Some thoughts on this years event and the future :-)

I just want to quickly share my views on virtual tickets for autographs...

I LOVE the fact that nothing is guaranteed. I think it adds a nice bit of excitement for the day. I would hate my whole day to be predetermined. I love the thrill of getting in the door and trying to decide which VT to get first and which to save for later.

Personally speaking that sounds like my worst nightmare. I'd hate to go to the time, effort and expense of travel/hotels etc to come away empty handed. The mad rush for low VT is something hate with every event.

If I had an opportunity to pre book photoshoots as well as autographs in advance (although with respect to the autographs I would want "in person" not presigned) I would grab that with both hands. By booking "Combos" it gives me less stress and more time to view the merchandise stalls. All I'd need to worry about is being at a certain photo/autograph aurorae at a certain time.

In some ways that is what the Diamond Packages are providing. Your technically pre buying your autograph, all you need to do is collect it in person at an appropriate time.

• Like 1

For the pre-ordering autos, I haven't seen anyone mention the reason SM give every time this is brought up that they don't do it. With many guests, you just have no idea how many autos they will get through and therefore how many tickets you can sell. You have the people like Shatner that I've heard is a machine and dies 1000+ and then people like Brian Blessed that I missed out on because he didn't even get over 100. There's no way of knowing unless it is agreed with the guest but with first time signers they'll have no real idea. What then if the guest gives a number but doesn't even come close to doing? Lots of angrier attendees for SM to deal with!

With regards to the group passes, you have mentioned about people dropping out, which is the main worry. But what about the other way? What would you do if someone else is added? It would be chaos to order people wanting to add the guest and pay extra to add them in the shoot, especially if it's a big name. These types of things seem almost impossible to organise properly with guest cancelling and being added right up to the show.

• Like 5

Having been attending since CM4 I have to admit I preferred the events when they were smaller and more niche but it is progress and the events are bound to get bigger, that is just a fact, can't really complain about that!

I know this is very much personal opinion but I think that entry should be included with a diamond or gold pass at no extra charge. If you have multiple tickets then it won't mattet as you are not paying more but if I ever could get a dp (which I doubt it) then I would be a bit miffed having to get an entry ticket too. Although it has been well advertised that this is not included, so no fault there!

With regards to bigger guests - thats amazing and I love the fact we have some incredibly huge names this year and its great if you can afford them but would hate it to become only for really well off people...I know we can't discuss other events do will be vague but there was one that was specifically aimed at people who could spend thousands and everyone else didn't even look at that lineup as it was just pie in the sky...would hope LFACC would never become that elite.

I like the ideas that people are suggesting re having opportunity to buy tickets for next year soon after the event if you went this year...like priority tickets for existing attendess. Some festivals do that for like 2 weeks following the event where people that attended this year had an opportunity to buy tickets at the same pricr so say if they went up in 2016, attendess from 2015 could buy them at 2015 prices. This could apply to general admission and gold passrd but obviously diamond passes.

With regards to organisation I am hoping the pre selling tickets etc means there will be no or v little queue to get in, BUT if there are any queues then hopefully staff will be plentiful and very visible within the area of the queue so if you are getting close to a photo shoot or talk etc you can ask for help?

I am a massive fan of these events and really enjoy them, really looking forward to LFACC

• Like 2

I would find it useful to have a gold pass for specific days rather than the whole weekend. I get a fair few photos and autos and would love a gold pass but I only ever attend one day and it's just to expensive. Having a gold pass just for one day (at a lower price) would be brilliant :)

Oh wait just thought of something how about categorise the guests into there fitting genre of film or tv shows it would make it alot easier to know where the guests will be then instead of the guests being spread out the place.

I know there's guests that are mix genres but they will have that one film that everyone will know them from the most.

• Like 1

I have never tried to get tickets for San Diego but a friend did and they said that they sat online for hours and eventually didn't get them - I do hope it stays as the shop and a first come first served basis for another year or two at least.

JA

SM London event is just getting bigger each year, this year the preview Friday opening time has been brought forward, Maybe next year you can bring it forward again around 11am

Pay on the door, I know this event is sold out, but like SM has said before people come and go..... maybe pay on the door after 3pm and make it around £10. Just a thought. :smile:

So Showmasters any word on crew presence outside the venue before opening? Still kinda worried about being left in the hands of venue staff.

Will there even be much in the way of venue staff? It's not so much in the way of private property that can be locked up like Earls Court.

Edited by TerraHawk

So Showmasters any word on crew presence outside the venue before opening? Still kinda worried about being left in the hands of venue staff.

Will there even be much in the way of venue staff? It's not so much in the way of private property that can be locked up like Earls Court.

I know there will be only the one main queue this year with all entry tickets being pre sold I am just concerned that venue staff/security will not have a clue how to organise this as witnessed in previous years.

I posted earlier about the Stan Lee situation from last year (having to climb onto a disabled ramp!) and while I appreciate this is a different venue I just feel a presence of crew alongside venue staff outside before the event could allay any potential issues.

I would love to see some pre-sold autograph vouchers to people will have a guaranteed one. I think in close coordination with the guest's management and the guests themselves, you can easily figure out what the amount of those could be individually.

