Some thoughts to share with you all about this winters CMMK

• Showmasters Admin

Hi there

Well i have been hearing some rumblings on here about the guest list for this years show etc and i thought i would share a few of my thoughts about this.

1st point

This is our winter CMMK and its only our second winter event since we started running them again. it is 6 years since we left the shopping centre where we could regularly run a winter show. so this is like running a new show from scratch and as last years event the hall was not finished we wanted to take it steady and build it as people get to know that the building is good and very useful and warm. this will take us a few years to get the winter show to the point where the summer CMMK is so they are not really the same shows , so for now it will be a show with a few less guests.

2nd point

The calibre of the guests , well we try to book as many great guests as we can and over the years i think we have more than proved we can do this time and time again over the years. i will admit we cannot guarantee 100% at every event where we make everyone fan happy with the line up of guests all we can do is try and book as many interesting guests as we can for all our events. some times we pull it off for some of you and other times we do not. we try for everyone for every event. all we can do is try and we will continue trying to run the best events we can for everyone.

3rd point

Whats a big guests ? what a great guest? this is something that i hear every month every year. guests are all in the eyes of the fan on who is good and who is not so really. there are going to be shows where you care about some of the guests and there is going to be shows that there is no guests that you want to meet , it really is down to each of you. i do find it interesting who some of you do feel the need to bash some of the guests if there is not that one guests you want to meet or a bunch of guest you want to see. i have to say many 10s of 1000s of fans go to our events only around 4 to 5% of the people that attend our events even look on our forum and out of them maybe only 5% of them will ever post. you the active forum members are a very few and when some of you do give feed back its helpful but there is a lot of you out there that do not post. we find that a lot of the people that do feel we do a ok to good job never post as they do not have a need to contact us , so we do and will continue to listen but we have to remember there is more fans out there than the few that are talking on here.

i think our Belfast show was a great example of this where there was very few people in the forum thread and it looked like it could be a quiet show when in fact is was a very busy event indeed. i think some of the forum crowd on here also thought it was going to be quiet. so it does show there are many out there that just come to the shows and do not hang out on here, just something to think about.

4th point

This years guest list is still not closed for CMMK and we do have some guests that we feel we will be able to close before the event, so watch this space. if they are your cup of tea or not that is down to you ?

5th point

The summer CMMK 2015 will as normal be a full on event using the full stadium and as such the guest list will be a much bigger line up. the winter events will be built up but we will only be using the inside of the venue and as such there will never be the numbers of guests that the summer show has. that is something that is good to keep in mind.

I hope this helps to explain where we are on this and maybe just maybe get some of the few that feel we are not doing our job right may start to understanding that this winter show is still building and that just because at this event there is not as many of the guests you want to meet there will be in the future and at the other events we run over the year.

we hope to see some of you at the event

Jason

• Like 6

Joined photoshoots are normally added late, that's all David said. Which is the same what I would have posted if I had seen this first by the way. ;)

I understand that you are passionate about this subject. But just because you don't get an immediate reply "oooooh yes, good idea, we didn't think of that!" doesn't mean your suggestions are ignored. We've explained a number of times that there's different reasons why shoots may not happen. And due to the nature of these reasons there's not usually a post "not going to happen because." Guests wouldn't quite be happy with SM posting "combination A is not going to happen because guests X and Z hate each other nowadays."

LFACC had a couple of last minute cancellations, you are forgetting about that. Sudden room on the schedule can make room for more or different shoots to be added. This has nothing to do with "people speaking up".

What TooTall had posted is as detailed as things can get. If my memory serves me right he also assured everyone that joined shoots were always considered if possible. Then came the list of reasons why it might not be possible. What he posted is valid for all shows. It doesn't quite make sense to repeat this all the time. Then we'll just have tons of people going "I know that!" again.

I knew we would get the "it's personal taste" response. The majority of the complaints about the line-up, that I've read, have not been "oh there's no one for me from my favorite show" they've been about that lack of variety in the line-up. I get the point about it being a new show, but I swear the business model used to be to get 1 or 2 guests from as many fandoms as possible, so that there was something for everyone. This line-up seems like it'll have a few people with 5 or so on their meet list and many many more with 0.

I really hope this gets through: It's the diversity of the line up that many of us have complained about...not that the line up isn't to their specific tastes.

• Like 3

• Moderators

But that comes down to the same thing - in the end, no matter how diverse it is, it still has to please whoever is going.

As I've said to people elsewhere - some were disappointed with Winter LFCC but others had double figures of who to meet .. some people are disappointed in MK's lineup and say Cardiff have it far better, yet some Cardiff attendees are complaining that their lineup isn't very good.

Discussing personal taste isn't brushing off the points being made but it is what it usually comes down to, as illustrated in the different comments from various people.

One day long after Jason retires I hope he writes a book about trying to attract guests to these shows. Then we'll all have a small understanding about what goes on behind the scenes and the lengths the SM team have to go to so we can have these events.

