Anthony Joshua

Went to Collectormania 23 on Saturday and met the boxer Anthony Joshua. All I can say is what a top guy. I've met a lot of movie stars and sportsman over the years but he's without doubt one of the best I've met. I got my photo signed by him and literally stood there for about 3 minutes chatting to him, he never once stopped eye contact or tried to move me along. He comes across as a very humble and genuine guy. I know he's just starting out on his career but I really hope he goes to the very top. He was telling me about fighting in Glasgow, fighting at Wembley on the Froch/Groves undercard, going to schools around where he lives to do talks etc. Near the end he asked my name and where I was from, we had a handshake etc, just a top bloke all round. I was very, very impressed by him.

I also met Carl Froch and Kell Brook. I wasn't overly impressed by either of them to be honest, neither were rude but found them a bit arrogant, there was no warmth, they gave standard answers and generally didn't seem overly interested in being there or meeting anyone.

Met Paul Gascoigne, didn't get a lot of time with him but I did tell him about my memories of Italia '90. Got a handshake and a bit of chat. Was rushed a little but still a great person to meet. Finally got my Italia' 90 England shirt signed.

Met Jack Charlton, again another top man. Asked him his most memorable match in charge of the Republic of Ireland. Said it was their 1-0 win over Italy in New York at USA '94. Also spoke to me about Paul McGrath and we discussed about him marking Baggio out of the game.

Also met the actors Costas Mandylor who had a few stories to tell from the set of the Saw films and William Sadler who was a nice bloke. We discussed The Shawshank Redemption.

All in all a top day, Anthony Joshua definitely topped it for me, I'll be telling anyone who wants to listen about what a nice guy he is.

I'm glad you had a good experience with Carl Froch. Don't get me wrong he wasn't rude or anything just didn't overly take to him. I suppose that's the good thing about these events. Everybody gets to meet different people and have different experiences with them. I'm pleased you had a good chat with him.

waited most of the day to get Anthony Joshua,go fobbed off with a "be back after lunch but there is no guarantee you will get him due to photoshoot"

not surprised really as I noticed as usual the dealers who had managed to have a thousand and one gloves and shorts to sign,,,unbelievable! I thought it was supposed to be 5 items not fifty??????99% of people attend these shows with 1 or maybe two items,pay a lot of money to travel and then spend all day waiting for someone with a tonne full of sports direct bags or boxes.if they have got enough money to buy all that gear then perhaps they could have a private signing with whoever.

Edited by malc75
  • Like 3

My husband is a big boxing fan and the main reason for him attending this Collectormania was the fantastic line up of top quality boxing guests. Having spoken at length about our Saturday experience I would agree wholeheartedly with everything that has been expressed on this thread. He was stuck behind at least THREE lots of dealers getting umpteen items autographed. Although this did not detract from his experience with any of the sportsmen, we can see how some people may be cheesed off by it.