showmaster please comment

As you can see there's a strong disappointment at the lack of line up for this event and I thought I'd reach out and ask why? Even if you replied with "we're finding it difficult to find guests" then I'd understand better and not feel so let down. Please give us the fans an explanation on why it's not as good as previous years.

• Like 6

yes it's an extremely poor line up no big names at all sorry but I have not heard of any of the guests apart from the boxer David Haye.

You've honestly never heard of ANY of them?

Just gone through the list and know about 80% of them.

There is a big name and that is Amanda Tapping. She goes to these events fairly often, but is still a big name.

For me she is though I've met her a few times now and don't really need to again but equally I know people who don't know who she is. All a matter of what you're into. Other than her, there's no-one I'm even remotely interested in meeting. Worst lineup for me for many, many years and I know a lot of people who normally go but aren't this time though I'm sure there will be people who feel the opposite. There's still time to add to it but I do wonder if there's too many shows too close together now, it's all spread too thinly and it appears this show has suffered badly. There's more people at Cardiff I'd be interested in but can't justify the cost of going to that. This is really rather disappointing though I suppose it's saving me money.

• Like 2

yes it's an extremely poor line up no big names at all sorry but I have not heard of any of the guests apart from the boxer David Haye.

You've honestly never heard of ANY of them?

I've heard of Anneke Wills, Sarah Sutton, Jemma Redgrave and Caroline Blakiston. And they're the ones I am meeting

I'm not surprised that there's people who don't recognize anyone. They've done a good job on the sports guests but just focusing on the "Film and TV" section it's the weakest I've seen. I think SM has had too many events too close together.

I know we'll probably get the same old "it's personal taste" response, but MOST of the time the price is a rough way to judge the size and/or popularity of a guest. £10-£15 smaller guest, £20 medium sized, £25 pretty big guest.. and anything above that you can't really use price as an indicator..
This event has 0x £20 and 1x £25+ Film and TV guests. I think LFCCw had 3x £20 and 3x £25+ Guests. What if Amanda cancels?

I'm still holding out hope that SM will pull out a couple of great announcements in the upcoming weeks. There's still time :)

• Like 5

Well I must admit that I am slightly disappointed with the line up as it currently stands :crying: If it wasn't for the great boxers attending then I do not think I would bother going TBH :no: I am extremely surprised that more quality guests have not been added to the show now that WLFCC is out of the way which leads me to think that SM have slightly overreached and dare I say overstretched their budget for this year?? SM rarely disappoint me BUT this Collectormania is pushing all the wrong buttons for me :grump:

• Like 1

I get that there might not be guests that are of interest but I'm shocked that someone wouldn't have heard of any of them.

You've got to admit David that this line-up falls far short of what MK Collectormania visitors usually enjoy.

Fair enough, if Showmasters want to concentrate on other shows rather than the MK event then that is their decision to make, but please don't patronise us. It is obvious to anyone who looks at the Collectormania 22 web page that the current line-up is nothing like the ones usually advertised.

If this is how the line-up ends up for MK 22, then that is not a problem, its not worth getting all bent out of shape about... I just won't attend the event. The advertised guests will obviously be of interest to some of the hardcore fans and that is fine - good luck to them. This won't put me off visiting future MK events (Assuming the line-up improves), I am just really disappointed that an event I look forward to attending every year looks like it has been relegated to a second division show.

• Like 6

I think we've been used to amazing line-ups of late we've been a little spoiled. As I said in an earlier post, I don't think we should ever expect the same size events we get in the summer at winter. Guests are more likely to be busy. That said, it probably doesn't help with people coming on her complaining and calling this a "poor" line up. First off, every has different tastes, and secondly, if you really want more guests to come along, it's only going to put them off if they see things like that written all over the boards.

It has nothing to do with being spoiled, expecting the same amount of guests as LFCC Summer, different people having different preferences in guests, or moaning for the sake of moaning.

If you look back over the past Milton Keynes shows you will see the type of guests has always been varied, with something for most folk. That was the reason I attended my first show in 2004; it had stars of Doctor Who, Battlestar Galactica, Star Trek, Star Wars, Flash Gordon, Lord of the Rings, Stargate, James Bond, Superman, The A-Team, all together in one show. In the decade following, each show replicated and expanded upon that formula. Can you honestly say, looking back at all the previous line-ups for Milton Keynes, that this is a show to be excited about?

• Like 5

I get that there might not be guests that are of interest but I'm shocked that someone wouldn't have heard of any of them.

I'm pretty up there with my tv watching and stuff and I've only seen one of them on tv. That man that played little john on the one doctor who episode and he ddn't even say anything. I've heard of three of them but only because my friends have spoke of them in relation to this event.

I mean I love showmasters and always will but this is pants. It doesn't take much to make me happy either, one small character guest from game of thrones and I'd be happy. I mean even Pal McGann isn't here and he does almost every SM event

• Like 1

Can I also say, I am a big Star Wars fan and even enjoy meeting some of the lesser actors who played well-known aliens, but even for me there is nothing here. I met Caroline Blakiston in 2004 for an autograph but didn't get a photo, so would happily attend this show if she did a photo-shoot...but she isn't. Mike Edmonds isn't doing a shoot either. The 6 unnamed and uncredited extras are of no interest to me, and neither is an AT-AT driver. I know we keep saying "Star Wars fans will be happy" but I think you'd have to be a pretty hardcore completist to want to meet these Star Wars guests. (Again, no offence to those actors, but they know themselves they were uncredited in any of the movies)

Also, I mentioned how I would love a Caroline Blakiston photo-shoot and desperately want Kenny Baker to attend and for a Time Bandits reunion photo to be done with Malcolm and Mike, but this is something else that has not been aknowledged by Showmasters. Fair enough, there may be reasons they are not happening or they may be still to come, but it would be nice if the suggestions were at least aknowleged. No point in arranging them at the eleventh hour when potential attendees have made their choice not to attend.

