Easy way to get to Olympia ?

Chrimlee

Hello!

Travelling down from Leicester on the friday and doing some shopping in Soho first...do any of you lovely people know if Kensington is walkable from Soho? Or is it a 'doesn't look that far on google maps but will in fact be an epic and regrettable cross-city trek in a heatwave' type affair?

Cheers guys! :)

Hello!

Travelling down from Leicester on the friday and doing some shopping in Soho first...do any of you lovely people know if Kensington is walkable from Soho? Or is it a 'doesn't look that far on google maps but will in fact be an epic and regrettable cross-city trek in a heatwave' type affair?

Cheers guys! :)

It's about 6 kilometres...an hour and 15 minutes walk. It would be a nice walk across the Hyde Park but if it is really hot weather you might not want to do it...I mean you are going to do a lot of slow walking at the con too.... :D

Thanks Katjafin :)

That doesn't sound too bad,weather permitting! It may involve lots of sitting down/watering breaks in Hyde park but definitely doable! Can't be splashing out on taxis,need to save what few spare pennies I have left for the con.. :P

Thanks Katjafin :)

That doesn't sound too bad,weather permitting! It may involve lots of sitting down/watering breaks in Hyde park but definitely doable! Can't be splashing out on taxis,need to save what few spare pennies I have left for the con.. :P

Wear comfy shoes!

And there's always the Piccadilly line from Soho to Kensington if it's too hot (or too rainy) to walk.

I'll be coming from Euston, so I'll be getting:

Victoria line to Oxford Circus

Change at Oxford Circus to get on the Central line to Shepherd's Bush

Jump on the Overground from Shepherd's Bush to Kensington (Olympia)

:)

Edited by minchb

I started to get a panic on about strikes and any rail works that might occur next weekend. I was coming down from yorkshire on the Saturday morning to arrive at King's Cross at 9am.

Now, i'm coming down on Friday night and have booked into the Holiday Inn Kensington Forum.

I feel at lot more relaxed now, knowing that i can just walk to Olympia on Saturday morning :smile:

So far my journey to the venue is as follows, if anything has been changed tube/train wise please let me know if i have to change my plans..but so far..

FRIDAY

Piccadilly line from kings x to earls court then change to district line at earls court(wimbledon train) to west brompton. At west brompton i change to overground to kensington olympia.

SAT/SUN

Piccadilly from kings x to earls court again, then at earls court change to district line direct to kensington olympia (olympia train)

So far my journey to the venue is as follows, if anything has been changed tube/train wise please let me know if i have to change my plans..but so far..

FRIDAY

Piccadilly line from kings x to earls court then change to district line at earls court(wimbledon train) to west brompton. At west brompton i change to overground to kensington olympia.

SAT/SUN

Piccadilly from kings x to earls court again, then at earls court change to district line direct to kensington olympia (olympia train)

There are track works on the Saturday/Sunday for that part of the District line. Personnally I'd recommend either going to Earls Court or Barons Court on the Piccadilly line and walking from there as its about 10-15 minutes walk from either. I'd also make that recommenation for the Friday as opposed to the going via overground.

I started to get a panic on about strikes and any rail works that might occur next weekend. I was coming down from yorkshire on the Saturday morning to arrive at King's Cross at 9am.

Now, i'm coming down on Friday night and have booked into the Holiday Inn Kensington Forum.

I feel at lot more relaxed now, knowing that i can just walk to Olympia on Saturday morning :smile:

I wouldn't worry - London transport is completely different to Yorkshire transport.

Strikes are always well advertised ahead of the event and if there were no tubes then the buses are there.

It's one of the things I miss about living down there - I mean the tube runs till about midnight and then the night buses kick in which are about hourly with buses during the day being every few minutes unlike services in Yorkshire which are every half hour or one which goes through our village that's once every other hour!

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply knitty. ah okay so that planned journey for me out the window then, mainly for sat and sun if there are track works on the district line. Is there another route to take on the tube/train then for those days if i cant use the district? and out of interest why would you recommend walking? is it quicker then waiting for the train i need to go direct there??

am i still okay with my planned route for the friday too involving the transfer to the overground train?

I did a route plan on the london tfl page and it says roughly 11mins walk from barons court to olympia so seen as everyone else seems to be doing that, might me best for me too. ill grab a piccadilly line straight from kings x to barons court then walk on the sat and sun. according to the map it showed me, it looks like a straight walk out, 1 right turn then another straight walk to the venue.

FRIDAY

SAT/SUN

There are track works on the Saturday/Sunday for that part of the District line. Personnally I'd recommend either going to Earls Court or Barons Court on the Piccadilly line and walking from there as its about 10-15 minutes walk from either. I'd also make that recommenation for the Friday as opposed to the going via overground.

