LFCC 2015 - SOME HONEST FEEDBACK

6) Since this is the modern age, and the only real information being given out was by fans and visitors on the forums, having a phone battery die on you is a literal nightmare, especially since my photo ticket was on there, i had 3% left and just barely got into my Sherilyn one before it died. having a recharge area may not be the worst idea in the world? other cons and festivals have them, so maybe worth looking into for next year?

I second that suggestion. My battery also died early (soon after lunchtime) during both days. If I had not printed my tickets I would have been lost. Even better than a mere recharge area would be a big recreation and recharge area. ;)

• Like 1

For me, the main issues were with the diamond pass. The prop photos included were scheduled at the same times as other things included with the diamond pass on the Saturday and Sunday, so I didn't couldn't get one of them. Everything included in the pass should be scheduled at separate times so you can get everything easily.

My Return to the Future was not the size I ordered and I was offered a Freddie Kruger one instead. This shouldn't have happened when I'd provided my size and I now have an XL which I can't use.

Diamond pass holders should have a separate photo shoot to the people with just photo tickets. Ask for diamonds at 1pm for example and standard photos at 2pm so people can carry on with their day without waiting around for diamond pass holders to be done.

The photo shoots being so early is a major issue. We had Bill Paxton at 9:30 on the Sunday and we made it by the skin of our teeth as we were still queueing to get in at 9:30, incredibly stressful. I read other comments about people missing photo shoots completely because they couldn't get in on time and were still queing. I don't think any photo shoots should be scheduled before 1 hour after the show starts to ensure no one misses out if they are still trying to get in. So if the opening is 9am, the first photo shoot is 10am etc

Edited by beclm2

The photo shoots being so early is a major issue. We had Bill Paxton at 9:30 on the Sunday and we made it by the skin of our teeth as we were still queueing to get in at 9:30, incredibly stressful. I read other comments about people missing photo shoots completely because they couldn't get in on time and were still queing. I don't think any photo shoots should be scheduled before 1 hour after the show starts to ensure no one misses out if they are still trying to get in. So if the opening is 9am, the first photo shoot is 10am etc

Most of the photoshoots that started early were split shoots so anyone who missed the first one could go to the other one later in the day. Bill definitely had a second shoot later.

For me, the main issues were with the diamond pass. The prop photos included were scheduled at the same times as other things included with the diamond pass on the Saturday and Sunday, so I didn't couldn't get one of them. Everything included in the pass should be scheduled at separate times so you can get everything easily.

My Return to the Future was not the size I ordered and I was offered a Freddie Kruger one instead. This shouldn't have happened when I'd provided my size and I now have an XL which I can't use.

Diamond pass holders should have a separate photo shoot to the people with just photo tickets. Ask for diamonds at 1pm for example and standard photos at 2pm so people can carry on with their day without waiting around for diamond pass holders to be done.

I mentioned about separate queues in another thread. Simple rope barriers to separate diamond, gold, batches etc. Also some form of organised queueing rather than a massive swarm. Photo shoot A for MJF on Sunday was just a big mass of people. I couldn't hear the poor guy at the front, see the board he was holding up (I had to rely on a kind gentleman standing next to me), or even see where the entrance was for the photo shoot due to the massive crowd. When I went to Neve Campbells photo shoot there was a large crowd and I was told it wasn't a queue but just a holding area. That's fine, but when you are at the back of that you have absolutely no idea what number is being called etc...

Most of the photoshoots that started early were split shoots so anyone who missed the first one could go to the other one later in the day. Bill definitely had a second shoot later.

Thanks I hope that's the way forwards...split shoots early so people can go to the later one

and another thing! make sure if you say tickets are not transferable tighten up the policing of it, there were plenty of people on here and on FB/eBay offering tickets. I got threatened by someone when mentioned I'd reported them :(

• Like 1

I like Olympia as a venue, especially if all the halls are used - having separate floors and halls means that the talks don't get drowned out by all the other noise.

The main problem with the venue was access between the floors, as not enough stairwells and lifts were open. If this were addressed, and PROPERLY SIGNPOSTED, a lot of the upset and frustrations of the day would have been avoided.

while we're talking feedback, this comes in the form of a question - why was the Bill Paxton talk so dark? i can appreciate a guest not wanting a spotlight in his face, but it was hard getting a decent photo (i try not to use the flash much, in consideration of the guest). this is just me being curious as it had the vibe of someone forgetting to put the lights on.

