Sherlocked Feedback thread

Kialna

Hi all,

I figured as it was a first time thing, there are always things that can be improved. I visited all three days and I have some slight improvement ideas for the crew.

• Make sure there's a seating area with tables and chairs. Sitting on the floor is not always comfortable, and it's always nice to be able to sit somewhere with tables. The area near the cab had enough space for a few tables and chairs. Even if it's just for people to read something or relax. It's an idea and the people leaving the mainstage rarely clogged the 'red carpet'. So that would be a nice improvement, albeit small.
  • Activities that aren't about autographs or photo-ops. I attended as cosplayer and didn't really do the autograph or photoshoot thing. However, if you did none of those, or didn't have the money to go to talks either, the Con was pretty...empty. I did go to the free talk of Danny and it was great! I loved it. The Bakerstreet Babes had a shooting thing which was really fun. There was the Sherlock Network app. However, for future ideas, maybe add in some more challenges/games. Doesn't have to be sherlock related. A shooting rig is fun, but maybe also do some area for throwing skills, or just a puzzle. On Sunday I did get approached for the 'real life' sherlock the network game. Very good start, I had to decline due to the Costume parade.
  • Make sure the Costume parade/Cosplay parade is clear and work with pre-registration. Quite some people were confused about it and we were waiting for an online form to fill in our skits and details so we could practice. Instead, we got approached on the days themselves. I quickly managed to get my skit done, but if the music hadn't been on youtube, I wouldn't have, as I don't live in London. Again, tiny thing, but might make things a bit more streamlined.
  • Last but not at least; I was at the party on friday and I was surprised. It wasn't as party-like as I expected. So little people, and the DJ's didn't seem to be amusing themselves at all. I understand the parties were part of a package, but some people wanted to go to the parties as well, but couldn't because gold and up was too expensive. However, had there been loose tickets for the parties, you may get more people in. In fact, you can make one party 'exclusive' with the guests and everything, make it that 'select group' and have a free party in the other room for regular attendees, without the guests. (unless the guests themselves want to go, but I can't imagine that easily) That'd make it a bigger success and the bar will be happy with you.

These are my main points. A minor point would be to spell-check all books, sheets and information boards. ;)

Other than all of these things, I had an amazingly fun time, enjoyed myself thoroughly and hope to see you again.

kind regards,

Kialna *bow*

• Like 2

Re: Having tables and chairs inside the hall.... that may be something out of Showmasters control. The ExCel centre probably want people to come outside and use their food and drink outlets. I've been to other events at the ExCel and they don't have any seating, tables or food stalls inside the halls.

We managed to get seats and a table outside, even during the busy lunch periods.

The only thing lacking at the event was communication between crew at times. In particular those running the Louise Brealey auto queue on Sunday and those working the main hall on Saturday. Other than that no complaints at all.

Re: Having tables and chairs inside the hall.... that may be something out of Showmasters control. The ExCel centre probably want people to come outside and use their food and drink outlets. I've been to other events at the ExCel and they don't have any seating, tables or food stalls inside the halls.

We managed to get seats and a table outside, even during the busy lunch periods.

During other events they do though. It is possible, but it might be limited indeed. But it's a lot more comfortable than the floor. Or they should use fatboys next time :) (beware; never do a bellyflop in them...might hurt)

Something else I thought of; workshops by actual detectives or people working in forensics and stuff, might wash on some new students who are interested in it. And maybe Danny from RealSFX could also do a workshop next year in, par example, how to make a mold of an ear or something. Make-up department giving you cuts and bruises... just some things I'm randomly thinking of and throwing in.

Note that these are not complaints, but ideas to improve. I've had a blast :)

As a graduate of both Policing and Forensics degrees - those kind of workshops are fun and yes lifting your first print is a buzz but give completely the wrong idea to people looking to get into that field. I can't tell you the number of people who after just a few months at Uni realised that life as a scenes of crime officer or forensics analyst is nothing at all like CSI or Sherlock and dropped out... shame really, cause if you know what you're getting into, criminal investigation is never dull.

