Real fans thoughts on this its a new problem that we have to solve

Jason, we use EventBrite at work regularly and it's actually very simple to re-issue tickets that are cancelled or refunded.

If you enable refunds, people can log into EventBrite, request a refund of their ticket, this is actioned by someone from SM (by 'actioned' I mean they literally just have to click a requested refund to approve it), they get a refund, the number of tickets available goes up by one and that eticket is immediately available for purchase by someone else.

I think you have created a problem here by not letting people get a refund on unwanted entry tickets, which creates a legitimate second market for unwanted tickets, which then inevitably turns into a tout market once they realise the value.

However, if you were to use EventBrite's extremely simple refund and reissue process, this could be avoided. I'm not saying allow refunds for everything, as yes each refund still needs to be actioned by someone and this might be too onerous to apply to all tickets, but certainly for entry tickets a refund process makes sense, and good business sense too - unwanted tickets would result in less attendees, but tickets reissued to people who can attend gets more people in the door and spending inside.

This process would not cause you guys much hassle with finance either, as I know that EventBrite hold onto all funds until one business week after the event - specifically to allow for refunds to be factored in and an easier transfer transaction. You also don't get charged service fees for refunded transactions.

To be honest, I thought this was one of the main reasons behind a switch to e-tickets. We switched to this method for ease of reporting participation and for people to be able to register or cancel our events through the system which has made our lives easier by presenting us with up to date, realistic attendance numbers.

That's my experienced two-cents anyway - genuinely happy to give anyone from SM advice if wanted

Edited by darthnad
  • Like 16

At least you're looking to do something about it unlike other organisers!!!

It's a tough one because people buy tickets then can't always go so the only thing they can do is give the tickets away or I guess sell them

Maybe there is a limit already but 4 per customer or something? or order? It makes it awkward for big groups but could cut down the number of tickets bought?

Spot checks is a good idea but if tickets have been bought as gifts potentially the people turning up won't have ID relating to the booker?

E tickets can be sent to a 1000 people so buying one of these is extremely risky, maybe its better having proper tickets or wristbands or something rather than having some hard tickets early on then e tickets after X amount have been sold, this is likely more costly (well it is I know haha)

Buying back tickets is a good idea so in theory the only tickets for sale on ebay would be touts looking to cash in.....

Also loads of people (me included) have missed out on tickets so if people 'sell them back' then we have an option of getting lucky last minute

It might be worth having a counter on the page showing how many tickets are left?

This might spur people (me definitely included) to buy their tickets much sooner when they start to dwindle down :)

(Sorry long post!!)

• Like 1

What may be a little solution for people dont be screwed by fake tickets, is to put the max bid on ebay to be sure they didnt sell the tickets to anyone else and never pay ... The time the auction ends , and the time for them to cancel , it would be to late for them...and by the way , red feedback...

not a good idea. if you bid you are legally obligated to pay.

Important things to consider for future events:

- Buying tickets for other people (either as part of a group order or just as a gift) - there needs to be a way to add the attending person's name to the ticket if you intend to spot check for ID. Does eventbrite allow for this?

- People in cosplay might have trouble with being checked for ID due to make-up, prostetics, wigs, etc. How would this be solved?

- International attendees - it's clunky, inconvenient and risky to bring passports as your ID considering you will periodically need to check your bag before a photoshoot, so what alternatives would you allow for in terms of identification?

• Like 2

The solution needs to work for all groups of attendees:

For example:

-I have bought tickets for family (including my two sons) and friends this year, as I am sure others will have, we are not all going all three days, so it was a mix of entry tickets , it would certainly work to put names on and then use an i.d. check though as others have suggested so that the i.d. matches the ticket name

- There are going to be people who genuinely can't attend, due to one of lifes other challenges arising and so it is a shame if this ticket goes to waste, which could be used by another attendee. I am sure people would find it very helpful to have an option where they can efficiently return the ticket and get a refund and the suggestion above about EventBrite having this option sounds like a good plan, especially if it can manage the ticket flow availability and put returns back on sale

How about following the airline root, go paperless and use passport no. As validation. so when you buy the ticket it is linked to your passport number. You then bring you passport to get in

Speaking as an international attendee, I'd be really uncomfortable if I was forced to bring my passport to an event. As mentioned above they are too clunky to carry on you, you need to check in your bag before photoshoots, and while I've never lost anything by doing that so far, it's still a risky thing to do.

Have a name registered with every ticket that requires some sort of ID (if it's a gift, have a 'this is a gift' option) and allow refunds to deter people from selling them on for triple the price. That's what bands with ridiculously huge demand do to stop ticket touts, and it works. Rage Against the Machine did it when they played London, and Royal Blood did it with their last UK tour.

Edited by TrinityKiller24

I understand why it is being suggested but I am not keen on registration or membership fees.

I have been attending SM events since C4 and LFACC since the first one, I generally only attend one day (either Sat or Sun) and often buy two tickets, one for me and one for a friend. I don't want to be stopped from doing this because of ticket touts.

The main problem at the moment is there is absolutely no option. If you buy it and then can't go, there is no option.

