Aliens Talk Footage

Yeah, its odd cos the studios don't have a problem with filming or uploading on Youtube when it comes to that big con in San Diego. But I guess thats OK because those panels (not 'talks') are strictly for PR purposes and showcasing forthcoming films.

I think for SM events the studios enforce the no filming rule partly to protect themselves in case the guests say something they shouldn't (eg. Lars Von Trier and his joke about Nazis at Cannes). You can also get some real nut jobs at these talks too who get weird at the guests eg. Patrick Stewart talk LFCC 2008. SM have said before there's no need to film cos they'll be bringing out a DVD but AFAIK that's never happened in the 7-10 years they've been saying that. I could be wrong though.

Perhaps the studios film it for themselves and hold onto the footage in theiir archives for future reference till they know what to do with it.

Edited by nicky

Yeah, its odd cos the studios don't have a problem with filming or uploading on Youtube when it comes to that big con in San Diego. But I guess thats OK because those panels (not 'talks') are strictly for PR purposes and showcasing forthcoming films.

I think for SM events the studios enforce the no filming rule partly to protect themselves in case the guests say something they shouldn't (eg. Lars Von Trier and his joke about Nazis). You can also get some real nut jobs at these talks too who get weird at the guests eg. Patrick Stewart talk LFCC 2008. SM have said before there's no need to film cos they'll be bringing out a DVD but AFAIK that's never happened in the 7-10 years they've been saying that. I could be wrong though.

Perhaps the studios film it for themselves and hold onto the footage in theiir archives for future reference till they know what to do with it.

What happened with Patrick Stewart in 2008???

Just some guy who kept trying to get Patrick's attention and ask him more questions out-of-turn by shouting them out at him which probbaly made things awkward for Patrick. I think the guy had some sort of mental condition IIRC.

Edited by nicky

What I can't understand is, at the Neve talk, someone was definitely recording the talk, so that video must've ended up somewhere and if people are willing to pay for the privilege of seeing the talk and there's nothing wrong with the video/talk, where's the harm? I'd love to find out who it was who filmed the talk as I wouldn't mind seeing the video from the Neve panel.

I know I keep going on about it, but it was such an important talk for me because I got to ask Neve a question and that really is a very rare opportunity.

So if anyone can help, it'd be appreciated but I don't think it is going to do much good as I don't believe the footage gets released. :no:

The harm for me is irratating people holding up bright phone screen in front of me, to the side of me, clicking away with camera held high, fools who dont turn off the flash yet still take pictures. People who cannot even turn off the irratating beep noise every shot!

That for me should stop everyone taking videos and pictures.

The worst is people who take videos and have the spotlight on their phone! Seriously!

That alone should make the talks have rules.

• Like 1

I got a six minute chunk recorded on my camera, but won't be uploading it anywhere - it was because 2 of the 3 people I was with were held up getting to the start of the talk, so I recorded it for them to see what they missed. They came in, I stopped recording. It didn't include the Carrie 'scream' or Siggy confirming that Alien 5 was 100% on... or Bill Paxton getting a bit embarassed when admitting playing with Carrie during filming down-time...

I know I keep going on about it, but it was such an important talk for me because I got to ask Neve a question and that really is a very rare opportunity.

That's the main reason why I don't like talks with interviewers asking most of the questions. Big guests with big queues at the desks mean you have little to no time to ask questions....the talks are the only real chance you get. THIS is what the talks should be for. NOT interviews.

Edited by nicky
  • Like 1

It's not so much the filming it's the fact that after Sherlocked people were selling their DVDs of the talks on ebay!! The press are allowed to film the talks and I'm sure you've seen all over the net how Siggy said she wanted Ripley killed off because she'd heard about Aliens vs Predator!

I try to tell people not to film in a jokey way first (or did I really mean it?) so that there is some realisation that we're not just being the fun police.

I got a six minute chunk recorded on my camera, but won't be uploading it anywhere - it was because 2 of the 3 people I was with were held up getting to the start of the talk, so I recorded it for them to see what they missed. They came in, I stopped recording. It didn't include the Carrie 'scream' or Siggy confirming that Alien 5 was 100% on... or Bill Paxton getting a bit embarassed when admitting playing with Carrie during filming down-time...

Sorry but that's no excuse and you still shouldn't have done it. If you feel you can break the rules, why should anyone else follow them? That's how it starts.

• Like 1

That's the main reason why I don't like talks with interviewers asking most of the questions. Big guests with big queues at the desks mean you have little to no time to ask questions....the talks are the only real chance you get. THIS is what the talks should be for. NOT interviews.

I actually like the guided nature of those with a moderator/interviewer, whatever you want to call it. Tend to be more interesting and stops a lot of the stupid questions that some people like to ask such as "what's your favourite cheese" which seemed to be popular a while back. With limited time I want to hear the person talk about their career and projects. Just my opinion.

