Post event thoughts of weekend from Showmasters

An interesting read. It was noticeable that things were running much more smoothly on the Sunday with an appreciable sense of more space. It is incredibly encouraging (and obvious to note) to see that Showmasters are constantly striving to improve. After the weekend I felt that only 'tweaks' were needed rather than wholesale changes for the UK to suddenly have a world class, world leading event - that is incredibly exciting. There is always room for improvement, and probably there always will be, I'm not sure it will ever be possible to stage the perfect event (well at least not for everyone) but LFCC is definitely getting there. A few years at the same venue with the same space will help I'm sure though you can only plan for so much, there is always the possibility of unforeseen circumstances causing issues - such as the lift breakdowns etc. this weekend. I'm very much looking forward to seeing where things go from here

I know its not Showmasters fault but I hope the venue has functioning air conditioning next year! After the sweatpit of Earls Court last year I was hoping for a slightly cooler event.

Perhaps an arrangement can be made that venue staff must run a thorough check to show this is working and they present it to Showmasters leading up to the event.

It was working all weekend, much more noticeable than Earls Court, you could see the large banners in the main Hall downstairs moving in the 'breeze' - and it did more to keep things cool than last year, but there is a limit to what any system can cope with in a large venue (short of having your own Nuclear Reactor on hand)

• Like 1

For GOLDPASS :

I think to need VQ all the guest, so GOLDPASS can join the back of any queue.

Some of no VQ Tickets guest have a very very long line to make, even with a goldpass.

The 15min entry before the regurlar is perfect to take VQ tickets from Diamond guest.

I suggested this before the event. It was regarded by Jason as a, and I quote, "Silly idea", thus forget it, won't happen. Actually I think SM will rather focus on expanding diamond passes, making gold passes worth less and less...You're probably be looking at the beginning of the end of gold passes. Going forward it'll probably be more likely people will be buying regular entry and diamond pass(es) for guests they want to meet, instead of a gold pass and decide on the day who to meet.

• Like 2

RE: Gold pass.

How about opening a few hours early for Gold holders to get things? That way standard ticket holders can't complain heaps of Gold are in front of them. I understand not all Gold pass holders would be able to get in during those hours but it would cut the queues down a little bit surely?

• Like 4

Thanks for the comments Jason - however I think there are some other points that need to be looked at too.

I purchased a Gold Pass (3rd year running) and two Diamond passes (Robert and Sigourney). I attended all 3 days from opening to finish. I must say I think the Diamond passes worked very well they did what they were supposed to do and im sure without these I would not have managed to get everything done without them (for those specific guests).

The Gold pass left me feeling VERY let down:

1) Gold passes on Friday were not handed out in the queue like previous events, this meant there was no access to the event 5-10 minutes earlier (Allowing breathing space to get Barings) and then only 3 people in the entrance area going over tickets and handing out passes, and just before you got to them Eventbrite staff were moaning rather loudly and saying why is no one from Showmasters handing out passes in the queue....... (Surely this needs to be investigated?)

Eventually the queue started to move after 1pm and weekend tickets were being allowed in at the same time.... (Saturday and Sunday were very much better)

2) Gold Pass room - much better than previous years away from the crowd, more chairs more tables more refreshments - HOWEVER on certain talks the stage entrance was sealed off and we were told to move away- which meant the Gold Pass room was closed too - this is one of the perks for buying a Gold Pass - I understand things need to be shut up/closed off due to talks, however maybe not have a dedicated room for Golds in a talk area?

3) Gold pass usually allows you to join the back of a queue (unless Diamond so a VQT was required) on 3 occasions the gold pass had no affect, I was told to go away and come back later, came back later (45 minutes) and told to go away again (David Barclay) spoke to a Red shirt eventually and I was slotted in to the end of the queue Richard Dean Anderson - He was not a diamond guest yet Gold passes were only being allowed to go up 1 in each batch of 10-15 VQT - surely that's not the point of a Gold?

4) I think the layout most definitely needs to be revised, It was very difficult to go from Stage 2 on the 3rd floor to photo shoot D in 5 minutes....Maybe the photo shoots need to be on one floor, so there eash to locate at least you know there all in one area? Signings need to be spread across two floors and the stalls need to be on the remaining one and signing floor? I noticed that the signings for Collette Hiller, Gareth David Lloyd the queues for the signings were snaked all along the walk way and also spreading right across the walk way in a straight line blocking the area and very close to interfering with the photo shoot area (A I think).

