Advice needed! | How should I get my autographs?

twiga

Hi everyone!

I've been collecting autographs from Showmasters events for nearly 10 years now but have never really gone for lots from a single TV show/movie etc. so have all of them on separate 8x10s.

However now I'm planning to start collecting from a few specific TV shows and wanted to know the arguments for getting all the autographs on individual 8x10s or getting all the autographs for each show/movie on one poster.

Also there's the approach of getting DVDs and other items signed.

What do you guys prefer and why? :headscratch:

Thanks for all the advice in advance!! :smile: I'd love to hear all of your opinions!

Hey,

I like to collect 8x10's because I can still get them framed as one large piece. So say for example a show has 9 main cast members, I eventually have the option to get them framed like this: (I hope the picture shows)

110kqqb.jpg

I also prefer 8x10s because at the event it's much easier to look after a folder with pictures in then it is a large poster. Not to mention when you leave the guests table and have a rolled out poster in your hand, it can be a pain to get rolled up and into it's tube without space and help... at least from what I can tell from observing others at the shows.

Plus there's always fading to worry about. I keep my autographs in a proper storage box with polyester pockets. I scan them in and get frame able duplicates printed. I can't tell the difference once it's on the wall and it's nice to know I not only have a original stored away safe, but also saved online in case there's a fire and it can be printed again. I don't know how I'd be able to do the same with a large poster.

I've personally never seen the point of getting DVDs signed. I moved to Blu-ray for a bit a few years back but then onto a digitally stored collection of TV shows and Movies. When ever I see someone getting a DVD signed it's the same as seeing a VHS getting signed...it just looks a bit..I dunno..dated. But my other love is technology, so I guess this wouldn't matter as much to other people. I can also see merit to having the physical item reflect the age that the show/movie was released.

Signed props or statues on the other hand.. they can be cool. I have a couple of them, but I also got 8x10s done from those guests as well.

I'm the opposite. I only get 10x8s signed as a last resort and much prefer getting DVD covers or books signed instead. It offers best potential for multiple autographs on a single item.

I've never gotten a poster signed. The inconvenience of carrying around something that big has put me off the idea.

• Like 1

I go for 8x10's and posters - I usually get individual 8x10's signed to me and keep them in a folder and take a poster or picture that I get multisigned by the cast but signatures only, no dedication. Eventually when I decide a picture is effectively finished (no more room, got everyone I wanted on it, not going to meet any more guests from that show) I'll get it mounted and framed and put up somewhere.

I've never had a dvd signed but will get books done on occasion when it's easier than the other alternatives.

Posters can be a little bit trickier but I've never had an issue with them, especially if you are careful. The benefit is that you have a lot of the cast in one place and it can look very nice having a framed multi signed picture. The downsides to posters is that if you are getting it signed in colours that take longer to dry you have to be careful how you roll it up when leaving the guest - you don't want it to smudge when re rolled but I find rolling it so the newly signed bit is still exposed and not touching anything for a few minutes works fine. Also if you use the poster for a long time or for a lot of guests you obviously increase the risk of it getting damaged. I do admit a couple of mine are a little ragged on the edges but I'm not bothered by it, it hasn't ruined the posters.

The 8x10's can be easier to transport and store (I have mine in sleeves in a couple of folders in a cupboard) and easier to put up - it's often easier to find a wall or space for a little 8x10 than an A1 poster for example, but for putting up I prefer the visuals of a nice multi signed picture.

Edited by Raylenth

My personal preference is poster as i'm a massive fan of poster artwork that goes with the show/film.

Plus it allows for multiple signatures on one thing my Game Of Thrones poster is always a talking point when I meet someone new they always want to know if I have this character and that character...

All personal preference and if you want a whole cast to sign something.

Plus it allows for multiple signatures on one thing my Game Of Thrones poster is always a talking point when I meet someone new they always want to know if I have this character and that character...

That's true, I've had some nice conversations and jokes with guests when they see who I have or haven't got on a poster.

I mostly take 8x10 pictures. those are easy to keep in a folder.

I also startet a couple years ago to let signing the DVD/BR Covers. Only a few posters/Lobby Cards (mostly from movies from 1950s-1960s) but handling with posters are more difficult. I sent'em a few times to events when I can't appeare there.

