Should showmaster do some sort of cosplay discount ticket

BLACKKNIGHTS

• Showmasters Admin

My instant issue is where is the line between Cosplaying and just wearing something from a show I like?

It might be obvious that a person in a full Chewbacca outfit is in cosplay but what about a person just wearing a Star Trek uniform t-shirt and jeans. I sometimes wear an Iron-man torso t-shirt. Is that Cosplay? Should they get the discount? What's the minimum?

Who on the day says "That's Cosplay, you get the discount!" or "You've obviously just taped some bark to your face, you are NOT Groot, that's not Cosplay!"?

• Like 1

My instant issue is where is the line between Cosplaying and just wearing something from a show I like?

It might be obvious that a person in a full Chewbacca outfit is in cosplay but what about a person just wearing a Star Trek uniform t-shirt and jeans. I sometimes wear an Iron-man torso t-shirt. Is that Cosplay? Should they get the discount? What's the minimum?

Who on the day says "That's Cosplay, you get the discount!" or "You've obviously just taped some bark to your face, you are NOT Groot, that's not Cosplay!"?

I am too, Groot :'( :P

Should showmaster do some sort of cosplay discount ticket as all we do is go there to entertain people, we get nothing for it, like a lot of other cosplayers out there :smile:

Surely it's enough to have all of us non cosplayers looking on in awe at your wonderful costumes and wanting to have our pictures with you ? :smile:

• Like 1

While I agree with your logic, there are many ways that could go wrong. As previously stated. Also, with cosplay discounts in place, everybody would turn up in full cosplay demanding all the privileges that came with it, so virtually no one (or very few) would end up paying full price for anything. Just my thoughts, though. Gotta agree with Too Tall.

Glad you said that before me StarryKat. Some costumes are quite impressive, others are rubbish, but I wouldn't say any of them "entertain" me any more than if someone was wearing a T-shirt I liked. You don't need to come dressed up for our benefit, we would enjoy the show just as much without cosplay. Plus, the inconvenience of not being able to use toilets due cosplayers using them as changing rooms, tight aisles being blocked by cosplayers...I'd actually prefer LESS cosplayers at these shows.

• Like 2

sometimes cosplayers don't even entertain people but sometimes annoy, frustrate and get in the way of others. don't be so entitled to think that every cosplay automatically entertains people.

I doubt they do this on purpose. That said, I did once witness a cosplayer trying to push through crowds and cut lines, which was all the more annoying due to the numerous props and accessories she was wearing. I dunno, but either way I don't think that cosplayers are there solely for the entertainment of others. As a beginning cosplayer I can say that the only reason I'm so enthusiastic about my planned cosplays is because I love doing it for myself. Period.

That said, I wouldn't object to people taking photos and such. But I think the majority of cosplayers do what they do for their own benefit.

• 2 weeks later...

I wouldn't say it's a case of being annoying on purpose, just that they do often get in the way. But I agree with what you say about people doing it because they want to do it and have fun. The original poster made it sound like cosplayers deserve a discount because they are only there to provide an entertainment service, which isn't true. If you're treating is as an alternative "job" then you're taking it way too seriously.