A weekend with Jerry Ross April 17-18th 2015 at the Radisson

showmasters

• 1 month later...
  • Showmasters Admin

Hello everyone

As we get closer to this mini event and having just spoken to jerry.

I would like to let you all know that he will be bringing some unique relics of the shuttle programme

Which will all be for sale.

Having already seen his remarkable list of flown and training items I can tell you any fan of this era will be extremely excited.

Jerry will have all these items for sale exclusively at the show.

Please note though that if you wish to purchase any of his items our credit card facility will not be available

So please be sure to bring adequate funds with you.

We will of course have our card facility available for signature and lecture ticket purchase.

There will also be several dealers in attendance .

Will see you all there

Dave Phillips

Exciting news about the items Jerry Ross will have for sale.

My question is, will there be a set time for the sale, or a first come, first serve basis from opening time.

Also, are there likely to be lecture tickets available on the day.

Regards Kev

Re: Parking

Is the £5 flat rate a special deal for the event. When I contacted the hotel last week they qouted me over twice that price.

Regards Kev

Yes, that is a special event deal. Also you will have to pay at reception, not at the parking machines. If you pay at the machine you'll be charged what they told you.

Another dumb question (I'm full of them). Is there any sort of timetable for Saturday? I know the doors open at 9:30 but just wondering when photos & the lecture are happening.

I'm really looking forward to Saturday.

Just want to say a big thank you to Dave for pulling today's event together & of course to Jerry Ross, & his wife Karen, for agreeing to come over.

With only one guest today's event had a totally different feel to other Autographica's but it most definitely worked. I got there about 10:30 & although not busy there was a constant line to meet Jerry, get an autograph or two & a photo. There was also a large selection of Jerry's personal items for sale. I just wish I could have arrived earlier to see the full selection as items were being snapped up.

Jerry was simply great. Patient with everyone (there were some large multi - signed photo's that need to be handled with a lot of care) & accommodating with everyone's requests, he must have written his seven mission numbers hundreds of times. He even jocked when I asked for individual mission numbers on different photo's that I was testing his memory.

But the highlight was most definitely his talk which lasted well over an hour.

If you have read his book 'Spacewalker' a lot of what he said will have been familiar but it was still worth hearing it from the man himself. He also gave commentaries on video's of two of his missions & then took an extended Q&A which was insightful & candid. I must also mention the questions asked by the audience were top notch. None of the "how do you go the toilet in space" type questions that pop up a lot.

I think everyone who went today thoroughly enjoyed themselves & maybe we'll see this type of one guest event again. It works well when the guest is as interesting & engaging as Jerry Ross.

Many Thanks to Showmasters for organising the event yesterday and also for Jerry & his wife for coming.

I enjoyed the intimacy of this event and would definitely welcome more of the same with other astronauts in the future.

Those that were in the line for autographs were very considerate of others. Along with some others, I only had one item to be signed, but one individual with a large number of items actively waited in the wings rather than make people wait longer (well done my friend and gratefully noted).

I would love all Autographica lectures to be longer like Jerry's. It was not rushed and great value for money. A hint for September maybe?

Can't wait until the next event and hope it is packed with more astronauts.

Regards Kev

I thought it was a cracking little event, even though I could only stay for about an hour... Jerry signed me 'big blue book' and I noticed his book for sale for £60 so raided a card and I got it and he signed it for me. Had a quick chat...

'How on earth did you manage seven flights?' (me) 'dedication' (he replied) 'They certainly can not take that list from you' and he laughed... his book looks great, loved the picture of his Honda C90!

BTW - had to dash as I was going to Stanley Gibbons Stamp shop in the Strand, got a pile of Soviet space stamps, then went to the little market in Piccadilly and picked up two very nice Yuri Gagarin badges...

Well done to the Autographica team for arranging this, its much appreciated,

Best wishes all, see yer in September! vDE