Edited by Swissangel4616

I usually have separate 8x10's signed. Posters are too difficult (carrying them around and I'm coming from Belgium). I keep my 8x10s in a folder, ordered alphabetical (which is why I don't go for multiple signed items or dvd cases, though I do like the idea of cast shots). I do get books signed by authors though :)

• Moderators

I tend to always just go with 8x10s, I used to carry posters but as others have said it can be hard work at a busy event. Have got a few stars to sign box sets and BR covers like Danny Glover on Lethal Weapon, Ariana Richards on JP and John R Davies on my LOTR Box Set but don't do this as often

I am undecided about this,i want to get all the BTTF people and first thought about getting my BR Box set signed but think it might look messy as it is small with lots of sigs to fit on, then i thought about 10x8s and now i am thinking about a large print or poster, decisions, decisions!

I know we are all biased by our own preferences but for multi sig I really don't think you can beat a nice picture/poster. You have plenty of time to look around and find a nice one and if you do go down that route and get the main cast I think they look lovely framed and on a wall. With DVD's I think they can be so covered in print and quotes and stuff sigs get a bit lost, it's nice to have the sig without any type underneath. Just my opinion though.

I started off by getting DVDs/Blurays signed but agree with others that it looks a bit messy. I now do a mixture of 8x10s and posters. I have LOTR, Star Wars and have recently gotten a BTTF poster but for the majority of people I get the 8x10s. Thanks to the help of people on here I got some really nice cases for them that keep them nicely preserved and look good too!

Over the last couple of years I moved to posters (as you suggested you can get multiple autos on them), but now have used up all of my wall space with signed ones!

I have now invested in a set of cool A3 size prints from my favourite TV shows/films, and now get those signed as it allows room for multiple autos and the ones I frame for the wall don't take up too much space!

Next year will be the time if you want to start collecting BTTF guests to get it on one item. I'd be tempted to go for a poster, mostly because of space. A 10x8 or DVD /Blu Ray Cover doesn't take much to get filled up quickly.

Normally I tend to stick with 10x8s, but I have just started a Doctor Who poster for Doctors only and have a few multiple signed DVD covers, e.g. Halloween signed by Scout, Danielle and Tyler.

I prefer to get 10 x 8 photos signed as they are easier to carry and store.

I have an original Star Wars Lobby Card from 1977 with Darth Vader on which I keep meaning to get Dave Prowse to sign, I just keep forgetting to take it................

I think I would get a poster signed if I knew I could get all the cast to sign it as it would look excellent framed.

I used to only get the pictures that the cons supply and video game manuals signed (as most people I have met have had some involvement in video games) I have roughly half a dozen single pictures and game manuals all signed lol

It was always single picture and manual of my favourite game they either voiced in or created until last year when I decided that I would try and collect various autos on a poster, I currently have 3 posters that I'm hoping to get filled and then I'll probably move onto the back of it.

I like the fact I can look at all the autos on the poster probably because it gives me more of a fulfilment feeling seeing as it has more than 1 auto on lol

I'll keep getting those supplied pictures signed though as its easier to store and I have recently bought a storing folder thing to put them all in but I hardly bother with manuals now probably because back then everyone I'd meet signed for free (different con) but unfortunately I guess good things never last and now you have to pay for it lol oh well

I also have a giant Sherlock poster that I currently keep on my wall that I'm hoping to get signed and framed when and if the Sherlocked event happens. Kind of worried about carrying it around though as its literally huge and probably the biggest poster I'll have signed if I manage to get it signed lol

• Moderators

Next year will be the time if you want to start collecting BTTF guests to get it on one item. I'd be tempted to go for a poster, mostly because of space. A 10x8 or DVD /Blu Ray Cover doesn't take much to get filled up quickly.

Normally I tend to stick with 10x8s, but I have just started a Doctor Who poster for Doctors only and have a few multiple signed DVD covers, e.g. Halloween signed by Scout, Danielle and Tyler.

Have to admit with such a huge BTTF a line up I'm debating getting a poster for the occasion as well as 8x10s, would also quite like Lloyd on the bluray set as well

• Like 1

we generally use 10x8s..if there's something show-specific, we'll use a "filler script" from the show we want (which we've used for Buffy), for Battlestar, we're using a giant mount from the Last Supper photoshoot,... pretty much anything but DVD covers as we know they have a tendency to get folded or lost in our possession :D

it really depends, for tv shows I' m going with posters and try to get most of the cast over the year I' m on with a walking dead poster from season 2 , problem with this specific show people die... Cast is evolving every year... For movies I'll go mainly with posters, problem is you need the space having signed posters and keeping them in tube , I'll beter have 8x10's then.

So I only go with posters for "big guests" or ensemble casts, so far Star Wars, Lethal weapon, Back to the Future, Terminator, Aliens.

I also have to get the photoshoot pics signed right away