Edited by teabelly83

Thanks for the reply knitty. ah okay so that planned journey for me out the window then, mainly for sat and sun if there are track works on the district line. Is there another route to take on the tube/train then for those days if i cant use the district? and out of interest why would you recommend walking? is it quicker then waiting for the train i need to go direct there??

am i still okay with my planned route for the friday too involving the transfer to the overground train?

I did a route plan on the london tfl page and it says roughly 11mins walk from barons court to olympia so seen as everyone else seems to be doing that, might me best for me too. ill grab a piccadilly line straight from kings x to barons court then walk on the sat and sun. according to the map it showed me, it looks like a straight walk out, 1 right turn then another straight walk to the venue.

FRIDAY

SAT/SUN

I don't believe that the kensington Olympia extension bit will be running. Just go to Barons court and walk from there. Its only about a 5 min walk to Olympia.

Actually running it through journey planner on TFL it looks like the extension is open that weekend but you might find it longer to wait for the train rather than going to Barons court. I am not sure about anyone else but I have always found the district line to be really slow.

Edited by Pod0509
  • Like 1

Yeah thanks! :) after knitty mentioned that i checked on the route planner and it does state the closures so as you both said ill just get the piccadilly line from kings x to barons court then walk from there. again says roughly 11mins but im quite a fast walker so may be less, looks pretty straight forward according to the map. always a little daunting though for someone who doesnt visit london often so always nice to get advice from everyone on what will be easier to do on the day.

FRIDAY

SAT/SUN

I don't believe that the kensington Olympia extension bit will be running. Just go to Barons court and walk from there. Its only about a 5 min walk to Olympia.

ahh right okay, so again you like knitty also, you'd suggest maybe just walking from barons on both days? if you think it would be quicker to walk from there then it would be to just wait for the train connection then i might aswel walk it. :)

FRIDAY

SAT/SUN

Actually running it through journey planner on TFL it looks like the extension is open that weekend but you might find it longer to wait for the train rather than going to Barons court. I am not sure about anyone else but I have always found the district line to be really slow.

FRIDAY

SAT/SUN

The Friday route will probably take you far longer to do the route you plan by train (factoring in waiting time as well as route time) than it will take to walk.

• Like 1

Hi, kind of a reverse question here: I am ok getting to Event as coming up night before and staying in Hotel which is 10 mins walk - my coach stops in Earls Court coming up but does not go back that way so I need to get my return coach from Victoria. Rather than pay Taxi fare have been looking at buses as an idea ( can't do underground anymore as claustrophobic) - I have found one (C1) but know that it is all now paid by Oyster Cards. I only want a single fare for one journey that day but looking at their Site it just says Visitor Cards can be bought online but they start at £15...where can I buy a card for just a day ride? .... :no:

The Friday route will probably take you far longer to do the route you plan by train (factoring in waiting time as well as route time) than it will take to walk.

Thanks knitty, so walking from Barons it is then lol. if its gonna save me time rather then just waiting around for the transfer i might aswel walk it then lol. thanks so much!

Hi, kind of a reverse question here: I am ok getting to Event as coming up night before and staying in Hotel which is 10 mins walk - my coach stops in Earls Court coming up but does not go back that way so I need to get my return coach from Victoria. Rather than pay Taxi fare have been looking at buses as an idea ( can't do underground anymore as claustrophobic) - I have found one (C1) but know that it is all now paid by Oyster Cards. I only want a single fare for one journey that day but looking at their Site it just says Visitor Cards can be bought online but they start at £15...where can I buy a card for just a day ride? .... :no:

Double check on the TfL website but am sure that buses also do contactless payments with your bank card.

Thanks, it does say contactless payments - I have a debit card but always do chip and pin, will it work? If not will have friend with me so can share cost of taxi

Unfortunately it is contactless only, no chip and pin. Taxi might be your best bet if you don't want to pay for the Oyster/temp pass.

Edited by Wrong Name

Thanks, it does say contactless payments - I have a debit card but always do chip and pin, will it work? If not will have friend with me so can share cost of taxi

As further thought on NoName's post check your card if it has the contactless icon on it. Mine does but I always chip and PIN

As further thought on NoName's post check your card if it has the contactless icon on it. Mine does but I always chip and PIN

That's not my name! ;)

Hi All,

Im not sure if this as been mentioned before so apologies if it had but thought this may help. I know London really well and travel by tube all the time and I was majorly struggling to figure out how to get to Olympia, I was so confused I came on here asking for help (thank you to those that helped!).

The reason I was so confused?! The TFL route planner is showing some bizarre routes and was refusing to show me travel to Earls Court via Picadilly Line. I have triple checked and this is definitely not closed, there seems to be no reason why it's not showing up but it won't take me that route unless I put it in separately so Marylebone to Earls Court (v simple, change to Picadilly line at Picadilly circus) then Earls Court to Olympia.

It will show me any other route including walking 20 minites but it won't show that route unless I put it in separately, then it confirms its definitely working and its the quickest route!

May seem really obvious but thought I would mention that breaking it down works best as it completely flummoxed me!

Poppy :)