LFCC 2016 - MUST be a 4 day event!

Just catching up on today's guest announcements. I'll be buying photoshoots for a few, on Thursday (may buy one for the guest announcement depending on who it is). But so far, if I brought these, I'm nearing 20 photoshoots, and that's nuts to do over a course of 3 days.

I like to go to talks and get autographs and think this will be a struggle to do this year. For that, Showmasters should consider running next year's event over 4 days if it's their intention for 2016's event to be bigger and better than 2015.

The four day event can run between Thursday - Sunday.

What are people's thoughts on this?

*cough* other cons *cough* run to four days and it doesn't seem to have a detrimental effect. Obviously the onus would be on SM to fill those four days.

I think the problem will always be that there is a chance that you won't be able to get around all the guests you want, regardless of how many days it's on, if the show is packed full of guests you really want to see.

• Like 1

I think this is the way it will go and the way it should. The growth of lfcc seems to be exponential( it might be spelt that way, who knows?) Take Michael J Fox, every single convention in the world would love him as their headliner but SM got him. As a statement to their competeters, customers etc thats huge. I imagine limiting ticket sales this year is nessecary because the size of the venue and previous years but it is still lost revenue so maybe 4 days is the way to go or obviously a bigger venue. I've said it before and i'll say it again i really think lfcc could rival sdcc in years to come, its still relativly a young show and you see with diamond guests this year its growing bigger still. This is just my thoughts and could be way of the mark but they probably could have sold twice the amount of tickets last year ( for every one person who waited in that queue last year there was probably 2 who thought "sod that, i'm going pub instead) Any business who in the future doesn't try and get that lost revenue would be foolish.

• Like 1

Just catching up on today's guest announcements. I'll be buying photoshoots for a few, on Thursday (may buy one for the guest announcement depending on who it is). But so far, if I brought these, I'm nearing 20 photoshoots, and that's nuts to do over a course of 3 days.

I like to go to talks and get autographs and think this will be a struggle to do this year. For that, Showmasters should consider running next year's event over 4 days if it's their intention for 2016's event to be bigger and better than 2015.

i know alot of people who have no photoshoots to do or autographs to get this year so 3 days is more than enough for most people.

Edited by loveamyadams

there's no good answer to an issue like this. if you do more days, workers have to miss a day or so as stated, or people have more cost w/ hotels etc. If you split it over two cons (like the Winter cons, i see there's one of those at Newcastle too) then that doubles expense, if you cut down on the guests to make pacing/timing a bit more sensible then the con may lose its status, etc.

i'm all for SM doing what they're doing and getting who they can, it's up to me to work out the logistics of who i want to see etc. granted it's going to be painful fo some who want 20+ photos etc but i'm sure the organisers will do their best to make sure you get them all.

i know alot of people who have no photoshoots to do or autographs to get this year so 3 days is more than enough for most people.

Its not really about how much each visitor is getting though is it? more about getting everyone who wants to attend into the show. There will be people who would pay an entrance fee for just 1 guest or none at all not to mention impulse decisions. They turned people away last year and are having to limit ticket sales this year because of the size of the venue. If sm was my company then that lost revenue would a be very high priority to address. The show getting bigger is better for us all in the long run, better guests, better variety etc. There will always be people who would just turn up on the day rather than pre -book tickets its just the way people are, they will see an advert and on the spur of the moment will want to attend.

Edited by cropsy2008
  • Like 1

there's no good answer to an issue like this. if you do more days, workers have to miss a day or so as stated, or people have more cost w/ hotels etc. If you split it over two cons (like the Winter cons, i see there's one of those at Newcastle too) then that doubles expense, if you cut down on the guests to make pacing/timing a bit more sensible then the con may lose its status, etc.

i'm all for SM doing what they're doing and getting who they can, it's up to me to work out the logistics of who i want to see etc. granted it's going to be painful fo some who want 20+ photos etc but i'm sure the organisers will do their best to make sure you get them all.

"If you build it, they will come..."

The expense that would be incurred by anyone attending should SM choose at any point to take the con to four days would all come down to personal choice, much like it is now. No one will force anyone to attend all four days, and those who choose currently to take the Friday off work (like myself) would probably choose to do the same for the Thursday if given the opportunity. So I completely agree that it is down to the individual to organise their time.

This is the first year that the Friday won't just be a preview day, and will be open for a full day, which is a step taken to accommodate the fact that the show is getting bigger, more popular, and full of even more awesome guests. Should this prove to be something that works, then SM may indeed choose to add another day.

• Like 2

I'd be surprised if a Thursday wasn't being considered for the future.

But there is no bigger venue available, well apart from Excel and I think we all know why that can't be used.

Has anybody said which halls LFCC is using?

If it's just Olympia Grand and the National then it's not really much different floorspace than Earls Court 2.

I'd have hoped Central was being used as well!!!

• Like 1

Before we get to four days, I think Friday starting from 9.00 a.m. and being a full day would come first, although it is the best part of a full day as it runs from 1.00 p.m. to 8.00 p.m. this year.

Yes, I do think it will move to being over four days in the future, I think now Friday is becoming a more standard day, it may be that Thursday evening now becomes a preview evening as Thursday was in the past. I also do think how quickly this will happen will also depend on how busy Friday is this year.

And whilst the guests are very important in terms of drawing in the attendees, I think in more recent years a lot of attendees don't actually meet any guests or maybe just one or two and come more for the Cosplay, meeting friends and general vibe, which is why Saturday in particular is such a busy day.

• Like 3

This is only really if the guest happen to be in the UK & not working for a week. But then you could have it quite on the first 2 days with it busy for sat/sun. I do think it could be a good idea, you could get in & around then back home on friday. That is if it just applies to the London event.

• Like 1