showmaster please comment

Is everyone here desperate for this show to be a failure and never reoccur?

I ask only because the comments here seem designed to achieve that and appear in no way to consider SM and their view of the world. There are obviously reasons why you aren't seeing the people you'd like. But regardless of whether you personally or as a group feel the line up doesn't justify attending I see no reason to attack and belittle SM which is what is happening.

People are confused. At least I am. Why MK event that used to have so many known names from different fandoms, is suddenly only a shadow of what it used to be? This is a new situation without any further explanation. Shop closes in a couple of days, and even though there might be additions afterwards, those aren't usually many. It almost looks like SM has forgotten MK while it's already focusing on next summer's LFCC. I keep wondering if there has been some changes in the office, hopefully nothing bad. If this is a one time only, or is this a new direction for all SM events? More shows, less guests? I'm not surprised that people wish answers from SM, because this isn't how they usually work. And what will happen to the Sherlock event that has been talked about for so long already? To be honest, I'm a little worried. That doesn't mean I'm displeased.

• Like 1

I know everyone like different guests but agreed this is a smaller line up compared to the days of the shopping centre when CM was a main event attended by thousands. Is is now that SM are running so many events they don't have enough time to devote to the smaller events other than LFCC or the Star Trek one,in which case maybe some more managers if they're looking to expand further? Its the same with the conventions for Massive you don't hear anything for many months and then its just too late for many to book by the time there is any update.

Edited by buffy2k

This comment hits the nail on the head:

It has nothing to do with being spoiled, expecting the same amount of guests as LFCC Summer, different people having different preferences in guests, or moaning for the sake of moaning.

If you look back over the past Milton Keynes shows you will see the type of guests has always been varied, with something for most folk. That was the reason I attended my first show in 2004; it had stars of Doctor Who, Battlestar Galactica, Star Trek, Star Wars, Flash Gordon, Lord of the Rings, Stargate, James Bond, Superman, The A-Team, all together in one show. In the decade following, each show replicated and expanded upon that formula. Can you honestly say, looking back at all the previous line-ups for Milton Keynes, that this is a show to be excited about?

I'm quite happy going and only meeting the 1 person I want to meet. I'd just like there to be the usual "something for everyone" diverse line-up that we've had for years.

• Like 1

You would have loved the show when it was back in the mall. It was never too cold, never too hot, just a nice normal temperature. There were plenty of benches to sit down on, and if you stayed in a local hotel you could nip back and forth within minutes. Handy if you needed to pick something up, drop something off, or just relax in your spare time. There were plenty of places to eat too, and while waiting for your virtual ticket number to be called, you could have a wander around the shops. The only downside was the congestion caused by Saurday shoppers stopping to see what was going on. There was very little room to get by and it felt very cramped. Having said that, it was usually just Saturday that was bad, and Friday, Sunday and Monday were usually fine.

• Like 1

Gotta admit this is the most disappointing line-up I've ever seen for a showmasters event. I'm not knocking them, they're a great company and have put on some great shows in the years I've been attending but this one is just a bit naff.

• Like 2

at least I get to save money for other shows in November and they have better guests, it does actually feel like they are putting better guests into other conventions and forgetting this one even the photo shoots were better at the the Belfast one than Londonwintercon

Edited by sickkgirl

Sadly not for me this year. It must be hard to get the guests for these events let alone so close together! I think fans like myself would b more happy with less shows and more guests!!! We travel from all over and want to attend every event especially mk in may, lfcc summer/ winter. These are the biggies!!!!! Sm has great opportunity with belfast and Glasgow, the fans and numbers are there!!! Do we really need a nov mk/ cardiff?? So close? Would ease bit of pressure on sm to concentrate on those other events. Its starting to show this year and please in no way is this an attack on sm just an opinion im sure im not alone in making. We all appreciate the hard wrk and effort sm put in to these events! And lng ma it continue!

