Printing own photos..

Sorry to ask again, thanks to some great info in another post, ive managed to find some hi res photos i want printed, can anyone advise were is good to go to get 10x8 photos printed on good quality paper to use for autographs? any high street shops, supermarkets that are worth checking out??? all i can think of is BOOTS and ASDA??

i was going to get them from photobox but theres 2 photos i need for milton keynes on saturday so might not arrive intime now, so wanted to see if i can get them printed somewhere else where ican get the prints straight away~??

thanks guys

You can get them printed at those places but the 8x10 sizes usually take an hour or so to do, or at least that's what they will tell you to do and come back later on. If it's clearly a photo from a TV show or movie you might get someone who moans and asks if you have permission to use the photo or if you personally took the photo, if that is the case just ask for your money back and go to a photo shop and get it done. Ordering online is never a problem though but as you say you might not have time unless you order online and ask to collect the photos in person on the day.

Some of the Morrisons near me have Kodak machines to print photos but most supermarkets when you want sizes 8x10 and above will do it themselves, not the machine and that's why there can be a waiting time.

• Like 1

If the OP can wait until Friday, DSColourLabs would definitely be a recommendation of mine. My brother and I ordered ours on Sunday night (after midnight) and got them in the post yesterday, they are VERY fast. The paper and print quality is exceptional, if you care about quality.

Personally I've only used snappy snaps once before to print pictures and the print and paper quality was very poor, so unless they've improved over the last few years I'd go with DSColourLabs. If you ordered today you'd get them on Friday.

Max Spielmann are the worst.

Just get from them from photobox, standard delivery normally comes 2 days after purchasing and next day is well next day. Don't give up on quality because of waiting for the post. You'd get them by Friday if you ordered now.

Yeah was looking at DSCOLOURLabs, but i only want 2 prints and postage is 3.99 for regular first class, the order is only £1.09. Thats why i was looking at places i can actually go to to get them rather then post because the post costs dont make it worth it. I think ill use DSCOLOUR LABS for some prints for julys LFCC though.

You can get them printed at those places but the 8x10 sizes usually take an hour or so to do, or at least that's what they will tell you to do and come back later on. If it's clearly a photo from a TV show or movie you might get someone who moans and asks if you have permission to use the photo or if you personally took the photo, if that is the case just ask for your money back and go to a photo shop and get it done. Ordering online is never a problem though but as you say you might not have time unless you order online and ask to collect the photos in person on the day.

If your photo is obviously from a film/TV etc, be prepared to be denied unless you can prove you have copyright. My mother works in an Asda photoshop and if she gets caught printing copyrighted photos she can be fined thousands of pounds, go to court and lose her job. If you "get someone who moans and asks", it's because they would rather be working than on benefits and are therefore ensuring they work within the law.

Understandable, Dont you print the image yourself though in asda etc, i thought you uploaded the image yourself on the machine via memory stick etc?

If your photo is obviously from a film/TV etc, be prepared to be denied unless you can prove you have copyright. My mother works in an Asda photoshop and if she gets caught printing copyrighted photos she can be fined thousands of pounds, go to court and lose her job. If you "get someone who moans and asks", it's because they would rather be working than on benefits and are therefore ensuring they work within the law.

Asda do not allow you to print photos you don't have copyright © too. Also you cannot print a 10/8 on their machine as it's too big so you have to go to the counter. Even if you put them through the machine and you get a reciept to collect them won't print them. Basically any with celebrities in. I have tried lately for a group shoot and it had me in it lol, so don't go there. Jessops did though no questions but I think they were £4 each. But the quality was excellent.

It's amazing how some don't and some do. It's either the law or pettiness!

Edited by lesleynile
  • Like 1

I could try jessops then. whats the quality like for their 10x8s and did you order online and pick up instore or just take a memory stick in with the images??

anyone tried boots?

Asda do not allow you to print photos you don't have copyright © too. Also you cannot print a 10/8 on their machine as it's too big so you have to go to the counter. Even if you put them through the machine and you get a reciept to collect them won't print them. Basically any with celebrities in. I have tried lately for a group shoot and it had me in it lol, so don't go there. Jessops did though no questions but I think they were £4 each. But the quality was excellent.

I took a memory stick in and dud it in the machine and then to the desk. You can print a 10/8 at machines there as I think there too big. I got mine in half an hour as they weren't but. I was having copies of photos already printed from a convention. So the quality was perfect to start withered as one from the net might not be as perfect.

I could try jessops then. whats the quality like for their 10x8s and did you order online and pick up instore or just take a memory stick in with the images??

anyone tried boots?

• 7 months later...

I would highly recommend Photobox - you do it all online, just upload your images to them and you can have them printed in whatever size or orientation you want, with matte or gloss options. I always go for matte since it doesn't fingermark like gloss does. The results have always been top notch and I've had Helen Slater, Slavitza Jovan and even Juliet Landau autograph 8x10s which I've had done there. The prices aren't too bad either.

Edited by SilvaNemesis

• 2 weeks later...

I've used Asda for a couple of years and printed film posters/film stills/celebrities etc no problem. Must just be your branch. What if you're standing next to a film poster, or even next to a celebrity, they won't even print that? That's harsh man!