So how many people walked away?

RMC001

I brought my family to Cardiff today, arrived at 11am for standard entry, and couldn't believe my eyes! How far exactly did the queue go on for?

We turned away, did some shopping around the city, came back in the afternoon to find the queue was still there later! This didn't happen at last year's event!

I think this event must have pretty much outgrown the Motorpoint, as there's no way that many people would have fitted in that hall.

Also smart thinking of the organisers to arrange this on the same day as an international rugby match also taking place in Cardiff. We were lucky enough to get an early train home before the fans started queuing for the trains!

After what I heard about the London event during the summer, I think this will be my last. I don't think I'll bother with Milton Keynes next weekend, I've already had three wasted train tickets today.

Did anyone else travel all the way to Cardiff to simply give up? At least Forbidden Planet made a bit of extra trade today as a result.

• Like 1

I travelled up from London, Got to the venue around 0955hrs just in time for the first photo shoot. Didn't find any problems had an early bird ticket. I was stopped as I was going in the venue and some guy wanted to search my bag? This was a first for me at SM event? Did anyone else have their bag searched? I cant seem to think what he was looking for when other people are in costume and carrying all sorts of weapons...

Anyway, I got the first photo shoot done and yes it was very busy for a 10.00. Maybe because of the rugby. I left after 10.15hrs to walk around the town centre as my next photo shoot was at midday. I love the city centre of Cardiff, it's such a lovely city and with the shops with their decorations.

I got back around 1130hrs and yes their were long queues outside....But Cardiff Comic con is always busy. So far I have attended the first two and this is my third and every time there is queues still queuing past 1500hrs.. I think the answer to this is buy an Early bird ticket get there early. I've had no problems yet.

I got my 6 photo shoots and was finished around 1400hrs, Managed to get the early train home so missed the mad rush with rugby fans.

On a last note, Had a good time and again Showmasters staff at the photo shoot areas were excellent... See you guys at Milton Keynes. :smile:

• Like 1

I attended Collectormania Cardiff last year, and I certainly didn't have to queue to buy a ticket or to get in - and I didn't arrive early. It's surprising just how fast this event has grown

As for the security guards searching bags, it would seem the staff at Motorpoint do this for anything. When we recently saw Kylie Minogue in that same hall, we were searched, they found my wife's video camera, and let me take it in, but unfortunately when I tried to use it they stopped me.

Great day, Left London at 6.30 am, arrived at 9.15am, wife went shopping.

Me and my son had early bird tickets and got in by 9.30, we was out again by 10.15 having got the 3 autographs he wanted, (Noel Clarke, Gareth David-Lloyd and Sylvestor McCoy) and had a quick look around before heading to the Dr Who Experience.

We finished there and had some lunch and left Cardiff at 1.30pm, home at 4pm.

Perfect.

• Like 1

I arrived at the 'pay on the door' queue at around 8am and quite close to the front, i was in the arena just after 9am. Got the four autos i wanted from Glynn Jones, April Perkins, Jeremy Bulloch and Marolyn Turk without any fuss and i'd like to say they were all very pleasant. The venue was starting to fill up nicely by the time i left at 10am, however there was no queue either side to get in at this time.

I've attended the Cardiff Con since it started and i will definately go again as this is my local Con and such a good experience unlike the hectic experience of the London events.

Queues may be the nature of a convention but last year's event in Cardiff was never like this.

In fact the queue for Kylie in the same hall a little over a month ago wasn't as long as Saturday's, and the hall was packed that evening, so surely it must have been a little uncomfortable around mid day in that hall? I imagine the security guards may have stopped letting people in after a while due to the crowds inside, which I assume was the reason for the queue still running round the back mid afternoon?

Unfortunately it seems to be the problem with these events, a bit like another event which I cannot mention here, where they just become too popular, and I don't see the fun in playing sardines at these events.

• Showmasters Admin

Last year's queues were just the same and everyone that stayed in the queues go in. They were looked after in a safe and fast manner, there were a few times when the line slowed down to allow people to leave the show, but this only took place for around a hour, at about 12 noon.

The lines were never that bad and if people pre book tickets in advance there really is not much waiting time at all.

As to clashing the rugby "RMC001" maybe if you looked into this a little you would find they changed their date some time after we were booked in and were already promoting, so I really don't think you can blame us for that either?

Hope that is of help.

Jason