My Experiences on Saturday a honest review

I'm not going to lie here. I will mention the good and bad. I have to say this was an EXTREMELY mixed bag for me.

The show was definitely bigger, but was it better?

I had a truly wonderful time last year. I got to meet EVERY guest I wanted, the staff were great and despite it being crowded and hot, it wasn't unbearable for me. My friends and I drove down from Shropshire and regardless of being a very long day it was actually one of the most memorable days of my life. I got to meet childhood heroes, talk with them, see great cosplay and have some lovely conversations.

This year I wanted to show so many of my friends WHY they should come with me. So I organised a group of 13 people in a hired mini bus, got up at 3am and set off to the con with a bus load of people. We arrived early like last year despite this we found we had to queue down around the building. It was unexpectedly massive. My heart sank when I saw the sheer number of gold pass holders who were being taken to their entrance. It did seem like quite a large amount to say the least.

Still once it got moving it wasn't too bad and we got in around 30mins after the door was opened.

Thats when things got, overwhelming to say the least. The moment I walked in I tried to make a bee line to the autograph sections for Christopher Lloyd and Bill Paxton to get a VQ ticket. The place was rammed. I mean RAMMED. I couldn't get to the stairs without being pushed about by other con goers, by the time I managed to get to the stairs and find the autograph section (10 minutes to get up one flight of stairs) I managed to snag my VQ tickets....

Christopher Lloyd 453 Bill Paxton 589

Within 40 minutes of the doors opening. My heart sank even further as I was desperate to meet them. The one person I HAD to meet was Sigourney Weaver. There was no way I was getting a VQ ticket for her if these were the VQ numbers already going around.

Fortunately I did prepare for the idea of the VQ tickets going crazy and felt at this point it was time to go diamond.

A quick side note to this review. I had to sell a bunch of my stuff to get the money needed for a Sigourney Weaver diamond pass. Sadly by the time I had got enough money the con was a day away. So it was a case of either buying a pass online and hope no technical difficulties occurred so I could just collect it at the stall on the day OR buy it on the day, take the risk that I could get a VQ ticket and then see even more guests. I had checked the forums and it was confirmed that you could buy any remaining passes available on the day.

Now I am fully aware of the risks of not getting a pass at all by doing it this way and I would urge any readers out there to NOT do it this way as its a very sure fire way of not meeting anyone at all. The Sigourney passes could have easily been sold out by the time I got there but I did not want to personally risk a technical error POSSIBLY happening that would have meant no money for the con and no pass (I would like to point out there was no indication that would have happened at all on Showmasters part. This was my own paranoia)

Anyway, I went off to the Diamond pass stall on the first floor.

Me: 'Can I buy a pass for Sigourney Weaver please?'

Very polite and friendly blue shirt helper 'You need to go downstairs to the photo sales area'

I thought it odd they would organise it that way for sure, but not a problem. I went down stairs and couldn't fund the sales booth. I asked a blue shirt helper who, again very politely, explained that she did not know here to go but thought it was on the other side 'somewhere' I make my way down to the other side getting a bit more nervous at the thought that the fabled pass would be even further from my grasp. I get to the booth and I am told that all the diamond passes are sold out and they do not sell them at that desk but the supervisor for that area will find out where I can get one from.

She disappears for 10 minutes to return and tell me that the diamond pass desk upstairs is the place to go only AFTER you have purchased them online. Thats it I can't have one.

I then start to panic thinking I had got all my money on me. They only way to now get one is to go out the con. Find the local branch of my bank, deposit the cash in, go online and then buy one from the Showmasters site. Thinking this was a ridiculous idea (after all the forums had confirmed I could do this and what business is NOT going to allow you a chance to give them £400?.

I go back up to the diamond pass desk and try to ask again.

