Is this show getting TOO big?

LSM

It sounds really stupid to make a complaint about this show getting bigger but is anyone else feeling the pinch of it getting TOO big?

I'm someone who overbudgets for these shows and was very much aware and prepared for this event to be the flagship show of the year. For that very reason I started saving money over 6 months ago.

Because of the sheer amount of names that I have an interest in, for the first time ever, I've started to have to make decisions of either cutting a guest from my list of "wants" or make a decision between and autograph or photo. Usually I've been in a fortunate position to afford both.

Please don't take this topic as being ungrateful as I think it's great that we've been given the opportunity to meet some great names this year. I know it's also easy to thrown the arguement "you don't HAVE to meet......" & no-one is twisting your arm, however when that carrot is dangled infront of you I feel I HAVE to take the opportunity whilst it's there as it may never come around again.

Anyone else in the same position as me, or am I alone here?

• Like 4

• Moderators

For me? Not at all.

There can be a lineup of a few hundred and I only want to meet 4. Or there can be a smaller event where there's only 50 guests and I end up wanting 20.

I'd say it's all down to personal preference, what you collect etc. Yes, it could get to the point where you have to make decisions which is unfortunate, but I've always felt it's better to at least have the option.

• Like 11

Luckily for me, I never have to choose between photo and auto, as I only ever get photos. But this time I am looking at a few of the guests and, knowing my budget, am having to make tough decisions as to who I REALLY want to meet.

I am not complaining about being spoilt for choice. Far from it. I agree with David that I'd rather have the choice than not.

For me the show is not getting too big; just better.

• Like 3

For me? Not at all.

There can be a lineup of a few hundred and I only want to meet 4. Or there can be a smaller event where there's only 50 guests and I end up wanting 20.

I'd say it's all down to personal preference, what you collect etc. Yes, it could get to the point where you have to make decisions which is unfortunate, but I've always felt it's better to at least have the option.

I 100% agree.
  • Like 2

Big is a relative concept.

As of only a few days ago I was hardpressed to find anyone who I'd want to come and see as none of the names were of any interest to me - although Lea Thompson will be paid a visit from my Howard the Duck DVD.

THen yesterday the frickin magnificent Robert Watts is IN MY OPINION a MAJOR HEADLINING Guest was announced. Hes a great deal bigger than many if not most of the names down just because of his significance in two of the greatest franchises there are Star Wars and Indy.

#Swingsandroundabouts :)

• Like 1

Big is a relative concept.

As of only a few days ago I was hardpressed to find anyone who I'd want to come and see as none of the names were of any interest to me - although Lea Thompson will be paid a visit from my Howard the Duck DVD.

THen yesterday the frickin magnificent Robert Watts is IN MY OPINION a MAJOR HEADLINING Guest was announced. Hes a great deal bigger than many if not most of the names down just because of his significance in two of the greatest franchises there are Star Wars and Indy.

#Swingsandroundabouts :)

I'm on the same boat as you. I've been struggling to find an "excuse" to come this year. As the line up for the days I can go, whilst not awful, has not really been of much interest to me as a lot of the guests attend multiple shows a year and so on... But with the announcement of a few more guests that I'd like to meet I've decided to come. I do however feel that while growth is good it is also having a detrimental effect on a large proportion of the attendees. Not just crowd and queue sizes but also price tags are getting higher and higher. And then with the introduction of diamond passes it seems to be pricing out a lot of people. Now please don't get me wrong if there is a guest I strongly want to meet that has a relatively high price then I'll make Appropriate sacrifices. But I think that SM need to realise that by raising the profile and prices at this event may in the long run cost them a fair few customers. Just my two cents
  • Like 1

As a person who wants alot... Well its stretching on too big. Mainly economical thing... Cant afford all I want... (What we in sweden call an ilandsproblem (luxuryproblem) ) ;) I REALLY dont mind this many guests to pick from. :D I will have loads of fun this year.

But I am very afraid that it will become clash heaven with talks and photoshoots with this many guests, and the headliners are many and booking talks at this point seems abit dangerous since there will most likely be clashes with them. But this is just an organisation nightmare which Im sure that SM will solve.

Edited by Wondermoose

As long as they can cater for the amount of people attending. Last year we were told after going outside for a fresh air break that we weren't allowed to re-enter until some people had left the building because it was at capacity. Luckily we were vendors but I was still peeved. If I have photo shoots and entry booked, I'm getting back in that hall!

Ta,

Che-Snake ;)

• Like 3

There is plenty of choice for people this year covering all types of genres which is a good thing in my opinion.

I have made my photo shoot choices (so far) and am now compiling a list of autographs I want to get (plenty of Star Wars guests this year).

I don't generally go for the talks so this gives me more time to obtaining autographs and the photo shoots. Everyone has their preference and

I for one am really looking forward to this years event. I am just glad I can attend all three days this year.

DavidB said it all. The lineup, way bigger then last year, is way less interesting to me then last year, so no, it doesn't feel overwhelming at all so far. I hope the announcements keep on flowing and hopefully with more guests I do want to meet...

• Like 1

Fortunately i don't have money problems,my only concern is if i can meetevery guest i would like to meet(no money problems doesn't mean i'm happy to throwing my money away..).I try to separate them in a rational way between the three days.I hope will be enough...

Anyway,it's not too big...it's ok for different people which heve different tastes.