Maybe if SM set up an automated email response then some on here will have less to moan about...don't worry SM, I don't need this idea acknowledged.

• Like 1

I'm not interested in arguing this as it's just getting this further off-topic. My point is that forum members feel like they are being ignored whenever they offer suggestions or constructive criticism. It feels like we are all being lumped in the same group of "troublemaking forum members moaning for the sake of moaning," when a lot of us care deeply about these shows and are trying to offer suggestions. The result is topics being locked and we are basically told "if you don't like it, don't come." That doesn't help us or Showmasters.

Well I know a few people who are taking that stance though with the increase in SM run events it's going to become harder to stand by that as they will corner the market and if you want to meet a particular guest you may have no choice other than to go as you won't see them anywhere else.

And this is a reason why so many attendees do not use the forum...there is little point. It achieves nothing. It's the reason why I initially didn't like using it and it's the reason I am going to stop using it as much. If you look at the people who were talking in the locked topics, they are all silent now. Too afraid to say anything else or realising that it's pointless to try to speak their mind about a show they love. So for that reason I am not going to say anything else here.

Not afraid, just little point wasting the energy. The above statement pretty much makes it clear that the people on the forum are a minority and the ones that raise points, whether that's complaints or genuine feedback and suggestions are a further minority of those and as everyone else is clearly happy and attendances are high, those few don't need much attention.

Whatever has been said above, with so many shows so close together and the effort put in getting those off the ground, this one does feel like it's lost out whether that's on budget (no entry fee to boost the income) or just lack of availability once people are signed up for others. And people just won't be able to organise travel/acommodation if more popular guests are announced at this late stage.

I also don't particularly see that it makes much difference whether the show is a summer or winter one when using the new hall. Same space, just without the concourse. Time of year never seemed to make much difference when it was indoors at the shopping center.

Then again why am I even trying? It's saving me money. I suppose just as a very long term attendee who's only ever missed events for financial reasons, not because there wasn't anyone to meet, it's sad to see an event so poor you have no reason to go when there's always been something of interest.

Edited by Rockstar6662
  • Like 1

• Moderators

In terms of organising guests, they can only announce them when they're finalised. A lot of guests do only know for sure close to the event.

You have to remember that it's in SM's best interests to get the guests signed up ASAP as well so they can advertise them. As you say, it IS late in the day and there will be far less people able to come and meet them, so it's not like they're deliberately holding back or whatever.

I see a mention of Lance and Robert, two guests that have been to quite a few SM events. You'd get other people complaining about them being repeat guests etc. It's simply another example of personal taste as you've already said yourself.

With so many events recently, Jason doesn't have time to come on and address every comment about a guest lineup, especially when he'll never please everyone. It's just not possible. The quality of a guest lineup is very difficult to address because of the fact that everyone wants different things.

1st point

This is our winter CMMK and its only our second winter event since we started running them again. it is 6 years since we left the shopping centre where we could regularly run a winter show. so this is like running a new show from scratch and as last years event the hall was not finished we wanted to take it steady and build it .

3rd point

Whats a big guests ? what a great guest? this is something that i hear every month every year. guests are all in the eyes of the fan on who is good and who is not so really.

What you say makes a lot of sense, but since
Advertised guests for Winter 2013 = 84, - 60 TV/Film, 24 Sport
Current listed guests for Winter 2014 = 55 - 29 TV/Film, 2 Comic, 24 Sport
I'm not sure how that's building it, if last year with an unfinished building had twice the TV/Film guests. Or are you saying last year had too many guests, that you were trying too much too quickly?
Big guests I'd say are the ones that cost £25 or more. I'd never want most of those you get for that price, but I'd never say they aren't big. They must be otherwise you'd not book them.
  • Like 6

Actually never mind, I guess they just don't get it.

There's 29 guests announced (not including the sports section). 20 of them are most known for Star Wars and/or Doctor Who. When I say the line-up isn't as diverse as SM events normally are, I'm talking about FACTS. This line-up is FACTUALLY not as diverse as we've come to expect. No matter how many times they want to belittle that feedback as personal taste..it doesn't change the facts.

I was going to CM22 but the out right disregard of customer feedback on here has put me right off. My group of 4 will be voting with our wallets on this one.

On a side note... you really need a PR guy. Would it of been that difficult to have just written "We at SM listen very carefully to all feedback we get and we have heard that some of you have concerns about the diversity and caliber of the guests we have lined up so far for CM22. I want to ensure you that for every show we try our very best to please as many fans as possible with the biggest and most diverse line-up we can. CM winter is basically a new show and as such we have to start small and work up to the size of our bigger events. I know that there isn't the greatest amount of diversity in this line-up but there's still going to be fans out there that are excited for this event and hopefully a future event will take your fancy. Thanks again for all your support and feedback." ..but instead we got our feedback overlooked and belittled.

