Photos at signing tables

While I found her extremely lovely and personable this weekend, I noticed Nicole De Boer specifically saying this to people too.

Having seen here elsewhere, where she actively insisted in some cases on pictures, I was unimpressed with the policy.

Oh, she was definitely lovely (so was her daughter). She apologized for it and said it was because of the contract she signed with Showmasters. Colin Baker said a similar thing, too.

I got over the table photos with Donald Fullilove, Lea Thompson, Harry Waters Jr, Mark McClure, Frances Lee McCain, James Tolkan, Claudia Wells, Tom Burke, Tom Savini, James Remar, Zack Galligan, Tommy Walker, Peter Shinkoda, Clifton Collins Jr, Geoff Johns and Sherilyn Fenn.

All of the guests were very happy to pose for photos, especially Claudia Wells as I missed her actual photo shoot and had to go back to her table after meeting her for an autograph already. James Tolkan was an absolute legend too, considering he's pushing 80 he was up and down for photos at his table constantly and always looked happy.

I asked if I could take James Remar's photo (I meant to take it of him while he is sitting behind the desk)...he jumped up and came around the table...I was like..."oh, okay!" And handed my phone to his assistant. He was very nice! Even without the photo-thing. :D

• Like 1

I asked if I could take James Remar's photo (I meant to take it of him while he is sitting behind the desk)...he jumped up and came around the table...I was like..."oh, okay!" And handed my phone to his assistant. He was very nice! Even without the photo-thing. :D

After signing my partner's Alien quadrilogy book, James asked if there was anything else I wanted, so I asked for a quick photo. He came around the table and we got a nice photo holding up the book. What a nice thing for him to do! Going to be tough watching him play a bad guy now :smile:

The minder with John Ratzenburger wouldn't even allow a photo of John while he signed my pic, what's the reasoning behind this??

We were told this re: Sherilyn Fenn as well.....

Sherri was fine with table photos on Friday morning, but by Friday afternoon had a makeshift 'no photos' sign. The only person on Friday for me who I didn't get a table photo with was Kevin Eastman - he said it was because Showmasters wanted to push the official shoots.

I only got one with Jessica Henwick while I was getting an autograph. She had a sign up so I asked if she still wasn't doing them, and she said she'd happily take one with me and climbed on top of the table to get next to me which I really appreciated. She was really cool, she totally made my day.

I would have happily paid for a photoshoot but I had too many others arranged already. I actually prefer table photos to professional ones sometimes.

Over the desk photos are never that great, though.

Besides, people pay decent money for photos. Yes, auto people have paid too - but for an auto. What if every photo payer asked for a quick scribble before moving away for the next person in the queue to have their photo? Paying for one thing and expecting a freebie - which is what is being debated here with the paid autos+over the desk photos. So I can well understand why more guests are saying no posed over the desk photos...

I get both whenever I can. I mostly prefer the pro photos, but my hair ended up looking way better in the over the counter photos I got than in the shoots where it ended up looking washed out and greyish (my hair is blue and was recently dyed so it would look good).

I disagree with saying no to over the counter photos if they have photoshoots. It should be left up to the guest and whether they have time. People who go for autos know they might not get a photo, it's a bonus they *might* get, heck in some cases they might not get the auto either as not all guests will make it to every fan. When you book a photo it's pretty much a guarantee, it's those who go for autos that take the risk.

This is one of the most mysterious and atavistic issues. SM have stated in the past that it is the guest that, at some point, decides not to do posed photos and there is a sort of "agreement" they can blame it onto SM. This might be true, otherwise I couldn't explain why so many actors do concede posed photos. I took three autos and got posed photos in all three cases.

A different explanation might be that SM try to "convince" the guests not to take posed photos, in order to have more fans purchasing photoshoots, and some accept and others don't.

Said that, at a convention organised by a different company, after having had a nice chat with one Heroes actor, I asked for a posed photo which he was happy to do but before saying yes he looked around him, as if to check that his attendant wasn't looking, and then say "yes, that's fine but let's do it quickly" ... that implied "before they find out". At another event, it was clearly stated by the organisers "no posed photos" for everyone at all, no matter what. Obviously, it is in the best interest of the organisers to cash in as much as possible but, for SM events, I want to concede them the benefit of the doubt.

I always ask, like I say it doesn't hurt to ask. It's maybe wrong of me but I like to see just how much I can get in the way of momentos with guests I want to meet and so far I'm lucky to often have ended up with a photoshoot picture, an autograph AND a table picture. All the guests I've met have been plenty happy to do it. The only hiccup I ever had was Luke Pasqualino not doing flash photos, which was fine. If he'd said no photos period that would have been fine too, it just never hurts to politely ask because usually they're more than happy to take a picture.

Plus, I've gotten lots of hugs from guests this way. :)

If there are signs saying No Photographs or No Posed Photographs you just have to respect this. Most of the guests are having professional photo shoots done.

If there are no signs by the guest I will ask them politely if I can take a photo of them signing and the majority are more than happy too. It is even better when

the guest says would you like a photo together.

I saw JDF getting annoyed because everyone was asking him for a photo and he didn't want to say no, but wanted the staff to let people know he does have a no posed photo sign up.

This was on the Friday and he was super busy. Not sure if this changed over the weekend but I have read people saying how he was happy to take selfies etc.

IMO I would now ban all over the table photos. With so many people failing to get the autos they want, the autograph needs to take priority over people wanting a freebie pic too.

• Like 1