I put everything in another thread, but a further problem I had was that I left the back to the future talk at 15:55 to get to Neve Campbells photoshoot at 16:10. Got there at 16:05 to find they were already on batch 3! What the hell was going on there? If the talk ran late we would have likely missed completely...makes me incredibly nervous about booking talks and photoshoots in the future. If I book these I expect to get the item I paid for or a refund....

Neve was a split shoot, the other tickets had gone through in session 1.

Thanks for clearing this up . But what does happen if a talk runs over and you miss a photoshoot? Just quite nervous after some bad experiences yesterday (some good ones too)

Go to the photoshoot area immediately, let the pit boss know. Sometimes they can get a guest back. If not they will advise you what to do.

and thats not true. Im sorry but I missed my photo shot with frances lee mccain because a clash, she was taking pictures for about 5 minutes but she left after 3 minutes because she was already finished. It was something 2pm I guess and I arrived from my other photo shoot exactly at 2.04pm and the woman in red (the boss for that booth I guess?) said she left like 5 seconds ago. I said I cant come tomorrow and if she could call her back because she is probably very close and she said no we dont do that, never. I said but I was reading on the homepage something about that and she said no Im a liar, she really said that. She said they are not allowed to do that and now you tell us again about that. Im still pissed because I ask for a refund and they said no. I was about to get pics with all the BTTF cast members and because of that Im really really sad. I cant see to spend money again for this convention.

I mentioned about separate queues in another thread. Simple rope barriers to separate diamond, gold, batches etc. Also some form of organised queueing rather than a massive swarm. Photo shoot A for MJF on Sunday was just a big mass of people. I couldn't hear the poor guy at the front, see the board he was holding up (I had to rely on a kind gentleman standing next to me), or even see where the entrance was for the photo shoot due to the massive crowd. When I went to Neve Campbells photo shoot there was a large crowd and I was told it wasn't a queue but just a holding area. That's fine, but when you are at the back of that you have absolutely no idea what number is being called etc...

Actually I think it wasnt just a mess, it was dangerous. MJF and Weaver photo shoot was crazy and dangerous. Everytime after the guy called the next batch people were running and pushing. Really bad pushing by the way. Im very surprised nothing bad happened. Luckily for SM.

The solution could be, like at conventions in the US, the big stars in seperate rooms. Like the signing with MFJ. There would be enough space for batch 1 and 2 inside the room. there should be the photo shoot. for example at a convention in the US (I dont say a name because they gonna delete that post again...) it was a room for a photo shoot and with chairs. Batch one got inside and took a seat. That happened before the star arrived in the booth. And than it went row by row and there was enough space for 15 rows with 10 chairs, thats 150 people. and when the second last row was standing up to get the pic, they let batch 2 in. So there was nothing crazy about that outiside of the room, and inside it was quiet and everyone could take a seat. And I didnt seat for 8 hours in london.

I put everything in another thread, but a further problem I had was that I left the back to the future talk at 15:55 to get to Neve Campbells photoshoot at 16:10. Got there at 16:05 to find they were already on batch 3! What the hell was going on there? If the talk ran late we would have likely missed completely...makes me incredibly nervous about booking talks and photoshoots in the future. If I book these I expect to get the item I paid for or a refund....

Thanks for clearing this up . But what does happen if a talk runs over and you miss a photoshoot? Just quite nervous after some bad experiences yesterday (some good ones too)

Go to the photoshoot area immediately, let the pit boss know. Sometimes they can get a guest back. If not they will advise you what to do.

and thats not true. Im sorry but I missed my photo shot with frances lee mccain because a clash, she was taking pictures for about 5 minutes but she left after 3 minutes because she was already finished. It was something 2pm I guess and I arrived from my other photo shoot exactly at 2.04pm and the woman in red (the boss for that booth I guess?) said she left like 5 seconds ago. I said I cant come tomorrow and if she could call her back because she is probably very close and she said no we dont do that, never. I said but I was reading on the homepage something about that and she said no Im a liar, she really said that. She said they are not allowed to do that and now you tell us again about that. Im still pissed because I ask for a refund and they said no. I was about to get pics with all the BTTF cast members and because of that Im really really sad. I cant see to spend money again for this convention.

