Is this show getting TOO big?

LSM

The bigger, the better to be honest. There's plenty of smaller cons taking place throughout the year that people can attend so it's nice to have a big whopper known as LFCC with an amazing guest list that includes Sigourney Weaver, Michael J Fox and a whole load of others. I come to LFCC to meet movie legends and that's what I'm getting.

• Like 3

I swore after last years overcrowding I'd not do another LFCC but then you got MJF and so I have to come now, like others I worry about the amount of people in the venue but it does seem like feedback has been listened to to try and avoid this which is good to see.

Guest wise I'm only coming for 2 specific guests but that may well change when I get there and see Noah Wyle in the flesh lol

No on the day tickets does negate that some what - they knew how many people were coming in last year from pre-sales but then a HUGE amount turned up to pay on the day. That factor of the unknown is gone so it should be less mental this year.

Although I suspect there will still be some people who try to turn up to pay on the day and get very cross when they find out they can't!

• Like 1

As it currently stands there's only four people who are of interest to me, very quiet.

* The true legend (and he is very worthy of such an esteemed title) Robert Watts.

* Another true legend Dave Barclay.

* Legendary Siggy Weaver.

* And of course Lea Thompson

I do wonder if this show is getting too big for the forum or website. It's getting easy to miss things.

Definitely too big for the forum! With all these guest announcements there's not much room for anything else on the front page!

Edited by Wrong Name
  • Like 1

The way i see it, its a insight for what to expect from this point on with future events we now know showmasters have that power to bring in the big dogs (A-list guests) and what to expect for the price tags i for one have went way over my budget like many others because i wasn't really prepared for this amazing line up i know jason said that showmasters will be stepping it up and he has stuck by that and showmasters are not done yet with guests announcements. They also have now proven that any guest suggestion is now possible. All there is now is to see how all this plays out and what to expect from the new systems that have been put into place.

Next year ill be more prepared and have a much more bigger budget and will be more familiar with the venue and setup so then ill be on the ball with everything, with the event getting bigger im all for it (so far).

• Like 2

Too big? No, just more expensive!

I agree with the posts at the start of this thread wholeheartedly: it is better to have more guests - i.e. more choice.

Not every attendee can afford to meet every guest, but not every attendee wants to meet every guest either.

I would rather SM booked loads of guests because it is nice that they can give attendees a wide scope of guests that appeal to multiple fandoms. High price tags and rarer guests do not intimade me because I am rather select in who I meet anyway. I think a lot of attendees could be far more selective in their choices. If customers didn't feel they have to have everything, they might not be so worried about large guest lists.

I honestly do not understand 'fans' who meet 40 odd guests at these shows and want that many photoshoots too. Surely no-one likes EVERYONE and EVERYTHING???

The most guests I have met totalled 9 at Destination Trek London last year + 1 photo, and prior to that, 8 at last years LFCC + 2 photos. Those were busy shows for me because usually in the past I have gone to these events and never met more than 4 guests. In fact, I went to Collectormania MK last week to meet just one guest!

For this LFCC I intend to meet 8 guests (would have been 9 if Jonathan Frakes had not cancelled again) + 5 photos + 2 talks (the latter being something I have never paid for) and even I am suprised by that because up until a week ago...

I was originally only going for Charles Dance, Bill Paxton and then Michael Gambon who was recently announced + 1 photo. Dance I have already met, I was undecided on meeting Gambon so was really only making the effort and the journey for the rare Paxton.

Then in the last week Showmasters have announced Sigourney Weaver(!!!!!!), Carrie Henn, Colette Hiller, Jonathan Pryce, and Ray Park.

I am a huge Alien and James Bond fan (and meant to meet Ray Park at a previous show but missed him) so these are guests I cannot miss. In the space of a few days Showmasters have changed this event from being a bit limp for me, to being a must attend show I am certain will be my best show ever, if only for Sigourney Weaver.

This show will be a gamechanger for the organisers and it has happened only 4 weeks before it opens. Had they of been worrying about the event getting "too big" we would not be getting some of the AMAZING new guests just announced. What should they do, turn Sigourney down when they have the chance to finally get her? What a coup!

I, for one, am glad they are trying to grow these shows. They provide a unique experience for the fans and the names they are snagging are just getting more impressive each year.