I'm going to Cardiff because of the excellent guests/

Never in a million years did I think that a show in Wales would outshine an MK event :no: I am not complaining mind. Just a big turn of events considering it took a very long time to convince SM to come to Wales in the first place :clap: Well done guys

I ask only because the comments here seem designed to achieve that and appear in no way to consider SM and their view of the world. There are obviously reasons why you aren't seeing the people you'd like. But regardless of whether you personally or as a group feel the line up doesn't justify attending I see no reason to attack and belittle SM which is what is happening.

If I was SM reading this thread and was currently in negotiation with [....] (feel free to insert whoever is your most wanted guest) I'd think about rescheduling them to another event. After all with no attendees what would be the point, there are fees and costs to bringing actors to these events. The tone here seems to be that SM owe you a line up you're interested in, there seems to be a feeling that SM have contractually let you down in some way by not getting at the very least [...] and [...] to the show plus more actors from [...]. This show has 50 guests attending and free entry. If the travel costs/times are too high or there's no one in that 50 that you want then you shouldn't attend. But this approach of demanding an explanation from SM is never going to get a reply. At best you'll get something from Jason telling you why he can't reply and we know these reasons already.

SM is a business they exist to make Jason and co. rich. So he wants every event to be a success. Whatever the reasons your favourite star isn't coming its not because Jason didn't want them. But it might be because this thread is persuading people its not worth attending. So Jason knows that inviting [...] won't be justified.

So right now I don't think the line up will significantly improve, because like guests who might read these threads and be discouraged from coming, I'm sure SM read them and can be similarly discouraged.

If the event is a financial failure then SM will have to think long and hard before running it again. You're not required to support an event that's not to your taste, and if SM aren't getting the guests you want then I don't think you should attend. They are a business they make a profit out of me and you. They don't reduce costs when things go well so I see no reason to support them if there's no one here of interest. But equally I see no reason to attack them and demand they explain why.

I don't think anyone here is looking to belittle the show, in fact from reading the posts here were are all regular visitors to Showmasters events and in some cases have been supporting their shows at MK and elsewhere since the very beginning. Showmasters have given us the chance to meet many great guests over the years.

Whilst you are never going to please everybody, I think the fact so many people have posted this time shows that for whatever reason this line-up isn't of the usual quality we have come to expect and I think the general feeling is one of disappointment.

I think a number of people have posted similar posts in that they really want to attend, they want the event to be a success etc, but certainly for many people who have to spend a lot of money travelling to come to an event, you really need to have at least 2/3 guests that you really want to meet to justify the expense related to it. If you have a couple of tent pole guests that you are prepared to travel to meet then whilst you are there you will pick up autos etc from some of the other guests, but these guests themselves don't necessarily justify all the expense that goes with attending a show.

Over the last few weeks alone I've met some great guests at DS3 and the Winter LFCC and had a great time, but for the first time ever there is no one amongst the Film and Media guests that I want enough to justify the costs associated with getting to the event.

• Like 4

If I was SM reading this thread and was currently in negotiation with [....] (feel free to insert whoever is your most wanted guest) I'd think about rescheduling them to another event. After all with no attendees what would be the point, there are fees and costs to bringing actors to these events. The tone here seems to be that SM owe you a line up you're interested in, there seems to be a feeling that SM have contractually let you down in some way by not getting at the very least [...] and [...] to the show plus more actors from [...]. This show has 50 guests attending and free entry. If the travel costs/times are too high or there's no one in that 50 that you want then you shouldn't attend. But this approach of demanding an explanation from SM is never going to get a reply. At best you'll get something from Jason telling you why he can't reply and we know these reasons already.

SM is a business they exist to make Jason and co. rich. So he wants every event to be a success. Whatever the reasons your favourite star isn't coming its not because Jason didn't want them. But it might be because this thread is persuading people its not worth attending. So Jason knows that inviting [...] won't be justified.

So right now I don't think the line up will significantly improve, because like guests who might read these threads and be discouraged from coming, I'm sure SM read them and can be similarly discouraged.

If the event is a financial failure then SM will have to think long and hard before running it again. You're not required to support an event that's not to your taste, and if SM aren't getting the guests you want then I don't think you should attend. They are a business they make a profit out of me and you. They don't reduce costs when things go well so I see no reason to support them if there's no one here of interest. But equally I see no reason to attack them and demand they explain why.

