C Thomas Howell Price

I think its a little naughty on his part, and on Showmasters too for allowing him to hike on the day. The Con relies on the goodwill of the attendees as much as, if not moreso than, the guests. After all the guests are BEING paid to attend, and we are paying TO attend.

For those working to a tight budget, this would have made a big impact, and as Bunny said, it cost her James' autograph, which is unfair.

Poor form, sir!

• Like 2

I think its a little naughty on his part, and on Showmasters too for allowing him to hike on the day. The Con relies on the goodwill of the attendees as much as, if not moreso than, the guests. After all the guests are BEING paid to attend, and we are paying TO attend.

For those working to a tight budget, this would have made a big impact, and as Bunny said, it cost her James' autograph, which is unfair.

Poor form, sir!

I worked to a seriously tight budget- and for quite some time I was humming and aaaahing about meeting him but was told how he's never been here before which made the pull to meet him even more so, I kept making calculations as my budget fluctuated as to whether I could still meet him, even on the journey up there I was still trying to make my budget fit.

Am I glad I met him? Yes, of course, he's in one I my favourite movies (and E.T. Itself has a wonderful history including a brilliant success story when I met Mr. Spielberg let's not forget he was in some pretty integral scenes including getting E.T. Back to the ship.

I don't have ANY ill feeling towards C Thomas at all, I found him to be very pleasant indeed, we shook hands, he signed precisely where I aske him to sign- but £5 more than was advertised? Plus (as is evident from this thread and the C Thomas Howell pic thread) different people paid two prices

Edited by KingRichard76

Yep I paid 15 on Saturday then decided on Sunday to get another auto and handed 15 over and was told it's 20??? I didn't want to make a fuss at time.

In my opinion that shouldn't happen, you can't charge one price then decide to up it next day. I believe the reason for the rise is Thomas saw ralph getting 25 and thought hey I think I can get more for me!

Don't get me wrong I would happily pay 20 for Thomas as I think it would be more than worth it but changing prices is wrong in my eyes

Still had a great time and c Tomas was a real nice friendly guy

He was definitely £20 when I got him yesterday (Sunday) afternoon as well, and I did do a double take when I got to the desk as I was expecting £15, but having queued it's not really the place in front of a guest to start haggling over a £5 so just paid it and thought I must have got the figure wrong, but good to see I wasn't the only one.

Well, I didn't attend the show. My arrangements and prepaid tickets went in the bin when Diana Muldaur cancelled. So, admittedly, what I am relaying is a second-hand experience.

However, my Sister did attend the show and had issues with C. Thomas Howell exactly as described above.

Nothing against him personally, as he apparently was kind, chatty and friendly. The last-second price hike, as others have said above, was annoying and done in such a way that it was obviously difficult to quibble at the table. But also, a couple of people were having pics (posed) over the table, which seemed fine because, apparently, nobody mentioned it was not allowed and there were no signs around.

But then these stopped suddenly when the crew decided to just jump in randomly after someone else requested a picture over the table.
It gave the impression the crew were picking on people randomly, and just stopping the pictures for most of them, while letting a few others get them. This appeared to be nothing to do with the guest, he repeatedly told people he always did them. My Sister was a couple of people back in the line, and had a camera in her hand. Though she wanted a picture she wouldn't cause a scene, was happy with the autograph but casually asked what the deal was, when taking a photo. Mr. Howell saw the camera and said, "sorry, they [i.e. the crew] don't like me doing pictures...". however he quietly said when & where to come back, and he would gladly do them then. As my Sister was around later anyway, she did. And he gladly posed for a lovely picture.

So she was doubly happy at the end of the day. Though I can imagine that some people may have gone away disappointed if there's no indication that pics will be stopped at the table, and then the crew change their mind arbitrarily.

I'm quite baffled that SM are still claiming they will not stop guests from doing pics over the table if they want to do them. Does anybody still believe that?!

