Question about selfie stick

Disney has banned selfie sticks in all their parks in the US. Soon to happen in Paris I believe. Europa park in Germany will soon be banning them as well. All for the same reason, because idiots think its a good idea to get them out on rides.

I can't stand them. Why does every photo that people take need their head stuffed in it? Take pictures of places and things without your head covering 90% of the photo. I was recently in Krakow and saw a lot of them. People taking photos in front of amazing buildings and I doubt you could see anything of the building.

There are only so many pictures of your duck face pouting selfies that people want to see.

The duck pout is more annoying than the selfies sticks haha. With are deathly annoying. Why people can't smile I don't know.

• Like 1

There's nothing wrong with wanting to be in your pictures.

Indeed not but right time and place. Inside a crowded convention hall is neither of those. not a place to be waving a stick around, bad enough just avoiding bags, poster tubes and people generally.

• Like 1

The Mummy 3D is an awesome ride, and but a calm one, no loopings etc at all, I would understand if you close your eyes on the Rock'n'Roll Coaster or the Hulk coaster , I would even not go on them, hate Loopings. But the Mummy is awesome great effects, but a really calm ride guys ;)

Really? Maybe I'm thinking of a different ride but at Orlando it's a wee bit scary

That's the one I mean, you have one in California too, but that one is shorter and yeah well kinda boring :P

But hey that's just my opinion, I probably find also things scary, where people will think whaat scary??

Edited by timlux

Indeed not but right time and place. Inside a crowded convention hall is neither of those. not a place to be waving a stick around, bad enough just avoiding bags, poster tubes and people generally.

I know that :) said it myself earlier. Just people ragging on others for wanting to be in their scenic pics. I personally find more memories in pics of places with me or my friends/family in them, than just the place itself.

• Like 1

I know that :) said it myself earlier. Just people ragging on others for wanting to be in their scenic pics. I personally find more memories in pics of places with me or my friends/family in them, than just the place itself.

That's fine. No probs people wanting to be in pics, something I miss when going away alone. I just hope there's some consideration in this case.

• Like 1

Personally I don't understand all this irrational hostility towards selfie sticks, simple solution - quit complaining and don't use or buy one and leave those of us who have used them or indeed like taking our own pictures

* I've already explained elsewhere that I always prefer to take my own pictures because I know ill get a far better and satisfactory result hence why I avoid photoshoots like the plague

My arms are long enough to get four people into one pic - in the past I've used selfie sticks and they are loads of fun to use and it seems to be a growing epidemic - again in this day and age when something someone enjoys is ridiculed. I always make sure when I take a pic that I'm not endangering others.

As long as you're safety conscious and take other people into consideration then fhwres no problem.

#TeamSelfieStick

• Like 3

I really don't think this is the right avenue for selfie sticks - it's going to be really busy and the chances are you're going to hit someone and annoy some other people whilst the wait for you to take the photo.

I always ask, if photos are allowed, if someone would take a picture for me. Don't be afraid - us geek people are really nice.

• Like 1

Personally I don't understand all this irrational hostility towards selfie sticks, simple solution - quit complaining and don't use or buy one and leave those of us who have used them or indeed like taking our own pictures

* I've already explained elsewhere that I always prefer to take my own pictures because I know ill get a far better and satisfactory result hence why I avoid photoshoots like the plague

My arms are long enough to get four people into one pic - in the past I've used selfie sticks and they are loads of fun to use and it seems to be a growing epidemic - again in this day and age when something someone enjoys is ridiculed. I always make sure when I take a pic that I'm not endangering others.

As long as you're safety conscious and take other people into consideration then fhwres no problem.

#TeamSelfieStick

Unfortunately, some people aren't. It's life.

At the end of the day, I think Showmasters should have a clear policy on this. Otherwise, accidents may happen.

#TeamSelfieStick

Unfortunately, some people aren't. It's life.

At the end of the day, I think Showmasters should have a clear policy on this. Otherwise, accidents may happen.

Unfortunately, we live in a world where not all people will play by the rules. I remember one guy trying to take a photo of Summer Glau and there was a sign clearly stating 'No photos' and the crew were saying "No" but he just kept on and took a photo anyway. Some people won't listen!

I don't understand the hate towards the 'selfie stick'. I don't have one and haven't used one, but I've been I a couple of pictures where one has been used. They're a great tool for a big group picture, or to capture more scenery in your picture than you would have from using at arms length.

