Share those surreal moments you just couldn't make up

I'd already made a post about this on one of the facebook groups, but what the heck, I'll list them all here too! (Deep Breath!):-

6) Seeing Bill Paxton kiss Catherine Tate on the lips as he generally tried cheering her up from something bad that had happened to her in the photoshoot she'd just come from..(Saw a little bit of that too)

what was the bad thing with Caatherine Tate Photoshoot?

was just going to ask this too.

In the first photoshoot I was one of the very few batch two folk let in before the session ended. As I was going in through the little corridor bit, there was this guy surrounded by showmasters/security staff. He was REALLY agitated, and was loudly exclaiming.."I just want to find out from her what it was I supposedly did!"

The staff answered this saying something like "Look there's been a complaint. So that's not going to happen.."

I didn't see what it was he said or did, but I do know at this point people were being really rushed through, as there was a kid in front of me who tried to say something to Catherine and was very quicky ushered away. And even looking at my photo it seems like she's really straining to smile at the moment it was taken.

Then just a little later I was down getting an autograph from Bill Paxton, and he seemed like he was really going out of his way to cheer her up, and I did notice that in the time it took for me to go from his signing table next to her, to going back through Catherine's queue the sign above her had changed from no posed photos to having a 'post it' placed over the posed part so that it just said 'no photos' altogether. It was also around this time that I saw a crewmember giving the 'finger across neck' hand gesture to stop/cut off the queue. So I don't know if she needed a few minutes to compose herself or something, but she did seem shaken up.

I have learned since then that folks are saying that in her second photoshoot there was an instruction to people to not put their arm around her or touch her at all. It might just be a coincidence, as I've heard people say that she does get anxious meeting strangers/large crowds and all, but the little snippet of what I witnessed with the guy getting spoken to has me fearing that something unpleasant did happen that morning towards the end of the first photoshoot.. :(

I hope not, and that I'm just reading too much into things, but I suppose you never can tell. As I guess some folks have different definitions of boundaries and what's appropriate in these situations..

News to me- I was in her second shoot (batch 3- here's to having no initiative when it comes to buying tickets) and wasn't told anything about a no touching policy. I put my arm around her in the photo and she managed a half-smile.

Curious to know what went down in the morning shoot that prompted such a revulsive reaction from her though.

Good. That's a relief. Obviously I wasn't at the second photoshoot but it did bother me that some folks were saying that they were being asked not to do such things. As it's always better to have some contact and avoid that 'photoshopped in' look that you get when you're just standing next to someone! Would've felt bad for everybody if that had then turned into the hard and fast rule for the shoots..

I mostly went to LFCC for other guests but I couldn't turn down the opportunity to meet Darren Shan again (he's arguably the man who got me into reading when I was a teenager so I kinda feel like I owe him something). I queued for about an hour to meet him, then chatted for a few minutes about various things; his latest work, driving (he passed his driving test about a week after I passed mine!) and Game of Thrones. So I asked if he actually gets the chance to have a look around the convention while he's there and soak up the atmosphere a bit. I told him Hodor (Kristian Nairn, we just called him Hodor) was downstairs and he wanted to meet him.

Anyway, half an hour later, I was downstairs browsing when I saw Darren wandering around looking pretty intrigued and lost. I imagine he's done these sorts of events for years but it's always a spectacle to take in and he'd told me earlier that he didn't know how much time he had. So I approached him and essentially informed him of where everything was. It sounded as though he wanted to see it all but he set off in the direction of Kristian. This was surreal because, for a few moments, it just felt as though I was hanging out with one of my childhood heroes at a convention and I was giving him something back (a quick run through of a map, it's not much of a gesture, but it's something). He tweeted me that evening and said he's definitely going to allocate more time to set free his inner fanboy at the next event he's at!

• Like 1

My main surreal moments:

James Remar grabbing me into a huge bear hug when I went to his photoshoot. It caught me completely unawares, I was just going to go for a typical arm-around-waist pose as that was what most people had been doing before me, but he just pulled me to him and hugged me SO tightly I think I internally blacked out for a second. I don't really like showing my teeth when I smile but I was so surprised and excited by the fact that James Remar was bear-hugging me I ended up widely grinning like a dork for our picture.