ANOTHER side note (last one I promise) my professional job has a lot of pressure and involves risk. I can't say what I do but I will say I do it well. I also happen to have (strangely enough) an anxiety condition. I can work perfectly fine and have had loads of things happen to me professionally that would make most people have panic attacks. I have dealt with this condition for YEARS now and I know my triggers; severe lack of sleep, things that effect me on a personal not professional level can sometimes ignite it. I am pretty good with it though. That day I had approximately 1-2 hours of sleep in around 36 hours due to my daughter being unwell at home add to the chaos around me and the potential severe disappointment with what appeared to be no sort of help from the people who should know it was starting a 'perfect storm' for my anxiety. APART FROM THE STAFF NOT KNOWING WHAT TO DO THIS WAS NOT SHOWMASTERS FAULT!!

I want to make that clear before any potential 'keyboard warrior' responses come up to this post saying im bashing Showmasters for my own personal problems. I'm not. Their involvement in it is only from the staffs lack of knowledge on where things were.

Continuing on...

I get back to the diamond pass place where I am starting to have a panic attack and explain this to a WONDERFUL blue shirt member of staff who is kind and acknowledges what is going on with me. They explain they are new to the con themselves, and they understand what having a panic attack is like.

They take me away to a calmer part of the table and explain they will get the red shirt team leader to come and deal with my concern and to please try not to worry. Showmasters take note for this part please. Another LOVELY crew member in the shape of the team leader comes to me and explains that they can take money for the pass, please don't worry, would I need any medical assistance and they would sort it out for me.

I cannot thank both the blue shirt crew lady who I initially saw at this desk and her line manager enough. They were wonderful. Well done Showmasters on these individuals. They were professional and lovely.

I get my pass and manage to calm myself down slightly via breathing techniques and the issue resolving. Sadly I couldn't pick up my limited edition print that went with my pass due to still being shaky and needing to leave the area to find my friends (any chance I can have it posted Showmasters?)

I then went to my friends and one of them comes with me to look after me (as im still shakey) when I go to get my Sigourney Weaver signature. I get to the Diamond pass area where she is and I the crew are lovely. They allow my friend to keep looking after me while I

Meet Sigourney (before anyone asks I only had ONE autograph on my own poster it wasnt a ploy for my friend to get an autograph too!! So please don't suggest it he kept quiet and just made sure I was ok. Again thank you Showmasters doing that. It helped me calm down even further as the heat was not helping either. Blue shirt crew

Member manning the door? Thank you for being so understandable and professional. He was good)

A note on the diamond pass for signatures. A lot of people have been annoyed by the introduction of them this year. Personally I think for the set up of meeting a MAJOR star like Sigourney was totally worth it. The area was private, COOL, and just generally lovely. The staff we great and Sigourney is soooooooooooo nice, calm and friendly. Really nice lady (thank you Ms Weaver!!!)

Then it was back to the crazy heat and chaos of the floor.

There were loads of great cosplayers out at the con (my favourite one being Rick from Rick and Morty - she was amazing) there were also some very rude and annoying cosplayers sadly. Now this is clearly something Showmasters have no control over. The way a person acts (unless its an uncontrollable medical issue) it all on the person. As a normal con goer walking around not in costume I would say I respect the hell out of you for doing it but just be mindful if you are walking around with quivers of Arrows on your back, swords, guns, armour, etc in confined spaces they can whack people easily. Especially with the layout that way there. There was a wonderful balloon dinosaur and Chris Pratt trainer cosplay from Jurassic World wondering around. Lovely funny people, however maybe being in such a big costume in some of the corridors linking the sides may not have been the best of ideas (not attacking you guys were great but it was hard to move around you when I was trying to hold back a panic attack and you were doing your trainer stuff - which was really funny btw. I got to see you do it later on when I was better)

Carrie Henn was LOVELY and we spoke about our jobs, what filming was like, child protection matters and chit chat in general. If anyone gets a chance to meet her do it. She was great.

At this point I had to take time out to fully calm down and then maybe look around until my Aliens talk as part of my diamond pass.

Sadly it was nigh impossible to move. The elevators were so badly queued up that I couldn't use them. I went to access the stairs. Same issue. I was trapped on the 1st floor!! It got so bad that I couldn't get to the Aliens talk so sadly I missed it. This was something that could have been controlled by crew members but sadly it wasn't. It Could have been helped and I do have to say that it was badly organised.

