thoughts, complaints and feelings about LFCC 2015

Re selfies at desks while I got some with guests like Tom Burke etc its not uncommon at other events for guests not to be allowed to do them. I go to a weekend con in the US for a current US show where its not uncommon for attendees to spend $1000+ on photoshoots and all those actors all have specific clauses in their contracts prohibiting them from taking selfies with fans at the events. Because why would fans pay for a photoshoot when they can have a selfie?

I personally would just rather accept that you're never going to get shots with the bigger guests than say them start introducing a £5-£10 charge for selfies for everyone

One of my biggest problems (and not just at this event) is the delay in the majority of guests getting to their signing areas. With all the complaints about people failing to get autos, surely it makes sense to have ALL guests ready to sign at 9am when the doors open.

Quite agree, i waited nearly an hour for Lea Thompson to turn up on Saturday and was very frustrating

One thing that was odd was Claudia Wells had a no posed photo sign up but she was happily posing for photos all day, so clearly the sign wasnt her idea, so who put it up and why?

Or, perhaps she was just too polite to say no to people?

I've had my fair share of table shots, but after going to many shows and even witnessing a guest trying to enforce the no pictures rule themselves (it turned into quite a nasty scene) - I'd never ask for one if there was a sign up.

One thing that was odd was Claudia Wells had a no posed photo sign up but she was happily posing for photos all day, so clearly the sign wasnt her idea, so who put it up and why?

Sometimes the guests really dont want photos. In that case its Showmasters who have to be the bad guy. Maybe she was too polite to say no when people were rude and ignored the sign.

• Like 1

Just wanted to say the Pitt Boss at the sales desk did an amazing job as far as I'm concerned! She tried to help out as many people as she could. I had to go to her a couple of times and she started recognizing me but nevertheless she kept being friendly and professional and always tried to help me out whenever I had a clash or something. I even apologized to her for the inconvenience although the clashes and time delays weren't my fault. She also changed one of my photoshoots from Sunday to Saturday as I told her I couldn't make it Sunday morning. Sadly, because of yet another delay and the photoshoot locations being too far apart from each other I missed the shoot on Saturday as well. Nevertheless the lady helped me out whenever she could and I would like to give her my thanks for that again, she too deserves some kind of SM-appreciation medal! ;p

• Like 1

I agree with much of the above. Saturday was horrible. Too busy and the queues for stairs and lifts were a serious problem. Photoshoots must be on one level so people can get from one to another more quickly. And, A was moved but the change not marked on all the floor layouts so we spent a while searching for a non-existent photo area. I'll not be coming for 2 days again because it's just not the fun it used to be. It was also a shame that the cosplay was so tucked away. This is so much part of the whole event and felt a bit sidelined. And maybe the poor crew at the photoshoots could do with megaphones!!

I TOTALY agree photo shoots all need to be on the same floor next year and from now on. I almost missed a shoot a friend of mine who was with me DID miss one of her shoots as she just couldn't get from the 1st floor to the top floor in time as the queue was sooooo long for the lifts. we went to the sales table and thankfuly managed to get a refund for my friend. But this should NOT be happening so much. if shoots were all on the same floor then if 1 was delayed you could go to the other get that shoot then go back to the origional one quickly and easily.

Just as an aside, great work over the weekend Luke. Hope you've gotten your voice back.

Cheers! Its nearly back, got the post con lurgy trying to creep in too, so battling that at the same time. I could bellow again if I needed to though :D

• Like 3

There are layout changes on the horizon for next year, I think that much I can tell without getting ahead of the official SM announcement and due to that get myself in trouble. ;) The positions of the photoshoots are being looked at and also the stairs issue is absolutely on the radar. If higher floors are used next year what goes on the upper floors will likely change.

I have passed on a summary of all comments posted so far here and in the other topics. The overselling keeps coming up. I have again been assured that the venue would even have allowed a higher number of people in, the cap was under the maximum limit. I totally understand this seems crazy to a lot of people trying to get from A to B on Saturday, but that's the pure number crunching apparently.

Oh, and one more personal comment regarding speakers... there was an announcement made through the speakers during the RDA talk on Friday. Startled everyone, including RDA. At least in the talk area you heard it - with all the noise in the general areas I am not sure if it would have been understandable.

