Should more guests have a Diamond Pass option?

I'm wondering if more guests should have the passes to allow for a slightly better experience. I was really excited when I found out I was going to have the chance to meet Hayley Atwell. I bought a photo session and made sure I got her autograph. So I now have a picture with her and I have her autograph, but I don't really feel like I met her as we only exchanged a few words. It's disappointing that there was nothing I could have done to enhance the experience. No extra I could have paid, turning up earlier wouldn't have made a difference. Her autograph and photo were £20 each, how about a Hayley Diamond Pass for around £60-70? Have a certain time allocated for these autographs to allow for a short chat, even 30 seconds would have been nice. Maybe allow for a table photo too, given a photo shoot has already been paid for so no revenue is going to be lost by allowing this.

Maybe a different name for the pass would be a better idea. That way the Diamond label is reserved for the bigger guests. Anyone else think this is a good idea? Would you pay more for something like this?

I think not.. because not everybody has money to pay that amount of money just to get a autograph and picture.

And I don't need a Diamond Pass for someone who can't say "thank You" - just to call Miss Atwell.

Edited by Swissangel4616
  • Like 1

If someone doesn't have the extra money, then they just don't buy the pass and stick with the regular photo shoot and autograph option...

Also my suggestion is obviously something that could apply to any any guest, Hayley was just the example I chose to use.

I think you'll will never time to chat with a "pass"

You can chat a little if the guest is nice like Rose Leslie, Lea Thompson, Claudia Wells, Colette Hiller ... (and others of course)

For very busy guests, they probably prefer signing a maximum of autograph for a large size of fans.

Edited by john.bttf
  • Like 1

I wouldn't be keen on this personally.

I wouldn't be that interested in or could afford a diamond pass, even for the guests I really look forward to seeing, and i would be disheartened to be pushed to the back of the queue so diamond pass holders could go in front

• Like 1

If you'll excuse the facetiousness - how about a "Pop round to mine for dinner and a movie" pass?

Seriously, it won't happen. I got an MJF Diamond pass and spent less than ten seconds in his company for the shoot and auto combined. I'm not complaining though, because I understand that I have what I paid for. A photo with him and an autograph.

I'd love to have thanked him for his honesty in an interview he did years ago in relation to his parkinsons, which allowed me to be able to relate to my grandfather (newly diagnosed at the time) in a much better way and gave me a much better relationship with him for the last five years of his life... But having been to quite a few of these events (and having been crew at more than I can remember), I know full well that the bigger a guest is, the less likelihood there is of being able to chat with them.

There are of course exceptions to this, but with someone who's Diamond pass only? Not much hope.

Let's get a bit of realism here people - you want an autograph, you get an autograph. You want a photo, you book a photoshoot. You want a chat, ask a question at the Q&A (which are starting to happen for all the bigger guests now - what a coincidence...)

• Like 1

I think the amount charged for Michael J. Fox would be the very limit of what I would be willing to pay for further diamond guests. They shouldn't go above the amount of diamond guests they had at this show in the future imo, unless of course they only have one opportunity to get a MASSIVE name.

• Like 3

I'm wondering if more guests should have the passes to allow for a slightly better experience. I was really excited when I found out I was going to have the chance to meet Hayley Atwell. I bought a photo session and made sure I got her autograph. So I now have a picture with her and I have her autograph, but I don't really feel like I met her as we only exchanged a few words. It's disappointing that there was nothing I could have done to enhance the experience. No extra I could have paid, turning up earlier wouldn't have made a difference. Her autograph and photo were £20 each, how about a Hayley Diamond Pass for around £60-70? Have a certain time allocated for these autographs to allow for a short chat, even 30 seconds would have been nice. Maybe allow for a table photo too, given a photo shoot has already been paid for so no revenue is going to be lost by allowing this.

Maybe a different name for the pass would be a better idea. That way the Diamond label is reserved for the bigger guests. Anyone else think this is a good idea? Would you pay more for something like this?

I think the reason diamond passes weren't created for lower priced guests is because a diamond pass would need to be a package of photo(s), talk(S) and autograph. but for the those who bought a gold entry they are suppose to get free entry to the lower priced guest talks so with a diamond pass they'd have had to pay. So to be fair to gold pass people they could only included auto and photo(s) so it really wouldn't be worth SM making diamond passes for these guests.Hope this helps.

