Do we really need you to post if ... ?

Stenun

Do we really need you to post if you don't like a guest? Saying "meh, whatever, nice for those who are fans I suppose" on a guest you don't like is not constructive in any way and can actually hurt in the long run as the fans of these Cons could start getting a reputation. If you're not a fan of an announcement, don't say anything - it's quite simple.

• Like 7

Don't really agree. People who are disappointed are just as entitled to chip in as those that are excited. It's a forum - which means discussion, not slavish agreement. I know there have been guests that I've been hugely excited to meet that others aren't fussed on, doesn't mean they can't say so. I know what you mean that people could just say nothing, but when it's a big announcement and people are looking forward to seeing the name, they will generally want to express an opinion.
The one tonight does nothing for me, but it is good that lots seem very pleased :smile:

• Like 5

But then on the other side just let them have their opinions. To me someone saying good for the fans but nothing for me can hardly be offensive or hurting someones feeling. All cant like the same things but if we are just allowed to praise things and not show other opinions this forum will be very one-eyed and not a nice Place to hang around. Of course limitations to this would also be needed, someone saying ok good for the fans but not for me is way better than someone saying crappy guest and how disapointing anouncement.

If a guest isn't popular in general, Showmasters will find that out through how many autographs they fail to sell.

If a guest isn't popular with you, nobody cares.

Constructive criticism is good. Saying "not for me" isn't constructive - Showmasters aren't going to start booking guests purely on what you want.

• Like 2

If a guest isn't popular in general, Showmasters will find that out through how many autographs they fail to sell.

If a guest isn't popular with you, nobody cares.

Constructive criticism is good. Saying "not for me" isn't constructive - Showmasters aren't going to start booking guests purely on what you want.

Showmasters book guests based on what people want otherwise they wouldn't sell any tickets. If they booked Katie Hopkins there would be an absolute outrage- thats what this forum is for- to express your views on the particular matter at hand.

• Like 1

I'm paying a hell of a lot of money attending this con, l think l have the right to tell SM whether or not l like a guest or not. Whether or not SM cares about my opinion is for them to decide. If we can't voice our opinions, why have a forum in the first place?

• Like 2

It's not about constructive criticism, it's about expressing an opinion, however casual. By your logic you have no place complaining about the uninterested people - just ignore them and don't say anything. Don't start a thread inviting discussion and disagreement, then brush it off with 'nobody cares'. A forum is for discussing, kinda like we are doing here....

• Like 1

I am not brushing it off with "nobody cares"; I am explaining that if you don't like a guest, well, nobody is going to care about that. What they will care about is if you start posting negative comments in that thread.

I'm so far planning to meet 3 of the announced guests. Do you really think it would help Showmasters, or be a useful input for anyone, if I posted in ALL the other threads that i'm not going to meet that guest?

EVERYONE is spending "a hell of a lot of money" on this Con.

• Moderators

If you do have 'constructive criticism' on the guest list, please note that individual guest announcement topics are not the place for this. It's not unheard of for guests or their agents to read the forum (and their own topic is somewhere they'll definitely look if they do!) so please remember that when you post.

as one of the people who said "meh, not for me" with regards to the new announcment i have to disagree with the OP.

i dont think a lot of people would be saying "meh, not interested" or similar if there wasnt the big build up for it. just announce it then people who are interested and people who arent interested wont feel dissappointed after the announcement and build up.

The fact is they are a huge guest and have been part of some very big franchises, to dismiss the work they have been involved in is childish. It's like I said in another thread. People need to start getting over this Doctor Who/Game Of Thrones/Star Trek/Harry Potter addiction. There's only so many times you can hear them say 'Oh it was so great, I really loved the other actors, we're so friendly in real life and we love doing it for the fans'.

That's what it comes down to and you know if the horror fans want to get excited then let them be excited and they have a right to be excited. She is a genuine Hollywood star, anyone can be in TV shows, not everyone can be the face of a franchise that REDEFINED and freshened up an entire genre. It's pretty unique and a very big franchise.

• Like 1

I am not brushing it off with "nobody cares"; I am explaining that if you don't like a guest, well, nobody is going to care about that. What they will care about is if you start posting negative comments in that thread.

I'm so far planning to meet 3 of the announced guests. Do you really think it would help Showmasters, or be a useful input for anyone, if I posted in ALL the other threads that i'm not going to meet that guest?

EVERYONE is spending "a hell of a lot of money" on this Con.

Exactly, so everyone should be allowed to voice their opinions, of course always with respect towards the guest announced.

If you wouldn't go up to a guest and tell them "I've never heard of you, I don't care that you're here" to their face, then you shouldn't say it in their announcement thread either. Otherwise, you're just using the anonymity of the internet to be a git.

• Like 2

If you wouldn't go up to a guest and tell them "I've never heard of you, I don't care that you're here" to their face, then you shouldn't say it in their announcement thread either. Otherwise, you're just using the anonymity of the internet to be a git.

Nonsense, the announcement thread is read by everyone, not just the guest, if the guests even reads this at all. also, negative comments are or at least should not, be directed to the guest personally. I might not care about a guest, that doesn't mean l don't respect their work or person, it's just not the guest l want to meet and l post about it here not for that guest to know, but for SM to know. And again, whether SM cares about my opinion doesn't matter to me, that's up to them.

Nonsense, the announcement thread is read by everyone, not just the guest, if the guests even reads this at all. also, negative comments are or at least should not, be directed to the guest personally. I might not care about a guest, that doesn't mean l don't respect their work or person, it's just not the guest l want to meet and l post about it here not for that guest to know, but for SM to know. And again, whether SM cares about my opinion doesn't matter to me, that's up to them.

But negative comments are inevitably going to be about the guest.

"This guest isn't my cup of tea" is a comment ABOUT the guest.

What negative comment about the announcement but not about the guest did you have in mind?

The problem is the build up. When SM announce that a "big" guest is coming, many peope read it as "so famous that the person is generally appealing to most". It js perhaps disrespectful to comment meh in the thread, but it wouldn't happen that often if the expectations weren't so high.

• Like 3