I don't think anyone here is looking to belittle the show, in fact from reading the posts here were are all regular visitors to Showmasters events and in some cases have been supporting their shows at MK and elsewhere since the very beginning. Showmasters have given us the chance to meet many great guests over the years.

Whilst you are never going to please everybody, I think the fact so many people have posted this time shows that for whatever reason this line-up isn't of the usual quality we have come to expect and I think the general feeling is one of disappointment.

I think a number of people have posted similar posts in that they really want to attend, they want the event to be a success etc, but certainly for many people who have to spend a lot of money travelling to come to an event, you really need to have at least 2/3 guests that you really want to meet to justify the expense related to it. If you have a couple of tent pole guests that you are prepared to travel to meet then whilst you are there you will pick up autos etc from some of the other guests, but these guests themselves don't necessarily justify all the expense that goes with attending a show.

Over the last few weeks alone I've met some great guests at DS3 and the Winter LFCC and had a great time, but for the first time ever there is no one amongst the Film and Media guests that I want enough to justify the costs associated with getting to the event.

yep, the people on here are not posting because they want the show to fail, it is quite clear to anyone that just the opposite is true. The fans here have a love for the MK show, it's one of my favourites, and it is disappointing that it appears that it's being neglected. No-one is saying that SM are "obliged" or owe us the attendees anything, but given the fact that the MK shows prior to this have had a much more diverse, fuller and at times fantastic guest list it isn't unreasonable to expect something similar. The fans have spent money on hotels, travel, booked time off work etc with that in mind, and are feeling a little let down it sounds like to me.
  • Like 4

I've been attending for the best part of 10 yrs, but as it stands I'm not coming to this one at all.

It's gone from having big name guests, such as the main cast of Lord of the Rings and Star Wars, to now having people who were extras once (hell, if that's all that's required in order to be a guest, sign me up for having been in a BBC Drama and in a film).

I've gone from spending a few hours on 2 days visiting (I live locally) to now just turning up and being done with it in 15 mins on one day.

My personal recommendation is to go back to having ONE Collectormania MK per year, allowing more focus on it.

• Like 1

I've been attending for the best part of 10 yrs, but as it stands I'm not coming to this one at all.

It's gone from having big name guests, such as the main cast of Lord of the Rings and Star Wars, to now having people who were extras once (hell, if that's all that's required in order to be a guest, sign me up for having been in a BBC Drama and in a film).

I've gone from spending a few hours on 2 days visiting (I live locally) to now just turning up and being done with it in 15 mins on one day.

My personal recommendation is to go back to having ONE Collectormania MK per year, allowing more focus on it.

yes i agree with this. one show is enough if guests are being spread around too thinly. Can't thank SM enough for so many good guests over the years but this is the first MK one i'll miss because of the line up, having just not attended Earls Court for the same reason.

• Like 1

This is one of those threads I see from time to time... ...that I really don't understand!?!

I go to SM signing events for the guests, if they're are no guests I want to meet, guess what... ...I don't go! :o I know, radical! I don't come on here and say why isn't Rhona Mitra at this event (although if SM do ever manage to get her, I'm there!)

If you go to meet up with friends then the guests are a bonus. This is reminding me of people saying that the recent LFCC was really quiet what's going on, when back in Summer they were complaining that there were too many people!?!

If a guest is announced I want to meet I'll go or, if not, I wont. I think I'll just have to accept that I really don't understand people and that the

anonymity of the internet emboldens people.

darryl.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Re: one event per year.

I get the logic, but I also understand the problems that come with it. One event a year doesn't guarantee a good lineup. It limits the dates for a start, and there's still work commitments and availability etc to worry about.

So it will come with its own set of problems unfortunately.

Must agree with a lot of comments on here that this is one of the poorest shows I have ever seen for big name guests.

I have attended over 20 showmasters events and this is the first one I will be missing for a few years due to no big name stars appearing that justifies the cost of travel etc.

I would of thought showmasters would of tried to get the likes of Linda Hamilton , Robert Patrick etc with Terminator being it's anniversary year.

Oh well cash saved I guess :thumbdown:

• Like 1