My main issue about the queue outside (not SM's fault I know)

Please tell me I'm not the only person who was severely annoyed by the people smoking in the queue to get into the venue?

As a non-smoker, and having got up at 5 in the morning to make sure I had time to take a shower and made efforts to keep fresh throughout the day, I was a little more than miffed to have countless peoples' cigarette smoke blown back into my face while in the queue.

Since it wasn't inside the venue itself I know there's nothing SM can do, so I'm not blaming anybody in particular for allowing it. People smoke, that's whatever. But several times I literally received a facefull of somebody elses smoke, didn't matter which way I turned-- people were smoking up and down the line the whole way.

• Like 20

I agree with you on this. People should have a lot more respect for others. The trouble is if you speak up and make a fuss often you are seen as the bad guy just for simply creating a scene.

Its an awful smell and the smoke clings to your face and clothes.

Again its common sense.

• Like 3

It was worse at the actual entrance. I know that's where most people would need to go for a cig but even when you entered Olympia you could smell it a few stalls back, and you definitely couldn't leave for some fresh air :P

Edited by MissShell
  • Like 1

Can't say I really noticed anyone smoking in the queues near me during the three days but perhaps I was lucky. There was one gentleman a few rows in front

of me using one of those awful e-cigarettes but fair play to him he blew the vapour away from people.

There is no law against people smoking in the queue as it is outside but it is good manners to ask the people around you.

Having vapour blown in your face is still annoying and they do smell. I'm all for them being banned in public places too like they do in Tube stations and platforms, trains and buses.

But that is a discussion for another day........

• Like 1

Its a public street so people are entitled to smoke, if you had smoke go in your face i doubt it was done on purpose.I found peoples body odour far more offensive.

Smoking is banned in enclosed spaces and I'd consider the queue pens where you're encouraged to be crammed together as an enclosed space. So it's not wrong to expect people to respect others by not smoking.

• Like 3

With regard to e-cigs; we still don't know the long term effects of them - yes, short term seems to be better but is it really.

I always move away from any crowd - it's my choice to smoke and so yes if there is a queue; I personally believe you should move - I wouldn't smoke at a bus stop or outside a busy building.

• Like 1

Its a public street so people are entitled to smoke, if you had smoke go in your face i doubt it was done on purpose.I found peoples body odour far more offensive.

Smoking is banned in enclosed spaces and I'd consider the queue pens where you're encouraged to be crammed together as an enclosed space. So it's not wrong to expect people to respect others by not smoking.

sorry but you made me laugh. outside a building ,standing on the pavement ,on the street, inside a metal safety barrier, with no walls, and no roof over your head and thats an enclosed space. :thumbup: Good luck enforcing that one with any 'smoking ban'

As an ex-smoker (used medication to quit). I find the smell of smoke sickening, although as I know how many people smoke in the U.K. I just deal with it unfortunately. But yes I agree about smoking in the que I'm sure people wouldn't complain about someone leaving the que temporarily to smoke just stand to the side.

Hey, if you wanna smoking, fine by me. But no need to be a lazy bum about it. Smoking is YOUR load, not mine. No need to cram it on me or anyone else. If you have a bad habbit, keep it to yourself. Leave the que and smok at the side, or don't smok. You want anyone else to force their bad habbits down your throuth?

• Like 4

sorry but you made me laugh. outside a building ,standing on the pavement ,on the street, inside a metal safety barrier, with no walls, and no roof over your head and thats an enclosed space. :thumbup: Good luck enforcing that one with any 'smoking ban'

If I'm forced to breathe in your smoke and put my health at risk, then that space IMO is enclose enough! I shouldn't have to leave the queue in order to breathe fresh air.

• Like 4

If I'm forced to breathe in your smoke and put my health at risk, then that space IMO is enclose enough! I shouldn't have to leave the queue in order to breathe fresh air.

only the law stands in judgement to be acted on and smokers were perfectly entitled to be there wether we like it or not because the queue is not an official enclosed space.personally i don't smoke and hate it but thats the way it is. Thanks again for the laugh though ;) Enclosed space :D

I had a smoker right in front of me in the queue on Sunday and got smoke blown in my face. It's not much fun queueing for two hours without having to put up with that. One time he moved to the end of the row to learn on he barrier to smoke but it still blew everywhere.

All your posts made me realise what a great cultural difference there is between the UK and Greece regarding smoking. Over here people still smoke indoors despite the supposed "ban", so I wouldn't bat an eyelid at someone smoking outdoors in a queue. In fact there was a smoker right next to me on Saturday and I hardly noticed.

While there is no law enforcement for not smoking in the queue, I think it's common decency and respect to not do so. You do not know if the people around you have asthma or other health conditions which could be triggered by smoke. We're all penned in with each other, and so can't step away if our health is being harmed by someone else who couldn't wait until they were away from the queue. I personally noticed it both Saturday and Sunday, once being covered in ashes as well as the smoke. Not exactly what you want when you're overheated, tired and wanting to look and smell your best.

• Like 2