What comics are you all reading ?

GoldenGreen

There are a lot of titles out there at the moment, but wondered what people would recommed ? I am just getting back into comics after a few years away so am a bit out of touch with what is hot at the moment or maybe some more off beat or obscure comics that people are reading.

Any recommendations ?

Previously I have read things like Supergirl, Resurrection Man, Deadpool, Lobo, but open to any suggestions.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

X-Men's getting decent again after a rather iffy period. Xtreme X-Men has some superb artwork (it's a shame they're cancelling that) and Uncanny seems to be getting over the melodrama stage. The reshuffle they're doing of characters and writers and artists and stuff seems like it's going to produce some great stuff.

I don't know about anything else really....the greats of course will always be a good read...Spiderman, Batman etc etc

Thanks.

I never really got into the X Men comics, enjoyed the films though.

I gave up on the Spiderman comics after all the clone stuff and the real spidey actually being Ben Riley and then he wasn't . Does anyone know what happened to the Peter and Mary-Jane's baby that was abducted from the hospital I think a while back ?

I did pick up a couple of old Star Wars graphic novels recently which I quite enjoyed.

In the meantime I have been checking out IDW comics and reading the Shield (based on the TV series) and Silent Hill (based on the game) along with DC's Superman and Bataman comic. I Might give IDW's 30 Days of Night series a go next.

I gave up on the Spiderman comics after all the clone stuff and the real spidey actually being Ben Riley and then he wasn't . Does anyone know what happened to the Peter and Mary-Jane's baby that was abducted from the hospital I think a while back ?

I think it grows up to be Spider-Girl from that comic book. Can't remember if that has been resolved in the ongoing series so far.

Obi-Wan :lol:

im currently reading a few

Ultimate Spiderman

The Ultimates

Ulitmate Xmen

(these are awesome, i prefer to buy the trade paperbacks as i like to read the story in a batch)

Venom (not too bad, collecting all as i want the entire back catalogue of venom comics, and im not too far away)

Supreme Power (very good comic, a darker rip off of the JLA)

The Pulse (not made up my mind about this yet, but its still early, Ready wanna read the Alias series set before it)

Marvel Knights Spiderman (a bit more gritty, not too bad)

Books that I would highty recomend would be-

BATMAN- just the greatist comic book character there is, and these are the books that show him best

Year One

The Long Halloween

Dark Victory

Bruce Wayne Murder/Fugitive

Arkham Aslylum

Hush

The Preacher series 1-9, just great stuff, adult but fantastic!!! Thou i still have to read book 9!

The lastest run of Amazing Spiderman by Stransinski (poor spelling) Quite entertaining, brings the books back after poor form before

Thats all i can think of at the moe, should keep you going for a while :jason:

Thanks, that has given me plenty of ideas.

@field Posted on Apr 28 2004, 10:15 PM

BATMAN- just the greatist comic book character there is, and these are the books that show him best

Year One

The Long Halloween

Dark Victory

Bruce Wayne Murder/Fugitive

Arkham Aslylum

Hush

I would have to agree with you there. Spidey runs him a close second mind.

I was reading Year One again the other night for the first time in years, it kind of sparked my interest in comics again.

Although a Batman fan, I'm a die hard Spidey fan first. I used to read the Buffy and Angel ones too when they were in publication. Still waiting for the rumoured Alias (tv show) comic book, and as my friend is the writer on the Halloween comics I know there will be more of them to come this year too!

Obi-Wan :D

obi-wan Posted on Apr 29 2004, 06:18 PM

Although a Batman fan, I'm a die hard Spidey fan first. I used to read the Buffy and Angel ones too when they were in publication. Still waiting for the rumoured Alias (tv show) comic book, and as my friend is the writer on the Halloween comics I know there will be more of them to come this year too!

Obi-Wan 

Spidey and the Batman were neck and neck for me until all that clone stuff I mentioned earlier. Do you prefer Batman as a lone crusader or the Batman and Robin stuff. I read Nightwing for a while and ejoyed that. An Alias comic book would be good news, great series. Never read any of the Halloween comics though. Are they basically the films, or have they moved the story on ?

I think Batman really works best as a loner, one man and his many issues. But when you put him in with a team this can sometimes work for the better. In books like bruce wayne murder/fugitive and hush you have supporting characters that add to the many layers he has as a character. He doesnt trust anyone, but he has a whole network of people working for him. He'll never forgive himself for what happened to jason todd, but he allows himself to take on new robins. He is an orphan, yet surrounds himself with a surrogate family. Its when these sides of him come into conflict, thats when you get your best batman stories. The death of Jason todd, not letting anyone help him in murderer, which leads to one of the best comic book moments ever.

*spolier warning*

Bruce Wanye escapes prison and decides not to bother clearing his name, to become Batman forever. He shuts out everyone else and works alone. This leads to doubt as to whether he did actually murderer someone. Yet Nightwing (d*** grayson, who bruce as recently adopted as his son) what have any talk of it.

When Batman come to the cave to clear his stuff out nightwing snaps. It was bruce wayne who had adopted him, and now this identity has just been given up. Does this mean that the adoption meant nothing?

