Virtual Queue Tickets

I've always wondered why the current system couldnt be replaced by one whereby...

You enter the venue and are handed a number

That is your number (for all queues)

Popular guests start off in the 1-100 range

medium start at maybe 1-200

less popular 1-500

(slightly arbitrary numbers but you get the idea, ranges can go up/down depending on queue lengths)

This helps with

a) the insane number of people (and volunteers) who seem to have come to a show without any idea how the queue system works

b)the entrance race and panic to find the people holding tickets (I suspect someone is going to take a fall on Saturday this year)

Thoughts?

Variant on this would be to start handing out VQ tickets to people while they're queuing - a handful of volunteers just work their way down the line outside maybe an hour or 2 before opening

Edited by rjw499

I would hate to be number 5,798. No chance of ever getting an autograph.

it doesnt really impact your chances as your effective place in the queue is the same as if you sprinted down the hall and got a VQ for a particular guest

I'm not sure why the crazy factor will be any worse outside than inside - just involves less running/power walking

still, thanks for the response

because then we'll have people queueing up at ridiculous times to get close to the front, and a large number of them.

• Like 1

it doesnt really impact your chances as your effective place in the queue is the same as if you sprinted down the hall and got a VQ for a particular guest

But if you go down the hall you're still not getting all VQ tickets at once. You may have Sigourney as priority, so let's say you get ticket 1 for her. By the time you have reached Bill Paxton you're number 100. Then 99 others who prioritized Bill are in front of you and their chances of getting an autograph are higher.

• Like 2

I'm not sure why the crazy factor will be any worse outside than inside - just involves less running/power walking

because then we'll have people queueing up at ridiculous times to get close to the front, and a large number of them.

I'm ok with any system that rewards people dedicated enough to camp out

But if you go down the hall you're still not getting all VQ tickets at once. You may have Sigourney as priority, so let's say you get ticket 1 for her. By the time you have reached Bill Paxton you're number 100. Then 99 others who prioritized Bill are in front of you and their chances of getting an autograph are higher.

Guess that's what I see as one of the issues with the current system but I can see the argument both ways

I'm ok with any system that rewards people dedicated enough to camp out

I'm pretty sure the vast majority of attendees won't agree with you there.

• Like 1

Yeah, guess it's hard to see things from the casuals' POV (tho I suspect one of the other reasons this system isnt used is to sell gold passes)

Anyway, thanks for not hitting me with the "this has already been discussed so I'm locking the thread" hammer - good to debate the merits of the differing systems

Yeah with the event getting into the high 10s of thousands of attendees now, if you arn't in the first 1000 that get in you won't be getting an auto form anyone with a VQ.

Even if you turn up late at the moment (I wandered in at about 10:30 last year) you won't get a stupidly high number like that for a guest, even the busy ones.

There is pretty much nothing wrong with the current system. It SEEMS confusing to new people, but once you do it it becomes second nature.

• Like 3

Yeah with the event getting into the high 10s of thousands of attendees now, if you arn't in the first 1000 that get in you won't be getting an auto form anyone with a VQ.

Even if you turn up late at the moment (I wandered in at about 10:30 last year) you won't get a stupidly high number like that for a guest, even the busy ones.

There is pretty much nothing wrong with the current system. It SEEMS confusing to new people, but once you do it it becomes second nature.

Sorry, it's probably just me being daft but I'm a little confused about your post.

At first I was disappointed, as from what I read there I understood that if I'm not in the first 1000 people to turn up then I won't manage to get an autograph from the guests (especially more popular ones) that I want?

But then you mentioned even if I turn up late I won't get a stupidly high VQ number for even the busy guests?

I'm not a Gold Pass holder so I'll be arriving at a decent time in the morning. But was just wondering as I'd be disappointed to make an effort to arrive early in the morning, find that masses of people have been there since silly o'clock, and so I don't manage to gather any autos anyway.

It's late and there's every chance I've just misunderstood this. :P

I was talking about the original poster's idea. If they gave VQ tickets out that counted for all guests as you walked in, then only the first 1000/1500 max people would be able to get any autos. Which is why it's a terrible idea.

Luckily the system isn't like that, and they barely get above 1000 in the VQ numbers per guest, so you can turn up pretty late and still get a chance to see who you want (but with busier guests obviously it'll be harder)

• Like 1

The system is perfect!