Note that I said "sometimes may." I don't know about the exact circumstances that day and why it wasn't possible that day. It has happened before, but the busier the shows are the unlikely is that it is possible.

Note that I said "sometimes may." I don't know about the exact circumstances that day and why it wasn't possible that day. It has happened before, but the busier the shows are the unlikely is that it is possible.

We don't do pick ups at all any more - this has been the case for about a year now, so it is essential that people get to their scheduled shoot on time or a later shoot if one is available.

We don't do pick ups at all any more - this has been the case for about a year now, so it is essential that people get to their scheduled shoot on time or a later shoot if one is available.

Thank you. As you can tell from the mods post that info never actually made it through to us.

• Like 1

Thank you. As you can tell from the mods post that info never actually made it through to us.

No worries.

Im always wondering, people who are answering the all the questions here, are they from SM or just people who wanna answer questions and say something? because some answers in the last weeks are just wrong here. I would like to know who is really in charge. because if nobody of SM reads that questions, than it doesnt make sense to post anything.

Im always wondering, people who are answering the all the questions here, are they from SM or just people who wanna answer questions and say something? because some answers in the last weeks are just wrong here. I would like to know who is really in charge. because if nobody of SM reads that questions, than it doesnt make sense to post anything.

You have moderators who represent SM such as Queen_Sindel and StuartG2198, and other comments coming from those who have attended SM events for many years, many since the beginning. Also, Crew members and Jason of SM posts on and reads the forum.

Edited by minchb

I totally agree this weekend was a shambles as far as showmasters are concerned. And I've yet to see any type of coment or apology from them. Very poor

Brace yourself for the we are getting bigger and moving forward speech without a hint of a sorry for the massive f### up this weekend

My thoughts are never again, I'll stick with flying to Vegas and San Diego where events are ORGANISED and I have never seen and an angry attenedee or being snapped at by a rude Staff member, like I was this weekend.

Overal experience of this event was amazing because of the line up this year.

A few pointer which would help the overall LFCC experience would be the following:

#Separate the photoshoots and autograph booths on two separate floors. It would make things a lot easier.

#ALL guests should have a powerful fan, not a tiny one invade the AC stops working.

#Bold clear signs to photoshoot areas, guests boost which high enough to see from afar.

#staff member constantly update the ticket orders for photoshoots/autographs on a boards. These should be high enough for everyone to hear.

#all photo shoot area should have a voice blaster fro communicate with large stampede of crowds. There's no point shouting!

#updated maps stating where you are on that map EVERYWHERE

# Clarify what Gold passes and diamon passes includes. Maybe have these printed off everywhere too?

# Goodie bags for gold pass holders should also be stated on the SM website where you can pick these up from?

I'm sure there are more but these at what I can think of so far

You have moderators who represent SM such as Queen_Sindel and StuartG2198, and other comments coming from those who have attended SM events for many years, many since the beginning. Also, Crew members and Jason of SM posts on and reads the forum.

Thanks minchb. Yes, that is the case. If the mods don't know the answer one of us will get confirmation from SM. We have other users trying to help as best as they can.

If a mod sees a wrong answer we will try to correct it, but with the post frequency before the show and the amount of repeat questions it is very possible that something slipped through. What was wrong was mostly the "what do you think?" type unless I really missed more than I thought. I fully own up for giving a wrong estimate for "how are my chances to see Sigourney Weaver?" for example.

• Like 1

The only real complaint I had about the weekend was that the stalls were too close to the entrance and the cash point which caused SUCH a bottle neck trying to get in :( That triggered a whole lot of panic and anxiety but other than that, I didn't find I problems with anything. Any time I had to ask a crew member anything, I either got an answer straight away or they checked with someone and I had an answer moments later.

Most of the photoshoots that started easrly were split shoots so anyone who missed the first one could go to the other one later in the day. Bill definitely had a second shoot later.

