Ewan McGregor

StuartG2198

I think he should just do a signing and make a huge amount for his charitable causes in the process. The leeches would hate that. Like them or not they do provide a service with no moral alternative. If he did a signing, it devalues what they are trying to sell.

James Earl Jones was happy to sign for free - he believed the more he signed the less they would be worth.

Here's the quote in particular:

The people I meet are the fuckers who want me to sign Star Wars photos so they can sell them on the Internet or the people at premieres who are crushing children against barriers to get me to sign their **** picture of Obi-Wan Kenobi. They're not fans—they're parasitical lowlifes and **** wankers."

Guess the chances of us seeing him at an event is zero?

• Like 1

• Moderators

Would love to meet Ewan he has been way up on my "to meet list" for years, and yes most notably for Star Wars as I was 9 years old when episode one was released so he was one of the coolest actors on screen to me back then and still is today.

The comments in these articles saddened me a bit if I'm honest, if I had the opportunity to meet Ewan I would definitely want him to sign alot of my Star Wars stuff (amongst other things) but I would certainly feel more awkward about asking him to sign Star Wars items now

Can't really blame him. Heard so many horror stories about the way some dealers behave at premiers and stage doors I'm surprised more people don't have this kind of attitude. It's slowly killing our hobby if you ask me. How do you tell a "genuine fan" from someone who's just going to try and sell it?

• Like 3

Guess the chances of us seeing him at an event is zero?

He's on the how much would you pay list? So I wouldn't count him out. As I say, the best way for him to fight back is to do an event.

True. But how many years ago was that survey put up? Times changed. Don't get me wrong, I would LOVE to meet Ewan. He's a legend. But if SM insists that all items can be signed (within reason) and Ewan's party arguing only non-Star Wars items can be signed. Then there's an impasse.

Can't really blame him. Heard so many horror stories about the way some dealers behave at premiers and stage doors I'm surprised more people don't have this kind of attitude. It's slowly killing our hobby if you ask me. How do you tell a "genuine fan" from someone who's just going to try and sell it?

Ask them a question that only a true fan could answer on the spot? Or personalise the item.

• Like 1

Ask them a question that only a true fan could answer on the spot? Or personalise the item.

But even real fans will have multi signed items that they wouldn't want personalising so that wouldn't be fair on them. I've got posters with loads of signatures on that aren't personalised that I have no intention of selling, just feel they look better without my name all over them.

• Like 3

I met him at a Q&A theatre event a few years ago in Southwark, London and he happily waited and signed my three Star Wars posters with absolutely no problems whatsoever, with a smile on his face and then still with a smile on his face happily took a photo with me. He was a nice chap.

It is obvious from his recent comments that he just has an issue with dealers that want multiple autographs from him to sell on. As a collector it can be frustrating when you are at a premiere or any event if there are dealers and they end up getting multiples while you get nothing, but they do provide a service to real fans that cannot attend these types of events. I think it is just the manners that some individuals have, be they dealers or real fans, when trying to get an autograph as there can be pushing and shoving but for dealers it is their livelihood and the real fans are just so overly excited to meet their idol.

Presumably he has had plenty of bad experiences with dealer types and maybe that has soured him, but I know many dealers that are lovely people.

Hopefully he will speak to his Uncle Denis and do an event such as Showmasters for the 'real' fans.

Edited by nvirtue

Would be nice if he did. Its a double edged sword really. He may have had a few issues with some people/ dealers which in turn affects people like us. But if Mr McDiramid can do a show surely not all is lost. It is sad though that sometimes we feel a bit apprehensive in asking for said items to be signed. I would love my five items of Who merchandise signed by Mr Eccleston but i don't want to be sheepish about it:(

But even real fans will have multi signed items that they wouldn't want personalising so that wouldn't be fair on them. I've got posters with loads of signatures on that aren't personalised that I have no intention of selling, just feel they look better without my name all over them.

Exactly! I don't like my items personalised because I don't like having my name written multiple times all over the place.

There has been times where the celebrity would make a comment (or a joke) about selling their autograph when I ask them not to personalise it. It's a tad embarrassing.

Some celebrities (such as Alan Rickman) will only personalise because they are aware that majority of the people who approach them are not genuine fans, but those to make a quick buck.

I applaud Ewan McGregor's quote.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a hugh movie fan. And i do collect some autographs on my blu-rays, and no i wouldnt want to have them personalised either.

Partly cause the space would run out with my name all over the cover. XD And also cause i want my kid to get the movies when i get old, and if he wants to he can sell them. On the other hand i would never approach a celeb on the street like that. I will pay for my autographs and hopfully get an photo too. :D

Back in 2011 I met Ewan and held out my Star (multisigned) Wars BluRay which he very nicely signed, and I was very appreciative of this, a few months later I was able to ask his Uncle if he could sign next to him.

The person RIGHT next to me had a Star (multisigned) Wars item which Ewan ignored.

I wouldn't rule him out of an event at all personally. he would be what I would consider a diamond guest, he is someone who, if there was the possibility of meeting him, getting an autograph or two and a photoshoot + talk, would happily spend £300+ for. To a dealer trying to make a worthwhile profit from his autograph, it isn't worth spending the money to get a diamond guest ticket when they don't want the photoshoot or talk (unless their a fan too)! The diamond passes can have a lot of flexibility that could put dealers off and be beneficial for fans! :D

• 2 weeks later...