Definitely worth a read

I think it's disgusting. People come to these conventions to enjoy themselves and have fun. I am very much looking forward to seeing what people come up with this year and I'm planning on taking some pictures but only if they're okay with it. It's important to ask and make sure that they are comfortable with you taking pictures of them. Most will be okay with it. I really hope people behave themselves next week.

• Like 1

As this is my first ever con, I can't wait to be immersed in the Cosplay world and see what people do, men and women alike.

We're not stupid, so why people need to act stupid is beyond me. I for one can't wait to be wowed. :)

• Like 1

Wow, Who would of thought it? I can only say, Only in America. Well next time someone comes up to stroke me I'm gonna watch where they put their hands. :smile:

The article has both English and Australian cosplayers feeding into it about their experiences, so I don't think we can say "Only in 'Murica" on this one Spacecadet. I am, however, curious to see whether cosplayers on the forum have had similar experiences?

It may be that some have, but either haven't said anything, or have mentioned it but nothing has been done etc... I think it behoves us as a community to keep each other safe and make sure we all enjoy the con experience.

But yes, do be careful about wandering hands. You can never be sure who will want to touch your hump :whistling:

• Like 2

Blimey this disgraceful especially where the cosplayers are there to have fun themselves I usually take pics of them cos they look awesome and have always wanted to know how long there costumes take to make why do certain people always have to ruin it for others I think there should be proper security inside to protect the cos players and the famous guests too

It is truly beyond my understanding why someone would think it's OK to harass someone wearing a costume for cosplay. It is obvious that the cosplayer is wearing the costume in order to be like the character they are cosplaying as, not because they want sexual comments. Why some people don't seem to understand that is beyond me.

• Like 1

Touching and harassment is never okay, ever, but the 'Look at me/don't look at me' attitude of a certain type of cosplayer annoys me. I don't believe for one second that 10,000 Cosplayers were sexually assaulted at any con but I'm sure it has happened. I've seen some very young girls wearing costumes that should have refused them entry in my opinion. I don't like the scantily clad costumes, lets not beat around the bush on this one, we know what it is all about and somethings should remain in the comics (that a lot of them don't even read) or the bedroom. By all means dress up, just don't turn up nearly naked as you're going to get trouble - i'm not saying that makes it justified, it's sadly just the world we live in. I'd worry about them more on their journey home anyway. And please stand somewhere other than the walkways and exits!

• Like 3

Bodies are a thing of beauty, all shapes and sizes, and seeing them used for Cosplay is creative genius if you ask me and yes some are very pretty / handsome on the eye but you just look at their character and they mirror them perfectly. It's testament to how good they are for being so accurate and also knowing how to have fun and embrace a passion.

Why is turns into something as nightmarish in that article, in a community that should be nothing BUT supportive, understanding and encouraging for this is a real shame and hard to read.

Fingers crossed all LFCC Cosplayers, new and old, stay safe and have a blast!

• Like 1

That's no excuse to get harrased no matter what they wear

If this is aimed at me... I agree and say as much in my post. However, it is the world we live in I'm sad to say, better to be safe and wear a costume that covers all the naughty bits, surely that's more creative anyway!?

• Like 1

I've been to many cons and never seen anyone with their "naughty bits" on display. You see more flesh on a beach and this sort of behavior there would get you into all sorts of trouble! There is never any excuse for behavior like that, and I don't want to sound aggressive or anything, but attitudes such as "its not good but its the world we live in, maybe you should cover up instead" do not help resolve the problem. It is never ok - ever!

• Like 2

Nope, never ever acceptable and the cosplayers (whatever gender or costume) are NEVER to blame. Not even 0.000001% is on them.

As long as your costume is legal in it's amount of exposure, you can dress however you like. It is TOTALLY on the people around you to not touch/harass/be creepy. If you can't control yourself, that is your problem not the cosplayer's. Doesn't matter what they are wearing. YOU are the problem not them.

• Like 1

I disagree with Geekchic, I think it's OK for a cosplayer to wear a very revealing costume if that is what the character wears and people at the Con should be expected to be understanding of it. As Miss Magrat, said, you see more flesh on the beach and people are expected to control themselves (and their hands) there. I do agree, however, that if your costume is very revealing you should probably wear something to cover it while on the way to the Con, because the people on the tube/bus will not understand and you could get a lot of unwanted attention.

• Like 2

I'd say that's true for non-revealing costumes too. As a guy I've not worn anything skimpy (yet) for a costume and even I've had comments/looks on public transport.

But within a con? You should be able to feel 100% comfortable being yourself and doing what you love. That's the whole point of cons! For us like-minded people to feel at home.

• Like 3

If this is aimed at me... I agree and say as much in my post. However, it is the world we live in I'm sad to say, better to be safe and wear a costume that covers all the naughty bits, surely that's more creative anyway!?
its not aimed at u mate I'm just saying there hands should get chopped off lol

its not aimed at u mate I'm just saying there hands should get chopped off lol

Absolutely

Are the people that behave inappropriately people that would do this anyway wherever they are , or is something else going on here ?

I don't have an answer so interested in peoples thoughts really, but I don't see the beach as being a comparable example.

There is something about the nature of Cosplay, in that it is something created, something not real, something not of the normal world and I wonder whether some people are incapable or don't realise behind every costume there is just a real person. A bit like somehow people put celebrities on a pedestal and treat them like some sort of god or goddess like being and forget that actually they are just a real person like the rest of us and can be hurt or offended.

Perhaps I'm thinking about it too deeply, either way it certainly doesn't excuse the bad behaviour and that's why I am intrigued to know whether the people perpetrating the inappropriate behaviour are people that would also be behaving in an appropriate way in a night club for example.

• Like 1

I disagree with Geekchic, I think it's OK for a cosplayer to wear a very revealing costume if that is what the character wears and people at the Con should be expected to be understanding of it. As Miss Magrat, said, you see more flesh on the beach and people are expected to control themselves (and their hands) there. I do agree, however, that if your costume is very revealing you should probably wear something to cover it while on the way to the Con, because the people on the tube/bus will not understand and you could get a lot of unwanted attention.

Revealing costumes will attract lots of attention, good and bad but it's totally naive to dismiss the fact that these characters they dress as were created to titillate comic readers. It's not just simply a matter of dressing like a character you like from comics. There is a huge different between the beach and at a con or in city/workplace etc. I'm no prude either, but I have seen some shockingly revealing outfits worn by girls who can't be much older than 16. I will state again for the record, of course it doesn't make it right, you should be able to wear what ever you want and not worry about been assaulted, there are no excuses but some people, who I believe are in a minority, have/do/and there are some who always will, do what they shouldn't. I'm not a high-court judge either, again for the record, it isn't right, ever, but it does happen. Don't put yourself in that position and don't complain that people are looking at your breasts when you're dressed as Power Girl (I have seen this happen). I'm taking about a very low percentage of cosplayers by the way, the 'look at me, I'm shy' type.

Nope, still doesn't excuse it. No matter how many caveats you put in your posts, it still sounds too much like "if you wear x, you're going to get y".

It should only be "If you wear x, PEOPLE SHOULD LEARN TO CONTROL THEMSELVES". Hands, eyes, words. All of it. Learn to be a respectful human around people, no matter their current state of dress. To use your example, just because someone is dressed as the classic Power Girl, doesn't mean they need to accept cleavage stares or comments or anything. People can learn to not stare and look. There's a whole person and costume to look at.

End of.

Edited by BeatrixKiddo88
  • Like 2