My suggestions would be to extend it over the entire 3 days, not cram it all into 2 days, and have fewer guests. I was Platinum and had to pass up photos and autographs, and panels, to squeeze everything in. I saw nothing of the second stage or the auctions, which I would have loved to attend.

And more consistent training for the crew. I got conflicting answers depending on whose line I was in for autographs; apparently some policies were not clear to some crew.

I thought for the most part it was run well and I got plenty for my money. I hope the next one is either in the US, or at a time I can make it back to London.

They didn't have much choice in the date they picked for this event as it all had to be done then or not at all. Personally the Marathon didn't affect me at all. None of the trains I got on were full even though thre where lots of us and runners going to the same place.

I don't know the ins and outs of the scheduling, and the marathon didn't really affect me save having to travel back early Sunday to avoid a potential mad rush later in the day. However, Excel got awful busy at times and ideally the marathon could gave been avoided...

For photoshoots (and this is for big events in general) I'd consider a tape/posts management system as opposed to a white-tape on floor one...

And at the start of queue entry a telescopic white/sign board. High enough so people can see what numbers/batches they are up to.

• Like 2

For photoshoots (and this is for big events in general) I'd consider a tape/posts management system as opposed to a white-tape on floor one...

And at the start of queue entry a telescopic white/sign board. High enough so people can see what numbers/batches they are up to.

Fantastic idea. Poor beardy man Photo 1 voice. <3

• 3 weeks later...

My main complain was the communication and information. Buying the more pricey passes was like a lottery, you practically bought a pig in a poke. As some of you might remember I was begging for any information on the VIP stuff and got it on tuesday before the event. I mean would it be really too much to have some people exclusively answering questions of those who paid a great sums of money, and give us schedule information beforehand? I didn't know anything: how long it would take, would it take place during the event's timeframe or outside of it, an information how many VIPs there are wouldn't be bad either.

The information you could read before buying a pass was really sparse, and not having any updates left much too much space for speculations and worries, and maybe too high expectations. I know that there are always changes possible, but I would really appreciate an information like: we intend to do this and that, and it probably will look this and that way... so we'd had at least an idea what to expect. It would save me some sleepless nights for sure.

I was surely expecting more from the John Watson exhibit and the parties, but these points were adressed already.

Just an idea:

having a lottery where one can win some higher priced passes and photoshoot/signing tickets would be really nice.

I had a Gold Package for the weekend, in terms of suggestions:

- I would agree to spread over 3 days, had taken the day off on the Friday anyway but other than the registration in the day not much else going on, so could have been an opportunity to spread out the guests, talks etc over a third day to make it slightly less frenetic the other two days. Everything worked in the end, but there were some tough decisions , particularly around talks that I would have liked to have attended but had to miss with clashes.

- Extra chairs/tables always good, must be getting older !

- More information on where some of the guests were and where they were signing, I managed to track down Danny Hargreaves and Arwel Jones myself, but took a fair bit of time and the Crew , including the Red Shirt on the signing area didn't know where they were and neither did the Crew on the Info Desk when I asked.

Overall, though I would say one of the best run events I have been too, considering the number of talks, photoshoots, signings etc that were packed in to essentially two days.

Oh, yes, does anybody know how many people attended the Con?

I second that. Good placed visual information works much better, especially in such noisy environment.

And I hope "Poor beardy man" has his voice back.

Annoyingly I did hear Mark Gattis ask about attendance numbers on the Sunday afternoon when I was waiting for his signature, someone did confirm it but I can't remember what the answer was.

I'm not sure physical queue barriers would be such a great idea, if you think of cases where they say ask for the next 25 people to join the line if everyone had to funnel through one opening to join the queue I could see it getting a bit messy, when there is nothing physical in the way people could just step in without too much hassle. It does rely on everyone playing by the rules of course but I didn't get a great sense of too much deliberate queue jumping going on over the weekend.

Edited by Count Fooku