Nightwing attacks Batman, furious, yet Batman wont fight and just keeps avoiding the attacks, only making grayson even more angry. Finally batman does strike and grayson goes to retaliate, but smashes into a display case. Batman disapears and d*** stands there fozen realising what he has done, as the memorial to Jason Todd lies in pieces around him

AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also the JLA tower of Babel another good example, but hey i think i've gone on long enough

• 2 weeks later...

I'm really getting into Star Wars Republic at the moment, I bought myself that Jango Fett graphic novel from a convention this weekend, was sealed so didn't see the art work, bit dissapointed with the brief flick through I had, maybe the story will be better, haven't read it yet.

I love the CSI comics, thats just because I'm a die-hard CSI fan rather than the comics being especially good.

I've been picking up a few of those older Marvel Icons mini series that were out around 2000/1, Rogue, the Thing etc, also, pretty good.

I quite enjoyed the Shield comics recently.

On a sort of related thread, I have my comic collection insured under a special policy as well as under my house insurance, anyone know of any insurance companies which offer policies especially for things like comics/trading cards etc?

Cheers

obi-wan Posted on Apr 29 2004, 06:18 PM

Obi-Wan 

Spidey and the Batman were neck and neck for me until all that clone stuff I mentioned earlier. Do you prefer Batman as a lone crusader or the Batman and Robin stuff. I read Nightwing for a while and ejoyed that. An Alias comic book would be good news, great series. Never read any of the Halloween comics though. Are they basically the films, or have they moved the story on ?

The Halloween series picks up on threads suggested by the films. They are great little comic books. Only 3 were produced by Chaos, (and are becoming collectors items) but my friend Stef Hutchinson has just started a new run beginning with One Good Scare which was available exclusively at the Halloween 25 con. (I believe you can now get this on halloweenmovies.com).

I preferred Batman on his own, as a lone avenger, and am just getting back into his stories in the Batman Legends series, which is currently running the Hush storyline. But I have hardly left Spider-Man, and still prefer Marvel titles to DC. Spider-Man has had it's bad times recently (the whole Jackal Clone saga) being part of it, but it is getting better. I especially enjoy the new Ultimate Spider-Man series putting a whole new spin on events that we are already familiar with.

Obi-Wan :o

Radagast Posted on May 17 2004, 11:05 PM

On a sort of related thread, I have my comic collection insured under a special policy as well as under my house insurance, anyone know of any insurance companies which offer policies especially for things like comics/trading cards etc?

I have been meaning to look into this for a while, every know again I wake up in the middle of the night in a panic wondering about this. Way back I did ask about it with a high street insurer and they wanted to send someone to come and authenticate autos etc . I didn't take it any further as it is pretty hard to prove, although when I get things signed now I try and get a picture of celeb with item if possible. Does anyone else have special insurance for comics, collectables etc ?

I preferred Batman on his own, as a lone avenger, and am just getting back into his stories in the Batman Legends series, which is currently running the Hush storyline. But I have hardly left Spider-Man, and still prefer Marvel titles to DC. Spider-Man has had it's bad times recently (the whole Jackal Clone saga) being part of it, but it is getting better. I especially enjoy the new Ultimate Spider-Man series putting a whole new spin on events that we are already familiar with.

Obi-Wan :o

marvel is definately the better brand, but bats for me is still the best character.

the Ultimate line is very good, it just gives the whole superhero thing a nice edge to it, some awesome quotes too-

tony stark- i'll have a gin and tonic

butler- but its 9am sir

tony stark- not in moscow old boy

Captain America- Surrender? What do you think this 'A' stands for, France?

Jean Grey- ur one of the first people that didnt picture me naked when they first met me

Spidey- (pause)

Jean Grey- until now

Spidey- (pause)

Jean Grey- you done yet?

Spidey- sorry

Jean Grey- (pause)

Spidey- ok now im done :lol:

• 4 weeks later...

hi, i read to many comic books, but heres a list of what i read at the moment:

Marvel - Avengers, Spectacular Spiderman, Venom, Spider-Girl, MK Incredible Hulk, Astonishing Xmen/Xmen/Uncanny Xmen/New Xmen: Academy X/Xmen Unlimited/EXcalibur, FF, MK4, MK Spiderman, MK Wolverine, Ultimates, Ult Spidey, Ult FF, Ult Xmen, Emma Frost.

DC - Batman, Action Comics, Adventures of Superman, Superman, Green Lantern, Flash, JLA, Rose & Thorn, Teen Titans, Superman/Batman.

I also read the occasional: Witchblade, Darkness, Sojourn, Spawn, Star Wars: Republic, Buffy, Angel.

Theres also a lot of random mini-series from Marvel i read too. i think thats about it. ;)

Yeh, good taste PCM, missed the last few SW:Republics though what with having no money (grr Expo and dinners!), storylines still going strong?

Oh and no news on my comic insurance as yet, Im going uni in september so hopefully I'll have something sorted out for then and I'll post some info up for the other person who was enquiring :)

x

Radagast Posted on Jun 13 2004, 08:41 PM

Oh and no news on my comic insurance as yet, Im going uni in september so hopefully I'll have something sorted out for then and I'll post some info up for the other person who was enquiring :)

Thanks, let me know about the comic insurance etc when you get a chance.

Now heres one that I'm sure not many people are reading but I think are the best comics going, Commando the war comic.

Top quality Jerry takes a pasting action, quit e hard to find in the shops but lucky theres a nick nack shop near me that sells load of 2nd hand copies

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...