Very good points here. Now if I was attending for the first convention EVER and didn't know about the previous guest lists, I might be a bit excited, otherwise not a bit.

I can never forget my first CMMK in May 2012, when they had guests such as FIVE Doctors, John Barrowman and Karen Gillan plus all the other big names from many other fandoms. I consider myself as a fan of many different tv shows and movies so usually I have at least 10 guests I'm meeting. In this event even "the most familiar faces" aren't attending and that surprises me.

One thing that amazes me are these first time signers from Star Wars. I went through some older posts and found these statements from Jason:

we plan to let everyone know who these guests are around 5 to 7 days out from the show that we our work is protected and you get to know what else they have worked on :-)

Hope that is helpful to everyone

jason

The guests is not Leeanna Walsman

we have found another actress that played Zam Wessell that know one knows about which is very cool.

Both actors played the seen in the UK and were not credited.

as you know we spend a lot of time tracking down these rare first time signers and a lot of time gos into finding them.

some time ago we found some first timers and someone tried to book them into another event the week before ours after we put in all the work and resources finding them and booking them so now we have to hold back on the names of these first time signers till the event.

over the years we have managed to bring you all 100s of first time guests its only been star wars this has happened with , its a little annoying but we have no other option , i hope you understand where we are coming form and see we want to be able to keep on spending the time to find new people and bring them first to our events.

see you at the event

jason

So okay.. first of all. Actors who were not even credited?! They rather spend time finding people who attract only small part of fans and aren't even big names with maybe only one scene? I'm sorry, but I don't really get this.. I understand that Star Wars fans most likely appreciate them, but why go through so much work for such unknown actors? For me, there is nothing "cool" about owning an autograph from a person no one else knows.

And revealing their names after the shop has closed, okay, no problem with that, if none of them is doing a photoshoot.

I too would very much like to hear what SM has to say about the poor guest list. I already feel bad about the actors attending, it's gonna be a quiet weekend.

• Like 5

Is everyone here desperate for this show to be a failure and never reoccur?

I ask only because the comments here seem designed to achieve that and appear in no way to consider SM and their view of the world. There are obviously reasons why you aren't seeing the people you'd like. But regardless of whether you personally or as a group feel the line up doesn't justify attending I see no reason to attack and belittle SM which is what is happening.

If I was SM reading this thread and was currently in negotiation with [....] (feel free to insert whoever is your most wanted guest) I'd think about rescheduling them to another event. After all with no attendees what would be the point, there are fees and costs to bringing actors to these events. The tone here seems to be that SM owe you a line up you're interested in, there seems to be a feeling that SM have contractually let you down in some way by not getting at the very least [...] and [...] to the show plus more actors from [...]. This show has 50 guests attending and free entry. If the travel costs/times are too high or there's no one in that 50 that you want then you shouldn't attend. But this approach of demanding an explanation from SM is never going to get a reply. At best you'll get something from Jason telling you why he can't reply and we know these reasons already.

SM is a business they exist to make Jason and co. rich. So he wants every event to be a success. Whatever the reasons your favourite star isn't coming its not because Jason didn't want them. But it might be because this thread is persuading people its not worth attending. So Jason knows that inviting [...] won't be justified.

So right now I don't think the line up will significantly improve, because like guests who might read these threads and be discouraged from coming, I'm sure SM read them and can be similarly discouraged.

If the event is a financial failure then SM will have to think long and hard before running it again. You're not required to support an event that's not to your taste, and if SM aren't getting the guests you want then I don't think you should attend. They are a business they make a profit out of me and you. They don't reduce costs when things go well so I see no reason to support them if there's no one here of interest. But equally I see no reason to attack them and demand they explain why.

• Like 2

Nobody wants the show to be a failure. Everybody wants to go but people need a reason to justify travel and hotel costs and at the moment there isn't. Most people on here remember then excellent shows in the Shopping Centre and the excellent show in May this year. More of the same would have been great.

• Like 3

Disappointed is right. Star Wars fans may love it because there are a fair amount of first time signers, unfortunately not for me and many others by the sounds of it.

It does annoy me people assume Star Wars or Doctor Who fans will be happy all the tme - some of us are a tough crowd to please.

Can I also say, I am a big Star Wars fan and even enjoy meeting some of the lesser actors who played well-known aliens, but even for me there is nothing here. I met Caroline Blakiston in 2004 for an autograph but didn't get a photo, so would happily attend this show if she did a photo-shoot...but she isn't. Mike Edmonds isn't doing a shoot either. The 6 unnamed and uncredited extras are of no interest to me, and neither is an AT-AT driver. I know we keep saying "Star Wars fans will be happy" but I think you'd have to be a pretty hardcore completist to want to meet these Star Wars guests. (Again, no offence to those actors, but they know themselves they were uncredited in any of the movies)

Exactly. Believe me, I've some obsure names in my collection, but some of those are borderline, even for me.

These guests will please the rarer dealers, I expect their patronage will cover these guests fees alone. But for the general SW fan they don't offer a huge draw.

Edited by TerraHawk
  • Like 1