Arrival time?

Hi

Looking for some advice on when is best to arrive at the venue on the saturday?

Im assuming it will be very busy and with doors opening at 9 there will eb people queuing before then....

Bearing in mind we have many guests we want to meet and therefore get virtual tickets for - What time would you suggest is good to arrive and get in the queue to be near to the front to get in when doors open at 9?

Any advice from regulars would be greatly appreciated!

thanks

D

The best advice I can give is to get there as early as you can and are willing to. I've never arrived before 8 am but have always been a fair way back at that time. I've heard of people being there from 7 am and maybe even earlier. The earlier you get there, the sooner you get in and are able to get VQ tickets to meet the guest you want to.

Edited by Wrong Name

I've got a Basic Entry pass and was aiming to get there for 8/8:30am as I'm driving from Basingstoke to the Olympia Hilton Hotel.

Man, maybe I should arrive earlier then as it seems it's get's packed pretty soon but I don't have a HUGE list of guests I'm aiming for!

*first time convention panic*

Some people either camp out the night or get there between 6 and 7 am

Which is a very very small group of early birds only IF it happens. Unless I missed a massive camp out overnight with Stan Lee last year that part hasn't even actually happened. Don't make people worry unnecessarily.

• Like 5

Which is a very very small group of early birds only IF it happens. Unless I missed a massive camp out overnight with Stan Lee last year that part hasn't even actually happened. Don't make people worry unnecessarily.

I think the rules of the game have changed with the new venue and diamond status, and well as no on the day sales - its hard to see how it will run.

AFAIK there's no gates on the venue, that may have limited pre-queues before. With diamonds, the more wealthy or dedicated will just pay that, others will chance it on the day as usual and have to queue early. Due to the diamonds, that chance is greatly reduced. Only one queue of limited numbers will mean everyone is in quicker, but it does mean some of us have lost our advantage of joining a shorter pay on the day queue, instead having to join one long one.

Personally, the only rarer person to tempt me at present (I really must buy a ticket!) is Michael Gambon, but at that price I won't mind if I miss it. To be honest if I did mind the last thing I'd do would be encouraging everyone else to be queuing up in front of me!

Perhaps different entrances for different guests (like at Milton Keynes) would be an advantage.

Depending on the weather, I'll probably queue an hour earlier than I've queued before.

Edited by TerraHawk

I'm absolutely with you on the situation being different now. Still this is no reason to scare attendees (and again we have a lot of new ones) by claiming things that never happened before.

If someone believes a claim that a large number of people regularly pulled an allnighter in the old situation that could easily lead to 500 people doing it now because they're worried it will only be worse now - when in fact as hanoigrillo said a handful of people have done it, once.

• Like 3

im not just saying some people did which they didn't really need to

• Moderators

im not just saying some people did which they didn't really need to

I don't think in all the years I've gone I've ever know anyone actually camp overnight, get there very early yes but not camp out.

In the last two years at Earls Court there have been people there from 6am waiting for the outer gates to open. Not sure what time they would have arrived but I know because I got there at 6am.

We aren't talking huge numbers though, maybe 50 or so. Certainly no need to go that early but it would be downright lies to say there wasn't people there really early and we filmed it so have video evidence :)

I suspect this post will be deleted.

guess i'll try and get there around 7 or 7:30, what i really need is a map of where the guests are so i can make beelines to the right place instead of floundering around in the crush!

I doubt SM even know this until the day. And they often move guests around on different days or even half way through so it's be a bit of a pain to keep up to date.

One thing I would like to see this year is a heavier presence of Showmasters crew outside alongside the event/venue staff before entry time.

I joined the Stan Lee queue last year and the venue security/staff made us climb through the metal barrier onto the disabled access ramp and then let people queue where we were standing originally.

Also inside last year lots of people were sitting on the floor in the photoshoot queuing areas, this caused extra congestion and I feel the use of tensabarriers to keep the queues more ordered would be better than the usual tape on the floor.

I know its a different venue this year so hopefully these issues will be addressed.

I've got a Basic Entry pass and was aiming to get there for 8/8:30am as I'm driving from Basingstoke to the Olympia Hilton Hotel.

Man, maybe I should arrive earlier then as it seems it's get's packed pretty soon but I don't have a HUGE list of guests I'm aiming for!

*first time convention panic*

With a basic ticket I always tend to aim for about an hour and a half before it opens, just to get a chance to get inside in good time and scope out the venue inside. As its Olympia this year, it'll be laid out differently to previous years, so it will help to be able to navigate for later in the day.

One thing I would like to see this year is a heavier presence of Showmasters crew outside alongside the event/venue staff before entry time.

I couldn't agree more with this statement. Lack of staff equals lack of organisation with the queue. Hopefully Showmasters have learnt from shows past with regards to this and that a heavier staff presence is required outside before show time.

AFAIK there's no gates on the venue, that may have limited pre-queues before.

Unless it's changed since I last worked a show there the only gated area is the exhibitors entrance and the gate staff won't let you in without an exhibitor pass.