Lack of 10x8 photos/ Quality of 10x8 photos!

David Bradley had no Doctor Who photos when we tried to get him around 2/3pm. Michael Gambon only had one three shot when we tried later in the afternoon. No solo shots. We queued about an hour and a half for David only to get to the front and find there were only around 2 or 3 photos of anything left in total. I was told by a SM lady, who was very nice, that I could go to the front of the queue if I came back later and more photos had been printed. I went back a little while later but no more came. I had to do other things and the situation with getting up to that level again easily meant I couldn't try again. Very disappointing that not enough photos were printed. Come on SM, you should know how popular Doctor Who is by now and not be surprised that guests like David would be popular for that. I'd understand if it was late afternoon, but for this to happen so early in the day is poor.

I know trying to get high quality photos from old films and TV shows can be difficult, but some of the quality of the photos were blurry or out of focus. Roy Scammell, for example, did not have one decent alien photo for me to get signed. When you're spending all that money on an autograph you want it on a nice photo, right? Also can it be that difficult to find a full body portrait shot of R2-D2 from SW? I don't want one of him with other characters or half of his body! It's very frustrating!

Showmasters do a pretty good job, but you really are better providing your own if you have a specific picture in mind.

There's no guarantee they've been able to secure the image use etc.

• Like 1

John Ratzenberger didn't have any pictures from Cheers..

There were two or three when I met him on Friday

I went on Sunday and they had none! They had 3 Star Wars pictures and he wan't even in that for long (I know Star Wars is popular but 3 pictures and no pictures from Cheers??)

Edited by 1Forrest1

I had similar experience and learnt that if there is a particular show or photo you have in mind then it's worth getting your print - it's had to predict what people want or how many people want a particular print. They could go really quickly in the morning and then print out more just to find out that a different print was wanted in the afternoon.

They are not mind readers - they can't predict how it's going to be - and so far with one exception I've been happy with either the prints available or my own prints I've bought with me. (William Sadler being the exception - I thought he would have at least one photo from his Roswell days).

That's just it, given the popularity of Doctor Who I thought David Bradley and Michael Gambon would have at least one solo shot. It's not like I was expecting Showmasters to provide an obscure image from an obscure film or programme. And sorry, they are not mind readers, but they have been doing this long enough and to run out of all photos of David Bradley (except for three - and it's not three types but three in total) by mid afternoon is very poor judgement.

That's just it, given the popularity of Doctor Who I thought David Bradley and Michael Gambon would have at least one solo shot. It's not like I was expecting Showmasters to provide an obscure image from an obscure film or programme. And sorry, they are not mind readers, but they have been doing this long enough and to run out of all photos of David Bradley (except for three - and it's not three types but three in total) by mid afternoon is very poor judgement.

They had solo shots, they just ran out. Michael had even several when I saw him around noon.

Considering how many people on here posted about Michael's autograph price (and the fact he was open queue when I met him) I admit I am kind of surprised to hear they all ran out. Getting extra prints done unfortunately does take some time.

• Like 1

To be honest, at my first LFCC, I just used the 8x10's from the tables, but now I take my own items. That way I have the exact thing I want to get signed, it's usually a book, poster or blu-ray sleeve or even action figure. They're more difficult to carry around all day/weekend, but that way you're not disappointed.

• Like 1

I always provide my own item for signing. Google the actor and the show and download the high resolution image. Upload them to photo printing company and have it printed at whatever size you want (8*10, A3 poster). Snapfish offers 8*10 prints for £1.99. Cheaper than the dealers.

Some photos are hard to source from the internet, but on ebay you can find sellers selling lobby cards of press photos.

• Like 1

I have to agree that the quality of many photos was pretty bad, really limits the choice for a couple of the guests.

On the other hand I want to thank Showmasters for having a Capote photo for Clifton Collins Jr, he's absolutely brilliant in that movie!

After getting the very last Alien 3 picture off the table when I went to see Ralph Brown a couple years back, I don't take the chance anymore and always bring my own. Usually, even if the same image is on the table my prints are usually of better quality anyway.

That said, I think generally speaking the quality of Showmasters photos is for the most part very good, and I don't think some people realise just how hard it is to find hi-res images for 8x10 pictures from some films shows. Older shows can be very tricky, but speaking of Alien 3, that particular film is a nightmare for high quality cast shots - they are simply not out there!

I had a look at the photos on Roy Scammel's table before he got there on Sunday and thought they looked of ok quality. And I AM fussy with this sort of thing. Maybe I didn't scrutinise them enough?

Image quality aside I do think a little common sense could be used by the organisers when arranging quantities of certain photos. To not have lots of Cheers photos for Ratzenberger seems daft (not everyone wants a Star Wars bit-parter). When I went to get Bill Paxton's auto on Saturday at about 5, I saw that on Gambon's table they had completely run out of Harry Potter shots and I did wonder at what time the last one was taken. There should have been more because no doubt that is what most attendees will have wanted. Fortunately the dealer opposite had a few Gambon's for any one in desperate need.

When I was in an auto queue this weekend (I forget who for) the person in front of me was speaking to a friend and said that even if they get their own item signed they will always take a table photo anyway because that is "part of what they are paying for". I don't know if Showmasters see it the same way, or see the photos as more 'complimentary'?

I used to do the same as this attendee above but I don't anymore after I realised that if everyone did that, LOTS of fans would be devastated they may not be able to have a guest on a picture featuring a cherished role. It's a bit selfish.

As already posted a couple of posts above, John Ratzenberger did have Cheers photos, but apparently ran out at some point Saturday.

The general rule of thumb is indeed that you can still take a photo even if you have your own item. At prior events I had seen it happening that crew eventually started asking people not to do it if the stacks got too low. I don't know what happened at this show as I wasn't working in the signing area, sorry.

The simply solution is to bring your own photos/items to have signed. I know that adds to the price of collecting (paying for a print, p&p, etc...) but this way you know you have a quality print of the image you want & you don't have to worry about stock levels. SM events are unique in giving free photos when you buy an autograph, a lot of other events don't have prints or charge you for poor quality prints.

who's responsible for the pics? does the show provide them or does the star/agent? if so, who decides on the mix? some people like Bill Paxton have such a massive range of roles that there's no way you could provide a stack of pics for each. as w/ others, i get my own art/DVDs/books signed etc because certain films mean more to me and generally they're not the most popular and won't have a good photo on the table (eg, Chris Lloyd - i got my DVD of "Things To Do in Denver When You're Dead" signed, there were no available table pics for that film).

I know this doesn't help with the ones that run out but if you want an auto on an 8x10 and you know you aren't going straight into the queue ask the crew if you can have a look at the pictures available. They are usually very accommodating and happy for you to do this and if you don't like what they have you have time to look at the dealers stalls for others.