• Like 4

• Showmasters Admin

well LogicTheory i think its good to be real and not just get a pr person on to this as they will just say what they think will make you all happy when what i say is the truth not just a PR machine ? what would your prefer ?

At the end of the day there is a lot of the same posts from a few members on here and i just wanted to try to respond to them if they wanted to know a little more info.

at the en of the day this event will interest some of you or not the line up will be what it is on the day and fans will come or not its totally up to them , there will be more events next year and the same thing will happen if you are into guests and there are people that you want to meet you will come if not then maybe you will not , we will keep on bringing guests to the fans and that will not change , some events will be amazing if all the moons are in alinement some will not be as strong thats life , we work to make every event happen and thats all we can do , i do know this when we do get it right many of the people on here that are unhappy this time will be there as deep down they know we do pull of some great guests appearances .

Anyway I am going to go back to what you all want me to do booking guests rather than talking on here about things that will be what they are

see you soon

jason

• Like 1

Why complain, this is free to enter event with free car parking unlike other events including an un-named one shortly after this which charges for everything. So what if the number of guests isn't so high, this just means we can all save a bit of cash for next year's LFACC. I could understand the worries if people had paid £15 for earlybird tickets to an event. Just be thankful that Showmasters can still offer this event for free and if you aren't impressed stay at home, it will give those of us coming along an easier time meeting the people we want to see.

• Like 2

well LogicTheory i think its good to be real and not just get a pr person on to this as they will just say what they think will make you all happy when what i say is the truth not just a PR machine ? what would your prefer ?

At the end of the day there is a lot of the same posts from a few members on here and i just wanted to try to respond to them if they wanted to know a little more info.

at the en of the day this event will interest some of you or not the line up will be what it is on the day and fans will come or not its totally up to them , there will be more events next year and the same thing will happen if you are into guests and there are people that you want to meet you will come if not then maybe you will not , we will keep on bringing guests to the fans and that will not change , some events will be amazing if all the moons are in alinement some will not be as strong thats life , we work to make every event happen and thats all we can do , i do know this when we do get it right many of the people on here that are unhappy this time will be there as deep down they know we do pull of some great guests appearances .

Anyway I am going to go back to what you all want me to do booking guests rather than talking on here about things that will be what they are

see you soon

jason

Jason, I just don't personally understand why your responses to people complaints never actually seem to be in response to their complaints. It's like you misinterpret what they are trying to say and then reply to that. This is not the first time that this has happened either. None of your responses to date have actually even acknowledged the lack of diversity at the event.

Maybe I think differently to other people or something but it seems like a diverse line-up in the MOST important thing to an event like this. It doesn't "all come down to personal taste" it just doesn't".

Here's an exaggerated example. Lets say we have 10 customers who all like completely different things/shows/films. That's where different tastes come in.

You announce a show with 30 guests all from different fandoms. How many of those 10 customers are going to be happy. Anywhere from 0 to all 10 of them.

Now lets say you announce 30 guests all from the same fandom. Well with those 10 customers that all like different things, the best you can do is make 1 of them happy with that line-up.

Of course there's many more elements to take into account but at the end of the day the success of a line-up all comes down to making as many fans happy as possible, you obviously can't please them all, but you can't possibly get anywhere near when 20/29 guests are from 2 fandoms.

I'm not trying to say you don't know what you are doing, because you do run the greatest shows in the UK!! I'm just saying that the reason they are the greatest shows is because of the "something for everyone" diverse line-up. I normally go with 3 - 8 friends/family members, we all like completely different things (from Sports to Star Trek) and there's always something for everyone. You do a great job at it and we're looking forward to 2015.

Not that I have a problem with the line up but what Jason has to remember is we are the customers and we spend a lot of money and as customers we have the right to complain, not spend or not attend shows. While people are complaining it shows they care and I'd be very careful about deleting complaints and comments (however they get deleted).

Edited by Dannycarroll2007
  • Like 3

Hi Jason...how about thinking about widening the genres from which you access guests?I've met lots of great guests from Trek,Who etc,(some more than once),you have lots of guests from current cult shows like Game of Thrones etc,but Collectomania & WLFCC have been short of interesting rare guests.Lots of us love British & American crime shows,yet there is rarely actors from these.

Hi jason, first I would like to say is that I enjoy these events, my first was at Milton Keynes and I have been going to cardiff, london and excel aswell since but the reason for the complaints for this event is the lack of film guests, there is a lot of dr who and sports guests, I understand that it is down to personal taste but each event needs a good mix of categories guests.

• Like 1

There have no forum members been banned for a couple of weeks. I honestly have no idea what the last user is talking about. I've checked the banned list and there are no recent entries.

However, the forum rules say you are only allowed to have one user ID. Making up second IDs is something that could get you banned, especially if you do so to stir up things. So to the person whose post I have now hidden: this is your official warning. Normally we don't do this in public, but seeing you came on here making certain claims I have decided to post this here. I've hidden your post to stop others from making guesses and protect your identity.