Real fans thoughts on this its a new problem that we have to solve

Not really a surprise people are doing this is it, personally I wont pay prices for photos and autos as it is for some guests as too high!? I am in favour of a resell site run by Eventbrite / SM whereby you give back your tickets and they resell them at cost (with no extra charges from anyone including SM) to other fans if the event sells out that way the person unable to attend gets their money back and someone who missed out gets to go so a win win.

I am sure tickets for events in every genre from sport to concerts and media have been resold for years over the market value so not sure how you can stop this totally but you can cut it down if you give the fans a way to at least get their money back if a reason is genuine for not attending as many just simply cannot afford to lose money but equally not sure its very ethical to overcharge at these prices just for entry seems bizarre to me that people bid.

Edited by buffy2k

I bought my entry ticket and my girlfriends one from the old store as soon as they were released, I'm assuming they're still ok to use? I also bought my photoshoots and my girlfriends photoshoots at the same time, will she be ok to use them as my name's on the printed out tickets?

I think you need to somehow differentiate between people who bought a ticket & now can’t go, & someone buying a number of tickets solely to sell on. Last year I bought a photoshoot at double the price from a similar site to ebay along with a standard day ticket direct from Showmasters.

This year I bought a ticket for all 3 days well in advance, but knowing I’d be unlikely to want to or be able to go on all 3 days. It hadn’t dawned on me back then that it might sell out, I just wanted to make sure I could get auto’s/shoots that I wanted & accepted I'd lose out financially if I missed a day. I had a look at my tickets the other night with the thought of selling one that I don’t need, but with a list price of around £15 I decided it wasn’t worth bothering, though of course it hadn’t dawned on me then that with it selling out, that people would be that desperate & would pay well over the odds for just an entrance ticket (though bearing in mind I paid double for a shoot, I guess I should have realised!).

A few rock festivals have the buy back facility so people can go on a reserve list so maybe this is something that could be brought in next year so that people like me this year could sell back a ticket they don't require & that people like me last year could buy one without someone else profiting massively.

My tuppence worth (not that it's worth much), now that an online ticket system is being used, allow tickets to be cancelled up to a month before the event.

I see this as having two benefits-

1/ people who only attended the event to meet guests can buy an entry ticket without waiting until a guest they want to meet is announced. Most of the big names are normally announced well in advance of a month & as this show becomes more popular I can imagine more guests making themselves available sooner.

2/ it gives Showmasters a month to resell cancelled tickets. Most big events (theater, sports, etc...) have a sale of returned tickets close to the event. In fact the Rugby World Cup has had several to date.

Obviously there are downsides, and doesn't help with booking travel & accommodation, but at least fans can buy entry tickets & know they have until a month deadline to decide whether they want to attend. It also helps stopping touts/ebay by having an official resale. Would a tout gamble on buying lots of tickets knowing SM will be selling the same tickets at face value?

Anyway, just my suggestion as SM moves forward.

I've seen some of this going on on Facebook - I've seen people saying they urgently need a ticket for someone for some reason due to being let down by someone else but have seen variations on the same request across different groups, so it looks like some people are trying to acquire tickets by playing on people's good will and then, presumably, selling them on.

I think it's only right that something is put in place so that those of us who are genuine fans, wanting to go to the show and enjoy it, can get the tickets and cut out those who are seeking to buy up tickets and sell them back at ridiculous prices.

I do understand there are circumstances where someone can't go for whatever reason and think some kind of official marketplace is a great idea for selling tickets in those circumstances to genuine people.

- G

Edited by SirGeeksalot
  • Like 1

there is no way to avoid stuff like this, it's been going on w/ concert tickets for years. the only way to avoid this that i can see working is to check ID (ie, use the card you bought the ticket w/) at the door, which would slow entry.

• Like 1

Something just occurred to me...

Whilst not *everyone* has a smartphone, I wonder whether this could be accomplished via a dedicated Showmasters App? It'd have a page for each show, and show the tickets you've paid for, for each show.

Then, on the day of the show, the permissions can be removed as each ticket is used.

I know it's a bare bones idea and would need a lot more to become a reality, but there has to be something there, no?

• Like 3

Something just occurred to me...

Whilst not *everyone* has a smartphone, I wonder whether this could be accomplished via a dedicated Showmasters App? It'd have a page for each show, and show the tickets you've paid for, for each show.

Then, on the day of the show, the permissions can be removed as each ticket is used.

I know it's a bare bones idea and would need a lot more to become a reality, but there has to be something there, no?

I agree that it would be a great idea. An app where you can sign up and get a unique number, which could then be used going forward if it all becomes pre-buy (much like the system at another con).

It has been mentioned before in terms of having live updates during events on changes in shoot times, talk times and other things, but not sure about the ticketing/permissions thing. Would that also require some manual input during an event or would it be able to be set up to do that automatically?

The only problem I would see would be tens of thousands of people all trying to refresh an app and the local 3G/4G network not being able to cope and updates not being done in time etc...