Most moments involving Darren Lynn Bousman. Probably the main moments being when I mentioned I was thinking about putting together a cosplay for Amanda from the Saw franchise, and he prompty said that would be hot. And when I went back to the table later in the day, he hung about to talk to me for a few minutes (he wasn't busy at the time) and asked if he could see our photoshoot picture to check it was alright. So I pulled out my folder that I was keeping my photos and autographs in and he actually had a look through all the stuff I'd collected.

And most moments with J. LaRose, too. Namely finding out how soft-spoken and smiley he is. I don't know what I'd expected him to be like in person, especially since I'd watched a lot of interviews with him online in the past so I knew what he was like but it was still a surprise, he seemed particularly kind and friendly on the day. Getting a proper genuine hug from him absolutely made my day. I will not be able to watch his scene in Saw III any more without thinking "hey, you hugged me >3<".

• Like 1

- I was sitting on the 1st floor cafeteria. Tom Savini crosses it between two of the tables, holding a chair over his head with one hand.

- A friend and I were queuing for a photoshoot in the always busy A area. The elevator doors open to our right, and out comes Kristian Nairn, silently crossing the crowd and towering over us.

- Frances Lee McCain greeting everyone at her photoshoot with "Hi, I'm Frances". How adorable is she :)

On Saturday I was cosplaying as Mario from the Nintendo games, and my real name happens to be Mario. That led to a couple funny moments:

- Greeting Bill Paxton for his photoshoot. "Hi Bill". "Hi Mario, how are you?" Like we're old buddies :D
- A girl outside wanted to ask me for my spork once I finished my salad, which is a bit surreal in and of itself. The way she asked was "Hi Mario... Sorry to call you Mario, I don't know your real name." I mean, it was so nice of her to say that, no one ever bothers with it. But she had to say it to the one guy for whom it was totally unnecessary :D

Having to wait for Michael Gambon to finish chatting to Christopher Lloyd before he continued his signing.

Getting kicked out of a lift on Saturday as they wanted to use it for an embarrassed looking Michael Gambon.

Although the strangest was after two solid days of walking around the con and seeing celebrities, and whilst outside trying to hail a cab, seeing Finn Jones and Kristian Nairn just sitting by the entrance to the car park chatting.

whilst outside trying to hail a cab, seeing Finn Jones and Kristian Nairn just sitting by the entrance to the car park chatting.

I was there watching as well. They were waiting for their lift home. Few people went up to them gladly, so they chatted and then Finn had to get on the phone and see where their car was haha

I stood there for nearly an hour. Most of the days guests popped up on that entrace :-) some said Hello, some were whisked away quickly into blacked out limos haha Ot was fun to just relax and watch them without crowds!

Edited by RomeroSavini

Iain Glen telling me he would email me after he’s finished reading the fan book I have put together for him from fans all over the world and squeezing my hands rather tightly in the 2nd of the two photo shoots I had with him. (*THUD*)

Harry Treadaway (Penny Dreadful) telling me he loved me!!

• Like 1

I was walking around, and bumped into Ken Kirzingers wife, she seemed star struck by the standard of my costume. And because Ken could only take one pic with me which was with the hockey mask on and not when I unmasked the hock, she wanted to show ken pics with the face under the hockey mask. So it was fantastic seeing how much she loved my costume, wanted pics with her so I could share them

IMG_9179_zpsc9bq4wrd.jpg

IMG_9178_zpsgzbqw6d6.jpg

Probably the best part of the weekend, was bumping into the VS Jason's wife

Edited by Horrorfanatic85
  • Like 2

My surreal moments were when meeting James Remar at the Friday photoshoot forgetting my own strength and giving him a firm handshake which resulted in him voicing how strong I was to everyone in the area causing me to nearly panic fearing I’d broken his hand!

I’d brought down Scottish five pound notes to pay for autographs with which happened to be a good ice breaker with Daniel Portman as the blue shirt commented on it to him and we got into conversation about where in Scotland I’d come down from. As it turned out he’d been in St.Andrews recently doing a play and we got into talking about the local theatre and the problems it has and what a shame it is as it has such good facilities.

Whilst waiting for Gemma Whelan’s photoshoot the photographer needed a comfort break so disappeared. In the meantime Gemma arrived and casually began talking to us and when it was my photoshoot turn I told her how awesome I thought it was that she did that as I hadn’t seen anyone else do that (though no one else was missing a photographer I imagine) and she was all well what else was I going to do!? She is lovely.