I wonder why

One of the biggest things that drew me to LFCC 2014 was the Cosplay guests. This year it seems that Cosplay has been completely ignored. There isn't even a Cosplay section in the Guests tab. I saw in another post on the forum that LFCC is trying to be more like US cons, that's why I don't understand the lack of Cosplay guests. I wish you will consider 2016 inviting national and international Cosplay guests.

LFCC.jpg

I was going to give an opinion, but as they fall under guests as well, I will tone it down. Basically, I think Showmasters would probably prefer spending money on guests that will attract more people.

I guess the Cosplay community is not big enough or important enough to warrant spending money on it.

Am I right in thinking that Cosplay guests would be people who are famous for being really good at fancy dress?

You tell me... I dont know what your thinking.

Asking was a legitimate thing - you post to ask why more cosplay guests aren't included, but then fail to define what you mean by cosplay guest, even when someone asks.

Cosplayers are welcome at the events, and always have been. SM even provide booths and have run competitions for cosplay outfits.

As for paying "people who've become famous for cosplaying" - I'm not sure what market there would be in that. SM work really hard to get guests that will appeal to a large audience, who will pay to see them.

Am I right in thinking that Cosplay guests would be people who are famous for being really good at fancy dress?

You tell me... I dont know what your thinking.

Asking was a legitimate thing - you post to ask why more cosplay guests aren't included, but then fail to define what you mean by cosplay guest, even when someone asks.

Cosplayers are welcome at the events, and always have been. SM even provide booths and have run competitions for cosplay outfits.

As for paying "people who've become famous for cosplaying" - I'm not sure what market there would be in that. SM work really hard to get guests that will appeal to a large audience, who will pay to see t

I have made posts earlier, asking for International Cosplay guests. Since I cant talk about other cons, its kind of hard to say directly. Here is direct, last year Showmasters invited Ivy Doomkitty (if you dont know who she is, please Google her), this year we get no International Cosplay guests. Even one would have been nice.

It will probably be an issue of space capital - Sales figures from last year will have been reviewed and with limited space this year, a signing tv/film guest might have been expected to draw more people and sell more than a cosplay guest.

To be totally honest, as a cosplayer myself I didn't actually like having "professional cosplayers" lauded as guests, and a number of other people on other convention forums and groups online who went to this event didn't like it either. The general gist of these feedback conversations online (which I mostly agree with) is that the ones they had there came across as over-sexualising cosplay (essentially some of them are alternative glamour models), and taking something away from the experience of cosplay as a fan-led form of self and character expression by putting certain cosplayers on a pedestal above others. Cosplay should be about 'pro's, it should be completely inclusive.

I appreciate that some people enjoy having them there though, so as I say maybe SM reviewed the figures and some of this feedback (and I saw a LOT of topics around the net which I summarised in the above) and decided not to use the increasingly valuable space for this kind of guest.

Edited by darthnad
  • Like 3

Ivy Doomkitty (if you dont know who she is, please Google her)

All due respect and all, but isn't it better to have someone like Sigourney Weaver who everyone knows rather than someone many people won't know. You acknowledge this yourself by assuming people have to google it.

Edited by MrFusion
  • Like 4

The cosplay guests were only announced late last week. Sometimes it takes a couple of days for the websites to be updated.

This is only the second LFACC actually having cosplay guests if memory serves me correct. Why no international guests... may be availability, may be contract issues with the things that can't be named.

The cosplay part of the shows has grown a lot since the LFACC events started. But things grow over time. At the first even I would have never been dreaming of one day seeing Sigourney Weaver attending either.

• Like 1

There will be literally hundreds and hundreds of wonderful cosplayers around the event who go to exceptional effort every year. It's one of my favourite parts of the show. None of them feel the need to be announced or be called Professional. They are all great people who create such good fun at the event and do it of their own accord.

• Like 6

I agree that cosplayers add elments of fun and glamour to the events, we have small children whom when we have done cons in the past love to see cosplayers and always ask various nice people for photos with them, adding paid cosplayers takes away from the everyday fans who spend months putting together the perfect costume.

I also agree it is a huge community and SM do well to provide lots of facilities and competitions for this part of the con community :-)

• Like 1