So I don't look disabled

As the show attracts a lot of attendees with disabilities wouldn't it be an idea to have a room on each level where these attendees can have a rest and get away from all the hustle and bustle? A room where water is provided. Maybe somewhere near a fire escape so those who suffer from anxiety or panic attacks can get quick access to fresh air? I understand this would need extra planning and consideration but I think it would benefit many. It would give those who need it quick access to a rest break, somewhere to go to get away from the crowds if they feel in pain or stressed and they could then return to their next activity hopefully feeling refreshed and more confident. It would minimise people feeling fatigued or frustrated. I did not feel that event was overcrowded or in any way uncomfortable but vulnerable people are likely to feel this way in crowds. I do not have any disabilities myself but part of my job is helping families with autistic and ADHD children cope with being in crowds and I have in the past been a carer to a wheelchair bound relative. At an event so busy other attendees are not always going to be as sympathetic or be as attentive to this as they would normally be in less hectic situations because many are focused on achieving their perfect day as for lots of people this is the climax of months of con planning. Allocated areas, more gangway space and easy access lifts away from busy photo or signing areas would benefit many.

• Like 7

As the show attracts a lot of attendees with disabilities wouldn't it be an idea to have a room on each level where these attendees can have a rest and get away from all the hustle and bustle? A room where water is provided. Maybe somewhere near a fire escape so those who suffer from anxiety or panic attacks can get quick access to fresh air? I understand this would need extra planning and consideration but I think it would benefit many. It would give those who need it quick access to a rest break, somewhere to go to get away from the crowds if they feel in pain or stressed and they could then return to their next activity hopefully feeling refreshed and more confident. It would minimise people feeling fatigued or frustrated. I did not feel that event was overcrowded or in any way uncomfortable but vulnerable people are likely to feel this way in crowds. I do not have any disabilities myself but part of my job is helping families with autistic and ADHD children cope with being in crowds and I have in the past been a carer to a wheelchair bound relative. At an event so busy other attendees are not always going to be as sympathetic or be as attentive to this as they would normally be in less hectic situations because many are focused on achieving their perfect day as for lots of people this is the climax of months of con planning. Allocated areas, more gangway space and easy access lifts away from busy photo or signing areas would benefit many.

This would be a good thing if SM could get it to work but it could push up the price of tickets, people could take advantage of it and those without visible dissabilities could get turned away. so this would take a lot of planning to work out if it was viable. what would be better to start off it to keep the num of tickets sold this year but add the extra halls. plus completely re plan the layout so things are places a lot better e.g. all photo shoots on 1 floor and all autographs on another floor. these things would solve many problems.

• Like 1

I was waiting get to write something although I'm sure I will be shot but ill say it in the nicest possible way.

Some, not all by the way, disabled people are rude as fu@k. I'm sorry if you are disabled or what ever but using your wheelchair as a battering ram is bang out of order. Using itt to move people out of the way or using it to get in front of everyone. You have no right and we all struggled to get around with the amount of people. Or the least you can do is say sorry which not one person which not one person I came across did. Same with pram actually, and on that note as well there were some kids looking like they'd been left in the car for half an hour. Nearly naked kids because it was too hot for them. How about next time you leave th at home. No place for babies and toddlers.

I get this. To be honest though, please correct me if I'm just being plain ignorant, I never quite understood why people in a wheelchair should get priority. I understand people on crutches or a person like the OP who can't stand on their feet for a long time, but I just don't see how a person in a wheelchair is any different from the abled people as they aren't exactly in pain or have a certain endurance limitation (so to speak). If I'm wrong, please correct me! I don't know any person with such a disability, so I'm just guessing on what seems logical to me.

My mother was in a wheelchair and I often found it wasn't a case of needing priority but needing somewhere safe and 'out of the way' to wait, especially for photo shoots as I was surprised how much space the chair took up in a queue and quite a few times people wouldn't notice she was there and she almost ended up with a few people sitting on her lap or bashing her in the head etc as they just stepped backwards and things like that.

Edited by MHop78
  • Like 1

I was waiting get to write something although I'm sure I will be shot but ill say it in the nicest possible way.

Some, not all by the way, disabled people are rude as fu@k. I'm sorry if you are disabled or what ever but using your wheelchair as a battering ram is bang out of order. Using itt to move people out of the way or using it to get in front of everyone. You have no right and we all struggled to get around with the amount of people. Or the least you can do is say sorry which not one person which not one person I came across did. Same with pram actually, and on that note as well there were some kids looking like they'd been left in the car for half an hour. Nearly naked kids because it was too hot for them. How about next time you leave th at home. No place for babies and toddlers.

