Sticking up for Showmasters. (mostly)...

1.Showmasters do listen. I've been coming to their shows for 12 years now & they do read the feedback. Some may remember the 'good ol days' of photoshoots going off to get developed! The 1-way stair solution being an overnight idea this time.

2. Unorganised people. I heard people swear at staff (volunteers) as they'd missed their photoshoot. The schedule has been online for a few days with maps & were also displayed in the halls. Take a pic of one on your phone or camera. Just an idea... Plus if you clash, speak up & they will help.

3. I didn't get all I wanted but you have to prioritise & be realistic. Someone cancelling through work or illness is not the organiser's fault & in my experience they try to get them back.

4. Robert Englund Diamond pass: THAT photoshoot, say no more!

5. Due to the amount of people I'd like to meet it is a stressful (& hot) experience. However when I look back at who I have met over the years (Fisher, Nimoy, Tyson, Weaver...) it's worth it! I'd rather have a chance of meeting someone than none at all.

6. However, Robert Englund NOT signing on Sunday was a massive oversight. Thankfully I met him on Saturday (as I was considering leaving my glove for Sunday as I needed it for the shoot).

• Like 3

I agree with you on point 2! We had quite a bit to pack into the day but we were hyper organised, had print outs of all the maps and schedules with us, had backpacks full of plenty of food and water and had thoroughly planned our day before arrival. Everything went according to plan for us!

• Like 2

I agree with point two also. Planning is key, to get the best from these shows you really need to do your home work on layouts and schedules. I have no complaints. Anything that went wrong was soon corrected. Overall I had an amazing time.

• Like 3

I took screen prints on my phone of the levels so I could see where the photo shoots area were. It was so helpful to me and it meant I could find things on my own.

I also did a post-it note before getting to the show with the two photo times for each guest and the photo area they were in.

I treat a show like this the same way I would going on holiday somewhere - prepare and note down everything.

It was hot and full of people, but I have been caught up in mosh pits at gigs so I was prepared! haha

• Like 1

As someone posted, I planned my photoshoots with all the info required (time, level, zone) and managed everything.

I also want to say thanks to a SM crew that saw me at the end of the day and asked me if I managed to get everything.

It was my first Convention,came all the way from Spain and definitely coming back next year!!! :)

Gold pass a must.

Point 2 is spot on.

I have never seen so many unorganised people at LFCC. I found that a lot of people were at a photo shoot area but they did not know who was there or what time their photo shoot was for. We got asked a number of times about where photo shoot areas were.

I did try to help by posting a PDF version of the floor plan and schedules on here and on Twitter and Facebook.

It did seem that there was a large amount of people that were just in there wondering around. I know this is totally a guess but I just got the feeling that there were a lot of people wondering around without doing much.

Edited by Pod0509
  • Like 2

Me and a friend managed four shoots testerday, all at the the same time and on three different floors. 2nd floors to top floor to ground floor. Yes we were nearly dead at the end but we got them. Was very unlucky for such a ting to happen but we did it. I planned it and said we have do this, then this and then those. If you try, you can do!

spot on, some people just seem a bit clueless...

someone even asked on the forum is batches 3-6 come after 1 & 2.... they were asking how to count????

I was there Friday and Saturday and all I missed out on was an auto from Weaver but I knew that may happen as only Diamond Passes were assured of that.

There was a few things that I could suggest that may help future events but like you say, anything that needed improving in the past was improved upon for the future, I trust SM would know that too

• Like 1

Your point 2 is fair enough IF people were not organised. However there were plenty of organised people stuck outside waiting to get in while their photoshoots were taking place. I arrived prior to 9.00 and did not get in until after Hayley Atwells photoshoot was finished. Way too slow getting people inside.

• Like 1

2. Unorganised people. I heard people swear at staff (volunteers) as they'd missed their photoshoot. The schedule has been online for a few days with maps & were also displayed in the halls. Take a pic of one on your phone or camera. Just an idea... Plus if you clash, speak up & they will help.