If there was an official swap shop or resales shop then this would give everyone options. For example - my friend is not actually very keen on going this year and then you have that poor person whose parents brought him a MJF photoshoot, but no entry ticket (feel beyond sorry for him as its something my parents would do not realising all other aspects of the show such as entry tickets etc) I would have loved to have offered him my mates ticket but I can't as its not allowed! My friend is coming with me even though she isn't too keen on coming. Which is crazy when there are people desperate to go!

If there was an official way we could do this for next year then that would be great - and it would stop any one having the ability to say 'I did it as there was no other way'. If this doesn't stop the issues then we can look at it again but for now just having SM reselling would be a great help for real fans!

• Like 1

I for one have brought a lot of tickets (entry and photo shoots) for friends and family this year which are all in my name.
Adding someone’s name might help if everyone has ID. But, for an example I got an entry ticket and photo shoot ticket for my 13 year old niece as a birthday present. If there was a system where you could add the attending person’s name, what ID would she be expected to bring? She doesn’t have a passport and obviously can’t have a driving licence.

I have people selling for profit and I do think a selling platform would be good although I do think you should only be able to sell back something that has actually sold out as otherwise sm will lose a ticket being bought. So for this the Saturday and Sunday entry as it's sold out. Mjf for example abd any other that have actually sold out.

Can SM use the email address that Ebay users are using to sell the tickets to cancel/block them?

Just seen on Ebay that one person has print screened the ticket confirmation for two Saturday entry tickets and you can see her email address that she used to purchase them? just wondering if that something you can do to crack down on touts.

I think the first step needs to be not being able to buy and photo shoot tickets without a valid entry ticket. I think they do this for Destination Star trek.

This is a good starting point because then if Showmasters want to photo tickets can be cross checked against the entry ticket to make sure no one has bought second hand tickets.

There also needs to be an ability to get a refund on a ticket. Plans do change and I think having a blanket no refunds and you can't resell them is not very customer friendly.

Making everyone bring ID is an ok idea but it would slow everything down. Unless entry tickets are going to be checked in the queue before the doors open so that once it hits 9am it just a case of getting in the building.

• Like 1

Can SM use the email address that Ebay users are using to sell the tickets to cancel/block them?

Just seen on Ebay that one person has print screened the ticket confirmation for two Saturday entry tickets and you can see her email address that she used to purchase them? just wondering if that something you can do to crack down on touts.

And you don't think people use temporary/throwaway email accounts for this kind of thing? I'm sure not all do but it'd be easy to set one up with no real name and no traceable information to sell stuff.

Unless a ticket has a fingerprint or photo on it and only that person can use it you won't stop this. I keep saying it. Many concerts I go to now require a named ticket holder with ID and sometimes even the card that's used to pay. Checks are quick when staff are well organised and it's helped to minimise the problem but not eliminated it. Only tickets linked to a specific person through photo or something can do that.

If you can email that to Queen Sindel, her email is in her profile. If the person's email is showing I think SM would be very interested in that as it's very traceable.

As i've said before you can't have it that you need to have an entry ticket to book photoshoots or talks as how would that affect the crew & dealers who may also want too take part in these activities. You would have too implement a code or something for them too input or they would be buying tickets that will not be used.

I think the first step needs to be not being able to buy and photo shoot tickets without a valid entry ticket. I think they do this for Destination Star trek.

This is a good starting point because then if Showmasters want to photo tickets can be cross checked against the entry ticket to make sure no one has bought second hand tickets.

There also needs to be an ability to get a refund on a ticket. Plans do change and I think having a blanket no refunds and you can't resell them is not very customer friendly.

Making everyone bring ID is an ok idea but it would slow everything down. Unless entry tickets are going to be checked in the queue before the doors open so that once it hits 9am it just a case of getting in the building.

Re the entry ticket thing, this was the first year with the Diamond guests so I'm sure SM have learned from all the people who have done exactly that and will seriously think about instituting it in the future. It could be argued that if people have bought tickets without entry it is entirely their fault if it then sells out but it's a lot of hassle that SM don't need trying to sort it all out and the emails they must be getting about it.

As i've said before you can't have it that you need to have an entry ticket to book photoshoots or talks as how would that affect the crew & dealers who may also want too take part in these activities. You would have too implement a code or something for them too input or they would be buying tickets that will not be used.

I hope someone can correct me if I am wrong but I did look up going to meet Jeri Ryan at DST. I believe they operate a code system so that you can't buy a photo shoot without an entry ticket which has a code linked to it. You could give the dealers & crew a code as well if they want to buy photo shoot tickets.

Its not good to hear people are selling tickets on ebay but it is good to hear you are trying to sort it out. I would not like to see london getting to the point where the true fans find it difficult to get hold of a ticket. I'd never buy my tickets from anyone other than showmaster and the only way we can stop this is for the fans to refuse to buy their tickets from ebay immediately when they have sold out. i think the sell back system would be a good idea. keep up the good work SM.

Edited by stargate geek emily
  • Like 2

I like the idea of checking ID while in the queue, stamping your hand once it has been checked. :smile:

It makes sense when you think about it :)

I don't have any photo ID other than my passport.

Edited by TerraHawk