Pens

Wilkinson do the Sharpie 'Gold, Silver, Bronze' 3-pack for £4, if that's more convenient than getting to Ryman.

I think gold or Bronze Sharpie look very good on black & white 10x8s. Might be worth considering - if you've got any B&W images to get signed.

Personally, I wouldn't advise getting the cover of anything (book, DVD, CD booklet etc.) signed in metallic Sharpie, as the auto can get scratched over time. For these,I find it best to restrict the use of metallic Sharpie to the inside pages, where the auto will be protected, and don't forget to let the auto dry before you close the book.

I've had different experiences with different pens over the years. WORST? - Sarah Wayne Callies - in a gold colour but was the pen was running out so it looks awful. BEST? Helen Langenkamp - bright blue, sounds weird but it works for the picture.

My worst one was Roger Lloyd Packs. He signed it in gold but the ink was running out so he wrote over the top of the original signature again. Looks messy and unprofessional. Wish I had asked him to start again on a new photo. Was one of my first conventions though and I was nervous so didn't think of asking him.

If you every experience this again and don't want to say anything in front of the guest just look for the Red shirt crew in that area (or ask a crew member) and they will get it replaced for you without the guest knowing :)

It was about 15 years ago and thankfully it hasn't happened since. I have got more confident meeting guests since then so would tell them now! :)

Maybe a crazy question...

But does anyone use a white pen? Think that would look really cool on black backgrounds but don't know if they exist or work....

That's a good idea. Never thought about that before! W H Smiths do a pack of sharpies all different colours so will make a point of looking next time I am in there.

I've never had an item signed before. I'm going to buy a few posters to collect autographs, but was wondering what's the best type of material to have signed? I see laminated posters cost a little more, but are they okay for signing or will it rub off?

Loads of people get posters signed. Generally the most common are just like the movie poster ones which have a slightly shiney finish to them. You have to think of how easy they are to roll up and carry and how they will look framed. Sharpies pretty much sign anything

I've often wondered if I am alone when I say I HATE black sharpies ? I know this is personal preference as I always get my auto's in Silver how ever does any one else share my hatred ? lol

One piece of advice I would like to give is with regards to any colour Metallic Sharpie. Always keep them pointing Nib/Tip DOWNWARDS when not in use ! Even keeping them on their sides isn't good unless of course they are in constant use. The reason just in case you don't know is because there are tiny fragments of the metallic element in the ink and they tend to go in the flow of the ink ie if not stored nib/tip downwards but with the nib/tip in the up right position the fragments will gather at the end of the pen away from the Nib/Tip and there for give the impression of the pen being " Dried Out ".

And if I get time to I will always ask the Guest ( if I'm not using my own pen ) if their Silver Sharpie is behaving its self ie is it working. Oh and yes I have had some strange looks etc but once I have explained to them that they can dry out easily they normally test them first how ever if I'm not 100% happy with the way its been signed ie it looks as if the pens run out I always ask for a replacement using my own pen.

After all your paying for the Auto and you may never get a chance to replace it :)

Not alone but I find black ink is the best for autographs - autographs signed in blue are beautiful yet I find it struggled to hold the test of time, unlike black ink. I collect autos for a living and find black ink autographs are my favourite.

But does anyone use a white pen? Think that would look really cool on black backgrounds but don't know if they exist or work....

Yes you can get White Marker pens and Sharpies how ever they are the paint versions rather than Ink and there for Oil Based.

The 2 flaws in these are -

1 They take a hellava long time to dry compared to a standard black sharpie which dries almost instant or even the metallic ones which take slightly bit longer.

2 Because they are Oil Based they don't work so well on thin paper as they tend to bleed or soak through the pages for example if you where getting a Paperback book done the paper used means the paint will bleed or soak through the paper. How ever if you where doing a Photo or Poster using a Paint Marker will be fine just remember to let the ink/paint dry.

So if your getting say a Black and White photo that's more black than white using a White Pen would look pretty awesome how ever IMHO a Silver sharpie would look just as cool :)

Just look on good old E of Bay and you will find loads :) and all the colours you can think of how ever they don't do Sky Blue Pink or Tartan and personally I think they are missing out on business there lol

Yes, you'd need the paint version. They take forever to dry and are easy to smudge. We used them to get a football signed for my father's birthday in the team colours. We had to treat that thing like an eggshell for several hours. ><

• Like 1

But I had to put my hand over my item when Jenna went to sign it in BLACK ! I had a black dot on the back of my hand for the rest of the day.