Edited by stargate geek emily

As it was a lot of people were priced out meeting MJF and SW due to the cost as it was and quite honestly for the small time you get at a signing event its a lot to find but these have always been like this you get your auto and move on its very much a conveyer belt. If you attend a weekend convention you may be luckier if they are in the bar at night then you can have a proper chat but you cant buy xtra time with guests.

Events are no longer cheap to attend the entrance in itself has gone up 120% for those who cant arrive before 11 and I noticed one guest who's been before who's fee was more than on an earlier due to the franchise but I thought we were told would not happen with these new passes. I know its down to demand but people do not have endless money to throw around i know quite a few who feel they are being priced out already as no way could they afford hundreds to attend with gold and diamond passes and it does feel your being milked for everything. Now it seems photos at tables seem to be stopping in favour of getting you to pay for a photo shoot as well which is more cost as well. I know I shall consider if I can afford to keep going even I don't want to see anyone as just getting to London and inside is quite a lot now so I hope this does not get out of control.

Edited by buffy2k
  • Like 2

As it was a lot of people were priced out meeting MJF and SW due to the cost as it was and quite honestly for the small time you get at a signing event its a lot to find but these have always been like this you get your auto and move on its very much a conveyer belt. If you attend a weekend convention you may be luckier if they are in the bar at night then you can have a proper chat but you cant buy xtra time with guests.

Events are no longer cheap to attend the entrance in itself has gone up 120% for those who cant arrive before 11 and I noticed one guest who's been before who's fee was £10 more than on previous visits due to the franchise they belonged to which I thought we were told would not happen with these new passes. I know its down to demand but people do not have endless money to throw around i know quite a few who feel they are being priced out already as no way could they afford hundreds to attend with gold and diamond passes and it does feel your being milked for everything & now it seems photos at tables seem to be stopping in favour of getting you to pay for a photo shoot as well which is more cost as well. I know I shall consider if I can afford to keep going even I don't want to see anyone as just getting to London and inside is quite a lot now so I hope this does not get out of control.

If you're talking about Kenny, then Star Wars has nothing to do with why he cost more this year.

http://showmastersonline.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=88633&page=1

Sounds like the original poster got the experience most people get at these things. You're not there to hang out with them but at the same time, have something interesting to say/ask and you'll often get a better encounter. Doesn't mean talk for 10mins but as long as I feel I've been acknowledged and interacted with the guest I'm very happy. Sure, doesn't always happen but what the OP describes seems pretty normal, especially for the more popular guests.

Expectations too high maybe?

• Like 1

Events are no longer cheap to attend the entrance in itself has gone up 120% for those who cant arrive before 11 and I noticed one guest who's been before who's fee was more than on previous visits due to a franchise but I thought we were told would not happen with these new passes. I know its down to demand but people do not have endless money to throw around i know quite a few who feel they are being priced out already as no way could they afford hundreds to attend with gold and diamond passes.

If you're talking about Kenny, then Star Wars has nothing to do with why he cost more this year.

http://showmastersonline.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=88633&page=1

Hiya no wasn't Kenny Baker had no idea about this one, sorry.

My worry is lots of £15 guests are suddenly going to ask for more in future when they see how much top guests can charge which would price a lot out of this event which would be sad for fans who do not have huge amounts of money.

Edited by buffy2k

I think people forget this was a one off opportunity to meet legendary individuals, such as MJF and SW. Those prices are not unreasonable imo to meet those types of icons. I mean, I would pay through the roof to meet Arnold, a real hero of mine as well. However, I am equally as much of a fan of MJF and SW.

Showmasters made this possible and to be honest, due to their stature, I think people got a good deal on the diamond pass, but that's just my overall opinion. You have to take everything into account to understand that part. I feel for those who couldn't afford it, though. Also, I didn't have a diamond for SW and still met her - but I had a gold pass so that might've helped but the queue for the 2nd photo shoot on Saturday with the power loader was surprisingly not too big, so maybe I was lucky?

I think though the gold pass still serves a good purpose and the diamond pass guarantees everything you need. There weren't too many diamond guests there and with a gold pass, you'd still be able to meet a good majority of the other guests you'd want to meet - I think the gold pass has good value and I find its true - you can't do this type of event without one. I think its reasonable for what it gives to you, too.

If someone doesn't have the extra money, then they just don't buy the pass and stick with the regular photo shoot and autograph option...

