My main issue about the queue outside (not SM's fault I know)

I sadly smoke quite a lot - and I get anxiety like a bugger in queues like that. I was in the queue on Saturday morning at 7:00am, and I stood there on my own having a two-hour anxiety attack and didn't light up once. Nothing special about that, it's just consideration for others, and general common sense.

I personally don't mind people smoking next to me, but that's just me. Nobody should have to suffer being forced to inhale second hand smoke when they're in a queue, especially one as busy as that. If people want to smoke they should have left the queue and moved away. I felt bad enough for the poor sods leaving the venue onto a hot street which stunk of cigarettes and garbage.

• Like 2

I think it is incredibly rude to smoke in a queue where people are forced to stand close to each other without the possibility to move away from the smoke. I will not criticize anyone for their habits, that's your thing, but once you show no consideration for other people and blow smoke all around, I consider you very arrogant. I noticed a lot of smokers in the queue on Friday and I really did not enjoy having to breathe the smoke.

• Like 3

Please tell me I'm not the only person who was severely annoyed by the people smoking in the queue to get into the venue?

As a non-smoker, and having got up at 5 in the morning to make sure I had time to take a shower and made efforts to keep fresh throughout the day, I was a little more than miffed to have countless peoples' cigarette smoke blown back into my face while in the queue.

Since it wasn't inside the venue itself I know there's nothing SM can do, so I'm not blaming anybody in particular for allowing it. People smoke, that's whatever. But several times I literally received a facefull of somebody elses smoke, didn't matter which way I turned-- people were smoking up and down the line the whole way.

You're not the only one. I get coughing fits when people smoke around me and when you're huddled really close I find it really inconsiderate to light up in the middle of a crowd.

There were new born babies in among the crowds. I dont care who you are or if you think it is ok or your right, its wrong and its vile and so are the people doing it in crowds. If that was my baby I would have litterally knocked the fag out of some of these peoples mouths.

I was hit in the face many times on the Friday and Saturday by people's fag ash and smoke.

I have been blinded in the past in lines by idiots smoking near me, the fag ash went into my eyes and I had to throw away my contact lenses as they were damaged. Great if I had to drive later!

Blowing smoke away does little, you cannot control fag ash or smoke, even if you think you can. Most smoke is invisible remember. If people do not have the decency to act like respectfully human beings, dont hang around in lines with us who have manners.

• Like 1

Its a public street so people are entitled to smoke, if you had smoke go in your face i doubt it was done on purpose.I found peoples body odour far more offensive.

I never assumed anybody was doing it on purpose. I know it's a public area so people can smoke, my point it's fairly unpleasant in an environment like a queue where a lot of people are gathered in a lot of them probably don't want to be smelling of other peoples smoke all day.

I agree people should be respectful if smoking around people, but the trouble is if the queue is outside on outdoor public space. I had someone smoking infront of me in the queue and it is awful but unfortunately there is no law against that.

What I would like to see is an area away from the entrance for smokers so you don't have go through it on the way in and out. When I was crewing at the entrance at Play Expo last year I had a bloke having an asthma attack after walking through the smoke, fortunately he had a strong inhaler with him so didn't need treatment, but it certainly got me thinking.

There was a girl beside me whilst we were queuing to go into the BTTF talk outside on Sunday. She was on her own and wanted to smoke. She asked if I would hold her place for her whilst she went across the road to smoke, which I was happy to do. Rather that than smell of her smoke for the rest of the day.

I have no objection to people smoking - what you choose to put in your own body is your business - but smoking in an environment such as a queue where your smoke encroaches on other people and forces them to breathe in your smoke is not on. Have some consideration, move away from the queue and if you're on your own like this girl was, a simple polite request to hold their place would be gratefully received by non smokers around them.

• Like 1

Was in the Game of Thrones talk and someone used a vapour cig in front of me, and it would blow back into my face. The smell wasn't very nice that came out of it and it's annoying having stuff blowing in your face when you're trying to watch something.

• Like 1

We had the ecig debate last autumn. Totally agree they should not be used wherever real smoking is banned.

I my bit of the Saturday queue nobody smoked. But once someone did, another five or six did...antisocial, disrespectul and disgusting.

No fault of SM, but those that do it need to think twice...