If Jenna Coleman drew a black dot on the back of my hand, I would never wash that hand again...

Yes you can get White Marker pens and Sharpies how ever they are the paint versions rather than Ink and there for Oil Based.

The 2 flaws in these are -

1 They take a hellava long time to dry compared to a standard black sharpie which dries almost instant or even the metallic ones which take slightly bit longer.

2 Because they are Oil Based they don't work so well on thin paper as they tend to bleed or soak through the pages for example if you where getting a Paperback book done the paper used means the paint will bleed or soak through the paper. How ever if you where doing a Photo or Poster using a Paint Marker will be fine just remember to let the ink/paint dry.

So if your getting say a Black and White photo that's more black than white using a White Pen would look pretty awesome how ever IMHO a Silver sharpie would look just as cool :)

Just look on good old E of Bay and you will find loads :) and all the colours you can think of how ever they don't do Sky Blue Pink or Tartan and personally I think they are missing out on business there lol

Yes, you'd need the paint version. They take forever to dry and are easy to smudge. We used them to get a football signed for my father's birthday in the team colours. We had to treat that thing like an eggshell for several hours. ><

So if the person autographing goes back over his writing with his writing hand it becomes smudged and messed up so maybe not worth the risk on a once only auto!!!!!

Does anyone have any advice on which colour pen will stand out more on a sepia photo? I really want to get the Clocktower photo signed by both MJF and CL but not sure how well the autos will stand out :-/

Red would be quite striking. Blue would stand out though.

Black is usually OK for me, I know there will be 10 times the blacks at the event, so am more likely to get a less used pen. The problem is some guests write off pens to quickly by pressing too hard, some chat for minutes with the lids off. If I do have a dark item I try and test any metallic before the guests sign.

My pet hates are the bronze sharpies. I think they look awful and have a feathered edge once dry. But my biggest fear when doing the pre orders is the left handed guest.

We all seem to have had quite different experiences with all the different colours :smile: I used the bronze for the first time at Sherlocked and it was fine on my items.

e052b636-a108-4391-bf62-e819a2ef04da.jpg

I like bronze too. I didn't use it at a show yet, but it really works well at Disney. Get a gold sharpie near a chipmunk and the pen is inevitably dead afterwards. Neither Chip nor Dale or while we're at it Tinkerbell managed to break my bronze one yet. :lol:

• Like 2

I had Amanda Tapping use a sakura gelly roll shadow pen in blue/silver for 2 signings . Blue edged silver .She loved it and took a pic of the pen on her phone. The pens are for archival use as well and available in different colours.

I'm bringing a book with me to LFCC, planning on getting an auto on the inside double black page. You know, that black fuzzy kind of page before the actual book begins?

Anyone had one of those pages signed with a sharpie?

Bringing my scream mask with me to get signed by Neve campbell but im stuck between silver or black would like to get the black mouth part of the mask signed in silver but dont know if silver is good or not because im worried it might scratch off, if i was going for black then obviously it would be going on the white part of the mask. Can you guys tell me if silver is any good or not should i stick with black ????

Bringing my scream mask with me to get signed by Neve campbell but im stuck between silver or black would like to get the black mouth part of the mask signed in silver but dont know if silver is good or not because im worried it might scratch off, if i was going for black then obviously it would be going on the white part of the mask. Can you guys tell me if silver is any good or not should i stick with black ????

If I remember the Scream mask correctly Silver would look awesome on the Black Mouth part how ever 2 things to consider

1 How easy would it be to sign the mouth area ? Any lumps and Bumps may cause a problem

2 Depends on what your doing with the mask once its been signed ? Are you doing anything with it which may cause Rubbing ? If the answer is Yes then stick to Black if the answer is No " Its going into a Hermetically Sealed Case and never coming out again " then go for Silver if the answer to point one is the area can be easily signed.

Awesome cheers for the reply, and yeah its going to be put away securely without touching anything so silver it is plus no bumps or lumps will look sweet.

Does anyone know how well sharpie writes on card? I ordered an awesome looking "poster" as it was described, to have signed by the GoT guests that are attending. Unfortunately it's just arrived and isn't a poster at all, it's made out of a pretty thick, grainy card. Is black sharpie likely to bleed everywhere when the guest begins to sign it?

Thinking about sending it back considering how much it cost but it's come from Bulgaria. Won't get any refund before the show.

EDIT: Okay so it's 'Archival Fine Art Paper' apparently, not card. Shows how much I know. :P

Edited by Wayward One