Maybe it's the term 'selfie stick' which gets under people's skin? Remember when we could get a disposable camera from Boots, you'd turn the camera around and take a photo of yourself and someone? That wasn't calld a selfie back then, and people did it, now we all hate each other for doing it but do it ourselves!

Anyway, I can't imagine that people using the sticks at LFCC will end up hitting everyone as seems to be the point coming across here, they won't be used as makeshift lightsabers, simply by people wanting to capture memories. Leave them be.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Speaking as someone who HAS actually been smacked in the face in a crowded situation by someone being careless with a selfie stick, I can only reiterate what has come before. They're not banned, but if you do decide to bring one, PLEASE BE CAREFUL AND WATCH YOUR SURROUNDINGS.

I don't understand the hate towards the 'selfie stick'. I don't have one and haven't used one, but I've been I a couple of pictures where one has been used. They're a great tool for a big group picture, or to capture more scenery in your picture than you would have from using at arms length.

Maybe it's the term 'selfie stick' which gets under people's skin? Remember when we could get a disposable camera from Boots, you'd turn the camera around and take a photo of yourself and someone? That wasn't calld a selfie back then, and people did it, now we all hate each other for doing it but do it ourselves!

Anyway, I can't imagine that people using the sticks at LFCC will end up hitting everyone as seems to be the point coming across here, they won't be used as makeshift lightsabers, simply by people wanting to capture memories. Leave them be.

No, it's because the majority of users of selfie sticks unfortunately seems to be incapable of minding their surroundings - see my example with the rollercoaster or others experiences of being smacked in the head. Nothing like an array full of selfie sticks with cameras being used to video an event you shouldn't be recording in the first place being stuck up in front of you either.

So basically it's not the tool being used, it's the user. And if the human part fails unfortunately in some cases the only solution seems to take away the toy.

• Like 1

It will be interesting to see if the talks are plagued with people holding their selfie sticks in the air to constantly take photos getting in the way of everyone else behind.

I am sure that is one of the reasons they have been banned in Disney is that they ruin other guests enjoyment of the park.

It will be interesting to see if the talks are plagued with people holding their selfie sticks in the air to constantly take photos getting in the way of everyone else behind.

I am sure that is one of the reasons they have been banned in Disney is that they ruin other guests enjoyment of the park.

Yes. We experienced the parade coming a few meters close to an emergency stop because someone stuck a selfie stick in the parade route and wouldn't take it away.

• Like 1

In my opinion, the only 'tool' is the person using it.....

:whistling:

• Like 4

The trouble with these ridiculous things are the idiots using them...people just stop dead and 'pose' without any awareness of people around them. So, people just end up clattering into people because who expects someone to stop dead in front of them, right? if someone us stupid enough to wave their phone on the end of a metal stick, they should be aware of it potentially getting smashed when people brush it away, so not to lose an eye..

• Like 1

Disney has banned selfie sticks in all their parks in the US. Soon to happen in Paris I believe. Europa park in Germany will soon be banning them as well. All for the same reason, because idiots think its a good idea to get them out on rides.

I can't stand them. Why does every photo that people take need their head stuffed in it? Take pictures of places and things without your head covering 90% of the photo. I was recently in Krakow and saw a lot of them. People taking photos in front of amazing buildings and I doubt you could see anything of the building.

There are only so many pictures of your duck face pouting selfies that people want to see.

I disagree, the reason I have a selfie stick is to take on my honeymoon to Rome so that we can get ourselves and the amazing sights into our photographs without 90% of the photo being our faces, a problem with just using your arm. And the reason I want to 'stuff our heads in' is because there are thousands of photos of the sights in Rome, I want photos of my new husband and myself enjoying our time together whilst at said sights. I think the best use of a selfie stick is taking photos in front of buildings etc as you can get a lot more background in.

As many of the replies on here state, it isn't the selfie sticks you should be hating on, but people misusing them.

• Like 1

I haven't used a selfie stick myself but I can definitely see the benefits of them - As 'bex' has said above, a holiday in Rome or something like that would be perfect, I could see myself using one when out and about to get nice shots... Me acting stupid by Niagra Falls, me acting stupid on the Empire State building, me acting stupid (insert random place name here...)

CKBvtg-WsAAqmgu.jpg Might be good if the hall was like this... but it won't be...

Now imagine this hall rammed with people... People looking at stalls; people cosplaying; people looking at the cosplayers; people trying to get somewhere or people just standing around chatting... Now imagine trying to get good use out of a selfie stick when everyone and their stroller is trying to get past you...

dsc_2437.jpg not the best idea I would think...

Edited by Zahariel