5) The vouchers for the £10 Sigings and shoots, were a good addition (Only used one for signings) due to the fact there wernt many £10.00 guests of interest, it would be a good idea that you could use these to pay for higher valued gets and paying the difference like the photo shoots were allowed, I think this needs to be revised as it may then mean a visitor might be more interested in getting a £45.00 autograph is they have a £20.00 voucher to use (Yes there only paying £25.00 but that's £25.00 more than they would have done.

6) One gripe with the Diamond passes for Robert Englund - I don't think the blue crew knew what it entitled, we were told to join the back of the queue (from my understanding that's the right thing) however other diamonds were told to start there own queue (so there were two separate lines - diamond and diamond and VQT), other diamonds were slotted into the already long line and others moved to the front, I think all teams need better understanding of what to do (I know Diamonds are new but surley there should only be one rule not differing rules dependant on who you speak to)

I did enjoy the event and was so happy with the guests that were in attendance, I didn't think it was as packed as last summer until the incident on the 3rd floor where we were not allowed in the goods lift (Eventbrite shouting at visitors not to use and what you doing) queues for all lifts and a 30-40 minute queue for the stairs.

I would say this is mostly an improvement from last year, much more space and hope next year with the further 40% space things maybe better laid out and passes adhered to by staff (Otherwise what's the point in paying more if your treated like you haven't)

I hope the comments are justified and hopefully improvements made.

Thanks

Ritchie

• Like 1

I know its not Showmasters fault but I hope the venue has functioning air conditioning next year! After the sweatpit of Earls Court last year I was hoping for a slightly cooler event.

Perhaps an arrangement can be made that venue staff must run a thorough check to show this is working and they present it to Showmasters leading up to the event.

It was working all weekend, much more noticeable than Earls Court, you could see the large banners in the main Hall downstairs moving in the 'breeze' - and it did more to keep things cool than last year, but there is a limit to what any system can cope with in a large venue (short of having your own Nuclear Reactor on hand)

The main guest signing area on level 1 it was definitely not working and the roped off area with water dripping from the ceiling was I believe (having had some experience working in technical environments) a sign of damage to the system.

The size of the venue should have a system in place to cope with the demand, as I said I have had experience and used to work in a shopping mall and that had a consistent temperature throughout.

Level 3 it was working perfectly and this is how it should have been across all floors.

Edited by Mark - Last of the Time Lords
  • Like 1

Just a quick question, Jason...is it possible to have all the photo areas on the same floor next year? Like, a dedicated photo shoot floor? That would be a great, great help when it comes to getting to shoots quickly :smile:

Other than that (and some photo shoots starting late), I thought this show was much better organised that last year's event. I had an awesome time. Good work, team! :thumbup:

I agree with this! Also having the photo shoots on one floor would hopefully stop the clogging up of other floors with people waiting for the next shoot,

• Like 1

I had a really good time over the 3 days and i got everything that i set out to get!

I had the Diamond pass for Sigourney Weaver and it was amazing, i have been going to these events for a few years and it's the best thing that i have ever brought!!

The only issue that i had was Sigourney Weaver was sharing the same room as MJF, which is fine but you never knew who was going to be in and when. I went as i had heard that SW was signing to find that she had finished and it was MJF but there was no sign to notify me when to come back, i asked a member of the crew and they didn't know.

You advise people to plan but that can only happen when information is there to work with. However this will not stop me from buying another Diamond Pass!

I also agree with the layout and have the photo booth's on the same floor, queing right next to vendors just annoyed the vendors and the people just trying to get through. i was also another victim of getting stuck on the stairs!

i must admit that there were moments when the event went from fun to stress, this isn't something that i expect to happen at a con

A small gripe considering the size of the event and good to here that the capacity will increase next year but the volume of people will not (hopefully you stick to that)

really looking forward to seeing how you can top this years Diamond guests!!!

Good luck

Thank you for your comments; most of them make sense and I look forward at the improvements you promise for the next edition. Errors cannot be undone but can be avoided in the future. :rolleyes:

However, I wanted to point out, briefly, something that came up on the "Lack of Flexibility" thread. Since you locked the thread (preventing any possible reply to your message) I post here my reply.

In your message regarding the possibility to have a picture retaken, you state: "if there is something that stands out like blinking or looking away or fuzzy image then we will tear the photo in half and put you back in the line at the front to get a re shoot , thats our policy and its what everyone is trained to do , but it is totally down to you to check the photo your self , you HAVE to look at it and decide if you are happy with it to not , it is not down to the crew to check for you , if the image is fine but you feel you do not like it then this is down to the head of crew to look at it and it is down to them , but you may not get a re shoot "

So, I checked the picture myself and ask the man in the red shirt if my son could retake the picture but he refused (twice) stating that it was a good picture. As you can see in the picture below, my son is looking away - so your "trained" staff should have conceded a retake without even having me insisting twice. Now, I ask you if, in your opinion, my son's picture should have been retaken or not.