Yeah and the 2 photoshoots is a great idea but the 2nd Bill photoshoot was during MJF talk, so it was either 9.30 or not at all! I found it so stressful I was nearly freaking out before I had even got in the venue. I am immensely greatful to the staff that helped me with this and my lovely friends. It would have been a devastating start to the day to have missed this and I was really delighted every one helped sorting this out for me, thanks all :)

we can honestly say that all of the people we know stay for the duration of the day; whether they are cosplayers or just hanging around for events to happen. We don't know anyone who actually leaves after having been at the venue for 2 hours because it's too expensive a trip for most of them to just spend 2-4 hours there and leave. If they pay to soak up the con experience, they want to take all of it in, not just the morning.

I do. there simply isn't enough for me to make it worth me stay an entire day, the only time i do that is if i'm waiting. I was in and out of Glasgow (after a 150 mile drive) in about an hour, which includes queueing time to meet Lance Henriksen; that's all i went for and a quick look around the stalls convinced me i didn't want to spend any more money there. this LFCC, i left halfway through Sat to take in a museum and came back to see if my Bill VQ number had been reached, Fri and sun, i just did a couple of slow laps and left. i don't collect comics any more (have all the ones i wanted from the stuff i collect) and i find once i go around the stalls on Fri, nowt's different on Sat or Sun, so aside from killing time or making sure i've missed nothing, i see little point in staying full days. this is amplified by sweltering conditions.

so, i got everything i could afford done, had to be smart / early with alot of things but managed it, but my thoughts on things that should be reviewed -

Comic zone -

after speaking to some of the artists on sunday about what they thought of the weekend, alot said friday / saturday were quiet as people either couldnt get up to them, or didnt know they were there.

Queueing to get in -

So a couple of things with this, -

Sunday, ok so you moved into the hall but there was no organsiation in the hall, just hundreds of people in a very wide area pushing to get down the line rather then single/double lines, and then get bottle necked into the small door way. - next year perhaps have barriers / check points set up half way down the queue so wrist bands / checking off can be done before the doors open to make entry faster.

Photoshoot areas -

The crew on the photoshoot areas did do a great job from what i saw, and helped me out alot, so well done too them. With that being said, the location of E next to the stair well was poorly chosen as it didnt help with the blocking of the stair case, and the other shoot areas near dealer tables caused blockages down the walk way (not due to crowds waiting , but that was a small factor) but from people who stood to look at stalls.

Silent Auction -

So i bidded on a couple of items towards the end of saturday and was told by a blue shirt that it was about to end, so i waited to collect and pay for my items, then to find some guy starting a live auction - doesnt this go against the whole point of a silent auction?

Program -

I bought it last year for 5 pound, for the raffle, which didnt run smooth in its exactuion, so i skipped this year, but i think considering the ticket price it should be included rather then the extra 5 pound charge.

Lack of updates / Slow info -

So i had a photoshoot for Kelly Hu on sunday, and when i arrived for her shoot at around 12 i got told by the blue shirt that she had to cancel sunday, and this was the first mention of it - nothing on twitter / fb / forum (forum post going up around 1.20 i think). After the event i saw people online say on saturday she knew this would be the case and htey managed to get stuff done then, so surely if it was known it was going to happen a forum post could have been done saturday so people wouldnt miss her

Jonathan Pryce -

I bought a photoshoot with him, which i had to skip his auto due to budget limitation. I did pass the Game of thrones guests several times on the day, and i felt bad for him as (he was a friendly guy, as i did say hello to him) as he seemed super quiet all sunday, never saw more then a queue of 3/4 with him, less after 2pm, comapared to Rose and Gemma, who have both been before so arent exactly a rare signer like him. I feel this is due to his cost being 45 - 10 pound more then Peter Dinklage. I appricate that prices are baised on what it takes to get them to the show, but he did look bored so i hope him being quiet and next to a person with a line of 25+ doesnt put him off in the future.

The Sci-fi 360 camera area thing (forgots name)

Bad postion, needed to be else where maybe 2nd floor near gaming, but it didnt help with blocking the hall being the cafe - then that

Some of Positives that i want to have a special mention -

David Bedwell - got some good pictures on twitter and his coverage of the event was good

Crew lady "Sara" next to Carrie Henn - very helpful and friendly

The gaming zone - was amazing and the guys on it very professional

All the guests, everyone i met were a delight and gave me a good talk and fan experience.

Edited by shawlax