I am loving the cooperation with Eventbrite in so far as the QR codes for the tickets go. This is so professional and so so so much easier than anything I've seen at conventions.

I will be doing SDCC before LFCC ( yes, lucky me, I know! ) and I will be able to compare the two - I know it's frowned upon to post about different events and if that's not tolerated (in a neutral and interesting manner) I'll refrain from doing so.

I know there will be only the one main queue this year with all entry tickets being pre sold I am just concerned that venue staff/security will not have a clue how to organise this as witnessed in previous years.

I posted earlier about the Stan Lee situation from last year (having to climb onto a disabled ramp!) and while I appreciate this is a different venue I just feel a presence of crew alongside venue staff outside before the event could allay any potential issues.

Oh I wasn't disagreeing with your concerns - just that I'm not sure we can even depend on that level of organisation until a Showmasters representative arrives. Before that, any queues will be self policed. As they were before the gates opened at Earls Court.

I've seen elsewhere a queue form outside a door for two hours. Organiser then shows up and says no, the queue starts over here, original queue falls into disarray.

So I agree, you need structure in place. More than ever.

<Snipped for length>

Well so what's the £1 per item admins fees for ?

<Another snip ;) >

I looked at using Eventbright for a film screening I organised last year, if I recall correctly they charge a fee per ticket as standard. So while it's annoying, it's not Showmasters doing.

(I might be wrong on the details, but I know using them would have worked out too costly for my event)

Showmasters have used the venue before, so I'm sure they're aware of potential issues.

I have a couple of thoughts I would like to share on here :)

In regards to the new £1 " Admin " fee on all items I would like to ask What's it for ? I know its for admin fees etc how ever is the on-line shop's running costs that much ? If you stop and think about it its all done automatically with very little human intervention for example there can't be any one sitting on a keyboard 24 hours a day saying " Oh someone has just bought a photo shoot I better knock that off the list of how many we have " no its all done by a Computer and on-line. And then there's the tickets themselves well they don't exist well not really. Its not like that SM are printing us a glossy ticket with say a Hologram or other No they are sent to us via email ! So there's no printing costs for SM nor is there any postal costs. When we have received the ticket via email what do we do ? WE print them out no big deal I guess but we are using our own printers so that means our Ink, our electricity and costs for wear and tear of our printer ! and yet we're still expected to pay £1 per item WHY ?

Now having said all that I can appreciate that admin fees are standard within the industry and I would expect to pay fees for when say buying a theatre ticket how ever with say a theatre there is a box office and perhaps a telephone number that I could ring if I have a problem. SM have none of these and there for have no running costs in providing these. If there was a Telephone number or a physical entity that people could contact there wouldn't be any of the problems that I have been reading on the Forum.

So let me ask you a question Would you buy a Theatre ticket from a company that has no off line contact ie no phone number or even a postal address ? Well I wouldn't and yet SM are ! I mean until a few weeks ago I never even heard of a company called Eventbright. Yes I know I'm in safe hands with SM and it's fine by me how ever there is still no off line contact for Eventbright.

Well so what's the £1 per item admins fees for ?

Its not like we have a choice any more its not like we can walk into a box office or even buy them at the event is self cause there is no box office and lets face it most of the Photo shoots or even entry tickets sell out before the event ! And if you do a lot of photo shoots, talks etc that can add up to a lot of money.

So Showmasters we are NOT cash cows ! You keep pushing us and we're going to stop doing these events I know I will.

I presume use of the system isn't free, it's something that Showmasters would need to pay a fee for.

It also seems new batches of tickets have to be added manually as well, so there needs to be a person that checks regularly and adds new ticket batches as needed who has to be paid for.

My issue isn't with having to pay a fee of some sort, there are going to be costs, it is the disproportionate impact on those of us that buy a lot of photoshoots.

I have 30 for the weekend, I could have bought these in one order and paid just one fee of £2.50 for the Summer, that is going to cost me £30 in fees from the Winter show, that's one heck of an increase !

• Like 1

Exactly, the fee for using the site should be per transaction, not per ticket. If you're putting one order through for 30 tickets, how on earth can £30 be the cost of that one order going through

It isn't, its how much they think the customer will put up with. Just extra revenue. If will be £1.50 eventually then £2.

I've been trying to get tickets for San Diego for four years now - I sit in that online queue every year for a good hour and they sell out before I even get a chance. The only good thing is people who came the previous year get priority booking - I hope LFCC will do this if they go down that route. That way regulars are rewarded with almost guaranteed entry and anything left goes out to the rest.

I'm really looking forward to this event at the moment - there is a really good line-up of guests. I have my usual gold pass to make the day less stressful, and am not meeting any of the Diamond guests (except a photo shoot with Bill Paxton) although I really like that option if someone I really liked came along.

I think this is a great event and is only going to get better year on year as the troubles are ironed out with experience.

Keep up the good work SM!

• Like 1

Okay guys - I am pretty sure this topic has gone a way that Jason neither wanted nor expected it to go.

Before we get more posts like the last couple I have been forced to hide I will close here. If SM have any comments they can open it again at any time. I'm really sorry, I actually enjoyed reading some of the ideas posted here a lot.