If you think your crew member was right, I will accept your opinion and will not ask further questions. No grudge. See you at the next convention.

If you think that my son has been denied the right possibility of a retake, I expect some form of compensation, in a form you deem appropriate.

Cheers.

mjf.jpg

• Like 8

I honestly had the best weekend ever and hardly had any problems. The first couple of hours on the Saturday was the hardest as I was trying to navigate my way around but once I had my bearings and knew where photoshoots etc were it was a lot easier. The hardest part was trying to squeeze through the crowds to get where you wanted to go. To all the people I accidentally hit with my hoverboard, I am so sorry! Having a gold and diamond passes for the guests I wanted, did make it ALOT easier and I would definitely buy again. Overall I thought the weekend was a HUGE success and I am buzzing about going again next summer! Can't wait for guest announcements!

• Like 3

I have to say I agree with a lot of what has been said already...

Photo-shoots and Autographs on one floor each would be awesome (ground floor to 3rd floor was quite a trek!)

This was my first time going Gold... ...loved it, will be going Gold again. I have read other posts of people having a moan (what else is the internet for) about Gold and Diamond. The only reason I went Gold this time was because I could see running around getting VQ's and keeping an eye on them was going to be a nightmare! The only Diamond guest I didn't get was MJF, just didn't have the money this time, managed to get the others though. I do think having the program in the bag would be more useful than the other stuff. Also, the chill out room not being available the whole weekend :(

Luckily I found the other staircase on Saturday, where people were keeping cool, so managed to move around quite easily well, until I had to get across Level 1 of course!

I really enjoyed the weekend... ...busy, hot, but I got everyone I wanted (and couple of extras!).

I'll start saving now for next year so that I can go Gold again and get any Diamond passes that I may want (quick query for any Diamond pass holders here: Were Diamond guests personalising for Diamond pass holders?).

I may also set up a stall selling those mini-hand fans!

Anyway, bring on next year :)

I found it bizarre why Bergman's thread was closed when his request and reasons are 100% reasonable. He did try and get another photo and the red crew man told him no. When good money is spent, a reasonable explanation is warranted.

Will also be interesting to find out more of an explanation of why Robert Englunds Sunday autograph appearance was cancelled last minute when the make up shoot had been discussed for months.

• Like 5

5) The vouchers for the £10 Sigings and shoots, were a good addition (Only used one for signings) due to the fact there wernt many £10.00 guests of interest, it would be a good idea that you could use these to pay for higher valued gets and paying the difference like the photo shoots were allowed, I think this needs to be revised as it may then mean a visitor might be more interested in getting a £45.00 autograph is they have a £20.00 voucher to use (Yes there only paying £25.00 but that's £25.00 more than they would have done.

^^ i did think this was the case, you could use the vouchers for more expensive guest, making the rest up in cash. sure there was a thread / discussion on this prior to the show?

anyhow this weekend for me was very tiring, pretty sweaty but overall totally amazing. Had diamond for Freddy + Sig & was extremely pleased with them (did forget to go to the Aliens talk cause of doing other things but that was my fault).

photoshoots as mentioned a few times above, in one area is the way to go.

already looking forward to next years show.

The only thing I would say is that I can't get Fridays off (I'm a teacher) so I'm likely to miss out on any guests who can only make that day.

I will be attending with my sis and her boyfriend (he's a teacher so won't be able to get Friday off!) I think big guests will always do the Saturday anyway and I doubt many guests will just do Friday only. It's probably just as well I will only be attending 2 days as I don't think I have the physical stamina to cope with more than that!

I have to say I agree with a lot of what has been said already...

Photo-shoots and Autographs on one floor each would be awesome (ground floor to 3rd floor was quite a trek!)

This was my first time going Gold... ...loved it, will be going Gold again. I have read other posts of people having a moan (what else is the internet for) about Gold and Diamond. The only reason I went Gold this time was because I could see running around getting VQ's and keeping an eye on them was going to be a nightmare! The only Diamond guest I didn't get was MJF, just didn't have the money this time, managed to get the others though. I do think having the program in the bag would be more useful than the other stuff. Also, the chill out room not being available the whole weekend :(

Luckily I found the other staircase on Saturday, where people were keeping cool, so managed to move around quite easily well, until I had to get across Level 1 of course!

I really enjoyed the weekend... ...busy, hot, but I got everyone I wanted (and couple of extras!).