Then the photo sessions happened. I managed to attend but getting to them was hard. REALLY hard. Due to the over crowding and the access to them.

It was at this point something INCREDIBLY SERIOUS happened which I need to talk to Showmasters directly about. I won't mention it here. Its a very private and serious matter which needs to be dealt with.

I got heat stroke due to

Poor ventilation in the building. A huge thank you goes out towards the the Olympia security staff member who saw what was

happening to me and looked after me radioing the Olympia medical staff. Sadly NO ONE ELSE HELPED.

Con Goers caused a major issue for the wonderful medical staff from the Olympia to get to me. This is a very dangerous that needs addressing. It took them 20 minutes to get to me due to the crowds and they were a floor above where I was. That definitely needs to be addressed for future cons.

After spending two hours in the medical station I was cooled down and tried to walk around more of the con with a friend. At this point I will be honest my day was at a low point.

Thankfully some of the congestion on the first floor had calmed down enough to gain entry to the second floor. I never got to the third sadly : (

I managed to actually look at some of the stalls and get to even buy a TARDIS pop vinyl from a store managed by Ming The Merciless - great stall ran by great guys. Suddenly a con goer grabbed my eye. No one else had spotted him and I was shocked that no one had. Especially at this con of all Places!!

I didn't want to draw attention to him as he clearly was there as someone WHO wanted to enjoy the con so I politely walked up to him, smiled and said 'excuse me' he turned and smiled. I shook him by the hand and said 'love your work' he smiled back and said 'thank you' and I left Stephen Moffatt to enjoy the rest of his day : )

As a life long Doctor Who fan this really made my day. Lovely bloke.

I got to speak to my favourite author of all time Robert Rankin who was humble and funny. My friends and I had a

Good 20 minute talk with im and that made the con instantly better.

I got to get to the Tom Savini stand where he looked overly hot and was very quite but polite and nice.

It was then time for

My final shoot of the day.

The Sigourney Weaver powerloader shoot.

I spoke with a lovely lady in the queue and she told me of her love for the actress. This was one of the quickest smoothest photo shoot I have ever done. No hassles or long waits. It was great. Sigourney was lovely and I love my

Photo.

That was the cherry ontop of my day.

In summary it was a good day with a couple of very bad moments. I feel that I enjoyed last year slightly more. I definitely see merit in the Diamond pass and as its the first time doing them I feel that there are a few kinks to work out. That said? I do believe they are worth it. I think for sheer value for money the stuff you got in the Sigourney pass was totally worth it as it added someone elses autograph. I would recommend them.

Ok here is the brief list

Pros

Diamond pass IS worth it but kinks need to be ironed out (like scheduling times and location of events that are linked to them. Maybe keep everything linked to it on the same floor?) also linking a major actor on the pass to another actor involved with the film/TV show they are commonly linked with is a really good idea. I think Showmasters should continue that.

Some of the staff were incredible and brilliant

Loads to do

Massive event

Had a great day

Cons

Some of the staff we AWFUL I really need to speak to someone from showmasters directly

About it. (Email link please)

Although the con was bigger the layout maps were not that great and they is a serious and very real issue with getting stuck on floors. Thats dangerous for a number of reasons (my lack of escape caused the heat stroke and the prolonged arrival for

Medical help could have left me in a sticky wicket)

Cosplayers need to not really be allowed in big costumes if Showmasters keep the location. It was an issue to get anywhere.

Crank the AC for the buildings high as it can go!

There was the feeling of a real divide ticket wise this year. Gold tickets got early entry but because they had to get VQ tickets as well for

The major Guests this caused a issue for standard entry to meet them. It may be an idea of just going only Diamond and Gold tickets (with VQ's) can see these guests to avoid disappointing people or possibly even going as far as giving VQ's to Standard only passes for a one hour allotted slot during the day where they may have a chance of meeting the guest.

Until next year thanks Showmasters!

• Like 3

I feel the same as you. Some good points, but some REALLY bad ones. Entry, despite the huge queue only took an hour, even though I couldn't get there until 9am. I was happy with that. Once inside, I felt like I couldn't breath. Sorry SM, but too many people!!!! It was boiling hot, and you couldn't move. I get it wasn't technically over capacity, but this was because you were counting the two top levels, that hardly had any people go upto them!

