Guest Cancellations

Filming schedules can change like *that*. Say they planned to do a bunch of scenes on an outdoor set for a few days, and these scenes really needed it to be sunny, and then it poured with rain for a week. They have to switch to scenes that they can film indoors (that maybe they'd planned to film later) and postpone the outdoors ones. Or another actor gets sick or injured and needs all their scenes to be moved back a few days. Again they need to find scenes to film instead because time not filming is money down the drain for studios.

Depending on the part an actor has, they could go from having none of their scenes scheduled for several days to suddenly their scenes have been moved up and need to be done now!

Oh yes.

Didn't Alex Meraz get called back from the airport once? I'm not sure if I have the right guest, but I remember it was someone from Twilight.

• Like 1

Look what happened in The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit, They recast roles and needed the actors in ASAP to start filming as they had to refilm lots of already done scenes.

Not saying thats happened but you never know.

There was a comment on one of the Facebook groups that I thought was pretty spot on, It was along the lines of, Imagine you were an actor and you were offered a role in a TV series or movie, how would you know that, that isn't going to become the next GoT or Star Wars?

I was mainly looking forward to meeting Emily Kinney but if she has cancelled due to work then that means we either get to see her in something else or she is working on more music, thats cool by me.

• Like 1

I can't remember how many of my wish list guests cancelled last year now but can think of 3 straight off. I just accepted the fact and carried on. I came along, met and made new friends, enjoyed meeting the guests that I had planned to and several I didn't I started going to conventions back in 1993 and always accepted the fact as was stated way back then that guests appear subject to work commitments/availability. I'd rather my idols being out there working than not.

Edited by Knitty Fred

• Showmasters Admin

Hi Everyone

Guests dropping out it gos with the task we deal with here none of us like it ether.

The week to two just before a show is the critical time for any guest , its that point where they totally know if they can attend or not if they are a guest that is working a lot .

For instance this week Game of Thrones is filming and yesterday we were told that we are good to go with the guests that are filming with them this week , some did not know 100% the day before but today we have booked there flights and car pick ups so its all good but it could have been different ? they could have been could out if filming was behind and they needed them to film over the weekend ? things like this happen but no one can be shore till around the two to one week mark , with guests that are not working right now we are safer and there is less chance of losing them .

As i say no one likes it but its part of what we have to deal with.

People do not like it and we understand that , i will let you into a secret we do not like it ether , 3 guest over the last few days were so close to there flight leaving before they told us they could not attend we lost the chance to cancel the flights and lost the money we paid for the flights thats over $13,000 so far for this event alone , and its a spot we could have used for another guest and we also have to refund all the tickets for photo shoots that takes us a lot of time to refund and we also lose money on every refund we do as there is a charge to us for every processed ticket which we do not get back so every guest lost costs us money and time so beleave us we hate guests dropping out also.

Anyway there is plenty of other amazing guests still for everyone to meet and the show will be amazing.

Jason

• Like 6

I've done a lot of cons, even organising one, and I've yet to come across an actor who hasn't felt disappointed if not upset they can't meet their fans. They have as much fun doing them as we do.

Also even if you don't get any guests to meet etc there's always new things, loads of stalls, loads to do. I found about 90% of my friends at conventions and it's great to meet up (and a great excuse to go to them too)

Hi Everyone

Guests dropping out it gos with the task we deal with here none of us like it ether.

The week to two just before a show is the critical time for any guest , its that point where they totally know if they can attend or not if they are a guest that is working a lot .

For instance this week Game of Thrones is filming and yesterday we were told that we are good to go with the guests that are filming with them this week , some did not know 100% the day before but today we have booked there flights and car pick ups so its all good but it could have been different ? they could have been could out if filming was behind and they needed them to film over the weekend ? things like this happen but no one can be shore till around the two to one week mark , with guests that are not working right now we are safer and there is less chance of losing them .

As i say no one likes it but its part of what we have to deal with.

