Sherlocked Update

Massive Events

This should never have been so childishly announced back in February, they should have done the mature thing and waited until things were finalised before actually saying anything to the waiting world. I really do think it'll come back and bite them in the arras for being so immature as people, including myself, are getting increasingly annoyed about the lack of communication for this ''event''.

This was what I was trying to get at in my last post. I'll admit comparing it to the Rangers event was probably unnecessary but what I meant by it was why announce something that has nothing to go on? The Rangers event had dates, guests and everything all in one go why didn't this one?

Why not announce an event along with dates and stuff as soon as you announce the event?

If its all about seeing if this is going to be popular or not then just put it on and hope for the best, people that have registered interest may of just given up by now so your loosing people anyway with this lack of communication and it taking so long.

It is rather frustrating and I'll admit I haven't read most of this thread but can only assume things have fallen through

I'm hoping guest wise for Benedict, Martin, Andrew and Mark Gatiss but now I think ll be lucky if we get anyone :no:

Edited by Sassy1988

• Moderators

Nothing has fallen through.

The original registration for interest was simply to get an idea on scope.

The Rangers event is your traditional Massive Events convention with a few hundred attendees. Everyone behind Sherlocked wants to make sure as many as possible can attend when it's done so there was no point going ahead and organising a hotel con which only has 800 attendees maximum if the demand was far greater. And it is.

And if there's anything we know about Sherlock fans, they're not going to lose interest even if this takes a while to put together. It's frustrating yes but it doesn't mean we're not going to get any decent guests etc. That's the whole point of the collaboration with those involved with the show - to put on the best event possible.

• Like 1

I don't think anyone is buying that it was put out to try to scope interest they have never ever done anything like that before and it's clear to see from plenty of other sources that Sherlock and Benedict have a huge fanbase all of whom are willing to spend money to see these people.

It should have been clear from the ticket sales for the other event selling out that there is interest out there and it did not need doing at all we all know why it was done and when it was done, just no one will actually admit that they pulled such a childish stunt but like I say I personally think it's backfired somewhat as thankfully a good number of people have had the chance to meet BC especially now his career and Martins have exploded so their schedules will be packed and I'm guessing they won't have time for a convention.

People are rapidly losing interest in this knowing that there's a large chance the main 2 won't be at it even if it does go ahead and the big thing that's letting SM/ME down is the distinct lack of information and communication and the way that they disregard the fact that they were feeling petty and put out an announcement, which it was it was in no way just a small register your interest post it was a detailed event announcement albeit without any actual info. Shocking way to do business and it will lose them customers as is proving evident with these very posts in this thread.

• Like 3

True, the timing of the announcement did come across as petty, all the more so as they had no concrete plans at that point and are still trying to get them sorted. I do realise that trying to get a suitable weekend and work it around very busy actor's schedules is tough, but reallly it would have been better if nothing had been announced, or if they had not promised weekly updates when they've been too busy (or just not remembered) to give them.

I do hope that the event happens, but given the timescale and the fact that the vaguely proposed time (feb/march/april) is getting closer and closer, I am no longer sure I'd be able to go.

Edited by jcAngel
  • Like 2

lol what if ME where trying to tease us and really they had all the details but where leaving it as an X-Mas prezzy and when X-Mas came they would announce everything that we needed to know and all the guests most of us wanted. And said 'Merry X-Mas we only wanted to play a game with you all' and all our worries where over lol ah one can dream :lol:

I did at least see a comment from Jason on the Facebook page the other day where he replied to someone saying that this had been the most challenging event they had ever tried to organise and that this was largely due to the actors schedules. The inference I tool from it was that they probably wouldn't be giving any more updates until they had something concrete to announce.

Not ideal but personally I don't mind that, if I know there's definitely no more weekly updates then I won't bother looking for them. I've said before I'd rather wait a long time for a great event than have them run something for the sake of it which turns out to be a damp squib so they don't bother again.

Maybe in the meantime, one or two guests from the series at other events would just keep people ticking over!

• Like 2

Maybe it would help then if he came over here and said something as well instead of just FB

Have to agree and I find it rather frustrating if they plan on just keeping those on FB informed, not everyone can use/has FB :rolleyes:

Oh well guess they will announce something on here when/if something concrete about the event does pop up until then paws crossed it eventually all works out lol probably wont get anything till after the New Year now though <_<

Interesting to see peoples replies to this, I think there are lots of variables as discussed, and those variables change, for an actor who might not be busy, suddenly has the offer of work, can you imagine they say the main cast are all going, and then one pulls out because of work commitments? People will say its a scam.. better to wait for dates that are unlikely to change, perhaps when the cast are together anyway whilst filming... its also difficult to keep people updated every week or month, just repeating "nothing to see here.." would create a similar effect as no communication.

• Like 2

Benedict has so much things he is filming, a lot is Marvel, Martin is the same, and so is Andrew Scott with the new bond film.