Oh, and one more personal comment regarding speakers... there was an announcement made through the speakers during the RDA talk on Friday. Startled everyone, including RDA. At least in the talk area you heard it - with all the noise in the general areas I am not sure if it would have been understandable.

I was in the Zone 2 signing area when that happened. I was aware there was an announcement, but I couldn't understand a single word of it. Most people didn't even seem to notice that there had been one.

• Like 1

Just as an aside, great work over the weekend Luke. Hope you've gotten your voice back.

Cheers! Its nearly back, got the post con lurgy trying to creep in too, so battling that at the same time. I could bellow again if I needed to though :D

You deserved so much more than the pat on the back on Sunday, man!

I haven't even shouted during the weekend and my voice is gone, throat infected and all. It feels like I had been the person shouting at photo A all weekend ^^

I was in the Zone 2 signing area when that happened. I was aware there was an announcement, but I couldn't understand a single word of it. Most people didn't even seem to notice that there had been one.

Here is the thing, if this had been a security announcement to leave the building for some reason, NO ONE would have paid attention, I could not make out what it said. In case of an emergency this can have fatal consequences.

• Like 1

Thanks for being my eye and ear witness. :lol: It was pretty clear in the Super Stage, but I was pretty sure that's been the only place.

• Like 1

Here is the thing, if this had been a security announcement to leave the building for some reason, NO ONE would have paid attention, I could not make out what it said. In case of an emergency this can have fatal consequences.

Maybe that's a naive way of thinking, but I was thinking a large center like Olympia has an alarm system that would go off in case of an emergency. Some incredbily annoyingly loud beeping that can't possibly be overheard.

Maybe that's a naive way of thinking, but I was thinking a large center like Olympia has an alarm system that would go off in case of an emergency. Some incredbily annoyingly loud beeping that can't possibly be overheard.

Trust me on this one, there will still be people that need to be forced outside.

I am a trained Fire Marshall with my company and we usually evacuate the store within 30-45 seconds, no biggie, but we still have people that will be reluctant to go / leave no matter what.

• Like 1

Navigating was the issue for me, mostly from the sheer number of people, but, despite the plans going up in advance here, when I was in the con there seemed little relation between the floor plans I'd seen and the actual event. Most obvious was that access to the upper two levels wasn't obvious and I didn't even manage to get up there at all. I was oblivious to their existence until too late in the day and so completely missed out on the comics and book zones.

I was told afterward by those I was attending with that there were signs pointing to the upper levels, but they only mentioned Signings and nothing more. Not sure of the accuracy of that.

I know it's a limitation of the venue, but if the only access to those rooms is via the lifts, it doesn't make navigation intuitive. Neither does the photo shoots, signings, etc being scattered across various areas, rather than being collected in one zone.

I've seen it suggested elsewhere that there should be 'information points' at regular intervals, which makes sense to me. Positioned in the corners of each floor maybe? And should be manned by trained staff who are there just to answer questions about where everything is and point everyone in the right direction. But way more and clearer signage would help too.

On a personal level, as a cosplayer, I'd have liked to see a bit more space dedicated to the cosplay zone and, ideally, an area set aside which was suited to allowing shoots. Olympia is really bad for having spaces where photographers can get shots and having a 'blank canvas' area would really help with that, but I know floor space is limited.

In all honesty, I feel like most of the problems would be reduced, if not eliminated entirely, by the use of the Grand Hall in place of the mish-mash collection of smaller halls and I understand Showmasters were limited there, but I hope getting the Grand Hall will take priority in future. The Olympia simply isn't a great venue for cons this size, so whatever space is taken should be the biggest and most easily accessible.

Trust me on this one, there will still be people that need to be forced outside.

I am a trained Fire Marshall with my company and we usually evacuate the store within 30-45 seconds, no biggie, but we still have people that will be reluctant to go / leave no matter what.

Oh I realize that... part of the Sigourney crowd would probably have tied themselves to the balcony railing. ;) I was just thinking that tone would at least get some people out... a tannoy announcement would be useless for various reasons as already stated.