I'll start saving now for next year so that I can go Gold again and get any Diamond passes that I may want (quick query for any Diamond pass holders here: Were Diamond guests personalising for Diamond pass holders?).

I may also set up a stall selling those mini-hand fans!

Anyway, bring on next year :)

only has sw diamond pass and she did not personalise mine or any of the people in front of me, but have to say a diamond pass was worth it

Thanks for the feedback Jason. I've been going to Showmasters events for several years and I know you take on board the comments made and look to make improvements wherever you can.

I was at the event on Friday and Sunday (missed the Saturday ticket by a few hours), and got everything I wanted to, subject to cancellations. Attending Friday certainly helped me get my bearings and some of the 'unique' features of Olympia. The lifts which went to Ground but only the YALC part with no access to the main hall were interesting - I found myself going back up to 1 to take the stairs down. Better signage about this would have helped.

One thing I would suggest is a couple of stewards being allocated to the ground floor, just inside the main entrance. They could answer any initial queries and try and keep those main thoroughfares clear. I can't tell you the number of times my path was blocked by people taking photos of cosplayers (they're great but please move to the side to let the rest of us pass) or frankly attendees just standing in the way. When one of my photoshoots was changed from area A to B, trying to get through was very difficult and it just adds to the stress of trying to get there before the guest leaves.

In general I thought this years event was an improvement on last years. The air con on floor 3 was wonderful and I did find space to chill out up there on Sunday between autos/photos.

Keep up the good work!

Photoshoot yes, autographs no I asked in the day too. Not a major deal breaker for me though, as I just like the chance to join the end of any queue (except Diamond)

^^ i did think this was the case, you could use the vouchers for more expensive guest, making the rest up in cash. sure there was a thread / discussion on this prior to the show?

anyhow this weekend for me was very tiring, pretty sweaty but overall totally amazing. Had diamond for Freddy + Sig & was extremely pleased with them (did forget to go to the Aliens talk cause of doing other things but that was my fault).

photoshoots as mentioned a few times above, in one area is the way to go.

already looking forward to next years show.
Edited by ritchyb1983

Thank you for your comments; most of them make sense and I look forward at the improvements you promise for the next edition. Errors cannot be undone but can be avoided in the future. :rolleyes:

However, I wanted to point out, briefly, something that came up on the "Lack of Flexibility" thread. Since you locked the thread (preventing any possible reply to your message) I post here my reply.

In your message regarding the possibility to have a picture retaken, you state: "if there is something that stands out like blinking or looking away or fuzzy image then we will tear the photo in half and put you back in the line at the front to get a re shoot , thats our policy and its what everyone is trained to do , but it is totally down to you to check the photo your self , you HAVE to look at it and decide if you are happy with it to not , it is not down to the crew to check for you , if the image is fine but you feel you do not like it then this is down to the head of crew to look at it and it is down to them , but you may not get a re shoot "

So, I checked the picture myself and ask the man in the red shirt if my son could retake the picture but he refused (twice) stating that it was a good picture. As you can see in the picture below, my son is looking away - so your "trained" staff should have conceded a retake without even having me insisting twice. Now, I ask you if, in your opinion, my son's picture should have been retaken or not.

If you think your crew member was right, I will accept your opinion and will not ask further questions. No grudge. See you at the next convention.

If you think that my son has been denied the right possibility of a retake, I expect some form of compensation, in a form you deem appropriate.

Cheers.

Although I can see your point and if it were me id want it retaken, it is a good enough reason to have it retaken and i think the crew should have allowed it, however going buy your sons facial expression and body language it appears his not to bothered by being next to MJF

One more reason for having it retaken! My son was actually super excited but he got that kind of expression as he was a bit surprised by the people "directing" him and with the lights and the rest he got lost for a moment.

The only thing I would say is that I can't get Fridays off (I'm a teacher) so I'm likely to miss out on any guests who can only make that day.

I will be attending with my sis and her boyfriend (he's a teacher so won't be able to get Friday off!) I think big guests will always do the Saturday anyway and I doubt many guests will just do Friday only. It's probably just as well I will only be attending 2 days as I don't think I have the physical stamina to cope with more than that!

If you look at the signing days there were a few this year that only did Friday

Thanks for the information Jason - Some interesting points to consider. I do think a lot of the problems this year can be sorted out next year by having seperate areas for each activity, keeping all photoshoots in one hall and autos in another... Yes travel was easier on the Sunday but having to go from C to Prop to E and back to the National is a trek in and of itself without the crowds...

I hope everyone invloved can now relax and have a few days off to themselves and that the guests enjoyed their time with us.

• Like 2