Thank-you for raising this point. I cannot stress how important planning is.

I had a gentleman approach me Saturday, he had over 20 photoshoot tickets for Saturday and Sunday all printed out. He did not look at the forum schedule for an idea of where and what time shoots were.

I spent almost 5 minutes finding out all the areas, times and explaining where each area was for the saturday shoots.

He then wanted me to do the same for Sunday which I then had to decline because I had two other people waiting to ask me a question. I instead directed him to the schedules and floor plans on the walls and advised he check these on Sunday morning or check the forum.

He wasn't happy with this answer and was quite rude to me but I stood my ground. Some people may read this and think 'oh you should of helped him' but all that infomation was readily available and it was imortant to deal with queries that were affecting people that day to ensure everyone was taken care of.

He wasn't asking for help, he was asking me to do his planning for him and I think some people need to help us help them by doing some of the work themselves.

It is very difficult to spend time making sure the event is running smoothly by checking queues are flowing, exits/entrances are clear, the guest are where they need to be, that guests pens are replaced if needs be, that things are running on time ect when questions that could be answered by looking at the large print outs are being asked to crew.

It is a joint effort and planning can go along way to help things.

• Like 4

I completely agree with point 2 as well. I had planned out my day like a military operation! Schedules, maps and checklists poking out of every pocket. Happy to say I managed 4 photo shoots, 1 talk and 12 autographs on the Saturday which was everything I had gone for :smile: the only thing I couldn't squeeze in was merchandise but I prefer quieter cons for that kind of thing anyway!

I've posted my complaints/observations on another thread, so to balance them up is only fair; this event was amazingly good for me, as i've been dying to meet Bill Paxton for about 30 years. I also got to meet Chris Lloyd, another 3-decader, and the dreamy Jodi Lyn. Organising this has been a tremendous effort and my honest thanks and appreciation go out to SM. yes, there are several points i feel strongly about but that doesn't affect my gratitude for getting to meet some of the people i did.

Even though I do also plan my day, how many of the people agreeing with point 2 can honestly say they did this from the very first time they visited an event like this? I think it's something you learn by experience and you can't expect everyone to have that experience. Remember also that a lot (probably the majority) of attendees don't regularly visit this forum, so they don't know about the issues and problems beforehand.

Even though I do also plan my day, how many of the people agreeing with point 2 can honestly say they did this from the very first time they visited an event like this? I think it's something you learn by experience and you can't expect everyone to have that experience. Remember also that a lot (probably the majority) of attendees don't regularly visit this forum, so they don't know about the issues and problems beforehand.

You make two good points but let me answer with a question. Have you ever gone on holiday to somewhere you have never been to before, turn up at the airport & expect to have every little detail arranged for you? I certainly wouldn't. I'd research the beep beep out of it to make sure I know what to expect. In fact a lot of the fun for me comes from the planning (I'm a little weird like that).
  • Like 4

I don't completely agree with point 2. Obviously planning is key to every con you go, that I totally agree on. But on the other hand planning should also be a main focus of the organizers which in my opinion was not always the case. If photoshoot locations are 3 floors apart you're asking for trouble. For example when someone had a photoshoot on ground floor followed by one on third floor it was pretty much impossible to be on time for the second shoot, even with careful planning. This happened to me a couple of times and even when I told a crew member there was a clash they didn't always help me but just asked me to wait a couple of more minutes. I missed Kenny Baker's shoot because it took me more then 30 minutes to get from floor 3 to ground floor! I'm a young guy who can move fairly quick through crowded places if I have to but that just couldn't be done faster. Such things could be solved by having all photoshoots on the same floor or provide more efficient ways to travel from one floor to another.

So yeah, planning is important but it has to go both ways.