I get this. To be honest though, please correct me if I'm just being plain ignorant, I never quite understood why people in a wheelchair should get priority. I understand people on crutches or a person like the OP who can't stand on their feet for a long time, but I just don't see how a person in a wheelchair is any different from the abled people as they aren't exactly in pain or have a certain endurance limitation (so to speak). If I'm wrong, please correct me! I don't know any person with such a disability, so I'm just guessing on what seems logical to me.

Some people in wheel chairs ARE in pain. someone i knew at college had a back problem. she was in a wheel chair and in constant pain. The main reason those in wheel chairs get priority to go through first is because showmaster don't want to cause accidents int eh queue. it is not easy for a wheel chair to be going up and down through a queue weaving through people. It would cause injuries and slow everyone down even more. They (SM) just want to get the disabled over and done with to make it that bit quicker and safer for everyone else. I mean who would like to be weaving up and down crowded queues that are only taped out on the floor so you probably cant even see them in a chair? people think ow they are in a chair they can just sit there and they are fine. but its not quite like that. people get rammed into enough accidentally when going through the traders isles, it just wouldn't be possible in tight spaces queuing for photographs or autographs.Also there are those that can walk a few steps to get out of their chair to take a photo and then get back in.But they cant walk more than a meter or two. My mum couldn't walk much after the car accident. I hope this helps people understand who people who are disabled get more priority in queues.

• Like 2

Just wondering I've got epilepsy and was wondering with my type of disability can I get a slip or is it for people who suffer from worse things hope that doesn't sound bad

I have epilepsy and i couldn't get any passes/slips. but you don't usually need them. as long as you can stand in a queue you don't need anything really.

Just wondering I've got epilepsy and was wondering with my type of disability can I get a slip or is it for people who suffer from worse things hope that doesn't sound bad

I have epilepsy and i couldn't get any passes/slips. but you don't usually need them. as long as you can stand in a queue you don't need anything really.
I no did the heat affect u at all it did to me on Sat was so hot lol

I was just wondering why didn't they have some staff members stop people using the lifts who didn't need them I didn't use them once as I thought its more important for people with a disability who find it hard going up and down stairs to use them and would be more of an idea to make the other people use the stairs as I saw a man with cruches finding it hard going down the stairs where it was so busy and also on Sunday at the Christopher loydd signing the showmasters crew member don't know he's name was absolutely brilliant with the disabled people making sure they were OK and keeping there space so the lady who had abit of a panic attack was OK so he should get applauded he was excellent

I no did the heat affect u at all it did to me on Sat was so hot lol

thankfully heat didnt set off anything for me. But there were 1 or 2 times when i got overly stressed. but nothing showmaster could have done in those situations realy other than being more organised with queues.

Edited by stargate geek emily

I was just wondering why didn't they have some staff members stop people using the lifts who didn't need them I didn't use them once as I thought its more important for people with a disability who find it hard going up and down stairs to use them and would be more of an idea to make the other people use the stairs as I saw a man with cruches finding it hard going down the stairs where it was so busy and also on Sunday at the Christopher loydd signing the showmasters crew member don't know he's name was absolutely brilliant with the disabled people making sure they were OK and keeping there space so the lady who had abit of a panic attack was OK so he should get applauded he was excellent

i dont think they could, because it goes back to the "you dont know who is disabled by looking at them" and people would get offended if they were told they couldnt use them as they were not disabled.

My wife isnt disabled but she struggles to walk up flights of stairs so tends to use lifts where she can.

Isnt just disabled people that need lifts!

i dont think they could, because it goes back to the "you dont know who is disabled by looking at them" and people would get offended if they were told they couldnt use them as they were not disabled.

My wife isnt disabled but she struggles to walk up flights of stairs so tends to use lifts where she can.

I agree you cant stop people as not everyone looks disabled. Also to got to the top floor the lifts were the ONLY way to get to the top floor.

I agree you cant stop people as not everyone looks disabled. Also to got to the top floor the lifts were the ONLY way to get to the top floor.
there was another way I found was if u went to the autographs where rda were the stairs on the left corner went up there too

I was just wondering why didn't they have some staff members stop people using the lifts who didn't need them

They were encouraging people to use the lifts to take the pressure off the stair queues.
my bad never new that the lifts were so busy too

I can relate to OP. My girlfriend has M.E. and dyspraxia. She looks fine, but she's in constant pain all the time. She told me she wouldn't bother with a badge, because she knows the looks and muttering she would get. Which, by the way to one post here, doesn't get her "s**t for free". She had to pay her entry and for her autograph, just like everyone else. I think if people stopped reading the gutter press, and actually listened to people with disabilities, of all kinds, they'd see they're not living like kings at the expense of the tax payer. They just need some help and some damn compassion.

• Like 2