Also my suggestion is obviously something that could apply to any any guest, Hayley was just the example I chose to use.

I went for regular photoshoot option and never got Christopher Lloyd's auto, no matter what time I went it was always hasn't done Diamonds yet, then move on to 1 - 50's and yes I heard he likes to spend quite a bit of time signing.

From the guests that had diamond and gold pass options, how many were sold? was it too many?

I can't remember which thread but someone had a VQ tik in the 30's for Christopher Lloyd and couldn't get an autograph because it was diamond and gold passes only.

Not everyone wants, needs or can afford those passes. There has to be enough room for regular attendees to get autographs from the bigger guests.

From the guests that had diamond and gold pass options, how many were sold? was it too many?

I can't remember which thread but someone had a VQ tik in the 30's for Christopher Lloyd and couldn't get an autograph because it was diamond and gold passes only.

Not everyone wants, needs or can afford those passes. There has to be enough room for regular attendees to get autographs from the bigger guests.

Well Cristopher was a Diamond guest so would only be Diamond passes that got ahead as gold pass holders needed to get VQ tickets just as all others for these guests. In my opinion though yeah to many was sold. I decided to get a gold pass this year for the first time and both on friday and saturday i was there 30-60 minutes Before opening and still got like 3-400 VQ ticket for Sigourney and same for Paxton. Managed to meet both on the evening of saturday and sunday not to long Before closing but i bet many didnt get the chance. Though by that time VQ tickets wherent longer followed so anyone who walked up could join the que. This years experience was not as good as prior years for me. Gold wasnt worth what it costed, sure i could see the benefits with photoshoots as i did more than i have ever than at one event(3 shoots) But it really seems lacking when it cómes to people who comes mostly for autos.

My expectations weren't too high, I knew everything was going to rushed. My only point was - it might be nice if there was a different option, even if it was limited in quantity.

If I had a once in a life time chance to meet a celebrity that I've idolized for a majority of my life, it would be nice if I had the option of purchasing something just a little bit more than standing next to them for 4 seconds for a picture and quickly saying hello and thank you while they write their name. Obviously other people don't feel the same way, but it was just a thought.

Diamond passes are alright for the big names that simply won't be able to get around to everyone due to popularity, and therefore being a way to guarantee yourself the auto/photo/talk/etc (though they really need to be limited more in numbers, 500+ is not something that can be guaranteed - some guests are slow signers). I'm not sure I ever will invest in one, though, not unless it became an absolute must-have guest for me (MJF/SW were not in this case) and the price wasn't priced unreasonably high.

Diamond passes only guarantee you the photo/auto/seat at talk, it doesn't guarantee you will get time to chat - more likely you're not because the guest will be too popular and pressed for time.

My expectations weren't too high, I knew everything was going to rushed. My only point was - it might be nice if there was a different option, even if it was limited in quantity.

If I had a once in a life time chance to meet a celebrity that I've idolized for a majority of my life, it would be nice if I had the option of purchasing something just a little bit more than standing next to them for 4 seconds for a picture and quickly saying hello and thank you while they write their name. Obviously other people don't feel the same way, but it was just a thought.

These events really aren't set up as meet and greet opportunities. Sure we'd all love a nice chat with every guest, but it'll never be a reality. You might get 2-3 minutes with some guests, but the aim is to get as many people an autograph as possible. This event showed that even with a diamond pass autographs were a struggle. To give a guarantee of an autograph and a guaranteed amount of time with a guest, SM would lose out on the average fan getting an auto. The cost of this would then need to be added to the DP cost.

• Like 1

I don't think you need a diamond pass for everyone who could be busy. The line length fluctuate so much you could just get lucky as I did with her and get a good chat, dedications on all autographs plus an over the table photo (Hayley had a line of only 3 people at this point and was more than happy to do so). My friend then met her a few hours later where he was told no autograph dedications or photos etc so for the guests you want this kind of interaction for try and prioritize them first as such luxuries start to drop as the day goes on and the demand gets bigger

AJtglCG.jpg

I had a diamond pass for Robert Englund and Chris Lloyd, I didn't get anymore time with them than anyone else. Obviously they did the talks, but no more time than anyone else at the photo or the autograph table. However, if they could offer the chance of more diamond passes with a few extras, it might lower the number of diamond passes on other guests, if only three guests have diamond passes some people might go for all, but if there are above ten it might make the diamond passes more limited due to choosing which guest to go for.