People do not like it and we understand that , i will let you into a secret we do not like it ether , 3 guest over the last few days were so close to there flight leaving before they told us they could not attend we lost the chance to cancel the flights and lost the money we paid for the flights thats over $13,000 so far for this event alone , and its a spot we could have used for another guest and we also have to refund all the tickets for photo shoots that takes us a lot of time to refund and we also lose money on every refund we do as there is a charge to us for every processed ticket which we do not get back so every guest lost costs us money and time so beleave us we hate guests dropping out also.

Anyway there is plenty of other amazing guests still for everyone to meet and the show will be amazing.

Jason

So the Game of Thrones guests who are still in the show and filming currently are almost definitely coming? (Iain, Carice etc) (as in you got confirmation today that they're still okay to attend?)

If so-hooray!!!

I've been attending events for over 20 years and have got to the point now where I don't make the decision to attend until as late as I possibly can. Obviously, unlike me (I'm self-employed) not everyone can make the decision to buy a ticket for a particular day very close to the cut-off point, most have to book time off work well in advance and for those travelling any great distance and having to book hotels I fully understand the frustration involved.

It's the one problem with getting A-list and B-list guests from popular shows. They are always going to have the risk of cancellation. In the very early days it seemed that the guests attending either hadn't done a major role for a very long time or we were lucky that the event occurred with a time when they weren't filming. Look back at the type of guest attending any previous event over the last decade or so and you'll see that every year the names have gotten bigger, and so has the risk of losing them.

I'd love to see Showmasters be in a position where they could 100% guarantee attendance of each guest over all three days of an event so that everyone can get to see them but this is never going to happen, so now I am just grateful to try and see as many people as I can on whatever day I attend.

Filming schedules can change like *that*. Say they planned to do a bunch of scenes on an outdoor set for a few days, and these scenes really needed it to be sunny, and then it poured with rain for a week. They have to switch to scenes that they can film indoors (that maybe they'd planned to film later) and postpone the outdoors ones. Or another actor gets sick or injured and needs all their scenes to be moved back a few days. Again they need to find scenes to film instead because time not filming is money down the drain for studios.

Depending on the part an actor has, they could go from having none of their scenes scheduled for several days to suddenly their scenes have been moved up and need to be done now!

Oh yes.

Didn't Alex Meraz get called back from the airport once? I'm not sure if I have the right guest, but I remember it was someone from Twilight.

Something similar happend to us when we were attending (another event) - lauren cohen was scheduled to appear, got on her flight and found out during her layover that her schedule had moved up... so she had to recollect her luggage at the layover point and haul back on the first flight back to the states for TWD reshoots

Oh yes.

Something similar happend to us when we were attending (another event) - lauren cohen was scheduled to appear, got on her flight and found out during her layover that her schedule had moved up... so she had to recollect her luggage at the layover point and haul back on the first flight back to the states for TWD reshoots

It happened a few years ago when SM had Chris Judge booked. The day he was due to get on the plane he was called back to the studio to re film/voice some stuff. To his credit he got on another plane straight after and came straight to the event even though by that time he had effectively been up for about a day and a half already and got through everyone he could (hopefully he got some sleep on the plane). I think he was only a few hours late in the end.

No-one is denying that cancellations really suck - they hurt the fans and SM's.

What many people seem not to understand is the nature of being an actor is such that it's *extremely* difficult to plan for anything - especially for guests in some of the higher profile Fall shows as this is the time of year that a lot of filming takes place.

All it takes is for the director/producer/studio/whoever else has a say to decide they weren't happy with the way someone in the background smiled or walked, and there's a day of reshooting.

To be honest, I'd still attend if there wasn't anyone I wanted to meet - there's so much other stuff happening: Hanging out with friends, the vendors, talks, eeeeeeeeeeverything :)

This weekend is going to be awesome - instead of lamenting the few guests that can't make it this time, think about what else you can spend the money on - PRECIOUS STUFF!!!! :)

• Like 1

I think that this is a very poor excuse.

Unless a guest can prove that they are now filming for something they have been working on (not a new film or programme) then they should be committed to attend.

Have they not signed a contract with Showmasters?

Unless a guest can prove that they are now filming for something they have been working on (not a new film or programme) then they should be committed to attend.