VQ tickets for high end guests were a shambles. If you didn't have a gold pass for RDA, you'd had it. One lady had ticket number 7, and was still in his queue at 5pm! I had 399, so knew I had no chance.

Staff - some amazing helpful people and also some total ar***!

The guy on photoshoot A was lucky someone didn't punch him. He talked to the crowd like they were a herd of sheep!

The guy on Alexander Siddig in the afternoon was lovely. We had RDA at 3.25, and Alex's shoot was running late, so they were starting almost together. I explained this, and he was so sweet and rushed us through.

The staff on RDA's were also very good, walking up and down the HUGE line keeping us informed and claling out batch numbers. This was helpful, as all day long we noticed the boards displaying info we'd been promised, either weren't there, or weren't being filled on!

The gent on Robert Englund's last shoot was also excellent. He handled the crowd perfectly, getting us into nice safe group with a laugh and a joke. He made it so less stressful!

All in all, too many people on the bottom levels for safety IMHO. Not enough staff who actually knew what they were doing. Not enough communication via the boards, and the VQ priority needs sorting, so for high end guests lowly ordinary tickets at least stand a chance! Maybe give gold etc priority times, and at all other times they have to take their chances with a ticket like us? And limit items to one item per attendee?

Oh, and take the tannoy off in the stage area, it was very annoying in the RDA talk! I don't think Mr Anderson was impressed either, so he may already have mentiuoned this!

My biggest issue was the venue. Having the event over a number of floors would not be a problem if they were adequately served by stairs and lifts. Staff while nice and generally helpful did not know their surroundings and IMO were not given enough training to direct people where they needed to go. There only appeared to be one set of stairs serving all three floors behind the kitchen. The queues to use this stairs at times got ridiculous. Also the doors from the halls onto this stairwell opened up against the bottom step. A fire hazard if ever I say one. This needs to be resolved as a matter of urgency. The backlog in that stairwell was dangerous. I can only imagine the panic which would ensue if a fire did break out.

Also something needs to be done about air conditioning. It was sweltering hot and the huge crowds did not help. The queue to enter the building was beyond ridiculous and having the majority of people enter the arena through one entrance was a mistake. Something needs to be done to get people in through a number of entrances like you do at a football match.

Thankfully I got all my photo shoots although I did miss my first two in the morning as a result of the entrance queue. Guests were great.

I just hope SM learn from this and make next years event safer and more enjoyable.

PS: Big shout out to my fellow attendees at the Hayley Attwell signature queue. You guys rock. Thank you for allowing me get my signature as I was only there for the day. Really made the even for me knowing there is so many great people attending these events.

• Like 2

Had the same issue with getting around it was a totally nightmare..To me Olympia wasn't designed to have this many people all at the one time going from one level to another. Getting between floors 1 &3 was a task as you could only use a lift, there was so many people stuck on the 3rd floor they had to use the goods lift. Also found having the photo shoots dotted around over the various floors was not a great help ever.

Without a Gold or Diamond pass there was no way you stood a chance to get both autographs & photo shoots done for the bigger guests on the same day..

Agree with Kitts about the guy on Photoshoot A about how he was talking to the crowd and how no-one punched he, but in his defense he probably had the worst shoot area to look after, as nearly all the main stars were done there

I did managed to get either a photoshoot or autograph for everyone I wanted to see..Highlights for me Sigourney Weaver who was totally wonderful, MJF & Lea Thompson(who I would of loved to of taken home with me..lol).

I would do another London Con but will spend 2/3 days next time.

Hopefully by the Winter Con you can sort out the issue of getting between floors

Thanks SM overall it was an enjoyable day

Edited by Jabberwocky50

The venue is for me a disaster, the architect of that building should be kicked... There is no logic in that design of that building, if you have a venue which is on a few floors, you can´t have such a small stairwell. I think this stairwell was even dangerous with that amount of people. and also the logic of the locations for the photo shoots, you should have taken floor 3 for all shootings, there was more than enough space. PhotoShoot A where all the big stars were, was not good situated at all, when there was a big guest like Sigourney or Michael J. Fox it was nearly impossible to get through those people.
I loved being at the con yesterday, but that crowded staircase was just horrible, it was stress to get from point A to B.