Just my tuppence!

I bought my entry ticket and my girlfriends one from the old store as soon as they were released, I'm assuming they're still ok to use? I also bought my photoshoots and my girlfriends photoshoots at the same time, will she be ok to use them as my name's on the printed out tickets?

Yes, this is still okay. This is all for next year.

Please do not panic.

I quite like the buy back idea. I know a few people now who can't go for various reasons and would love to be able to get their money back and the tickets be sold on to someone who missed out, I've also seen problems with costume groups where they only get limited tickets (not SMs fault) but people have thought they were getting one of the limited tickets then haven't and have now missed out on the chance to get a ticket, another friend of mine one of her friend was meant to buy the tickets but someone told her friend they could buy on the door (they aren't on here or any of the facebook groups) and didn't know otherwise so didn't buy tickets hoping to walk up on the day. With a buy back system that would mean the people that geniunely missed out through no fault of their own could still get tickets. It would be a case of the original buyer specifying how many tickets they bought and how many they want to cancel (they may have bought for friends who can't go but they are still going), adding those back to the system which I presume would then give it a new code! Not saying that won't take time cause it will, and I'd implement a cut off date too cause it would take time to get them back on the system.

Not sure however that I like the photos being added to tickets thing, as others have said thats a hard one for cosplayers, in real life I have short blonde/brown hair, blue eyes and wear glasses and wear a lot of hoodies, over the course of the LFCC weekend I will be wearing two dresses, have blue eyes two days red eyes another, have long blonde hair and long brown hair, be wearing glasses and not wearing glasses, or in the case of Sunday dressed like a man in a vigilante costume. There is no way I'm going to look anything like I normally would. Also I sometimes get the tickets for friends (helps save on postage/validation/etc) so if I had to upload pictures for myself, boyfriend and two friends would take forever as well as making sure I add the right names to the tickets.

I've seen some of this going on on Facebook - I've seen people saying they urgently need a ticket for someone for some reason due to being let down by someone else but have seen variations on the same request across different groups, so it looks like some people are trying to acquire tickets by playing on people's good will and then, presumably, selling them on.

I think it's only right that something is put in place so that those of us who are genuine fans, wanting to go to the show and enjoy it, can get the tickets and cut out those who are seeking to buy up tickets and sell them back at ridiculous prices.

I do understand there are circumstances where someone can't go for whatever reason and think some kind of official marketplace is a great idea for selling tickets in those circumstances to genuine people.

- G

Yes, seen those posts too "My friend has been amputated from the neck down and his forth cousin twice removed was supposed to get him a ticket but forgot when he suddenly moved to Tahiti. Anyone has a ticket spare?"

• Like 4

there is no way to avoid stuff like this, it's been going on w/ concert tickets for years. the only way to avoid this that i can see working is to check ID (ie, use the card you bought the ticket w/) at the door, which would slow entry.

But many concerts do that and if well organised it doesn't seem to take too much longer. But you're right that industry has been trying different things for years and nothing has worked. Only (probably impractical) answer, only the person whose name is on the ticket possibly photo too can use it when presenting ID. Though you can still fake ID if you really want to go to that effort.

The sell back thing, while nice, still won't stop people buying for profit. Don't Glastonbury require you to register with a photo before you're even allowed to try and buy a ticket? That seems to have helped. But is a lot of effort.

The problem is actually at the point of purchase. How can you stop people buying just to sell on? Without tying the purchase to ID, photo or DNA lol there's no way to control it.

Edited by Rockstar6662

- G

Yes, seen those posts too "My friend has been amputated from the neck down and his forth cousin twice removed was supposed to get him a ticket but forgot when he suddenly moved to Tahiti. Anyone has a ticket spare?"

Tahiti is a magical place...so it's possible :P

• Like 4

just an idea?

have it as members only!

(if you think show is going to sell out early again or get busier)

- so people attending event have to register and obtain an members pass (with a photo ID and members number for a fee) -

-before they can buy tickets for event.

when asked they could show their pass as ID which could be checked against tickets(tickets would havename & members number on).

then S.M should have member details of everyone attending for security (and what tickets they have purchased)

and if a member can't make it they can re-sell entrance tickets(only) back to S.M so they can re-sell to another member

and to make things a little simpler for security, members have to buy their own tickets!!- no gifts/presents (if someone wants to treat you- ask for cash or S.M vouchers )

• Like 1

- G

Tahiti is a magical place...so it's possible :P

Someone got the reference :clap: *High fives*

• Like 3

What may be a little solution for people dont be screwed by fake tickets, is to put the max bid on ebay to be sure they didnt sell the tickets to anyone else and never pay ... The time the auction ends , and the time for them to cancel , it would be to late for them...and by the way , red feedback...

doesn't quite help the issue, but I like the idea that like with SDCC, during the con repeat customers can buy tickets for next years event.

I worry that one day I will be unable to get a ticket even though this is my 8th year.

thanks