At DST3 you had to queue to buy an autograph token at a particular value, then queue to buy a 8x10 photo, and then queue for the guest who may not turn up for hours. You also couldn't leave cause you may lose your place in the queue!

The VQ ticket system is great as you can get your ticket and enjoy your day and come back later when your number comes up. Simples :)

• Like 4

VQ ticket is made to don't do hours and hours of waiting in a queue !

You can walk in the venue and come back when it's allost your turn (you make a small line, but not for hours !)

With VQ ticket system, you can hope meet more than 1 or 2 guest, because you don't have to make (physically) queue for hours.

BUT indeed, if you're not early before the opening, you will receive an high number... But where in the life is not that way ? First arrived, first served.

==> VQ ticket works

OMG please, don't even consider changing the system... I personally think it works really well.

I recently went to a different Comicon and I had to queue for 3 hours to pay for a "smilie face" (which you can understand I was not smiling by that time) then I had to go across to the autograph area and change my smilie face for an autograph ticket again waiting in a queue for 1hr to do that. The I had to go and get a fund because the guest had to leave early (another 1hr)... So 5 hrs of my time waste queueing.... Showmasters have it spot on... If you want to be guaranteed an autograph, get there early or pre-order....Simple...

I was talking about the original poster's idea. If they gave VQ tickets out that counted for all guests as you walked in, then only the first 1000/1500 max people would be able to get any autos. Which is why it's a terrible idea.

Luckily the system isn't like that, and they barely get above 1000 in the VQ numbers per guest, so you can turn up pretty late and still get a chance to see who you want (but with busier guests obviously it'll be harder)

Oh, I see. Thank you! From what I've heard about this system (first time con goer here) it seems to work pretty well and most people are happy with it. Seems pretty efficient too, but guess I'll find out for myself in only a week! :dance:

I think the system works really well - I have yet to miss anyone I've wanted to meet.

Please don't ever change it.

Just maybe enforce it harder - last year people were queuing up outside of Summer Glau line - it was a bit of a mess - I just kept coming back until my number appeared and was let in straight away.

• Like 1

I've always wondered why the current system couldnt be replaced by one whereby...

You enter the venue and are handed a number

That is your number (for all queues)

Popular guests start off in the 1-100 range

medium start at maybe 1-200

less popular 1-500

(slightly arbitrary numbers but you get the idea, ranges can go up/down depending on queue lengths)

This helps with

a) the insane number of people (and volunteers) who seem to have come to a show without any idea how the queue system works

b)the entrance race and panic to find the people holding tickets (I suspect someone is going to take a fall on Saturday this year)

Thoughts?

Variant on this would be to start handing out VQ tickets to people while they're queuing - a handful of volunteers just work their way down the line outside maybe an hour or 2 before opening

I don't think that would work. For example, what if all the people who wanted to see Michael Gambon, for example, happened to be right at the back of the line and ended up getting tickets 1500-2000 or something stupidly high. They'd all have to wait around while no one was entering his queue, lol! The queue numbers would still have to go up in 50s or whatever they go in because no one could say for sure that a lower number didn't want him. It'd be madness.

• Like 1

The VQ ticket system works extremely well.

I'm fairly sure, no one is planning on getting autos from every single guest at the event, so it allows you to focus on who you are interested in getting an autograph from, so if you feel your highest priority is Sigourney Weaver, head for her queue area straight away and get a virtual queue ticket, then to your next priority and on and on. Then you can go and enjoy the rest of the show, imagine, if it was just a queue for Sigourney Weaver, say 1500 people maybe more just in a queue for hours and hours, so you couldn't get any other autos, you couldn't go to any talks or photoshoots and you couldn't even have a look around the event and the stalls. This is how some events still do it, it basically should just be advertised as spend a day in a queue as you don't really get to see much of the event.

I think the one ticket per person is a fair way as well, it stops people picking up loads of batches of VQ tickets for friends and family later in the day and I guess rewards those that have made the effort to get there first thing.

Edited by GoldenGreen
  • Like 1

I have to agree I think the VQ system works really well, for me I am only wanting two autographs - they are both from the same series so presume they will be sat alongside each other which will make it easier ( also got photo shoot tickets with them), I aim to be at Venue for 8am so all should be ok