It was a shame about the price increase, as I budgeted the 15. I'm glad a friend text me asking about the price, as if i went over with the 15 pounds I would of been embarrassed as I only took the money I budgeted for the event... I had to go out and withdraw more money out.

As far as I am aware this is not an American style show where guests run their own tables. If it was then it's understandable that guests can do whatever they like in terms of prices and photos, that I have absolutely no issue with. My point is that he was advertised until the day of the show to be £15 which I thought is what Showmasters had worked out with him or his agent (The guests days and prices thread was updated at 13.40 on Saturday with no mention of what was edited that I could see on a mobile device). Why did Showmasters not clarify everything with the guests before the show? And why was his price change not communicated on any social media to inform customers of a last minute change? Poor form for both the guest and Showmasters. I have heard of guests changing their prices due to guests around them charging more but this is practically unheard of at a UK show such as this. Extremely disappointed.

Edited by bunny-summers
  • Like 4

I'm quite baffled that SM are still claiming they will not stop guests from doing pics over the table if they want to do them. Does anybody still believe that?!

I've had a guest before (won't mention who) that told me she couldn't pose with a pic a friend had drawn of her, because it wasn't allowed. But she said if she put said pic next to her, and happened to look up as the camera went off, then what could they do. Kinda suggests to me she was more than happen to pose, but had been told not to do so.

Perhaps there is more to this than meets the eye then, especially as he seems to have changed his price from one day to the next.

Would be good to get some clarification from Showmasters on what actually happened if anyone is around ?

I have already forwarded the link to this topic to the office. Unfortunately this is nothing the mods can answer.

I've had a guest before (won't mention who) that told me she couldn't pose with a pic a friend had drawn of her, because it wasn't allowed. But she said if she put said pic next to her, and happened to look up as the camera went off, then what could they do. Kinda suggests to me she was more than happen to pose, but had been told not to do so.

I've commented in my blog review about something that happened to me early on Saturday regarding this very matter which meant I didn't get a photo with a particular guest when the two people in front of me did. Though I hasten to add that what happened in my case had nothing to do with SM or even the guest who was great to meet and clearly had been happy to do photos, it was purely from the agent instructing the guest and crew member to stop posed photos because they needed to sell more photoshoot tickets.

As I said, nothing to do with SM or the guest and this won't be the reason in all cases, I know some people react badly to flashes or are too old to keep getting up and down etc. Though my friend got one with the same guest later on Sunday when it was really quiet but them's the breaks. Posed photos I always treat as a bonus. Some people won't meet a guest if they aren't doing posed photos but I don't go that far. Hearing the reason for it though did make me feel like I was being bullied into buying a proper photoshoot which I did not have the money to do when the guest was clearly happy to do them at the start.

Maybe they should start considering bringing in the system often used in the US where you pay a smaller amount to get a desk photo on your own camera, say £5. Those that don't want a professional one can still guarantee getting one and everyone else makes a bit of extra that they wouldn't have got because the person wouldn't have bought a professional shoot.

Just a thought may be and although it would be more expense, would it not keep everyone happy and solve this recurring issue?

• Like 1

Well, I didn't attend the show. My arrangements and prepaid tickets went in the bin when Diana Muldaur cancelled. So, admittedly, what I am relaying is a second-hand experience.

However, my Sister did attend the show and had issues with C. Thomas Howell exactly as described above.

Nothing against him personally, as he apparently was kind, chatty and friendly. The last-second price hike, as others have said above, was annoying and done in such a way that it was obviously difficult to quibble at the table. But also, a couple of people were having pics (posed) over the table, which seemed fine because, apparently, nobody mentioned it was not allowed and there were no signs around.

But then these stopped suddenly when the crew decided to just jump in randomly after someone else requested a picture over the table.