If the two main guys aren't there, then I doubt I'd go, I might depending on if it's near (which I very doubt, Scotland barley get any big conventions) but if it was in London and Benedict and/or Martin weren't there, I doubt I'd go.

I understand so much happens behind the scenes with talking to agents about when/where etc, trying to work around filming schedules. But everyone in the show getting big roles and other stuff going on outside the event, I'm losing hope :(

Really hope I'm wrong and something is annouced soon

• Like 1

ItsWilliam - it is taking place in London unless something drastic happens. Silentbob no guest is guaranteed as you are aware. Every guest at every convention is booked 'subject to work commitments' and is advertised as such although it is easy for non experienced people to miss this. Unfortunately if they do manage to get Ben and Martin and one does have to pull out due to work or other emergencies there may be people who will say it was a scam but as long as that wording is included they won't have a legitimate reason to complain. Unfortunately guests do pull out.

Also as this is being done in conjunction with Hartswood Films it's actually as official as it can be so they aren't going to lie about having a guest booked if they don't when the company behind the show would see it.

• Like 1

Well it's been 10 months since the ''announcement'' and nothing else has been confirmed since, for me this is not the way to go about getting people to come to your events, they never should have said anything until they had some concrete details such as a venue and date.

I wonder if we'll get to the 1 year anniversary of Benedict's appearance and the glorious day that I finally got to meet him and there'll still be nothing confirmed, only 8 weeks to go :whistling:

• Like 1

Unless it's written into a contract you probably can't bar the stars from appearing a convention/event if it's not related to a specific program/film. So yes, they probably won't be able to advertise any others as a Sherlock event but that wouldn't stop any of the stars appearing at any other event if they wanted to go, whether it be a general signing show or a convention - Ben could obviously go to Star Trek event for example.

Edited by Raylenth

Having helped out at events many years ago I know that back in the day some contracts, depending on the guests, had either side of the event clauses where they could not promote a specific show or attend other events for a certain period of time. It is pretty standard for any contract in what ever industry where the employer wants to protect his or her investment. Heck, my contract at work states I cannot get another job alongside my current one in the same industry as it would be deemed a conflict of interests.

Filming of the sherlock 2015 christmas special starts in 2/3 days time and then Mark Gaitiss himself has said that series 4 isn't going to be for a very long while due to filming commitments of actors. If BBC themselves can't get actors in one place to film I can't see them coming together for a convention easily either.

Benedict has Black Mass, Sherlock, Magik, The Yellow Birds, The Lost City of Z, Jungle Book, Flying Horses and Dr Strange in the next couple of years, which need filming and promoted.

Martin has Sherlock, The Eichmann Show, The Taliban Shuffle, and Funny Cow,

Andrew is doing The Hollow Crown Victor Frankenstein and Spectre

Rupert is doing, Sacrifice, Bone in the throat, and vanentines kiss.

How on earth they'll be able to get them all together is beyond me and of course they'll probably take on even more work bless them.

I'll glad I'm not showmasters, must be so frustrating.

Mark - you started this thread on 28th August with a promise to improve communication.

You then posted again on 26th September apologising for "being late" but things were hopefully going to start coming together "within a fortnight"

Since then you have not posted anything. I'm not sure that really qualifies as improved communication!

Do you hold your customers in such low regard that you are happy to leave us 'dangling'? If there have been complications and hold ups etc etc.....we're grown up....we'll understand. But to completely disregard your promise to keep us informed - is unprofessional and verging on rude.

In just over 4 weeks it will be a YEAR since this event was "announced" and apparently it had already been worked on since mid 2013.

Is this event actually going to go ahead?

Please get back in touch with us.....we miss you!

Edited by Doc Bones
  • Like 1

Mark - you started this thread on 28th August with a promise to improve communication.

You then posted again on 26th September apologising for "being late" but things were hopefully going to start coming together "within a fortnight"

Since then you have not posted anything. I'm not sure that really qualifies as improved communication!

Do you hold your customers in such low regard that you are happy to leave us 'dangling'? If there have been complications and hold ups etc etc.....we're grown up....we'll understand. But to completely disregard your promise to keep us informed - is unprofessional and verging on rude.

In just over 4 weeks it will be a YEAR since this event was "announced" and apparently it had already been worked on since mid 2013.

Is this event actually going to going ahead?

Please get back in touch with us.....we miss you!

I hate to say it but this is how the Bitten events ended up being, no communication from organisers whatsoever, lack of guests and they ended up finishing because people (including myself) got fed up with being treated unprofessionally. For me it's about time SM/ME threw in the towel when it comes to weekend conventions and should just stick to the signing events which they already place so much focus on as it would appear that that is all they are interested in.

Come on Mark/Jason the natives are getting restless now and that is not a good thing for potential paying customers to be.