I have to also agree with this one.

I'd been looking to getting some food and drink one we hit the queue only to find we were ring fenced with no food or drink until we got in! Which did have it a benefits but I had smokers in front of me and on the other side of the railing.

Each to their own but would of appreciated the smoke not being blown in my direction and with the railings had no where to the run.

Not saying they shouldn't do it but just please don't blow it my way.

I have to also agree with this one.

I'd been looking to getting some food and drink one we hit the queue only to find we were ring fenced with no food or drink until we got in! Which did have it a benefits but I had smokers in front of me and on the other side of the railing.

Each to their own but would of appreciated the smoke not being blown in my direction and with the railings had no where to the run.

Not saying they shouldn't do it but just please don't blow it my way.

People bring e-cigs into the store I work at quite often. My manager says we can't technically ask them not to since they're not real cigarettes but they smell really bad and it's really not what you want when you're trying to work. I agree that they should be banned where real cigarettes are banned.

Regarding the queues though, kudos to the smokers who actually took us non-smokers into consideration and went elsewhere to light up.

Totally agree with this. While I understand that the queue was outside, the fact that we were packed together for hours it definitely felt like a situation where some courtesy comes in to play.

I had one guy behind me smoke at least 3/4 cigarettes in the 2 hours I was queueing and he made no effort to move out of the queue or anything, I had to keep shifting to avoid smoke in my face and cigarette ash landing on all my stuff.

It was just plain rude to be honest.

Xx

People bring e-cigs into the store I work at quite often. My manager says we can't technically ask them not to since they're not real cigarettes but they smell really bad and it's really not what you want when you're trying to work. I agree that they should be banned where real cigarettes are banned.

Regarding the queues though, kudos to the smokers who actually took us non-smokers into consideration and went elsewhere to light up.

Your manager/head office (depending on corporate structure), can do whatever they like in this respect...it is their business after all

The only thing SM could do is enforce a ban inside the venue. It's their booking, so their call - but for all I know, Olympia may ban it anyway (which would trump anything else).

Outside, we are at the mercy of other people being respectful...

I stopped smoking cigarettes at Christmas and switched to ecigs which has helped me cut down and hopefully stop completely one day.

The thing I'd like to know is what where these people using in there's that would make it smell, I put a few drops of menthol in mine but friends say they can't smell anything?.

Also even back when I used to puff like a train I would never light up in a crowd that's just disrespectful to everyone around you.

But there was a lot of disrespect going on over the weekend, It seems like when you put thousands of people in a cramped space common sense and manners get left at the door

The thing I'd like to know is what where these people using in there's that would make it smell, I put a few drops of menthol in mine but friends say they can't smell anything?.

God knows what was in this one, it really did not smell good. My dad has one and his doesn't smell, so obviously I don't mind then :)

It just wasn't the time or place for this person to use theirs if I'm honest.

I'm not a smoker, but from what I saw in the window of a store close to my workplace people seem to use all kind of absurd things. They're calling them "flavoured liquids." I've seen all flavours displayed there from strawberries to oriental, whatever the latter means. Menthol at least sounds kind of logical for me.

I'm not a smoker myself and have no issue with those that choose to be. Not in the slightest in fact, as how someone chooses to live their life is no business of mine! However, if we're in a queue where we are standing almost shoulder to shoulder and almost touching either front or back, and you decide to light a cigarette and puff away, I do think it's disrespectful. This is just my opinion and I'm sure many will disagree, but if I respect your decision to smoke then why can't you respect mine to not do so, and therefor not force me to breathe in your second hand smoke and have my hair and clothes smelling of it? I'd be happy to hold someones place in the line so they could go for a cigarette just as much as if they wanted to grab a bite to eat or a coffee. As has been said already, this isn't such an issue in more open spaces, but we all saw how cramped those lines got outside the venue! I recall an Olympia crew member telling us she didn't want to see "any spaces".

• Like 2

I use an e-cig with coffee flavour liquid in it. My other half can smell it and smokes normal cigarettes, so it must smell! Personally, I treat my e-cig like normal cigs and don't use it indoors, in queues or anywhere else likely to cause offence. Will end by saying - I really didn't notice anyone smoking anything in the queues on Sunday! Was probably concentrating on getting in more than anything else! 😃😍