Photo or Autograph...

Just thought id post a random question and see what peoples opinions are on this.....If you were in a situation where you couldnt afford both a photoshoot AND autograph so had to choose one, which would you go for??? Would you consider a photo with the guest more important and satisying then having a photo or item signed?

Last time Carrie Fisher was here i couldnt afford both photo and autograph so i went for the photoshoot.

Each have their merit. I haven't collected autographs for myself for a long while now, but the best encounters tend to happen at the guest's table (though I have had some memorable photoshoot experiences). Sometimes you can also get the two-for-one and also get a photo at the table - though it's never a given and you can always be sure it won't happen with the bigger guests. There's just more time there (usually).

But still I prefer going for the photoshoot, I like having a good, proper photo with a guest and I like collecting them. Sure, it means a very, very brief encounter and being shuffled around like cattle, but I love going back and looking through my photo collection - something I don't seem to do all that much with my autographs. Besides, I still get to occasionally get the table-encounter if a friend back home wants someone's autograph. There's always one friend I primarily give autographs to for birthdays and christmas, and sometimes other friends want in as well.

• Like 1

Photoshoot for me, I think the picture is a better memory than a signed poster or Bluray, which is of course also awesome. But I prefer the pictures, what better souvenir to get a picture this year with MacGyver, Dumbledore the 2nd :P and Doc Emmett Brown :D
I may get some autographes this year too, but it's more for me to get an over the table picture , there are some actors like David Bradley which are fantastic to meet, but here an over the table picture is enough for me and to get my Hot Fuzz DVD signed :D

Edited by timlux
  • Like 2

If I had to choose it would be a photo. I find they're a good momento when meeting a guest.

It's also nice to show other people you say to people "I've met so & so...." and they don't believe you!

• Like 2

I think both are very special things.

Autographs are very great, you can talk to the guests, when he or she sign your picture.... :smile:

Photo are very great, you are near the guest, get a personal photo with them.... :smile:

• Like 1

That's a tough question, me personally I would have both, but in that situation it depends if you are a big fan of that guest or just collecting. If you are a fan I would say have the photoshoot, if you just want to collect I would say autograph

• Like 1

Tough question as I love to collect multiple autographs all on one poster plus it is great to get personalised autographs too as its personalised to you.

Even though I have been attending cons since 2008 I'd never got a photo shoot until the Sherlocked event back in April and now I'd say they are just as important as getting an autograph.

For me I guess it just depends on what I'm going for and how much of a fan I am of that guest. If I'm a huge fan I'd probably say a photo shoot if not I'd probably opt for an autograph. If I think that guest is going to be too busy chances are a personalised autograph is out the picture anyway

If you was to ask this question before this social media age we live in I bet autograph would win everytime ;)

I disagree. I have thousands of printed photographs from my time travelling before Facebook and Twitter were even around publicly. I think they capture the moment for when the memory fades a little. Even back then I would have still said photograph.

That's me personally though, I wouldn't be able to comment on anyone else!

I'd go for an autograph. Even before I started doing conventions, I collected autographs through the mail. I consider myself a collector (as a hobby). When I have to choose, it's always an auto for my collection. I consider a photo to be a bonus. I go for photoshoots for only the guests I really like, while I take autos from those I don't need photos with. As for people not believing me that I have met someone - I honestly don't care ;)

Edited by SammyRomie

My first cons it was was autographs but they did not have separate photo shoots then so you always got a picture at the table with them but now I only go for the photoshoot as I find it a better memory than a autograph unless it's a guess where I can get a picture with them at the table

Tough question as I love to collect multiple autographs all on one poster plus it is great to get personalised autographs too as its personalised to you.

Even though I have been attending cons since 2008 I'd never got a photo shoot until the Sherlocked event back in April and now I'd say they are just as important as getting an autograph.

For me I guess it just depends on what I'm going for and how much of a fan I am of that guest. If I'm a huge fan I'd probably say a photo shoot if not I'd probably opt for an autograph. If I think that guest is going to be too busy chances are a personalised autograph is out the picture anyway

This pretty much says it for me. I've always gone for auto's over photo's as I really love having my signed posters, however if it came down to it I guess it would have to depend on the guest and what the options were re signing. As a huge Sherlock fan if I got to meet Ben C again and he wasn't signing his full name I'd go for a photo instead (probably).

It was always about the autographs for me, although I look back now and kick myself for not getting photos with some amazing names over the years !!!

I guess it has become increasingly about photoshoots now though and Summer LFCC will be the first time I will be getting more photoshoots than autos.

Part is a financial decision in that I can't afford to get both for every guest, but as someone said to me at Collectormania the other day, when you are discussing with friends and family showing them the photo shows you have met the guest, where as when you look back at the squiggle , anyone could have signed it.

I guess best case scenario is probably still having the opportunity to get both, if that can be an auto and a photo at the desk.

• Like 2

Depends on the guest to be honest and how much they mean to me. Sometimes I want an auto, sometimes a photo, sometimes both. This year it'll mostly be auto's though...In the current line up I'm only interested in a shoot with two guests...and out of disappointment with that low numberI haven't even bought those two yet lol

• Like 1

Yeah really tough one to answer i think, nice to see how you all come to your decisions though and what you find more important to you.i wouldnt say im an autograph collector as such, i just get autos from people i really like and are a fan of, meaning genres like star wars i usually go for the main stars or actors who have appeared in supporting roles rather then the 'extras' that we often see, like stormtroopers, aliens in the background, death star gunners etc, if that makes sense.

but it is nice to have a photo with you and the guest together, but i agree with what someone said you often have the better meeting experience at their table when getting an autograph, the photoshoots are a constant 1 after the other so. In the case of MJF though, as i cant afford the Pass, a photoshoot with him will be perfect as im not missing out, true i wont get an autograph BUT ill get to meet marty himself for a brief moment and have a pic with him and that means so much, id rather that then miss him at all and never have the chance again. Same with carrie fisher, i couldnt afford an autograph at the time so went for hte photo and it came out great, i met her, got a photo of her hugging me and a visual memory for ever!

In terms of this show, i have about 7 or 8 photoshoots booked and hoping to try get most of the autos from those guests too if i can.

Edited by teabelly83