Meeting Female Guests

After saying a quick hello and before taking the picture you could also ask if that person is fine giving you a quick hug. I've not been to many cons but to a lot of concerts and shows where the acts do a meet and greet and they all were ok with it. But like the others have said "each to their own".

Robert Knepper and Paul McGann were fantastic last year, they made the first move to shake hands wih you, and both tried also to have a little smalltalk with everyone before the picture was taken.
And well with female guests, be always a gentleman, greet them, ask them what you are allowed to do for the picture, as everyone says Lena Headey was fun last year, also Summer Glau, both were fantastic with everyone too, at least with the people I saw them with :)

someone explain the Englund incident. my friend is meeting him and i'll be queuing with her

can't explain the Robert Englund incident but I can say he is awesome fun and I can't wait to meet him again.

It made my day when he remembered my name at my photoshoot from signing my freddy living dead doll in the morning. :clap:

• Like 1

Lena headey is the one guest ive met at a past event who i wish i'd had a photoshoot with! some of the pics ive seen of punters with her were AMAZING

She is super fun to have photos with! When I was waiting to collect my photo, I looked back at her and was watching other people get their photos with her and she put these two young girls into headlocks and in others she would make funny faces. She seemed to be having a lot of fun which is always nice to see ^_^

I loved the one I had with her, I posed normally with her and she did the "bunny ears" thing behind me, had a laugh when I collected it, lol

• Like 1

I think when a guest loosens up like Lena and Robert do it gives a whole different feel to the photoshoot. If a guest is stiff and doesn't interact it can almost feel like having a picture with a prop. 2 of my favourites were Peter Dinklage who had so much fun with his shoots and Sarah Wayne Callies who gave me a massive hug for mine. My wife said it looks like an official engagement photo!

Like others have said let them make first contact, everyone is different.

Most of the females I've met put there arm around my waist .Carrie fisher was pretty much hugging me in my photoshoot, but then when I met Nichelle Nichol it was a hand shake and we both did the vulcan salute for the photo, but weren't touching each other. I've seen some female guests who will happily allow you to give them a piggy back.

wouldn't want to offend old sigorney weaver when I meet haha.

To start, don't call her 'old' Sigourney Weaver, haha.

Totally agree - I mean have you seen what she's done with Xenomorphs ever since one of them upset her cat?

yeah... watch out... there sometime Celebs who don't like to shake hands like Brent Spiner, Bill Mumy, Patrick Stewart... but others are damn cool and give hugs. Scott Bakula is VERY fan friendly and honored when fans likes his work - so he does shakes hands.

I just don't understand why if you don't want a shake people's hands why would you do an event like this in the first place?

Obviously respect there wishes but if your playing hard earned money to meet a person the least they could do is shake your hand?

• Like 1

• Moderators

When all said and done its that persons personal preference, Michael Dorn told someone in front of me once that he wasn't being rude but he doesn't shake hands at these things, didn't explain why but we all respected his wishes.

Gates McFadden explained to me last year (?) that she doesn't shake hands unless she has anti-bacterial gel, because she'd caught bugs off people before. I assume the all the Trek people have experienced this at some point!

I'm not entirely sure I'd want to shake that many hands in one day, bugs or no bugs!

I just put out my hand when Ive gotten the Auto or Photo. And offc perhaps a nice chat.

95% om all Ive seen shake back. Just dont squeeze it :) just a loose handshake. Dont think of them as men or women. Think of them as people :) If they shake it they Will. If they dont they wont :)

Gates McFadden explained to me last year (?) that she doesn't shake hands unless she has anti-bacterial gel, because she'd caught bugs off people before. I assume the all the Trek people have experienced this at some point!

I'm not entirely sure I'd want to shake that many hands in one day, bugs or no bugs!

I put my arm arround her during The photoshoot. She moved away from me and politely explained that 'I dont think my husband would like that' them She said that I can have my hand on her shoulder . But she Wasnt offended She Told me.

Again she out of 100 female guests is the Only guesyt that has said Something about it.

Edited by Goosemaster

I can appreciate the no hand shakes thing, convention lurgy is always a possibility.

From my point of view I just try and approach in the most casual manner and let the female guest take the lead if they want to put arms around in shoots and stuff.

Plus I make sure I have refreshed my deodorant (lets be honest it gets pretty fruity at anything like this) before I go into a shoot.

• Like 1

As others have said just have a look at what people in front of you are doing. Some guests are happy to get close with attendees some are not.

Last year Terry Farrell was very hands on with everyone. She hugged almost everyone and was getting very close! It was her decision to give out hugs.

Just have a look at some of her photos from last year.

http://showmasters.photoshelter.com/gallery/Terry-Farrell-gallery/G00002FuStpssJg8/C0000534LRahESKg

• Like 3

As others have said just have a look at what people in front of you are doing. Some guests are happy to get close with attendees some are not.

Last year Terry Farrell was very hands on with everyone. She hugged almost everyone and was getting very close! It was her decision to give out hugs.

http://showmasters.photoshelter.com/gallery/Terry-Farrell-gallery/G00002FuStpssJg8/C0000534LRahESKg

And on the flip side,check out this gallery:

http://showmasters.photoshelter.com/gallery/Carole-Ann-Ford/G0000ORUd7HsS6JI/C0000vXegy727CYo

:mellow:

• Like 4

• Moderators

Sorry but you'd never get one, at the end of the day what you are paying for is an autograph or a photograph, there is nothing that says a guest has to have any contact with you, as previously mentioned this is completely down to them, generally in my experience of doing these things for a number of years most guests will shake hand or put their arms around you etc but in cases where they don't I think that should be respected.

Edited by StuartG2198
  • Like 5

She seems very nice and a great person to meet from those photos.

• Like 2

I've not heard the Robert story either, But Robert is one of the best guests to always meet, He plays around a lot, you will have lots of fun with him a true Gent.

Yes, Star Trek Bridge Crew member there was a about two foot gap between me and him wasn't my number one shot

Eric photos were good he stands behind you and leans over your shoulder, quite a good photo but does make you feel this aint right... A good way of seeing how the stars feel..... :smile:

I am looking forward to meeting Robert I will be in my Versus Jason Voorhees costume with the scratched mask and was hoping in the photo he could do the glove across the face fight scene (penny for your thoughts chief, Jason's dream in the boiler room) and it would look like he just scratched it during the photo.

• Like 1