I don't think so, BUT:

I do think it is one of a few events that is becoming too big for this country. And by that I mean this country, even in London, really doesn't have the facilities for events like this if they keep getting bigger. There's the Excel...and that's it. Everything else, compared to convention centres in the US, is pretty small (or in the case of Earls Court, outdated and being demolished).

If we want US-size events and want them to work well, we need bigger venues in this country.

It sounds really stupid to make a complaint about this show getting bigger but is anyone else feeling the pinch of it getting TOO big?

I'm someone who overbudgets for these shows and was very much aware and prepared for this event to be the flagship show of the year. For that very reason I started saving money over 6 months ago.

Because of the sheer amount of names that I have an interest in, for the first time ever, I've started to have to make decisions of either cutting a guest from my list of "wants" or make a decision between and autograph or photo. Usually I've been in a fortunate position to afford both.

Please don't take this topic as being ungrateful as I think it's great that we've been given the opportunity to meet some great names this year. I know it's also easy to thrown the arguement "you don't HAVE to meet......" & no-one is twisting your arm, however when that carrot is dangled infront of you I feel I HAVE to take the opportunity whilst it's there as it may never come around again.

Anyone else in the same position as me, or am I alone here?

I can see where you are coming from. I used to be in the position to be able to get autos and photos from all the guests I wanted to at the shows and now I'm going to have to make some touch choices having already bought a Gold Pass, a Diamond Pass and 24 photoshoots. I've hit my budget limit. I appreciate this is a personal thing and some people will be like you are lucky to be able to get all that already, but I guess it is all relative, so for the first time this year I won't be able to get to meet everyone I want. I already had to make a tough decision as I couldn't afford to get the MJF diamond pass, but I suspect it will be another tough decision tomorrow as well, although what I have started to do is to cut down the number of autos that I am planning on getting instead, as I've realised in a lot of cases I'd rather prioritise the photoshoot over the auto.

• Moderators

It's always interesting to see what different people want.

Some would travel for one guest and yet others aren't happy unless there's at least 15-20 that they want. Some might get 40+ in a weekend!

• Like 3

Far too big. I agree with the original poster. I am on about 50 guests for photos and autos but WILL have to choose wisely as I can only afford approx. 20.

I may be missing out out people I have wanted to meet for years unfortunately in the hope that they attend a later event.

There was around 130 guests last year and I think we're up at around that number again this year. So unless last year could be considered too big as well, I think we're fine so far.

It's also a bigger venue so it can handle more guests anyway

• Like 1

I feel you, man. For me this show is too big this year. I remember that two years ago I spend a little more than 400€ on this event and I only had to skip 2 guests because of budget reasons. This year I'm spending more and will more likely skip about 20 guests. It's too big, but then again this is how it goes. I already seriousy overspend on these things and it's only gonna keep growing. I'm just gonna have to get used to making decisions and deciding who to meet and who to hope will be back. It's the nature of the beast. But as others have said, better you have too many guests instead of too few.

• Like 1

I can see what you mean to big, yes the amount of guests is the same as last year but the names are alot bigger than last time as usually u will hav a handful of big names and many smaller names while this time there are more bigger names than there are smaller names, as im happy to pay 45 for gambon but then there are a few guests at this price and this then becomes too expensive. Its ashame that some of these guests cant b at other events around the country because none of the others are a scratch on the london event, a medium size guest at london is a headliner everywhere else. Imagine if gambon came to milton keynes collectormania it will be amazing!

• Like 1

I know what the original posters is getting at.its all choose but most people if they do convention they try to do as much as they can.when there are so many guests and the names keep getting bigger.then there is more hard decisions to be made than a person might want to do. I normally like to do about 3 conventions a year but this one has become so big I had to choose to go to this one only this year ( and I much prefer hotel con's to signing ones) because this show is getting to be the biggest must see convention in Europe now.

• Like 1

I can see where your coming from. Last year was a damn good year for guests but this year is even better and it looks like theres more to come. I couldn't even get in the building last year cause of overcrowding and i know although this year its a bigger venue and the problems will be ironed out, the event is getting bigger and bigger.

It seem's there is more guests than last year and they are still coming but i suppose they have to take into account cancellations also as they usually come closer to the day.

I've only bought 4 photos so far theres about 15 people i'm going to purchase shoots for, and i know this list will grow. Most of the guests are star wars/doctor who which i have no interest in which is good for my wallet i guess

• Like 1

Far too big. I agree with the original poster. I am on about 50 guests for photos and autos but WILL have to choose wisely as I can only afford approx. 20.

I may be missing out out people I have wanted to meet for years unfortunately in the hope that they attend a later event.

It is your choice to have purchased/scheduled 50 photoshoots; SM may have a lot of rules, but they certainly don't require anyone to buy a certain number of photoshoots lol

The show can, indeed, become "too big" for a particular venue, but as far as it being "too big" because people have to pack loads into their day isn't SM's fault.

Last year, I spent more at LFCC than at any single con since I started attending them. Could I have spent more? Absolutely. Generally, I prefer to get autographs because there is usually a chance to chat with the guests I admire; it is rare that I spend money on a photoshoot - I save those for the "massive" guests on my list, such as John Hurt. This year, at the moment, there are only about 4 or 5 guests I "have" to meet. Could I choose to meet more? Absolutely, but I'd rather not feel rushed off my feet and be able to enjoy the event.

It doesn't seem like SM can win either way: if the guest list is sparse, people complain; if it's loaded with guests, people complain.....

Edited by GinfromGA
  • Like 1