering out the real fans, from the I just fancy a day out kinda people. Having weekend passes only maybe?? No single day passes? Say £80 for a whole weekend pass, with no single ticket days, maybe the people who are not "real" fans might think, nah, I'm not gonna pay that to go for all 3 days or on the flip side, won't pay it if they're only thinking of doing 1 or 2 days. Just an idea. May make more space for us dedicated folks.

Also, I do feel the diamond and gold passes need to be ltd more. I understand that people who have these should get a quicker/better service as that's what they pay for (bit like economy vs first class flying). However it does seem to have impacted on the people who have standard tickets getting into photo ops and auto's, cause there are just so many diamonds and golds to get through. Making them less would give everyone a chance.

I do also think all the photo's/auto's should be being held in the same space. That way people would know exactly where they have to go. This does not necessarily need to impact the traders either, which having the extra hall will hopefully improve next year. Perhaps Tensa barriers could be introduced, which would make queuing more organised and controlled.

These points are not designed to criticize, I only make them, as I along with everyone else would like to see Comic Con get bigger and better with more guests and other such stuff and I believe that input from the fans is a great thing as we are the ones who see most of what goes on and we are also the ones who make it what it is supposed to be..... FUN :smile::smile:

Thank you Showmasters for the post and as always we look forward to next year :dance:

3 days this time :thumbup: