Conversations with guests

I had my longest chat with Bernard Cribbins , he was really intrested that I came all the way from Luxembourg, to get a picture with him and to have my Doctor Who DVD signed. So he was talking about his own travels to Luxembourg. Great guy :)

And I had a nice chat with Curtis Armstrong, who started the conversation actually with me on a break with Oh I love the smell of nerds on a sunny afternoon XD

Ah yes, Bernard Cribbins was great. I remember. I don't know Doctor Who (we don't get in Switzerland and is unknow over her) but we talked about his Alfred Hitchcock experience in "Frenzy" and this was by far cool.

I missed Curtis Armstrong... gggrrrr but he wasn't really on my priority list which I had last time :angel:

A selected few guests you dont have to worry about what to say, but they dont grow on trees the ones that talk to you and run the talk for you. (John ryhs davis is a perfect example of this! )

Oh yeah, he's a chatty one. He was telling me how I need to have at least three kids when I have kids, lol. And he's a tickler in the photo shoot, lol.

My first encounter, though, I had so much trouble getting my voice to work, I was completely star struck (however I met the same guest 8 years later and managed to hold a proper conversation with her, lol)

One problem I have is with my first name, sometimes they don't always catch it right away or if they do they might not spell it right because there's two ways of spelling it and not many spell it the way I do so that can be a problem. I've actually noticed the spelling I use is the way a lot of Scottish people spell it compared to the rest of the world.

I was exactly the same to a point where my best friend had to speak for me on my behalf, although he did ask if my name had a e in it or not.

Met the same guest quite a few years down the line and was able to have a little conversation :)

I've usually found that if i say my name then a few of the guests will say " with or without a e"...although i did have one guest ask "with or without a y" once.

A selected few guests you don't have to worry about what to say, but they don't grow on trees the ones that talk to you and run the talk for you. (John ryhs davis is a perfect example of this! )

Oh yeah, he's a chatty one. He was telling me how I need to have at least three kids when I have kids, lol. And he's a tickler in the photo shoot, lol.

When i met him he tried tickling me under the chin. I had asked if it was OK to have a photo and that was the result of it lol. He also commented on my hair colour(i have ginger/auburn hair).

It varies from "Hi" to what felt like, since I didn't time it, an half hour conversation with Ian Beattie at last years LFCC (seriously wonderful guest and as much of a fan as we are). Usually I try to think of a quick question I can ask at the table and then it'll depend on the answer if the conversation keeps on going. Some guests are busy and give a short answer stopping conversation immediately, others start whole stories and just keep on going because they are so excited to be there.

I do usually try to keep the time spent short though, as there usually are tons of fans behind me who are also waiting for their turn and having been in the queue myself I can understand how very annoying it is if the queue just doesn't move because someone at the front is keeping the guest busy for what feels like hours...

Oh come on lol. We had this talk before. You can't go and spend all that money then cut your time short to suit the people behind you. Do you think they would do the same for you? Do you think they would spend money and say oooh I better not say anything, i better pay my money so that guy behind me can talk instead. Come on. You can't go through life putting everyone else first. You need to live. Trust me, look out for yourself because no one else will, especially the people in these ques, if you're having a conversation then you have a conversation for as long as the guest wants to talk cause that's what you're there for.

And i'd say that to anyone else. You're not travelling all the way to London to suit other people. You're there to enjoy it yourself. I know people online like to say they are your friends and this and that and we're all one big happy family but when it comes to attending these shows we are all individuals. Even me, who can run into issues with guests not understanding my accent, even I want to leave having had some kind of experience with the guests and leave with an impression of them. That's why I always get a handshake, I always say hello and have some kind of question so that there is at least something of an experience to leave with. I wouldn't deliberately hold up a que but if a guest did get into a conversation I would keep it going, why would i stop it if the guest is happy to chat? Even the shyest of people want something to go home with. They've made the effort to go.

It's the same reason why I always get photos at the table rather than photoshoots. It might be a bit wonky or not as flattering but at least if i get pictures with the guests at their table at least they know my name, i'm not standing in a line where i'm just another face in the crowd, whether they can spell my name or pronounce it or whatever at least they know it, I'd rather have a terrible picture, i'd rather have a picture where i've messed up taking it and half my face isn't it just because at least I know I spoke to that person, i introduced myself, i had a chat, i shook their hand meeting them, i shook their hand saying goodbye, i had some contact with them and we spoke and made eye contact and it was real and tangible. If i went into a que thinking about who was behind me I wouldn't get that. And people on here will say ooooh you can't do that with the big stars. If you're there early enough you can.

I used to have to do that with the staff and spell it out but I think i'll just take some post its with me and have my name on it and my phone number.......no i'm just joking! I think all the guests i'm meeting will do personalizations, suppose we'll see. I'm only there for the day.

• Like 2

My top 3 stories

Carl Weathers:

I walked over and said "hi I love all your classics like, rocky, predator and the rest but to me happy Gilmore is the funniest film I have ever seen."

He just started laughing and telling stories about how every day of filming they would be howling. He talked for ages.

James marsters:

The 2 people in front of me, 1st gives him a load of gifts, next gets into a conversation about moisturising. So I walk over and say "I might as well leave now, I have no gifts and don't moisturise, so I have nothing to offer you". He points to the right and says "get out" he then starts proper laughing. Then we start chatting about buffy comics and he tells me this awesome joss whedon story.

Jason Mewes

Take my clerks t-shirt

• Like 2

To get signed and he jumps up and says " I've never seen that one, it's awesome." He talks for a bit then signs "I eat ass, snootch. Jason Mewes"

Then when I get my photo shoot, I walk in and he points at me and goes. " still love that t-shirt"

• Like 2

My fav people I met are Sean Astin, Corey Feldman, Elijah Wood, Andy Serkis and Billy Boyd. All were lovely with loads to say, conversations I can still remember to this day. i even got a chance to spend some time with Andy Serkis and Billy Boyd at an LFCC I worked at years ago, was a great day. My favourite person who I've met outside a con and who I keep in contact with is James McAvoy, he is a true sweetheart and always makes time for people. When he found out about my acting he talked to me for ages and has offered to give me advise on my acting when I need it. That I still can't believe it as I was a fan and admired his work for years. Some people say don't meet your heroes as they can disappoint and there has been a couple in the past that perhaps weren't talkative but they are only human and have bad days too. Always just be yourself and live in the moment, never plan too much on what to say as it can sound false, just go with it! ;)

• Like 2

My top 3 stories

Carl Weathers:

I walked over and said "hi I love all your classics like, rocky, predator and the rest but to me happy Gilmore is the funniest film I have ever seen."

He just started laughing and telling stories about how every day of filming they would be howling. He talked for ages.

James marsters:

The 2 people in front of me, 1st gives him a load of gifts, next gets into a conversation about moisturising. So I walk over and say "I might as well leave now, I have no gifts and don't moisturise, so I have nothing to offer you". He points to the right and says "get out" he then starts proper laughing. Then we start chatting about buffy comics and he tells me this awesome joss whedon story.

Jason Mewes

Take my clerks t-shirt

James Marsters is really cool IMO, really down to earth, which surprised me considering how popular he is.

• Like 1

I've not studied English language at school and what I know , I've learned by myself translating english articles from magazines, reading books ( with Vocabulary at my side ) and listening movies in original language, for years.

So, I can hardly take a conversation with an actor due : my limited experiences with "talk-in-english" , my emotion at the meeting ......so, I usually start with a handshake and "Hi! Nice to meet you!! I come from Italy" - or " So happy to see you here !"

On past LFCC I met Jamie Bamber and I had ready in my mind a short "congratulation-phrase" to tell him. When I said him I was Italian, he started to speak MY language , very fluently!!!!! :eek: In fact , he said me he studied Italian in a city near to my city, in North-Italy . I was almost shocked! So, we started to speak in Italian and I said him how I appreciated his role in "Law & Order UK" Tv-serie. Jamie thanked me and I was really happy because he kindly accepted to take a pic with me at the table! YAI !!! :dance:

I had another brief conversation with Scott Bakula at "Destination Star Trek - London" Con. but it was very short ( I gave him a little gift, and he thanked me, and after his autograph on the Archer pic I gave him, he looked at my T-Shirt - with the Enterprise cast printed on it- and he told me "nice shirt!" I thanked him and wished him a nice trip to his home. He shook my hand ......and ........goodbye...... :WAVE:

I would like to ask questions , but ......I can't.....BTW, I can listen and try to understand all the words.

• Like 2

I gotta say my best experiences with guests have been with Robert Englund, Lance henrikson, ernie hudson, bruce campbell, dirk benedict, robert knepper and john amos. All those guys took lots of time to chat with me, i was nervous each time when i walked upto the table but was so relaxed once they got chatting, it is hard to think of something to say instead of just 'love your work' then thats it lol. always nice i think to maybe talk about 1 specific role they did.

When i met bruce campbell, everyone were having ASH evil dead stuff signed and i had a Bubba ho tep picture to sign so he got real excited when i gave him that, so naturally we spoke about that movie and him as elvis.

Ernie Hudson was even better, i gave him a photo to sign that he had never seen before of a ghostbusters 2 still and he was so excited and asked if he could have a copy, so after he signed it he gave me a business card with im assuming his or assistants email on to contact him about sending the print to him,...i was gobsmacked!!

when i met john amos i just told him how much i loved him in coming to america, and how that film just makes me laugh and cheers me up when i have bad times and he smiled and was so gratious, then he went into character and completely recited the 'stay off the drugs' speech he says to eddie murphy in the movie...so funny.

Edited by teabelly83
  • Like 1

I gotta say my best experiences with guests have been with Robert Englund, Lance henrikson, ernie hudson, bruce campbell, dirk benedict, robert knepper and john amos. All those guys took lots of time to chat with me, i was nervous each time when i walked upto the table but was so relaxed once they got chatting, it is hard to think of something to say instead of just 'love your work' then thats it lol. always nice i think to maybe talk about 1 specific role they did.

When i met bruce campbell, everyone were having ASH evil dead stuff signed and i had a Bubba ho tep picture to sign so he got real excited when i gave him that, so naturally we spoke about that movie and him as elvis.

Ernie Hudson was even better, i gave him a photo to sign that he had never seen before of a ghostbusters 2 still and he was so excited and asked if he could have a copy, so after he signed it he gave me a business card with im assuming his or assistants email on to contact him about sending the print to him,...i was gobsmacked!!

when i met john amos i just told him how much i loved him in coming to america, and how that film just makes me laugh and cheers me up when i have bad times and he smiled and was so gratious, then he went into character and completely recited the 'stay off the drugs' speech he says to eddie murphy in the movie...so funny.

Bruce campbell is my idol and some day i hope to have the chance to meet him, and if that day comes my question will be about his work on a 1989 film sundown vampire in retreat and what was it like on set because its never spoken about and its such a we hidden gem of a film but ofcourse my all time favourite movies is the evil dead franchise.

• Like 1

He's such a great guest, i do hope to meet him again one day as he was so much fun at the photoshoot too,.he insists on props too so dont forget your boomstick ;)

Bruce campbell is my idol and some day i hope to have the chance to meet him, and if that day comes my question will be about his work on a 1989 film sundown vampire in retreat and what was it like on set because its never spoken about and its such a we hidden gem of a film but ofcourse my all time favourite movies is the evil dead franchise.

Edited by teabelly83

To go the opposite direction, at Cardiff earlier this year I went on the Sunday to get Fintan McKeown's autograph for my Game of Thrones poster; I approached his table, noticing that he didn't look all that social and gave a polite hello. He just about returned the favour, at which point our verbal interaction ceased. He took my poster from me, scanned it for a bit, put his pen to the paper, then rather look at me for conversation he opted to literally sit and watch the ink dry (maybe I have one of those faces that prompts anti-socialness in others). At this point I was a bit put off by this, and was actually quite scared to break his concentration to ask for it back ("it's alright Mr McKeown, actually you keep it"). He eventually looked back up with a slight stare before sliding it back across the table. Out of nowhere I found a 'thanks' to offer to him before quickly making haste - so fast I actually power-walked past the Tywin Lannister Funko Pop I had fully intended to purchase.

I can appreciate not every guest is going to be overly chatty, and maybe I need to take more intiative and start a conversation, but at that point I found I lost any words to say to him, and walking out felt a bit robbed that I had paid £10 for a guest to look at my poster and ignore me an autograph.

It's always a good strategy to comment on other things they've done, whether it's getting something different signed or commenting on a role that they aren't as known for. When I went to meet Anthony Steward Head, I think most of the others got something signed from Buffy or Merlin. I decided instead to bring my copy of "True Horrors with Anthony Head", a documentary series he had done about the occult, that I had randomly stumbled upon in a shop some years back. And we had a nice exchange about the series, and especially about the zombie-themed episode that had really creeped me out, lol.

At Cardiff Film and Comic Con last year I got an autograph from John Rhys-Davies and he was amazing. He was chatting to every fan and was taking twice/three times as long to sign. When it was my turn I asked how his day was going and he said he was really enjoying himself and then he asked my name and what I did for a job, I told him and he asked why I wanted that job ect. Then he asked me if there was anything I wanted to ask him so I asked what character he most enjoyed playing. He said it was difficult to choose because each one was special but he did not enjoy the beard he had to wear when he played Gimli in The Lord of the Rings. He was so friendly, polite and genuinely pleased to meet all his fans.

At last years LFCC I got an autograph with David Hewlett and he was also very friendly and was having a laugh with each fan, he was commenting on people's t-shirts and stuff it was really funny. When it was my turn he asked me what my name was and said that the print I chose for him to sign (Rodney from Stargate Atlantis) was one of his favourites because he thought he looked like James Bond! He asked what I liked about the character and I said I loved how logical he is and how he always used knowledge to fix things or get out of situations. He then signed my picture writing my name and "it's all in the brains!" and then his signature.