I actually like the guided nature of those with a moderator/interviewer, whatever you want to call it. Tend to be more interesting and stops a lot of the stupid questions that some people like to ask such as "what's your favourite cheese" which seemed to be popular a while back. With limited time I want to hear the person talk about their career and projects. Just my opinion.

I think it is good that the talks are guided, however I think there should be a better split between the presenter and the audience so that it doesn't feel like a generic interview you could catch on TV or info that could be gleaned from watching the extras section of a DVD. More time should have been given for audience questions, and this I think would make for a more interesting talk, a greater range of potential topics, and more happy memories for fans fortunate enough to get to ask a question.

I think it is good that the talks are guided, however I think there should be a better split between the presenter and the audience so that it doesn't feel like a generic interview you could catch on TV or info that could be gleaned from watching the extras section of a DVD. More time should have been given for audience questions, and this I think would make for a more interesting talk, a greater range of potential topics, and more happy memories for fans fortunate enough to get to ask a question.

I also like the guided talks really cause most of the times the host has prepared some good questions while many of the questions the audience asks are those you've heard 100 times before. How was it working with X?, What is the favorite movie you've been in?, Can you please say "..."?, What other role would you have liked to play?, ... Some people should really try to be more creative if they're having the opportunity to actually ask a question, but that's just my opinion ofcourse.

Yeah I think there should be someone to ask some questions to get the ball rolling but not all the way through. I think you'll always get stupid questions that waste time but maybe you could get a moderator to rule them out at the start: "Try to make your questions intelligent please!"

I remember the stupidest question at an Alien talk I heard was, "Would you dress as the Alien for Halloween?" Yaphet Kotto's just looked blank and said "No." Then there's things like the favourite cheese, what superpower would you want, who would win in a fight between X and Y, what colour lightsaber would you have etc. They might be fun, but the talks are primarily supposed to be informative. If you want a fun talk go see stand-up comedy.

Whenever I plan on going to a talk or meeting a guest at their desk I'm always thinking of questions to ask beforehand. I thought that was a natural thing for everyone to do? When you decide you want to meet say Sigourney Weaver didnt you think to yourself, "Oh wow, what will I say to her? (apart from hello)."

I didnt go to the Aliens talk but if I did I'd have asked:

1) Sigourney was Oscar nommed for Aliens. How did her career change after that in terms of offers and did she get offered more action roles? Also what did she think of Linda Hamilton in T2?

2) Was Paxton ever a part of True Lies 2 and will it ever happen? If not are there plans to work with Cameron again?

3) At what point did they realise Aliens was gonna be massive as a whole phenonemon (not just film) with toys, comics, games, etc decades later?

4) What are some of the most memorable fan reactions they've ever had?

I went to one talk and it was blatantly filmed by a guy laying on the floor with his photo camera, right in front of SM crew...nothing was done about it. Filming might not be allowed, but it is done and nothing is done against it.

One of the things I regret is not being able to buy the talk footage from Neve Campbell or otherwise - I mean, if there's no harm in anything she said, which is what film companies would be clamping down on, what's the harm? As I say, that footage must've ended up somewhere.

Its not a major thing, but I still would have liked to have seen it.... :)

I went to one talk and it was blatantly filmed by a guy laying on the floor with his photo camera, right in front of SM crew...nothing was done about it. Filming might not be allowed, but it is done and nothing is done against it.

At some talks you were allowed to take video(i went to RDA, Neve, Hayley, GoT and Penny Dreadful). Sometimes you were allowed to take pictures, but not video.

I remember that in one talk there were some dude sitting on floor with his camera and there was microphone also on floor that were connected to that camera.

I took some photos when it was allowed, but not my thing becouse if i take photos i cant contentrate to talk. I rather watch and listen someone like Hayley Atwell than take photos and miss everything. Google is full of photos, but you cant get that talk experience from google etc.

Perhaps a blanket ban of pointing a camera/phone at the stage is the way ahead.

Allow photos for the 1st few minutes as guests enter, wave and meet the audience but after that if your seen pointing your device at the guests you'll be spoken whether you were taking a photo or filming.

"Only way to be sure".

• Like 1

At some talks you were allowed to take video(i went to RDA, Neve, Hayley, GoT and Penny Dreadful). Sometimes you were allowed to take pictures, but not video.

I remember that in one talk there were some dude sitting on floor with his camera and there was microphone also on floor that were connected to that camera.

I took some photos when it was allowed, but not my thing becouse if i take photos i cant contentrate to talk. I rather watch and listen someone like Hayley Atwell than take photos and miss everything. Google is full of photos, but you cant get that talk experience from google etc.

Videoing is not allowed at the talks. If you saw a fan doing it they were breaking the rules and were simply not caught for one reason or the other.