• Like 1

You make two good points but let me answer with a question. Have you ever gone on holiday to somewhere you have never been to before, turn up at the airport & expect to have every little detail arranged for you? I certainly wouldn't. I'd research the beep beep out of it to make sure I know what to expect. In fact a lot of the fun for me comes from the planning (I'm a little weird like that).

I don't know what you mean by every little detail, but I work for a tour operator selling holidays to Turkey and basically yeah, most details are covered. From getting people from the airport, to their hotels, to checking in at the hotels. Hotels are All Inclusive, so that kinda sorts most things. In fact people get very upset if things aren't sorted.

I think most people on this forum will agree with you about the preparation, as being on this forum actually means you're interested about preparation.

BUT not everyone visits this forum and I can see how when you've never been to an event like this, you might expect things to be different. If I buy a ticket to see a movie and in the theatre ask as random employee where to go, they will have the answer or know who does. As experienced con-goers we know that things are more complicated, but this understanding comes from experience. The first time I went to a con I certainly didn't know how things worked and I also hadn't planned everything in detail beforehand, because I didn't know of the problems that would come up.

Some very good points made there. I always have loads of print outs with me when I go to cons, such ass photoshoot times and areas where they are, talk times if I have any. Also a list of who I want to see so I don't miss anyone. I go round them all and pick up VQ tickets if I need too. I never expect to see anyone though and I think that's why some people moan because they blame SM for missing out.

I went there with the 3 main guests for me being Sigourney Weaver, Michael Gambon and Neve Campbell. When I got tickets for Sigourney and Michael I knew was in for a long wait. I was there until closing on Sat and Sun. I managed to meet all then people I'd planne to aside from John Ratzenberger, but that was dues to spending more on other things than I planned too. I got into see Sigourney at about 17.55 on the Sunday night. You see people complaining they didn't meet who they wanted and then read that they had to go at 2pm or something. I think these days, you need to be able to see these out until the end of the day. Most of the time you will then get to see who you want to.

Thank-you for raising this point. I cannot stress how important planning is.

I had a gentleman approach me Saturday, he had over 20 photoshoot tickets for Saturday and Sunday all printed out. He did not look at the forum schedule for an idea of where and what time shoots were.

I spent almost 5 minutes finding out all the areas, times and explaining where each area was for the saturday shoots.

He then wanted me to do the same for Sunday which I then had to decline because I had two other people waiting to ask me a question. I instead directed him to the schedules and floor plans on the walls and advised he check these on Sunday morning or check the forum.

He wasn't happy with this answer and was quite rude to me but I stood my ground. Some people may read this and think 'oh you should of helped him' but all that infomation was readily available and it was imortant to deal with queries that were affecting people that day to ensure everyone was taken care of.

He wasn't asking for help, he was asking me to do his planning for him and I think some people need to help us help them by doing some of the work themselves.

It is very difficult to spend time making sure the event is running smoothly by checking queues are flowing, exits/entrances are clear, the guest are where they need to be, that guests pens are replaced if needs be, that things are running on time ect when questions that could be answered by looking at the large print outs are being asked to crew.

It is a joint effort and planning can go along way to help things.

You're a brave soul!

No, but seriously, I am glad I am hearing a red-shirt say this although not surprised. SO many times over the weekend I saw crewmembers being asked by attendees, as you have said perfectly: to plan their weekend for them.

I needed a Paxton reshoot on Saturday morining and was told only a Pit Boss could ok that. I was directed to a very helpful lady on Area B, who's name I don't know but have seen her at several events, but could not get a word in edge ways because this woman would not shut up or help herself, she just kept asking the pit boss to plan her entire Saturday to the point that the photoshoot was ending and I went to a blue shirt, said "look I've been told to ask a red shirt about a reshoot but can't get a word in", they then shouted her at the top of their voice and she broke away immediately and authorised it. The shoot was now done but Bill stayed behind for me and another guy. Very good of him.