Of course they did and in their contract it's written they can cancel whenever they like I'm sure. It's the guest who makes the rules here, otherwise they simply won't come at all. What do you want SM to do? Sue a guest for breach of contract? Then you can count on that guest and every other guest for that matter, to never do business with SM ever again and then you can kiss LFCC goodbye completely, forever.

Cancellations are part of the Con game. It happens with every con all over the world, it will not change.

I'd suggest you contact the guests agent and express your disappointment and see how far you get :whistling:

As everyone says it's par for the course with these events, and is in fact part of the T&C's that everyone agrees to when they buy tickets - that guests can cancel.

Well, I wasn't trying to "make excuses" at all - just put across a slightly different point of view.

Let's say you're a plumber, you work large contracts, but ultimately you're self employed.

You take on a small job that you're looking forward to doing - maybe it's in a good part of town, or you're friends with the home owner, but it *has* to be done on a certain day.

A couple of days/weeks before you're due to do the job, your contact from the large contract you're currently working on calls you and tells you that there's been a change of plans, and that they need you that specific day too.

The small job only takes you to do, but the larger job requires co-ordination of 50 other people, who are all in place. And, it's a longer term contract that allows you the opportunities to be able to take the smaller jobs once in a while.

What do you do?

agreed with others who have commented about people cancelling because of work commitments. obviously that comes first. i was buzzing to meet Emily Kinney *gazes off into space... oh emily...* and was gutted that she cancelled. however she did post on twitter explaining why and that it was to do with her getting more acting work in a role she couldnt pass up.

having to cancel a con because of work is ok by me, even if its dissappointing. cancelling one con and then showing up at another on the same date is what annoys me, and what at least one guest ive wanted to meet has doen in the past.

anyway, hopefully we'll get one or two decent late announcements. there's usually a couple the week before the con :D

out of my 6 im only getting one auto now as rest have cancelled i didnt book this event to see a specific guest but when all bar one cancels it is a blow and due to no refund policy on entry tickets you are stuffed if all your guests cancel and have a weekend ticket .....so in effect going for nothing if makes sense luckily i have one guest and two days to go so fingers crossed they will be attending still by weekend or ill be twiddling my thumbs all weekend sadly...

Well, I wasn't trying to "make excuses" at all - just put across a slightly different point of view.

Let's say you're a plumber, you work large contracts, but ultimately you're self employed.

You take on a small job that you're looking forward to doing - maybe it's in a good part of town, or you're friends with the home owner, but it *has* to be done on a certain day.

A couple of days/weeks before you're due to do the job, your contact from the large contract you're currently working on calls you and tells you that there's been a change of plans, and that they need you that specific day too.

The small job only takes you to do, but the larger job requires co-ordination of 50 other people, who are all in place. And, it's a longer term contract that allows you the opportunities to be able to take the smaller jobs once in a while.

What do you do?

We give you kudos for this analogy. If your boss tells you to show up for work because you're behind on schedule, you show up for work, no matter what sort of vacation you had planned.

Studios (and especially the manpower behind it) cost a lot of money. If they schedule an actor to appear, he damn well appear on his call time. One rule in showbizz, everyone is replaceable, even the main character if it has to go that far. If an actor can't commit to his role they'll either swap him/her or write him/her out of it for good.

When i met Norman Reedus at another con in 2013 he was called for shooting during his photo ops. They were literally throwing us in and throwing us off so he could get through everyone as his plane was waiting.

Edited by StuartG2198

Wow I had no idea it could be THAT short notice. I've been checking the forum constantly this week in the hope that an amazing guest is announced to make up for the cancellations. Seems unlikely now, although I'm sure an American con announced Neil Patrick Harris with one days notice recently.

Thought I'd chip on this after the tweets that were posted on the Showmasters Twitter...

Yes, it's sad that guests have had to cancel due to commitments (whether it's work or health), but supporters shouldn't be giving the guests the flack. It's out of their control.
Personally, if it were me and I saw supporters having a go at the guests on their social media accounts, I wouldn't allow them into the event.
So disrespectful. There's always another occasion to try catch them at.

(Luckily, none of my guests have cancelled as yet, but have hopes a couple of additional names will be added at the last minute.)

• Like 5