I know not all guests are this friendly and that this is mostly because they are very busy but when you do get this kind of experience it is amazing :)

• Like 2

Even after all these years I still dry up in front of guests and can't manage more than a "Hello!", confirmation of my name as required and "Thank you, lovely to meet you," but if I can get something out and the guest is receptive or the guest says something to me and I manage to reply coherently, we can have a decent conversation (still brief, mind, but decent).

My first two major meetings (Terry Pratchett and Michael Ironside) were hideously embarrassing because they were both lovely and tried to talk to me and I was completely star-struck (yes, after literally hours of rehearsing what to say). I'm glad to say I managed to have a much better chat with Michael at a subsequent event, at least.

Some of the chattier encounters I've had at signing events have been with people like Robert Englund, John Rhys Davies, Misha Collins, Owen Teale, JG Hertzler, TJ Thyne, Laura Pradelska, Joanna Cassidy, Sean Astin, Morgan Sheppard, Phil LaMarr, Nicholas Lea, Ross Mullan, Christopher Heyerdahl, Miltos Yerolemou and Glenn Morshower. And of course all the lovely actors I've met at Gold Pass receptions during the Massive Events cons, having been fortified by rather a lot of Wine... :D

@fantasyfan: I had similar experience. Im also foreign speaking (german) and never had english in the school. The most of my english learned it with watching movies, reading movies and chat. I start my conversation with my name and where I come from. Most of the guest talking how beautiful my country is and some guest are starting to speak in german. Nicholas Lea talked about that he went climbing in the mountains, Charlie Brewley went snowboarding, Mitch Pileggi answered in german.

Wayne Northrop who played the Chauffeur Michael in "Dynasty" answered in german with "Guten Tag, wie gehts?". I asked you: You speak german? He: Ja. Me: How come's that you speak german? He: I've lived for a couple months in Munich and travel around. Where do you come frome? Me: "Switzerland, in the north... close Lake of Constace / Rhinefall"

He: Oh yes... I know that area... I've been there at the Rhinefall... very lovely place.

Another actor from Star Wars Universum also answered in german. Jamie Bamber speaks also French because he lived there.

Gordon Thompson from Dynasty is Canadian.. so spoke some in French/English.

LOL, at all.. its fun to talk with the guests sometime. Trina Parks from "Diamonds are Forever" said that she loves Switzerland is visiting it sometime. I said to her...next we should meet for a dinner. She smiled.

Sometime of course I forget english words or question I've prepared but well... at all.. its fun

And yes: a good strategy is not only talking about about their most famous parts like in a Star Wars movie, Star Trek... also other things. When I talked to Billy Dee Williams - who did looks tired and answered "tired" of this "Lando" part... I changed to "Dynasty". He looked then up and talked that he loved to play in that show together with Diahann Caroll.

Also Levar Burton was very happy that I noticed his part in "Roots" and Patrick Stewart in "Jeffrey" and "Little Lord Pontleroy". Patrick was very happy about that I know also his other roles.

Kate Mulgrew was very happy about that I noticed her in "Dallas" (in the original) and Glenn Morshower last year freaked almost out, that I noticed him also in Dallas where he had one of his earliest acting role.

Same with Ben Browder in "Melrose Place". He said: oh my godness.. that was long time ago... I guess im going to be old now.

Edited by Swissangel4616
  • Like 1

Well swissangel if we manage to meet at the convention by coincidence , we could speak german together ;)

But yes it is really as everyone says, there are the chatty ones, and the few who have even the problem to say hi. Due to my former job I've met a lot of musicians, they always like to chat a lot. I had for example with Curtis Stigers and Gregory Porter a few drinks after the concerts, that was always fun. And I met once a german singer at Munich airport, I was dared to talk to him, because I do not really like that kind of music he does, and then he started talking to me for half an hour.

• Like 1

my favorites thus far are Thomas Dekker and Brian Krause.

Thomas I had a chat with about angels crest and him working with the same director and all. the next day my friend needed an autograph to so I joined her by his table and i still had to hand him my gift and he remembered me. that was such an awesome moment :D during the photo op he remembered me to and said Hey You :D yeah fab guest, so sweet.

Then Brian Krause. first off that heart warming hug I got during my Photo, Memory still makes me smile to date :D when we went for the autograph I got another hug and we chatted a bit and i told him my name and how I came from The Netherlands, he told me to pronounce my name in my home language. wI then told him I always used to have this big crush and he just went 'Aww' and when we left, got another hug <3 he just wow, i love him as a guest.

• Like 1

Of course you can Jim. Ask them next time you're at a show. Go on Youtube and you'll see lots of stuff people have filmed at shows whether it's interviews, messages for your website/youtube channel, message for someone who couldn't be there.

Ah nice one, I just assumed they wouldn't be allowed to for contractual reasons or something. I actually have a Youtube channel with videos I film at Comic Con so a video message from a guest would be an awesome touch! Thanks for the advice. :D