I went to the pit boss who had helped me out to thank her (as I REALLY appreciated a re-do on a bad photo) but after waiting 5 minutes and other people again constantly asking her to plan their day, I had to walk away.

So after reading what you wrote, no, I do not think you should have helped him plan his entire Sunday. You were more than gracious enough to plan his Saturday, and gave him a clear demonstration of what he should have done himself. Sometimes the absolute best way to help people is to enable them to help themselves, which you did. And did very well I would add. Him being rude to you after the fact only means it was worth declining because we clealy didn't appreciate what you had just done to help him. You are not his PA!

Don't get me wrong, I'd looked at the forum, I'd checked the schedules, I'd made print outs and put info in my phone, and I still needed to ask the odd question of crew, like where particular shoots were because the maps were not the best, and some shoots got moved. But that is all it should be for, or when clashes arise etc.

Edited by Dent_1
  • Like 1

I think most people on this forum will agree with you about the preparation, as being on this forum actually means you're interested about preparation.

BUT not everyone visits this forum and I can see how when you've never been to an event like this, you might expect things to be different. If I buy a ticket to see a movie and in the theatre ask as random employee where to go, they will have the answer or know who does. As experienced con-goers we know that things are more complicated, but this understanding comes from experience. The first time I went to a con I certainly didn't know how things worked and I also hadn't planned everything in detail beforehand, because I didn't know of the problems that would come up.

Don't think the comparison between LFCC and the cinema really works. When you go the cinema you buy one ticket to do one thing at one time in a purpose built building with full time employees. LFCC had multiple attractions a various times in a large multipurpose venue with a fantastic group of volunteers who do an amazing job but are only volunteers and can't possibly have information on every aspect of the show.

I also get not nearly everyone one will use the forum but that comes back to preparation. At the top of the event home page it gives a link to the forum. If you click on any of the announced guests it gives links to the forum. If you click on the FAQ page there's a link to the...wait for it...forum.

Again maybe it's just me but if I'm doing an activity or an event I do my research and plan what I am going to do using every resource I can find.

Don't think the comparison between LFCC and the cinema really works. When you go the cinema you buy one ticket to do one thing at one time in a purpose built building with full time employees. LFCC had multiple attractions a various times in a large multipurpose venue with a fantastic group of volunteers who do an amazing job but are only volunteers and can't possibly have information on every aspect of the show.

My point isn't really that Showmasters could run that efficiently, but that people generally are accustomed to that kind of service. If I book an airline ticket online, I get detailed information in my mailbox about exactly what I'm supposed to do, where to go etc. Showmasters seems to be firmly stuck in the 20th century. I mean, it wasn't even possible to properly add the service costs in the online ticketing system.

At the event there is no single central place where information about missing guests, photoshoot batches, etc. is given. Autograph guests were spread out over three areas, so you constantly have to move between those places to check what VQ numbers they're on, which guests are actually signing and which are on a lunch break. I know this is how it works, but I do appreciate that many people don't, because it's not just a step back from the service we're accustomed to in other circumstances, it's literally throwing us back into a past century.

So what I mean to say is I don't expect that Showmasters can offer that kind of service, as they have shown over the years that they can't. But to judge people for not coming prepared isn't exactly fair, as an inexperienced con-goer wouldn't expect this kind of chaos.

As for the volunteers. I appreciate that they volunteer their time and I'm not blaming a single one of them. But the simple fact is that if I ask a volunteer where the guest is they are sitting with, and they don't have an answer, at that moment that person is totally useless. It's great that SM are recruiting ever more volunteers for these events, but if they can't answer the questions asked, what good are they? And this is down to the organisation, not the volunteers.

robertderidder I think we'll have to agree to disagree before we both go far off topic. Yes I agree that as a new con goer some people would have no idea what to expect. But with that in mind it's total unthinkable to me that a new con goer wouldn't have researched what to expect. I know we're going around in circles here so I'll leave it...until next time ;)