Meeting Female Guests

hi all :-)

As you know I'm new to this years comicon and I have never really done anything like this before I am looking for some advice as I'm meeting several female guests next weekend.

Obviously with a guy it's pretty straight forward hand shake etc but having a lot of female photo shoots what is the norm? What do people do? I am always more respectful to females touching them etc lol it's easier with a guy hand shakes etc.. you can be on more safe ground guy on guy rather than guy on female so just wanted some advice wouldn't want to offend old sigorney weaver when I meet haha.

Thanks for the advise guys and gals

Edited by Baggieboi

As the above, I normally walk on the shoot, Say Hello how you doing, I put my hand out for them to shake, Male or Female... Not every one shakes... Sometimes you see some guests not touching anyone, but when your polite they sometimes shake your hand... Tricky question to answer it really depends on the person at the time... :smile: If that person wants no contact at all, the crew will tell you at the time of queuing..

some guests in the past have said no touching like Hayden Panettiere and after awhile Ariana Richards(when some people got a little too close and friendly), normally someone comes along the queue and says 'don't do it' so you know where you stand on the issue.

Edited by loveamyadams

If you have the time look at the 'post your photos' thread from previous shows for examples. Of course every guest is different, I seem to remember a male Star Trek guest (not mentioning names) who had a foot gap between himself & the punters. Each to their own.

in all seriousness though, just be yourself. a lot of how the interaction goes depends on the guest themselves, so i wouldnt worry too much. there are a few people who dont like to be touched, so dont intrude on their personal space. most guests (that ive met) are more than happy to have a photo and most of them have either put an arm over my shoulder (if they're a guy) or round my back (if they're a girl)

keep an eye on how those in front of you interact with the person you're meeting and work from that. if theres very little contact then dont try and go for a hug. if there is then go wild (within reason)

the way i look at it is dont treat them as a "guest." treat them as a person and you'll be ok :)

Edited by josh-hammond

In the past when I have met any guest I have always asked if it's okay if I can shake their hand, I usually did this at the auto table tho and only with the guests who where not super busy and everyone was alright with it (With some guests they even gave me hugs!!! :D ) In the photoshoot area I usually stay safe and just put an arm around them. Oh how I wish I asked Finn Jones and Gethin Anthony to kiss my cheeks as they did this with a lot of people in front of me (Even to guys!). Lena Headey happily caught me off guard last year when she just started dancing with me before our photo :dance:

• Like 1

If your meeting the female for a photo session they'll have probably done several anyway so your just one more in the long queue.

I normally smile, stretch the hand out shake, ask them if there having a great weekend. Then I ask if its alright to put my arm around them, and that's fine. You will get some females for example like Katy Manning who is a top rank hugger so if your attending the event in winter is great at a quick warm up because your both shivering.

The only time I remember someone not being keen on it was Eric Roberts who very much did his own pose and the picture hangs up along with all the others in our family home lobby and I always tell people in front of the wife, "That's Eric, my secret gay lover", because of the pose he came up with!

Relax, enjoy the experience and practice your best smile because you don't always get second chances.

• Like 1

Lena headey is the one guest ive met at a past event who i wish i'd had a photoshoot with! some of the pics ive seen of punters with her were AMAZING

She is super fun to have photos with! When I was waiting to collect my photo, I looked back at her and was watching other people get their photos with her and she put these two young girls into headlocks and in others she would make funny faces. She seemed to be having a lot of fun which is always nice to see ^_^

• Like 1

yep. the best guests are always the ones who seem like they WANT to be at the event and arent just doing it for a quick quid.

(George A Romero was the same when i met him.) i really wasnt expecting him to be as upbeat and excited and genuinely happy to meet fans as he was!

• Like 1

As most have said, let the guest lead and don't do anything to make them uncomfortable, I think most people on here know the Robert Englund story or the Helen Slater one from a few years back. I've been doing cons for over 20 years and over the years I've only met a few guests who didn't want any contact whatsoever, most of these gave a logical or honest reason for not doing so. Even a certain captain of a well known starship shook hands at the old MK shopping centre on the Sunday before he left for his ride home, which was a complete surprise as he made the first move.

Let's be honest. Some of the people going aren't the most hygienic or are generally rather odd, just think how many of them you'd be happy to touch and then multiply that by a few hundred over a weekend. Not only that but as everyone pretty much shakes hands with the hand they sign with, they are all at risk of repetitive strain if they sign and shake for everybody.

yep. the best guests are always the ones who seem like they WANT to be at the event and arent just doing it for a quick quid.

(George A Romero was the same when i met him.) i really wasnt expecting him to be as upbeat and excited and genuinely happy to meet fans as he was!

George A Romero was the nicest person I meet last year !
  • Like 1

As most have said, let the guest lead and don't do anything to make them uncomfortable, I think most people on here know the Robert Englund story or the Helen Slater one from a few years back. I've been doing cons for over 20 years and over the years I've only met a few guests who didn't want any contact whatsoever, most of these gave a logical or honest reason for not doing so. Even a certain captain of a well known starship shook hands at the old MK shopping centre on the Sunday before he left for his ride home, which was a complete surprise as he made the first move.

Let's be honest. Some of the people going aren't the most hygienic or are generally rather odd, just think how many of them you'd be happy to touch and then multiply that by a few hundred over a weekend. Not only that but as everyone pretty much shakes hands with the hand they sign with, they are all at risk of repetitive strain if they sign and shake for everybody.

Hello what is the Robert Englund story as I am meeting him and hope he is a nice guy is he not good with fans?

I've not heard the Robert story either, But Robert is one of the best guests to always meet, He plays around a lot, you will have lots of fun with him a true Gent.

Yes, Star Trek Bridge Crew member there was a about two foot gap between me and him wasn't my number one shot

Eric photos were good he stands behind you and leans over your shoulder, quite a good photo but does make you feel this aint right... A good way of seeing how the stars feel..... :smile:

• Like 2

Personally, I never initiate contact with any guest, because not everyone is happy with shaking hands or hugging etc. if the guest extends their hand for a handshake, I'll take it, if they go for a hug, go for it. Some guests will go for a fist bump.

Everyone's different and I'm not comfortable going in all guns blazing.