It gave the impression the crew were picking on people randomly, and just stopping the pictures for most of them, while letting a few others get them. This appeared to be nothing to do with the guest, he repeatedly told people he always did them. My Sister was a couple of people back in the line, and had a camera in her hand. Though she wanted a picture she wouldn't cause a scene, was happy with the autograph but casually asked what the deal was, when taking a photo. Mr. Howell saw the camera and said, "sorry, they [i.e. the crew] don't like me doing pictures...". however he quietly said when & where to come back, and he would gladly do them then. As my Sister was around later anyway, she did. And he gladly posed for a lovely picture.

So she was doubly happy at the end of the day. Though I can imagine that some people may have gone away disappointed if there's no indication that pics will be stopped at the table, and then the crew change their mind arbitrarily.

When I saw him, I asked for a pic with him he very kindly and graciously said he wasn't allowed to but said I could take a pic of him, so there is that.

I've commented in my blog review about something that happened to me early on Saturday regarding this very matter which meant I didn't get a photo with a particular guest when the two people in front of me did. Though I hasten to add that what happened in my case had nothing to do with SM or even the guest who was great to meet and clearly had been happy to do photos, it was purely from the agent instructing the guest and crew member to stop posed photos because they needed to sell more photoshoot tickets.

As I said, nothing to do with SM or the guest and this won't be the reason in all cases, I know some people react badly to flashes or are too old to keep getting up and down etc. Though my friend got one with the same guest later on Sunday when it was really quiet but them's the breaks. Posed photos I always treat as a bonus. Some people won't meet a guest if they aren't doing posed photos but I don't go that far. Hearing the reason for it though did make me feel like I was being bullied into buying a proper photoshoot which I did not have the money to do when the guest was clearly happy to do them at the start.

Maybe they should start considering bringing in the system often used in the US where you pay a smaller amount to get a desk photo on your own camera, say £5. Those that don't want a professional one can still guarantee getting one and everyone else makes a bit of extra that they wouldn't have got because the person wouldn't have bought a professional shoot.

Just a thought may be and although it would be more expense, would it not keep everyone happy and solve this recurring issue?

Without naming names guests/attendees something happened in a VERY busy line near to C Thomas Howell and from what I could make out this guest was ok (at one point with posed pictures at the desk(?)) for what an attendee wanted, and apparently he was refused this - and thats when it all kicked off and I have to say I was kind of worried for the crew member in an orange top who had to sort this out as best she could. The attendee was NOT happy at all as from what I understand the person who was in front of him got a posed picture.

I'm sure I saw the attendee later on in the day and he was cool at that point.

Perhaps there should have been "No Posed Photo" signs up as there are normally, this would have made for a much better experience for all involved(?)

• Like 1

Was that the guy who insisted on a refund on his auto as he couldn't get a pic too? He was starting to get aggressive with a crew member and I was about to step in when he grabbed his pic and left.

• Like 1

Was that the guy who insisted on a refund on his auto as he couldn't get a pic too? He was starting to get aggressive with a crew member and I was about to step in when he grabbed his pic and left.

Ah yep, that was him. From what I heard he wanted the refund so he could go and get a photoshoot with him. Then he came back whilst the Guest was with another attendee swooped in, grabbed a 10x8 off his desk and then went off. Said crew member was visibly shaken when I spoke to her afterwards. :(

I'm sorry but a photo at the desk is a bonus, not anything you can expect. Sounds like completely unreasonable behaviour from the attendee. And this is a different case to the one I was referring to in my other reply.

• Like 5

I've always considered them a bonus, its a nice little freebie you get in with the autograph. If you want a photo that bad then book a photoshoot.... job done

I don't disagree with you, but if people are clearly getting photos at the table with multiple crew members okaying it, and the guest is posing and saying he's/she is ok to do photos, AND there are no signs up saying 'no posed pics' - everyone I spoke to who went near C. Thomas Howell said there wasn't, either with him or the guests along his line, - then I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a photo at the table.

The blatant attempt to force people towards the paid shoots, and the autograph price increase discussed here, can hardly be all down to coincidence. I should add "IMHO."