Edited by Dent_1
  • Like 2

There is a limit on Olympia's space (about 40,000 sq/m) and unfortunately they can't have LFCC at London's biggest exhibitor's venue, Excel (about 80,000 sq/m).

Not sure how much more you can grow a show when the venue is a major limiting factor, but adding a Thursday would certainly help ;)

It can certainly grow in terms of overall 'quality' of guests, but to offset that, maybe the entry prices would need to increase.

The biggest comparable con across the pond has 150,000 attendees but the floorspace of their event centre is nearly 80,000 sq/m.

Is the show too big? Hell no it's my wallet that's too small lol.

LOL. I agree with this totally :smile:

It's incredibly difficult. Me and my husband are only going for 1 day this year, the Sunday, as we are moving house and "trying" not to spend too much money, but for me, seeing the amount of guests that are there this year makes me want to book for the Saturday as well. Most of all as The Musketeers guests are only attending on the Saturday which I'm GUTTED about and also for the time factor to fit everything in.

As a good example though that it's different for everyone, my husband has barely anyone on his list. Probably mainly as he does not watch as much TV and film as me :smile:

In answer to the question is it getting to big, I don't think it can really be answered properly. Is it getting to big for the size of the venue, big fat yes!!! After the Stan Lee experience, how on earth they are going to continue to make it bigger and bigger year on year without a bigger venue to hold it in is beyond me. What other venues are there in London that are big enough to hold it in?

For me, if the guests are getting bigger, I'm all for it! It saves me having to go all the way over to San Diego Comic Con to meet all the big and wonderful guests they have there. Would never be able to afford it and from what I have heard, getting tickets is almost impossible.

However, how I will feel about LFCC in the future remains to be seen. It depends on several factors. Price, venue size and organisation.

I'm quite fussy about who I meet, which is definitely a good thing. I look at the line-up every year but it takes a real 'wish-list' guest to prompt me into going. Return to the Future was what made me buy Saturday tickets, and the MJF announcement made me buy MJF photo tickets. Now with Sigourney and Bill Paxton on the list, I've expanded to Sunday tickets and I'm preparing to spend more money. But that's still only 4 guests I'm really going for, so it's all down to perspective really. This will be my biggest spend on a convention yet.

Hmm tough one it used to be pleasant to walk about even if not meeting anyone. I didn't go last year but hear it was a total crush, even with tickets in advance we don't know how many are being sold, I suspect its still busy so will there be room to even see anything I do hope so. Think I still prefer a weekend convention environment where it is more relaxed and not so crowded and tailored to a specific genre. Sadly no guests I want to meet yet at LFCC, only really like specific tv shows mainly although curious to peek at Sigourney and MJF although not enough to see them for the price but will get an entry as its a day out.

However, when did the price get so high for entry, didn't we use to pay £8 after 11am but its going to cost £20 now that's 120% increase which is a lot, was it one price last year get in the door? Can see why people are waiting to entry tickets til last minute if there are no guests to see as its a lot for a day out but then you have the chance of selling out.

Have to say though if if gets any bigger it will need a better venue or its not going to be an enjoyable experience if too crowded.For those who seem to cram so much into a day they wont have time to run from one thing to another in time and get thru the crowds, but not sure where unless we are looking at Wembley Stadium or something!

Edited by buffy2k
  • Like 1

My Guests have now dropped to 5. Was 7 until I realised that Musketeers guests are only appearing on the Saturday (still gutted).

I'm being quite strict this year and only going mainly for Auto's instead both photo and Auto. Mainly as I have a couple of smaller guests on my list, so hopefully I will be able to have a chat with them and maybe a sneaky piccie :P

I honestly do not understand 'fans' who meet 40 odd guests at these shows and want that many photoshoots too. Surely no-one likes EVERYONE and EVERYTHING???

Some of us just happen to have a lot of fandoms. I usually reach the teens when I count up people I want to meet at these kind of events, this time I'm closing in on twice as many. Not yet reached 40 and not sure I could afford it even if that many guests of interest to me were announced, but I can understand that some people could reach that number.

• Like 2

Are you implying that someone who wants to meet about 40 guests are not real fans? That's rather insulting and not true at all.