I've seen it suggested elsewhere that there should be 'information points' at regular intervals, which makes sense to me. Positioned in the corners of each floor maybe? And should be manned by trained staff who are there just to answer questions about where everything is and point everyone in the right direction. But way more and clearer signage would help too.

I've suggested that as this is a problem solver in a venue as widespread as this. SDCC do this as well, works sheer miracles. They had several access points, several of those designated for disabled attendees, each of them functioned as a lost and found as well.

• Like 1

Even better.

Of course, a big help would be to have maps with exits and entrances marked on them. Looking at the Olympia AND Showmasters maps of each floor, there's absolutely no indication how you're supposed to move between them, where the stairs, lifts etc are situated. That really is a necessity so people can plan their routes between areas.

To be honest, most of the complaints listed here are actually not SMs fault - If you know you are going to be busy running around, get a gold pass, makes a lot of things much easier - and yes, the VQ ticket number after 10 am are usually high, this is why your most important guest should be your first stop - for Christopher Lloyd and other Diamond pass guests it was said from the beginning that getting an autograph without the pass was a big IF.

The event was not oversold compared to last year, but it might be beneficial in the future to have entry and exit for the superstage to be on different sides, this was the major crunch point. It might also help to have the photo shoots in one separate area, with smaller areas where the different batches could accumulate ( to be out of the way), just an idea. It was quite tough to get through the crowd, but I had three parallel shoots as well, and if you talk to the crew and show them your tickets and the timetable, they let you go in with the gold guys to avoid having people getting upset. They always have done this and it was the same this year.

Indeed, there are things to be optimised, and I am sure that they will get to it. Deep breath and better organisation on both sides, how about that?

I'm on your side with the table photos issue. It annoyed me that there were so many signs up for 'no photo / no posed photos' at the tables.

This isn't Showmasters policy, this is applied by the guest and/or their agent. We don't know if this will be applied until the day, and sometimes we're asked to change it part way through the day due to pace of queue progression because the guest wants to see as many people as possible.

There are a number of guests I would love to meet and can't afford, and even as crew No Posed Photos or No Photos applies to us as well.

Sorry, but this one is out of our hands.

I know these are VERY specific examples but Carice van Houten was more than happy to take photos with people at the desk for like the first 20 mins ( lucky for me) , and then a representative from Showmasters came over to her, spoke to her agent and said she needed to stop doing that as "she is high profile enough for people to pay for her photograph" me and my friends were literally in ear shot with this . Next day this dude in front of me wanted to take a photo of Rose Leslie and she said " I'd love to, but I'm not sure I'm allowed to do that here" Please explain how that is out of Showmaster's hands? If Showmasters crew are going up to guests & their agents and telling them this then surely this is Showmasters' concern?

I personally had great experiences with everyone I met , but I totally feel for those who were buggered over purely because £££ meant more than experience.

:)

• Like 3

So the main thing I had a problem with over the weekend was diamond pass holders getting priority in ques for things that were not part of there diamond package. It was bad enough on the Chris Lloyd delorean shoot that they were given priority over gold for some reason on the Sunday, but I also experienced diamond pass holders trying and in a couple of instances succeeding in cutting ques for neve Campbell and Hayley atwell. I mentioned it to the crew member at the times and he did nothing but say they paid for it and when I tried to explain that he is confusing diamond and gold he simply told me I am wrong.

I think not having so many vendor stalls over the place many of which were selling very similar products to each other was a bit annoying as it just cut down the space and made navigating around that much harder. I will go again but I hope next time will be better organised and laid out.

Also I was dissapointed with the length of the paid talks, if I am paying like 50 pounds for a talk I don't think a 25 minute talk is good value especially when it starts late meaning it over runs and means you have to choose between watching the end of a very expensive talk or missing a photo shoot.

• Like 1

my probs were photo shoots been on different levels, stand that showed the layout of the venue should have a "you are here" on it also there should be clearer signs to areas maybe hanging from ceiling as we walked for ages to find alan harris, also traders were a hassle for us as 2 traders practally got alan harris to sign loads

It was busy. It was hot. I constantly bumped into people. I found some crew could not provide me with answers to my questions.

But I really enjoyed myself and I loved it. For me thats all part of the experience. It is such a big event to organise I can understand things not going right. It would not put me off going next year at all :)