Edited by timlux

The venue is for me a disaster, the architect of that building should be kicked... There is no logic in that design of that building, if you have a venue which is on a few floors, you can´t have such a small stairwell. I think this stairwell was even dangerous with that amount of people. and also the logic of the locations for the photo shoots, you should have taken floor 3 for all shootings, there was more than enough space. PhotoShoot A where all the big stars were, was not good situated at all, when there was a big guest like Sigourney or Michael J. Fox it was nearly impossible to get through those people.

I loved being at the con yesterday, but that crowded staircase was just horrible, it was stress to get from point A to B.

lets be fair, the building has been there since the 1880's and bits have been added to it since then throughout its life.The roof wasn't changed until the 1990's!.No architect would design it like that these days, it is what it is, an old building converted over the years into a new use. Thats why its so cheap to hire.You can't go in there and expect it to be like Excel or O2.Just like Earls court its just an old worn out building that needs bulldozing but while they keep using it you have to put up with it.

I agree with the staff. Some where lovely and helpful, others weren't. Not because they weren't nice people but they genuinely did not know where things where. I asked 2 blue shirts how to get to YALC and they bot said "I'm really sorry I don't know".

My biggest issue was the venue. Having the event over a number of floors would not be a problem if they were adequately served by stairs and lifts. Staff while nice and generally helpful did not know their surroundings and IMO were not given enough training to direct people where they needed to go. There only appeared to be one set of stairs serving all three floors behind the kitchen. The queues to use this stairs at times got ridiculous. Also the doors from the halls onto this stairwell opened up against the bottom step. A fire hazard if ever I say one. This needs to be resolved as a matter of urgency. The backlog in that stairwell was dangerous. I can only imagine the panic which would ensue if a fire did break out.

Also something needs to be done about air conditioning. It was sweltering hot and the huge crowds did not help. The queue to enter the building was beyond ridiculous and having the majority of people enter the arena through one entrance was a mistake. Something needs to be done to get people in through a number of entrances like you do at a football match.

Thankfully I got all my photo shoots although I did miss my first two in the morning as a result of the entrance queue. Guests were great.

I just hope SM learn from this and make next years event safer and more enjoyable.

PS: Big shout out to my fellow attendees at the Hayley Attwell signature queue. You guys rock. Thank you for allowing me get my signature as I was only there for the day. Really made the even for me knowing there is so many great people attending these events.

Sorry Bud, gotta disagree most strongly with letting people in via multiple entrances. The difference with a football match and a con is nobody needs VQ tickets to watch Soccer, you get there first, or last, you get to see the same game. Open ten doors for LFCC and your chance of getting a VQ ticket goes from low, to forget about it.

Maybe they need to go back to the set up when they had they had the early bird tickets. Still stick to pre purchase entry tickets only but start letting people in at 8/8.30. That way lots of people can get in with plenty of time to start getting their VQ tickets and getting to their first photo shoots. There may be a reason why they didn't do that this time but I think it'd make things a bit calmer.

Re Gold tickets maybe send them out in the post to the registered address of the card holder only but require ID checks in the queue to match purchase records - make it easy in the ordering that if it's a gift the attendee's name must be on the order. then crew can match up ID's to records in the queue before opening and hopefully that would make things easier. You might have to have an order cut off though.

I was, together with thousands, trapped on the third level for 30 minutes. I am not going to repeat here the health and safety issues well exposed by others but I want to suggest Showmasters to have a look at the following website http://www.hse.gov.uk/risk/index.htm

I don't know much about risk assessment but I believe that if someone called the inspectors they might have shut down the event straight away.

• Like 2

Can't decide whether this years experience was better or worse than last year.

Pros:

The queuing system outside... although it looked scarily daunting wasn't actually that bad. I think myself and friends were only queuing for approx. 45 minutes. Though I much preferred having the early bird option.