• Like 2

The biggest problem with having so many big guests is the CROWDS of people attending - it's all well and good to put on a massive show with loads of big guests, but pointless when you try and cram everything into these small venues with no air conditioning, not to mention the ridiculous queuing and mass crowding inside the venue! I say less is more, better to spread big guests over numerous shows than to pack them all into one. The massively overcrowded and hot venue ruins the whole experience. But from Showmasters pov I suppose it's all about the £££...

• Like 4

The show is what it is... People can harp back to when one man and his dog was there in a shopping centre, but now it is what it is.....roll on. hope everyone gets something they wanna see

• Like 1

I'm one of those who sometimes gets up to 40 people. My problem is that I do like everything, my dvd collection is around 500 DVDs and unfortunately I like all genres and films like bond, GOT, LOTR, Hobbit, Star Wars, Harry Potter, aliens, lost, once upon a time, eureka, supernatural, and that is very hard when you collect autographs and very expensive. I am not a dealer and I will probably never sell my collection, I enjoy collecting and going to events and meeting some of my idols. Sometimes it is annoying that someone has been in like 5 films that I collect cause then it gets expensive. I have over 6000 autographs and have been collecting for 13 years. I love it and would never change what I do and the number of people I meet. For me this show is amazing, I'm already up to like 45 people, it is costing me nearly the price of a small car but to me it's worth it. I can't wait. It's never going to be too big! Like a lot of people are saying a wide range of guests is exactly what people have been asking for along with the a-listers, we have finally got some, Michael j fox might not be everyone's cup of tea but he is a very rare guest that will probably never do another signing in his life. The price justifies this. I'm looking forward to being there,and seeing everyone :-)

Edited by theentsrgoingtowar

Some of us just happen to have a lot of fandoms. I usually reach the teens when I count up people I want to meet at these kind of events, this time I'm closing in on twice as many. Not yet reached 40 and not sure I could afford it even if that many guests of interest to me were announced, but I can understand that some people could reach that number.

I am somone who likes lost of films/shows myself, but I don't need everyone from everything. I've just recently gotten into Game of Thrones for example, but I'd only ever want autos from Charles Dance and Sean Bean. Not to say Dinklage, Headey, Clarke etc. aren't great in it too but surely we all have favourite actors and consequently lesser favourites?

Michael Gambon surely means more to 99% of Potter fans than some random kid who was in the series charging £15 per auto/photo? I just don't enjoy the whingeing on this forum that people can't afford to meet everyone. Well, sorry that is the case for most of us and being more selective might mean less griping, less stress and a more refined collection.

Are you implying that someone who wants to meet about 40 guests are not real fans? That's rather insulting and not true at all.

I'm simply saying that no-one can be an equal fan of every single guest they meat in exactly equal measure, which is why I put the word 'fan' in parenthesis.

We all have favourite films, favourite actors, favourite foods etc. It can be a tough job picking the favourite but there is always a preference.

Someone in another thread said the price for Sigourney's auto/photo at £95 was too high because they felt the 'casual' fan could likely not justify that spend. I didn't understand that comment, nor the point in making it because of course a casual fan won't pony up the dough, whereas a diehard fan obviously will (funds allowing of course). One 'fan' may like the Alien films whereas another Alien 'fan' may LOVE them - who is more likely to pay the price?

There is no point pretending there are not different levels of fandom. If that were not the case, we wouldn't all budget and prioritise to meet the most important guests to us at each show would we?

IMO, and it is only my opinion, sometimes I think some attendees get a bit carried away at these events trying to meet all and sundry without being discerning at all. I mean come on, who are these people moaning the show is getting too big? How is it too big? Nobody has to meet guests into multiple double figures.

If Showmasters went around worrying the show was "too big" (capacity issues aside) then they wouldn't be booking amazing guests like Sigourney - and that would be great wouldn't it?!?

I really though about meeting Neve Campbell but ultimately thought, "nah, I'll put the money towards another auto from someone I like more." I would have been picking up her auto just for the sake of it, because she is a rare signer, and that goes against my collecting 'rules'. Don't kid yourself, there will be plenty of other 'fans' meeting her and other guests for similar reasons with far less self control than I!

• Like 4