Autographs or Photos?

There should be signs up. I am saying "should" because you could always hit those minutes between when the decision is made "no photos", someone runs to get the sign and the sign is put up. Happened to me with Eve Myles once.

If you're being told no no one will be arsey about it. You'll be getting a reply like "sorry, too many people waiting, can't do it at the moment."

Photos last forever... sadly, autographs do not. You can put them away for long term storage with the right materials, but apart from that, if you want a long term memory in the long, long term, a photo will never degenerate, not with today's technologies, unlike years ago.

Photos last forever... sadly, autographs do not. You can put them away for long term storage with the right materials, but apart from that, if you want a long term memory in the long, long term, a photo will never degenerate, not with today's technologies, unlike years ago.

Today's photos can degenerate as nothing is impervious to the ravages of time. There's also plenty of photos available from yesteryear around.

At the Summer LFCC last year, the friend I was with (somehow) managed to get a posed photo with both Jack Donnelly and Robert Emms at their autograph desks without paying a penny for an autograph because she wasn't interested in one, and I managed to get two pictures with Robert Hayes after I got his autograph. :D Somehow I don't think we will ever be that lucky again.

• Like 1

I like photographs, because they allow for more personalisation (poses etc) than an autograph that just says 'your name' best wishes 'their name'. :)

That being said, if I like the actor for one particular role, I'll tend to just get their autograph on a related photo. (Think the guys dressed up as orcs etc. If I had a photo, I'd forget who they are because I'm so used to seeing them covered in latex!)

My ideal world is get the photo and if I can afford it, get it signed later. I did this with Brent Spiner and Walter Koenig a few years ago and it was a really good ice breaker! If I can't afford the autograph at the same con, it gives me an excuse to meet them again at another event. I had a photo with eve Myles at LFCC 2013, got it signed at an event in 2014 and she not only recognised me, but it turns out that the photo was taken when she was a few weeks pregnant, so I have a photo with 'baby' Myles too!

I also had a photo taken with Iain Glen last time he was at LFCC. I went to get an autograph from someone else for a friend and as he had nobody waiting to see him, I explained that I hadn't got any money to get an auto, but would he mind if we had a quick photo over the table and he was happy to do that. :) I'll be getting a proper one done this year!

Edited by etmuse

Is it a big no no to ask for the guest to sign an item during a photo shoot?

There's no time and they're not set up for it (payment and pens etc.). There is the designated areas and times for autos. It would be embarrassing for both you and the guest if you tried. So yes, it is a big no no.

I myself prefer to collect autographs on my blu-rays, then there are SOME actors that i also buy photos with too, like Charles Dance and Christopher Lloyd. (So far) :P Last time i finally took me some courage and asked Sibell Kekili if i could get a picture with her after she signed my game of thrones season 3, no problem at all. Just wished I've had the courage too ask the others. XD

There's no time and they're not set up for it (payment and pens etc.). There is the designated areas and times for autos. It would be embarrassing for both you and the guest if you tried. So yes, it is a big no no.

Fair enough, never been to a con with guests before and there's not a lot of information on how it all works. Thanks for the reply

Fair enough, never been to a con with guests before and there's not a lot of information on how it all works. Thanks for the reply

No problems, happy to help. We've all had that 'first con' moment and been unsure how it all works. You'll find that people on here are great at answering any questions you might have so feel free to ask if you can't find an answer anywhere.

You may also want to have a look through the FAQ section and also previous years events as there's a lot of info there.

Preferably I like to get both - an autograph and a photo because as has been mentioned you do get a little longer when they're signing and I have a lot of fantastic memories of sharing a few words with some of my favourite guests like John Rhys Davies, Anthony Head (HE IS A LEGEND and he spoke to me and my sister for ages!!) Linda Blair and many others. However, the photos are also brilliant because it proves you were actually that close to the celeb you love and also you can get a cheeky hug in like I did with Santiago Cabrera and John Barrowman! ;) And when I met Brandon Routh (Superman) HE SHOOK MY HAND WHEN I LEFT THE PHOTO so you can get an amazing experience from the photos even though they are over faster than autographs (on the whole) so basically if the celeb is your favourite try and get an autograph and a photo and if you like them but don't feel as obsessed/in love/want to marry them/insert own reason here then just go for a photo :smile: wow it was years ago when I met these guests but I remember it so clearly and thats something that nothing can take away, you will always have your memories so just go and have fun!!!