Most of the staff were very friendly. Special shout out to Luke at photo booth A who managed to get people queuing in a fairly orderly fashion among the chaos of the TINY area (for such huge guests) but please.. next time.. give the poor guy a megaphone or something, I'd be surprised if he hasn't done some serious damage to his throat the way he was having to shout above the noise.

Most of the staff seemed in good spirits from what I saw. Different story last year.

The cosplay stage area was an AWESOME go to area to sit down and take a breather (and have some lunch). :dance:

The cosplayers are upping their game every year. Props to you all (pun intended).

Cons.

WAY TOO MANY PEOPLE. AGAIN. I appreciate you didn't sell above capacity but due to the layout, from what I noticed, hardly anyone needed to go to levels 2 and 3 (3 was being used as a chill out area for a bunch of people due to it being so empty) so the majority of the 1000's of people were hanging out on level 1 and ground. Can't tell you how long it took us to get from the cosplay stage to what seemed like the only UP stairwell on the whole floor at the complete opposite end.

Am I going mad but were there WAY more DOWN stairwells than UP? Halfway through the day, Olympia staff started opening the goods lifts to get people to the other floors as the lifts were packed and the stairwells had to be shut off for short periods of time due to too many people. I dread to think what would have happened if there had been a fire.

Although there was more space overall.. the staggered level flooring is really not ideal for this type of event and capacity

Staff were great but once again, most of them didn't have a clue where things were or how to help most people in general. I didn't need assistance myself but experienced so many people getting a blank reaction and some shrugged shoulders.

This one is out of showmasters control but my god... so many rude, obnoxious people. Cosplayers included. Maybe it was the stress and heat of the day but someone pretty much took a chunk out of my shoulder angrily pushing past me with (what looked like) their week long camping trip rucksack flying about. WE'RE ALL IN THE SAME BOAT. Chill out and have some respect. Also... I respect each and every cosplayer for the effort you go through before and during con, but if you insist on wearing the biggest costume ever... don't huff and puff and get pissy because there's not enough room to move about freely. The non-cosplayers have a right to move around too.

Autograph tables on level one were in a BAD spot. That particular part of the floor wasn't big enough for a few of the guests/queues there. The queues went right out into the tiny amount of walkway space there was anyway.

Photo queues: Apart from my Tom Savini bunch getting shouted at for forming an orderly queue along side the wall (because apparently not hoarding around the entrance was a bad thing), I didn't experience too much hassle with my photo queues but again... A... the main booth was in a really bad spot for the guests you had in there and the obvious amount of people having to queue up. GET QUEUE BARRIERS!!! Being told, people will abuse the detachable rope by one of the staff was laughable. No one pays attention to the tape on the floor as it is. I saw SOOOO many queue jumpers.

The only air con I experienced was on level 3 and it was lovely. Could have stayed up there all day. It was probably the sheer amount of body heat that prevented us from feeling any on the other floors (if it was on) but it's not safe. Saw a few people have panic attacks from the crowds they got caught up in.

I really love LFCC. It's the only con event I've ever been too but you're growing at a crazy pace now - it's time to put some real thought into looking after the people who are making it grow. It really is the smaller things that will help in a huge way. Long live LFCC.

Short an sweet.....love lfcc!!!!! 1 of the best yet in terms of guests!!!

Downfall was sheer mass off people struggling to move all over the place. No air con except on level 3.

Love olimpia building for this event but think guests could have been positioned better rather than scattered all over.

Generally i thought the event was good, but there are various things that really need to be sorted;

• Bring back staggered opening with early bird tickets, it looked like you had the entire capacity turn up and try to get in at 9. I arrived at 830 and did not get in until about 1045.
  • Over head hanging signs would make navigating and finding areas much easier.
  • Put 'you are here' markers on the maps.
  • Level 1 in particular was very over crowded and hot.
  • Give the guests more signing time.
  • Perhaps a dedicated hall with tables and chairs and food sellers for people to chill out, like most other events these days.

It would also have been nice if someone had gone up and down the queues in the morning letting people know what was happening and pulling people out who were going to miss photo shoots etc.

The outside queue management that was run by Olympia worked very well.